Photo

Ugliest road car of all time?

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#351 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 668 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:04

While this has to be a concern of some female drivers I don't think it applies to the majority-certainly not my wife-for a variety of reasons! I think many women, and a few men, regard cars the same way they do refrigerators and toasters-as appliances.
That doesn't account for the Pontiac Aztec though does it? A friend who owns a very well known automotive bookstore and model shop swears by his Aztec, althought the greatest tribute he seems able to pay it is that it was cheap...

LotusElise, you have outed yourself as of the female persuasion-that possibly throws a whole different light on your comment about going country to country with a skiing instructor in a Bongo Friendee (whatever that is!) :blush: :wave:

I didn't go with the snowboard instructor. I just know him. I've never been skiing. Sorry to disappoint.

The thing about cars as appliances is probably true. There are some people who are actually proud of having that sort of viewpoint. They think it makes them somehow non-materialistic and straightforward, when it just means they look like a bit of a plonker in car parks and at petrol stations.

Advertisement

#352 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,141 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 21:33

This thread!! Down the beach last night and saw another [or maybe the same one, it too was white] Nissan Cube parked opposite my car. My companion when asked about it said it was cute!! She reckoned she could get a lot of flowers in it,, she is a florist!

#353 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:43

I was going to nominate the Lea Francis Lynx of 1960, but I have just come across the German coachbuilder Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn of Ravensburg - may I present to you a typical example (this wasn't the only one) of their contribution to 1950s motoring:

Posted Image

:(

#354 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:08

Posted Image

That's where Audi got their inspiration from for their entire current range.

#355 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:35

I was going to nominate the Lea Francis Lynx of 1960, but I have just come across the German coachbuilder Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn of Ravensburg - may I present to you a typical example (this wasn't the only one) of their contribution to 1950s motoring:

Posted Image

What the f***!

#356 NPP

NPP

• 119 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:01

What the f***!

indeed, looks like two cars copulating

#357 Dipster

Dipster

• 237 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:13

indeed, looks like two cars copulating

Do you think the coachbuilder actually had a customer who had specified this design (and colour)? Or was it built in the hope that they had a world beater..... In which case how long did it take to get it sold and what was the discount eventually necessary (I imagine) to shift it?

#358 Mekola

Mekola

• 1,619 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:29

The last ever DeSoto (1961) is one of the ugliest I've ever seen...
Posted Image

#359 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:51

Do you think the coachbuilder actually had a customer who had specified this design (and colour)? Or was it built in the hope that they had a world beater..... In which case how long did it take to get it sold and what was the discount eventually necessary (I imagine) to shift it?

Unfortunately they seem to have built quite a few of them :eek: Mostly on '40s and early '50s American chassis, but at least one was on a Cisitalia :cry:

Advertisement

#360 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 582 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:09

That's where Audi got their inspiration from for their entire current range.

That really is the ugliest car that I've ever seen, the whole front end seems completely pointless.

Edited by garyfrogeye, 13 March 2013 - 10:10.

#361 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:25

That really is the ugliest car that I've ever seen, the whole front end seems completely pointless.

Look up Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn on Google or Wiki, just Spohn should do. Some of the others he did were even worse.

#362 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 67 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:26

Look up Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn on Google or Wiki, just Spohn should do. Some of the others he did were even worse.

Was he known to have enjoyed what are now referred to as "exotic substances"?

#363 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 67 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:34

Enjoy:
http://www.google.co...ved=0CDIQrQMwAw

#364 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:47

Enjoy:
http://www.google.co...ved=0CDIQrQMwAw

Good stuff, but they seem to have missed out my favourite Spohn creation.

Posted Image

He certainly had a way with front-end styling didn't he?

#365 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 67 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:57

Posted Image

Absolutely hideous!

#366 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 582 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:10

Did he have a thing for handlebar mustaches?

#367 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:55

Did he have a thing for handlebar mustaches?

Funny you should mention that. In later life, Hermann lived in obscurity in Ravensburg, when he went out on the street, few people recognised him.

Posted Image

#368 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:09

Funny you should mention that. In later life, Hermann lived in obscurity in Ravensburg, when he went out on the street, few people recognised him.

Posted Image

To put the record straight Hermann Sohn died in 1923 and it is Josef Eiwanger Jr, son of Sohn's partner in the Sohn bodyshop, working to order for his customers who was responsible for the interesting fibre glass Sohn's on this page  ;)

#369 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 14:25

To put the record straight Hermann Sohn died in 1923 and it is Josef Eiwanger Jr, son of Sohn's partner in the Sohn bodyshop, working to order for his customers who was responsible for the interesting fibre glass Sohn's on this page ;)

"To put the record straight..." most of the outlandish devices that emerged from Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn were done the old-fashioned way, panelbeaten not done in fibreglass, though there was a certain amount of GRP on some later cars.

#370 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 55 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:09

Does this one qualify for our Top 10 or not?

Prizes awarded for the make and the place where I took this photo!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/dsc00940ov.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

Jan.

#371 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,259 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 20:59

Originally posted by mikeC

Posted Image

How can anything so hideous have so many similarities to an SP250?

By the way, folks, you have to be careful what you say about the '61 De Soto in front of their owners. They get very upset as there was only 1300 or so of them built before they were dropped and so they are highly treasured...

#372 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:07

"To put the record straight..." most of the outlandish devices that emerged from Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn were done the old-fashioned way, panelbeaten not done in fibreglass, though there was a certain amount of GRP on some later cars.

Corrected :blush:

#373 pete53

pete53

• 367 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:17

How can anything so hideous have so many similarities to an SP250?

By the way, folks, you have to be careful what you say about the '61 De Soto in front of their owners. They get very upset as there was only 1300 or so of them built before they were dropped and so they are highly treasured...

There is an episode of The Simpsons where Homer is re-united with his long lost half-brother who so happens to be manager of an automobile manufacturer. In a moment of "inspiration" the said brother decides to hand over the task of designing the company's next car to Homer in the belief that Homer's taste in car design will be synonymous with that of the typical blue collar working man of the US, thereby guaranteeing success. The two cars pictured above instantly reminded me of this episode as they are almost as hideous as the creation that Homer comes up with ( which, incidentally, ends up destroying his brother's business)

#374 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:38

I was loathe to indulge in a spot of national pride but Ireland has given teh world the Shamrock

Posted Image

This was a horrendous creation built on a sit up an beg Ford Anglia chassis, with "pioneering" glassfibre and plywood bodywork. Built in Co Monaghan which in proper Irish politics is in the province of Ulster but in ROI.

Awful thing. There are a few still floating about (almost literally)

Edited by green-blood, 13 March 2013 - 21:39.

#375 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 21:49

Does this one qualify for our Top 10 or not?

Prizes awarded for the make and the place where I took this photo!

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/dsc00940ov.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

Jan.

GM based Stutz Bearcat in Norway judging by the flags PD is the area code for Arendal in Aust-Agder.

So the Stutz is seen in the car park on Strandsgata, 5527 Haugesund, on the intersection with Asbygata.

Close enough ?

Correction the 70s/80's convertible was the Bearcat and the Coupé was called Blackhawk :blush:

Edited by arttidesco, 13 March 2013 - 22:02.

#376 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 22:15

I was tip-of-the-tongue-ing this Stutz beast. Many of the examples set out here could almost be excused as something we might expect from an untrained, untutored, differently-inspired no-name designer, or an accomplished practical joker. Stutz brought its name and a good deal of other resources to the table, and failed to fill a flush, so to speak.

#377 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 22:28

I was tip-of-the-tongue-ing this Stutz beast. Many of the examples set out here could almost be excused as something we might expect from an untrained, untutored, differently-inspired no-name designer, or an accomplished practical joker. Stutz brought its name and a good deal of other resources to the table, and failed to fill a flush, so to speak.

Of course if Stutz had really wanted to be Superfly they would have started with a Cadillac :smoking:

#378 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 67 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:18

I was loathe to indulge in a spot of national pride but Ireland has given teh world the Shamrock

Posted Image

This was a horrendous creation built on a sit up an beg Ford Anglia chassis, with "pioneering" glassfibre and plywood bodywork. Built in Co Monaghan which in proper Irish politics is in the province of Ulster but in ROI.

Awful thing. There are a few still floating about (almost literally)

It looks a bit like the dear old Metropolitan.

The Torygraph ran a similar review some years back: http://www.google.co...d=0CDQQrQMwBTgo

Beauty is in the eye of etc, and there are some that shouldn't be there, at least I think so. However there are some real stinkers for which there can be no excuse:

Lamborghini LM002
FSO Syrena
Renault Vel Satis
SsanYong Rodius
80s Mustang
Tatra T603
Lightburn Zeta
Mohs Ostentatienne Opera (I think the guy smiling in the photo is either laughing or drunk!)
Aston Martin Bulldog
Lea Francis Lynx
Marcos Mantis
Toyota Scion XB

You have wonder what was going their minds when the design teams came up with these creations.

#379 ewanarm

ewanarm

• 23 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:48

There's a guy who lives near me who has a "mint" Austin Princess in lovely orange with a black vinyl roof - now that was ugly. And what was it about BL in the seventies with their wonderful shades of orange and browns!

Advertisement

#380 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 14:08

The Torygraph ran a similar review some years back: http://www.google.co...d=0CDQQrQMwBTgo

Beauty is in the eye of etc, and there are some that shouldn't be there, at least I think so. However there are some real stinkers for which there can be no excuse:

That Telegraph list is very odd, some of the cars on it certainly weren't great by any stretch of the imagination, but ugliness wasn't their real problem. We'd probably all agree about the Marina being unexciting, but whatever its faults, it wasn't exactly ugly by the standards of the time. They also list the Austin Maxi, not stylish I grant you, but although ungainly, again by the standards of the time, I wouldn't call that one ugly either. The comment makes the usual jibe about the Maxi being unreliable, but not in my experience. I owned two and had another one on loan for a month, none of the three ever gave significant problems over several years and many thousands of miles, none was ever off the road, not exciting certainly, but I thought they were OK.

My last car was an Alfa 159, just about the most handsome vehicle on the roads today, but I got endless comments like "How often has it broken down so far?" The response, though I didn't bother to tell the Mondeo/Vectra driving smartarses should have been "Never once in three years", but some motoring prejudices seem to be everlasting, don't they?

#381 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 668 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 14:55

There's a guy who lives near me who has a "mint" Austin Princess in lovely orange with a black vinyl roof - now that was ugly. And what was it about BL in the seventies with their wonderful shades of orange and browns!

Ford had a particular shade of maroon they used on all their models throughout the 80s and 90s. You never see it now.

When I think of the Seventies, I think of it as being quite orange and brown generally, with some queasy green thrown in. People in the future will look back on pictures of now and wonder what our obsession with silver and gunmetal grey cars was.

#382 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 15:38

...with some queasy green thrown in.

Limeflower! My very first Maxi, I quite liked that colour.

#383 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 55 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 18:26

GM based Stutz Bearcat in Norway judging by the flags PD is the area code for Arendal in Aust-Agder.

So the Stutz is seen in the car park on Strandsgata, 5527 Haugesund, on the intersection with Asbygata.

Close enough ?

Correction the 70s/80's convertible was the Bearcat and the Coupé was called Blackhawk :blush:

Art, you are amazing. Identifying the Stutz is one thing, but how on earth could you get the location spot-on: the parking above the Maritime hotel! I spent 10 days in the town at the time of the film festival in 2010, something to do with pigs, you?

Now I promised an award and have no idea what to present such a knowlegeable person. I made a lot of pictures of our local races in Zandvoort and some F1 in Europe in the seventies, have a few of my Dulon FF, Ascona (we raced > 40 of them Caveliers early 90's), and Triumph2500 and Renault8 youngtimers, and of course from the last ten years frequenting classic events in Spa. So PM me if there is something you're looking for so as not to fould this thread, or would you prefer some confidential inside info on a F1 reject I met in the 70's?

Jan.

#384 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:01

Art, you are amazing. Identifying the Stutz is one thing, but how on earth could you get the location spot-on: the parking above the Maritime hotel!

Jan.

Joys of being and intelweb surfer Jan  ;)

I shall PM you :up:

#385 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 21:14

It looks a bit like the dear old Metropolitan.

Lamborghini LM002
FSO Syrena
Renault Vel Satis
SsanYong Rodius
80s Mustang
Tatra T603
Lightburn Zeta
Mohs Ostentatienne Opera (I think the guy smiling in the photo is either laughing or drunk!)
Aston Martin Bulldog
Lea Francis Lynx
Marcos Mantis
Toyota Scion XB

You have wonder what was going their minds when the design teams came up with these creations.

Now what is wrong with a Lightburn Zeta? Beautiful car produced?? in a washing machine factory which is possibly where its styling came from. Or maybe the concrete mixers produced by the same company , though they had 4 stroke engines and were very tough.
Does anyone have any pictures of these masterpieces!

#386 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:32

Now what is wrong with a Lightburn Zeta? Beautiful car produced?? in a washing machine factory which is possibly where its styling came from. Or maybe the concrete mixers produced by the same company , though they had 4 stroke engines and were very tough.

Try google where I found this one, looks like it was designed by the same guy who designed the Egyptian Rameses :smoking:

#387 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 23:43

... looks like it was designed by the same guy who designed the Egyptian Rameses :smoking:

That one looks like the kind of car your mummy might drive.

#388 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:17

That one looks like the kind of car your mummy might drive.

:lol:

While washing cars for a north London Honda Dealer I learned how horrendous depreciation was on new/newish cars and resolved to never spend more than the bare minimum on motor vehicles unless someone else was paying consequently I have owned some of the planets more interesting looking vehicles.

Posted Image

While I was studying in Paderborn a couple of mates bought this Renault 6 for beer money and in return for lifts to and from Dusseldorf airport they let me use it over the Christmas holiday, it proved to be virtually indestructible,

Posted Image

so when a few years later my then girl friend asked me to teach her to drive I had no hesitation in picking this one up for a book value of £25 and taking her to the Frensham Ponds car park every Saturday morning and teaching her how to drive it round the entire car park, backwards. After a couple of weeks she mastered reverse and parallel parking and we progressed on how to drive forwards, teaching her the difficult bit first seemed to pay dividends, she passed her driving test first time :smoking:

Posted Image

Later that year I bought this delightful pea green '76 240 DL with gravy brown interior for £50 and also paid £250 for a written off '81 240 GLE, swapped over all the running gear from the newer car to the old including bigger 2.3 motor and 4 speed plus overdrive gearbox and also fitted the beige interior from the write off. Sold the remaining bits for £200 most of which was for the alloys from the write off and had a car that could cruise all day long on the autobahns in Germany at just over 100 mph for £100 and drove it over 36,000 miles in 3 years :cool:

Edited by arttidesco, 15 March 2013 - 00:19.

#389 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,259 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:24

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
Now what is wrong with a Lightburn Zeta? Beautiful car produced?? in a washing machine factory which is possibly where its styling came from. Or maybe the concrete mixers produced by the same company, though they had 4 stroke engines and were very tough.

Maybe that should read 'they had 2-stroke engines'?

Tough, perhaps. They finished the Ampol Trial in 1970.

Fast? Never! They were days late finishing that event...

Oh, yeah, we've had pics of it posted previously I'm quite sure.

#390 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,006 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:02

:lol: Posted Image

Later that year I bought this delightful pea green '76 240 DL with gravy brown interior for £50 and also paid £250 for a written off '81 240 GLE, swapped over all the running gear from the newer car to the old including bigger 2.3 motor and 4 speed plus overdrive gearbox and also fitted the beige interior from the write off. Sold the remaining bits for £200 most of which was for the alloys from the write off and had a car that could cruise all day long on the autobahns in Germany at just over 100 mph for £100 and drove it over 36,000 miles in 3 years :cool:

I had the virtually identical but station wagon version through the eighties-it served as my racing tow car and covered about 300,000 miles up and down the West Coast towing trailers and flat towing cars. The paint became so flat that I called it my "Stealth Wagon" which was funny until one day a guy drove into the front of it and said "I simply couldn't see you!".
I fitted a badge from a Turbo model that said "Intercooled" but it didn't make a blind bit of difference!

#391 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,918 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:10

Posted Image

This was clearly inspired by the 1951 Buick LeSabre show car. Much the way a saggy middle-aged barfly in a leopard-skin dress was inspired by a leopard.

#392 FredF1

FredF1

• 1,995 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:17

Ford had a particular shade of maroon they used on all their models throughout the 80s and 90s. You never see it now.

When I think of the Seventies, I think of it as being quite orange and brown generally, with some queasy green thrown in. People in the future will look back on pictures of now and wonder what our obsession with silver and gunmetal grey cars was.

Speaking of queasy green, we had a Fiat Mirafiori that was a bilious green as in the link but the four door model. God but I hated that car as it felt incredibly flimsy. We went on to have two more 'Supers' after that in dark red. I remember that they reeked of 'hot plastic' for ages after we first got them.

#393 Macca

Macca

• 3,348 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 16:39

Queasy green seems to be back in fashion - I've seen a lot of Fiestas in metallic lime green, also Citroens, Renaults and Toyotas. Just hope burnt orange and muddy brown don't make a comeback too...

Paul M

#394 kento11

kento11

• 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:14

US fans of a certain age, remember this?

Posted Image

#395 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,006 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 17:50

Cyclops!! :)

#396 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,259 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 20:48

Originally posted by David Birchall
Cyclops!

Yes, just as it was back on page 7...

#397 kento11

kento11

• 109 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 21:02

oops, sorry about that, just what happens to senile motor racing enthusiasts, I guess. Here's the WRC edition.

Posted Image

#398 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 22:46

Maybe that should read 'they had 2-stroke engines'?

Tough, perhaps. They finished the Ampol Trial in 1970.

Fast? Never! They were days late finishing that event...

Oh, yeah, we've had pics of it posted previously I'm quite sure.

The concrete mixers were 4 stroke, the cars were 2 strokes,,, but did have 4 reverse gears!

The link with the pic is forbidden on my server. Maybe it shows pics of naked Zetas!

#399 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,806 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 22:53

The link with the pic is forbidden on my server. Maybe it shows pics of naked Zetas!

Or Zeta-Jones? :cool:

Advertisement

#400 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 14:44

The concrete mixers were 4 stroke, the cars were 2 strokes,,, but did have 4 reverse gears!

Try googling Zeta you'll find some with the images tab :smoking: