Photo

Reopen Lakeside - Meeting on Feb 22

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 12:59

Hello all, there will be a meeting this saturday morning to show support for the re-opening of Lakeside, host circuit to the 1966 and 1969 Australian Grand Prix.

Ian Milton (Motorcyles Sportsman) wants to hold a public meeting on 22 Feb at 10am at "Red Dog Petroleum" at the intersection of Dohles Rocks Road, narangba Road and Anzac Avenue Kallangur (opposite the water tower).

The purpose of this meeting is to encourage interested parties to form a lobby group with a view to persuading the Pine Rivers Shire Council to reverse its decision regarding the closure of Lakeside.

Please inform as many car & bike competitors and enthusiates to encourage them to attend. The greater the number the more pressure we can apply - Ian Milton

I encourage as many people to turn up, as its a great track - let's not let it waste away.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 13:12

Indeed I will be there...

It's now almost a year since the Council were to announce what they were going to do with the property... I think they're playing a game where they expect us to forget it ever happened.

Let's show them!

#3 Mark Beckman

Mark Beckman

• 782 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 07:04

Saturday morning at 10 am ??

Just brilliant, like no one works, no one takes kids to sports or does there weekly shopping then do they.

Just brilliant. :rolleyes: :down:

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 09:16

Could anyone put this message on ten-tenths... assuming it's not there already?

There are several posting there who might be able to make it...

Anyone who needs to have a proxy taken can just let me know. You want me to say anything for you, Mark?

#5 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 14:22

I have posted this at ten-tenths.
Sat 10am isn't the best time, and the weather's not looking too good, but I'll be there.

#6 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:12

Just got back, there was a good 200 people there, perhaps more, despite drizzling rain for the duration. Definantly a step in the right direction, hope we get racing back at this great track. it's time the council stops mucking around...

#7 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:52

I probably could have made it if I had have been told a bit sooner :

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:18

I think there is a definite division among the people who have been at the pointy end of the 'Friends of Lakeside' movement.

Some think the Council want it to happen or can be swayed... others know better than that.

Anyway, a steering committee was formed and will meet (under cover) at 7:00pm next Thursday night at 319 South Pine Rd Brendale. I guess others are welcome to come along...

There was definitely a groundwell of opinion that the circuit is dearly missed. Anyone who's been to Willowbank will understand why.

Best news is the Heritage listing, which prevents virtually anything else being done with the land. It must retain its motor racing heritage because of this listing, and this doesn't preclude improving it for more modern racing.

#9 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:29

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I think there is a definite division among the people who have been at the pointy end of the 'Friends of Lakeside' movement.

Some think the Council want it to happen or can be swayed... others know better than that.

Anyway, a steering committee was formed and will meet (under cover) at 7:00pm next Thursday night at 319 South Pine Rd Brendale. I guess others are welcome to come along...

There was definitely a groundwell of opinion that the circuit is dearly missed. Anyone who's been to Willowbank will understand why.

Best news is the Heritage listing, which prevents virtually anything else being done with the land. It must retain its motor racing heritage because of this listing, and this doesn't preclude improving it for more modern racing.

Ray, do you know if anyone has organised a website representing this cause? If not, that is something that should be looked at. I'd be happy to put up a small page so long as it doesnt take up too much time.

It is a shame the council is so anti-motor racing - The PRSC said today (or so C9 news says) that there will be no racing as the track will cost taxpayers too much to open...this is coming from a council that has spent about a million dollars on something sitting idle. The fact the council doesn't care was shown today - despite invitations, was there anyone from PRSC there today? NO.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:22

Apparently two people have volunteered to help build the site, but not done much yet...

Somebody else volunteered to do it today... but so far it's a bare 'under construction' note at www.savelakeside.org ...

#11 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:38

http://www.prsc.qld....ideManagers.htm
http://www.prsc.qld....ideheritage.htm

Further proof that the PRSC is quite simply against motor racing...

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:09

Unusual for them to be so open...

Mostly they say what they know you want to hear from them and stab you in the back.

But note that the mayor lied on both issues.

1. A heritage listing does not in any way preclude improvement, maintenance or restoration or any form of upgrading. As long as the site retains a motor racing flavour and the circuit is still there, the heritage listing will be satisfied. It is more fully satisfied, of course, if racing is allowed to return.

2. While laying claims about pollutants entering the lake (which is for drinking water, by the way) she makes no mention of the huge quantities of runoff from the adjoining golf course, where many forms of nutrients are used to promote growth of grasses.

3. She further deceives by suggesting that it would be the council's responsibility to bear the insurance costs and to pay for upgrading of the circuit.

4. I gather that a lot of the $84,000 was spent acquiring materials that can only be properly utilised by an operator running racing on the circuit.

Oh, there is so much more could be said of this lady... err, woman... and her ways, but I'll refrain.

#13 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:34

1. A heritage listing does not in any way preclude improvement, maintenance or restoration or any form of upgrading. As long as the site retains a motor racing flavour and the circuit is still there, the heritage listing will be satisfied. It is more fully satisfied, of course, if racing is allowed to return.

2. While laying claims about pollutants entering the lake (which is for drinking water, by the way) she makes no mention of the huge quantities of runoff from the adjoining golf course, where many forms of nutrients are used to promote growth of grasses.

3. She further deceives by suggesting that it would be the council's responsibility to bear the insurance costs and to pay for upgrading of the circuit.

4. I gather that a lot of the $84,000 was spent acquiring materials that can only be properly utilised by an operator running racing on the circuit.

Exactly. Sad thing is most people will believe it all.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:53

It's utterly unbelievable that she can claim anything about pollution when - in good seasons - waterskiing takes place on the lake!

Just imagine what real spillage takes place, and what could happen if boats collide. At least on land, most of it can be prevented from reaching the water.

#15 DNQ

DNQ

• 157 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 11:05

Yes exactly, and as was pointed out at the meeting - what happens if a racing car leaks oil...do they just keep racing and let it drip down into the lake...no, out comes a black flag and the car comes into the pits to be fixed up. And of course any oil on the track is mopped up. A ridiculous argument, nearly as absurd as the 'noise complaints.'

I ask this - what do people expect when they move next to a motor racing circuit?

#16 Cal

Cal

• 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 00:50

Apparently two people have volunteered to help build the site, but not done much yet...

Somebody else volunteered to do it today... but so far it's a bare 'under construction' note at www.savelakeside.org ...

When speaking to Trevor the other day, it seems they still need additional help with the website. Anyone?

Cal.

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 00:53

I'm glad you posted this, Cal...

I wouldn't have realised that there's been a change of venue for tonight's meeting otherwise.

#18 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:04

Love to be able to help Cal but I haven't even got enough time to do my own website let alone take on another one.

Speaking of Lakeside hows it going Ray? Did you find the old Programmes?

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:16

Better than that!

One of the guys at the meeting tonight bought all... repeat, all!... the maps from the auction. He has large scale topo maps, plans of alterations, projected extensions, changes when the lake level was raised, all manner of stuff.

Oh, yeah, you wanted a map from a programme... I don't have one on my hard drive, the scans must be on a zip disc back at Harden. But I can scan a programme later today and send it to you...

Advertisement

#20 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:20

Christ if you could somehow get a scan of those maps, there'd be some happy people.

Does anyone have the programmes from the Tasman period? I've got none of them...

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:28

I'll ask tonight... I used to have the 64, 65, 66, 67 & 69 ones, but the termites got to them when I moved to Silverdale in 1976.

Yeah, GPL fans would love to see this topo map... but he's not letting them out of his sight. I'm hoping to do a partial tracing tonight.

#22 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:36

Now that is tragic, I would have given you fat $$$ for those.

Anyway so have you put your writing cap on yet?

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 01:44

Ah... no, not yet... but I'll get there.

Trying to scan that programme page now, but the map looks wrong to me.