Ugliest road car of all time?

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#401 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,762 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 22:56

Try googling Zeta you'll find some with the images tab :smoking:

I did that and got the lovely Katherine well before the car!
I know what they look like, a stupid impractical fibreglass 2 stroke car. That spare shells and moulds lay outside the factory for decades until it became housing,,, about 2 miles from here.
Though I hate to say this as ugly goes there is defenitly uglier, they have been on this thread. Though I still prefer the concrete mixer!! Far sleeker and more practical,, with a whole lot more sales and profits too.

Advertisement

#402 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:52

Originally posted by Lee Nicolle
The concrete mixers were 4 stroke, the cars were 2 strokes,,, but did have 4 reverse gears!

Well, no...

They have four forward gears, no reverse gears. The engine rotation can be reversed and those gears can be used to drive the car backwards.

#403 Dipster

Dipster

• 211 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:59

Well, no...

They have four forward gears, no reverse gears. The engine rotation can be reversed and those gears can be used to drive the car backwards.

Of course many, if not all, 2-stroke engines, including the fabulous TS3 2-stroke truck diesel you Australians seemed to like and hold in great respect, have this amazing ability (!) to run backwards.

#404 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 338 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 21:21

Of course many, if not all, 2-stroke engines, including the fabulous TS3 2-stroke truck diesel you Australians seemed to like and hold in great respect, have this amazing ability (!) to run backwards.

I'm not so sure about that. These two stroke diesels like the Detroit are scavenged with the aid of a blower .These are gear driven from the crank as I understand it. Therefore the blower will run in the reverse direction and will not scavenge as required.

#405 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,762 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:25

Well, no...

Yes, as I said they have 4 reverse gears. By way of the engine operation.

#406 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:50

The context, however, made it look like you were saying they had four actual reverse gears...

Lee, if you want to run something down, please be reasonable about it. In fact they don't have four reverse gears, they have four gears which operate whichever direction the engine is turning.

#407 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 629 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 00:07

I don't know about visual ugliness, but I really, really hate the noise that small two-stroke engines make. It offends me.

I think it's after trying to sleep in central Rome, with scooters going past at all times of the night.

For the record, I was in a pensione, not a Mazda Bongo Friendee, and there were no winter sports instructors present.

#408 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,201 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:01

Archaeological works?

#409 Dipster

Dipster

• 211 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:15

I'm not so sure about that. These two stroke diesels like the Detroit are scavenged with the aid of a blower .These are gear driven from the crank as I understand it. Therefore the blower will run in the reverse direction and will not scavenge as required.

Ihave never actually experienced a TS3 running backwards myself but know of others who did. Admittedly it did not run quite as intended but they did run. In my time in the East End we did not get near DDs so cannot comment on them.

Bit I confess that I really like the TS3. It is an amazing engine that was, in my opinion, killed off prematurely. It was compact and powerful for it's capacity. perfect? No. But with more development it might have been.

#410 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,081 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:34

The 1937 Detroit Electric - it looks like the front of one car has been grafted onto a totally different car!

Posted Image

Source: http://www.econogics...oit1/37detr.jpg

#411 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,760 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 20:27

Posted Image

:(

:rotfl:

#412 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 22:18

We've all had a good laugh at some of Herr Spohn's more outlandish creations, but he was always held in very high regard for his company's workmanship, and much of what he did was very far from weird. He was also responsible for some very good-looking cars, he did a lot of work for the pre-WW2 Maybach concern, one of which is pictured below.

Posted Image

This is a Maybach DS8 Zeppelin cabriolet, not many cars like this one were made and very few survive today, but by anyone's standards, a fine looking gentleman's conveyance I think. This car is currently in the Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart, it's powered by an 8 litre V-12.

Edited by kayemod, 15 April 2013 - 07:39.

#413 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 18:15

We've all had a good laugh at some of Herr Spohn's more outlandish creations, but he was always held in very high regard for his company's workmanship, and much of what he did was very far from weird. He was also responsible for some very good-looking cars, he did a lot of work for the pre-WW2 Maybach concern, one of which is pictured below.

Posted Image

This is a Maybach DS8 Zeppelin cabriolet, not many cars like this one were made and very few survive today, but by anyone's standards, a fine looking gentleman's conveyance I think. This car is currently in the Mercedes Benz museum in Stuttgart, it's powered by an 8litre V-12.

Come to think of it, I believe that in his formative years Picasso produced some excellent conventional paintings.

Edited by D-Type, 14 April 2013 - 23:41.

#414 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,762 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 23:13

:rotfl:

Come to think of it, I believe that in his formative yeas Picasso produced some excellent conventional paintings.

#415 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 55 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 18:43

Today I had a business relation visiting from Norway, and I was surprised to learn cars have been built in that country. The Troll - but not from Trollhattan :). The story can be found here:

http://www.thetrutha...roll-sportcupe/

and yes, the vehicle scores high on our list. The link refers to a Gutbrod engine with direct petrol injection - I'm wondering, is this correct, is there a connection with the '54 Merc F1 and Michael May?

Surely our experts can clarify that?

Jan

#416 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 19:02

Come to think of it, I believe that in his formative years Picasso produced some excellent conventional paintings.

Yes, the man really could paint well - such a pity that for most of his life he chose not to. :mad:

#417 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 22:36

Yes, the man really could paint well - such a pity that for most of his life he chose not to. :mad:

Oh I don't know, maybe he just knew a lot of really, really ugly women, and they were actually good likenesses.

#418 BRG

BRG

• 11,506 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:29

I was going to nominate the Lea Francis Lynx of 1960, but I have just come across the German coachbuilder Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn of Ravensburg - may I present to you a typical example (this wasn't the only one) of their contribution to 1950s motoring:

Posted Image

:(

I was watching the US series 'Chasing Classic Cars' last night where the featured dealer actually bought this car (or one exactly like it - is it a one off or did Spohn build more? :eek: ). He was enthusing over it so perhaps there is no accounting for taste. The front is the worse feature, seen from other angles it isn't so bad.......hmm, well, actually it is!

#419 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 292 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 14:47

No mention yet of the Reliant Scimitar SS1.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not I'll admit, quite the ugliest car ever produced, but was there ever one with bigger panel gaps and worse build quality. Apparently the factory had to produce three bonnets for every one to find one that "fitted". One of my mates from Uni went back to Manchester Business School in 1985 to do an MBA, and one of the external projects they were given was to market this car. In Germany. :D JohnP

Advertisement

#420 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 15:01

I think those two would have looked better if they'd swapped colours, the Aston would really have suited banana yellow.

I think they were both great anyway. Some strange opinions going on here....

#421 DouglasM

DouglasM

• 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 21:02

No surprise as it was a beautiful car!
My Scimi, I sold her about eight years ago when I went abroad to work. Still miss the old girl.

Posted Image

Edited by DouglasM, 26 April 2013 - 21:03.

#422 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:45

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the aluminium-bodied pommie beauty of the early fifties yet?

Behold, gentlemen...

Posted Image

Funny, I never knew before that they made a convertible version...

I wasn't aware of the convertible, but there was a utility - or perhaps that has been pointed out already.

#423 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,762 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 23:50

I wasn't aware of the convertible, but there was a utility - or perhaps that has been pointed out already.

Defenitly ugly but not a winner. Though not a terribly good car either. And I too have never heard of a convertible. I have seen a ute, probably the only one ever made in Oz!!

#424 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:01

No surprise as it was a beautiful car!
My Scimi, I sold her about eight years ago when I went abroad to work. Still miss the old girl.

Posted Image

Those lock-up garages are even uglier!

I guess many of us here have spent many happy (& cold) hours working in them for hours on end, just for our 15 minutes of glory at Lydden Hill...

Edited by DogEarred, 27 April 2013 - 06:01.

#425 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:29

Posted Image

Not I'll admit, quite the ugliest car ever produced, but was there ever one with bigger panel gaps and worse build quality. Apparently the factory had to produce three bonnets for every one to find one that "fitted".

I was puzzled by that comment, unless the bonnet fit problem was caused by distortion. The bonnet and the hole it fitted into both had moulded not trimmed edges, the same as we did on Elans and the like. So while the SS1 panel gaps were huge, at least they should have been consistent.

#426 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 438 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 15:22

As with some people, however much you spend on cosmetic surgery, it does not guarantee beauty. (Or class for that matter.)

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.us

#427 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 292 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:54

I was puzzled by that comment, unless the bonnet fit problem was caused by distortion. The bonnet and the hole it fitted into both had moulded not trimmed edges, the same as we did on Elans and the like. So while the SS1 panel gaps were huge, at least they should have been consistent.

Don't be that puzzled, it came from a source at the factory during said marketing exercise from MBS. The little darlings from the Business School eventually switched their attention to Shaw Carpets of Barnsley, a company that survives still, unlike Reliant. Of course, looks are subjective. My father, a carpet designer whose clientele included Aston Martin at one point, told me once that there is no such thing as bad taste, only taste. I believe the SS1 suffered greatly in comparison to the glorious looking GTE. , Beautiful ? Hell, there are members of this forum that think Bristol produced good-looking cars ! :cool: JohnP

#428 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,762 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 00:16

I have always found that fibreglass is never entirely repeatable. Though I am talking proffesionally made hand laid panels.I don't know how major manufacturers go, they must be better. eg Lotus, Corvettes etc as the panels usually fit ok on them. Lotus ok, Corvette very well.

#429 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:17

Beautiful ? Hell, there are members of this forum that think Bristol produced good-looking cars ! :cool: JohnP

Posted Image

Proof positive :wave: :up: :smoking:

#430 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:45

There are some of those things around where I live. Took me quiet some time to figure out what they are. I'll take any Bristol over one of those two. :up:
Posted Image
The second generation Toyota Corolla Verso vs the third model of the Nissan Quest.
Posted Image
Toyota and Nissan had always some odd looking models in their range but for the last 10 years it got pretty bad with the looks.
Most cars of them these days seem to be designed by people that were trippin' on acid.

#431 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 292 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:24

Posted Image

Proof positive :wave: :up: :smoking:

Yes exactly. It's amazing what you can come up with with a biscuit tin lid and a 2H pencil. Have you noticed how many publicity shots of the Bristol Fighter are rear three-quarter views? The only angle it looked any good from perhaps? For this sort of highly expensive, miniscule sales operation I think the Germans (Bitter) and the Swiss (Monteverdi) did it better. JohnP :cool:

Edited by Slurp1955, 03 May 2013 - 17:57.

#432 AAGR

AAGR

• 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 19:17

Defenitly ugly but not a winner. Though not a terribly good car either. And I too have never heard of a convertible. I have seen a ute, probably the only one ever made in Oz!!

Anorak alert - there was a (very) short-lived attempt at making a Mayflower Convertible. Just ten such cars were produced, all of them 'knife-and-forked' from a two-door saloon shell, before a company accountant worked how much the economic selling price would have to be. End of project, immediately ....

AAGR

#433 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 21:01

Yes exactly. It's amazing what you can come up with with a biscuit tin lid and a 2H pencil. Have you noticed how many publicity shots of the Bristol Fighter are rear three-quarter views? The only angle it looked any good from perhaps? For this sort of highly expensive, miniscule sales operation I think the Germans (Bitter) and the Swiss (Monteverdi) did it better. JohnP :cool:

I'll grant you Monteverdi had good taste when it came to power plant  ;)

Edited by arttidesco, 03 May 2013 - 21:01.

#434 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 292 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:46

I'll grant you Monteverdi had good taste when it came to power plant ;)

Peter Monteverdi also had good taste when it came to designers, engaging Pietro Frua. Frua also designed the AC 428, a candidate for the best-looking British GT ever. :cool: JohnP

#435 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 13:39

...the AC 428, a candidate for the best-looking British GT ever. :cool: JohnP

Sorry, I'd take the Bristol from above over an AC 428.

#436 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 17:40

Both been mentioned here before. I've just seen a Ssangjong Rodius and a Nissan Juke NISMO. :eek:
I wonder who's been tripin' on LSD or mushrooms here, the designers or the people who buy those things?
BTW: the NISMO package doesn't improof the looks of the Juke...

#437 BRG

BRG

• 11,506 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 17:52

BTW: the NISMO package doesn't improof the looks of the Juke...

Yes but it is much faster so you don't have to look at it for so long.

#438 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,068 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 18:00

Yes but it is much faster so you don't have to look at it for so long.

:up:

#439 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,081 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:23

Posted Image

A "special" built by the Anheuser Brewing Company.

Source: http://1.bp.blogspot..._oldfoto_GR.jpg

Advertisement

#440 BRG

BRG

• 11,506 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 16:28

Posted Image

A "special" built by the Anheuser Brewing Company.

Is it a plane? Is it a boat? No. it's.....???

I suspect they know as much about cars as about beer....

#441 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,081 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 23:26

Panhard Dynavia:

Posted Image

Source: http://www.diseno-ar...rd_dynavia.html

#442 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:13

Panhard Dynavia:

Posted Image

Source: http://www.diseno-ar...rd_dynavia.html

Herrumph. For 1948, I'd say pretty damn fine - and 7 years ahead of the DS.

#443 Macca

Macca

• 3,326 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:31

Most of the currently ugliest cars have one thing in common.......Juke, IQ, Cube, Qashqai, Navarra, etc..........

but now there's a contender that has similar optical awfulness - the Volvo XC60. It's got a nose down/tail-up look, pointless styling squiggles everywhere, and horrendous L-shaped rear lights...........I screw-up my face whenever one gets in my eyeline.

Paul M

#444 ggnagy

ggnagy

• 261 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:57

Posted Image

The Consulier GTP. Even the builders admitted it was ugly

#445 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 250 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:28

How about the 1960 Lea Francis Lynx ?

#446 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:31

How about the 1960 Lea Francis Lynx ?

Didn't someone mention that one earlier?

#447 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,001 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 18:39

Perhaps not the ugliest road car of all time the Chevrolet Vega was certainly one of the least respected. I was just sent these extraordinary photos of them being loaded for rail shipment-presumably to California:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#448 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,875 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 22:24

The wonderful efficiency of American industry...

Then there's the story of Chrysler, when Lee Iacocca went there he learned they could only fit two full size cars on a flatcar, if the cars had been an inch shorter it would have been three.

The styling department were duly advised...

#449 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 22:31

Perhaps not the ugliest road car of all time the Chevrolet Vega was certainly one of the least respected. I was just sent these extraordinary photos of them being loaded for rail shipment-presumably to California:

Posted Image

If I tip up my lawn mower like that oil and fuel spill out all over the place :eek:

#450 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:46

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet, ugly to many, but I think it's rather cute, though not sure I'd want to be seen behind the wheel.

Posted Image

It's a Wimille coupé, brainchild of Jean-Pierre, one of the greatest ever racing drivers, and possibly one of the least remembered today, largely due to the activities of that nasty Mr Hitler. This pic shows the second prototype, the first was even stranger. It appeared at the Paris Salon in 1946, featuring a single central headlight, and was powered by a rear-mounted 54hp Citroën engine driving through a Cotal electro-magnetic gearbox. The car clearly provided inspiration for Gordon Murray though, as like his McLaren F1, it featured a central driving position with a passenger on either side. The car wasn't a commercial success, even though Wimille had managed to interest Ford France in the project, and it all ended with Jean-Pierre's untimely death in 1949.