Photo

Rain tires

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 16:06

For the Nassau Speed Weeks in 1962, a Road & Track race report states the following: "Shortly, the 'pray for rain' boys came into their own as a good hard rain started coming down on lap 31. Those who hadn't rain tires were very spectacular. Especially troubled were Masten Gregory and Lorenzo Bandini."

Did they actually have rain tires (or rain tyres for those outside the U.S.) back then? Or was this a reference to having new tires with ample tread?

Advertisement

#2 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 17:59

Joe Fan, in '61 rain tyres (I think Dunlop started using such things that year) helped Moss to his Nürburgring victory. He drove them on drying track (despite Dunlop people suggesting to use normal tyres), and still managed to lead, when skies opened lap and a half (IIRC) from the race finish.

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,841 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 21:27

The 'High Hysterisis' tyres that emerged in 1961 were, by 1962, being used in the dry as well.

They had the same tread pattern, and though they had been intended as rain tyres, they rapidly fell into dry weather use for shorter races. Like GPs.

#4 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 21:32

Surely, Ray they must have made them a bit 'harder' by then- IIRC, Moss' tyres were said to have started showing canvas before the rain started... I think he would not have liked it if it didn't start raining; Ye Ole 'Ring seems a bit wrong place to go on grass verges and looking for oil patches (as he did in Argentinean GP few years earlier).

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,841 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 21:55

I suspect, Wolfie, that they were no different in 1961 to what they were in 1962...

And I also suspect that Mossy didn't have any canvas showing as he entered the showery part of the race.

#6 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 22:18

Must've gotten it wrong myself then, Ray... :blush: But Don writes he was "nursing his badly worn D12 rain tyres" in his RVM.

#7 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:25

Originally posted by Wolf
Must've gotten it wrong myself then, Ray... :blush: But Don writes he was "nursing his badly worn D12 rain tyres" in his RVM.

"Badly worn" as far as effectiveness due to heat buildup, but not shredding threads or showing any canvas to my knowledge. The shower allowed the Dunlops to fall back down into their best operating range. It didn't hurt that von Trips and Hill were dicing among themselves versus running Moss down in a coordinated attack. Moss was "lucky," but he certainly made much of his "luck" by keeping the tires right at the point where they worked but didn't fail. Had Moss not had the prang at Goodwood, I feel he would have easily adapted to and mastered the increasingly "black art" of tire compounds which hit GP racing in the late 60's.

#8 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:32

You know what's the worrying part, Don? Most people tend to exageerate their achievemts with old age; being as fallible as next bloke, I could settle with that, but now I have started exaggerating other people's achievements too... :eek: :lol:

#9 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,218 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:31

:clap:

Quote Wolf
; being as fallible as next bloke, I could settle with that, but now I have started exaggerating
other people's achievements too...

That a great line Wolf i like it. :up: