Photo

Shannons Phillip Island Classics

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 14:46

Just wondering if somebody from this forum is going to this event....
will be my first time on Phillip Island and after 3 month of working nearly every day of the week i am really hanging out to go there....
I don't have a car so i'll have to go by train and bus with a tent, sleepingback, video cam and a couple of smokes (from Geelong : )....Could somebody possilbly give me a lift... :rolleyes:
cheers marty

Advertisement

#2 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 22:15

We're rolling down the road leaving Thursday from near Newcastle to Australia's best circuit ( and Australia's best overseas circuit), the Alvis Ford V8 Special in tow. The car hasnt been there before and that will be quite a challenge I suspect, particularly for its quarter elliptic- hung front end that gets the Frazer Nash disease from time to time at lesser circuits( so what will it do at the Island??)
The latest count I heard re entries was 430 +, so it should be quite a meeting. And if you havent been there before, you will find it a dazzling place. All the things that Ray Bell ( and others) have written on TNF about Phillip Island are true : it is a brilliant circuit in a brilliant setting in a historic motor racing location. I dont know how you're going to do it, but you should make sure while you're there that you see the old circuits too, both well sign posted

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 23:05

Try not to kill yourself, John...

Sounds like it will be fun over Lukey Heights and around the Southern Loop...

Great spots, both of them. Wish I could be there...

#4 Phillip

Phillip

• 81 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:45

If you are in the CBD in melbourne on Sunday whats the easiest way for a tourist to get to Phillip Island and not miss too much of the action. Is there maybe a bus that goes there?

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 05:11

I don't know if there is, but maybe it's worth asking tourist agencies.

Better still, call Ian Tate at Tate Automotive in Nunawading and see if he can advise. I think, without getting a lift or hitch hiking, it's most likely that you'll have to drive. It's about 120km each way, from memory... hire a car?

#6 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 11:46

I'll be there competing in Group S in my Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT.

In what has become a logitical nightmare, I will be flying down from Canberra (where I am on a 4 week course) and getting picked up by one of our entourage (who has promised to tell me what PI was like when he raced in the first Armstrong 500.) My car is coming from Sydney on a transporter with 3 others. In total there are 9 Alfas from NSW and ACT going down, plus the receently restored ex-Gulson GTA which I have yet to see, bur believe is sensational. This will be my first time there!

Of course Alfa Romeo is the featured marque at Phillip Island. :)

#7 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:02

If you are in the CBD in melbourne on Sunday whats the easiest way for a tourist to get to Phillip Island and not miss too much of the action. Is there maybe a bus that goes there?

Thought about getting there early on friday...would love to see a bit of the island as well.
I will meet a german guy from the nurburgring forum who is living in australia.I can get in on saturday and sunday with his guest tickets :p
....i run a bit out of money at the moment but i really don t want to miss it since it's alraedy been 3 month ago that i've been on my last race at Sandown.
I ll probably be camping there to keep the costs as low as possible even if it rains young dogs (german saying)
...just thought somebody might be living in Geelong as well...would be a lucky coincidence but well ...guess i have to take a train to Melbourne and catch a bus to the Island....doesn't really matter as long as i get there and be able to take a couple of deep breaths of burned rubber and oil...cos i am a racing junkie ;)

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:29

Roy Williams is in Geelong... he'll be going for sure.

#9 Mark Beckman

Mark Beckman

• 782 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 23:51

Originally posted by Phillip

Train to Frankston, Train to Stony Point, Ferry to Phillip Island.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:58

And then there's only a five mile walk?

Hitch hike... it's the best way if you don't have a car.

#11 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:31

Guess i will hitch hike... :up:
although everybody keeps telling me about that backpacker killer a couple of years ago (is he still out there??? :eek: )
I ll take the first ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento on friday morning (7 o'clock :wave:

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:10

Hitch hike all the way...

The murderers are all locked up... I think.

#13 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 00:22

WOW!!!
What a great event....was very pleased to meet you John and Paul (thanks again for the book John...have to buy it !!!!!) I have both of you on video (not very long) if you are interested i can send you a copy on cd.
Not only that i have seen Sir Jack Brabham i also did my first job as a pit marshal on sunday (had to whistle when somebody enrered the pit lane :lol: ) and have an offer to do the same job at the 24 h race at Bathurst this year :clap:
I could also do 2 laps on the track (filmed that as well) which was very exciting......
will definately be there again next year!!!!!

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 07:30

Don't keep us in suspense...

How did you get there?

And did you get a lift home with Roy Williams... all the way to Geelong?

#15 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 08:36

All right Ray,
you asked for it and now you have to listen to the whole story :rotfl:
I spent the night at Queenscliff and took the first ferry (7 am) to Sorrento and as soon as i set my first foot on the ferry it started to rain...and didn't stop till i got my first lift about 2 hours later but well...i said i didn't care.The guy didn't go very far and after he let me out at Rye i took a bus to Rosebud...started walking again for about an hour and was picked up by a very charming and friendly (good looking :blush: ) woman who drove me straight to Stoney Point after i met her mother and her son and a lot of talking.By then it was about 11.30...i did not expect to be there so early so i had a coffee and relaxed a bit till that woman from the kiosk told me the next ferry would leave at 5 pm :eek: I hung around for an hour (chatting with two stoned and boozed bearded bikie's :rolleyes: ) who could at least organize me a lift with their friends privat little boat (for 30 f****** $ :mad: ) but better than waiting 4 more hours. Was actually pretty cool with that boat....very rough and pretty quick. So i finally arrived at Phillip Island.....walked to the boomerang caravan park,built up my tent and went straight to the track cos i could hear the cars practising.
Got another lift to the track and wow...there was the track :clap: went into the pits and spent another hour watching he 2 D-Types chasing each other till it started raining again...my sign to get back to my tent.A mercedes service car took me back there...well then i met Christian the next day,a pit marshall who could find some work for me in the pits on sunday and went back to
Melbourne with him.Spent a night at a friends house and arrived happily exhausted on monday 1.30 pm at home...hmm...should i mention that i left the train 1 station too early ? :blush:
Was a really nice trip...i like being on the road. Unfortunately i did not meet Roy Williams but on my way back to Melbourne i have seen a competitors car on a trailer(a blue xy or xw Falcon) obviously from Geelong....
If you need more details Ray...feel free to ask ;)

#16 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 11:41

Hi Martin

Haven't been on email much this week, so just read your email. You certainly had an interesting trip to Phillip Island and I dare say it was a cheaper weekend than mine. :)

Of course, I recounted my car problems on the Saturday when I spoke to you. I did see you on the dummy grid before our first race (the handicap) on Sunday. It was raining pretty hard at the time and I was pretty relieved to finish the race in one piece - I started third and finished third. The Alfetta GT handles well in the wet, but I was still learning the track and trying to see through the spray down the front straight was difficult. For the final race I started 41st and finished 24th, knocking 7 seconds off my fastest lap (2:05) in the process - by following some quick cars in front I started to learn (but not yet master) the lines. There's another couple of seconds there - maybe next year. :lol:

Finally, I heard (incorrectly as it turned out) that you could take the left hander "Lukey Heights" flat in fourth gear. I had always been backing off or braking but one lap I didn't lift and by the time I reached the apex I was sideways and heading towards one big accident. I'm not sure how I saved it and made it around MG without going off the track, but I always lifted after that! :p