Photo

The E.R.A. thread

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#251 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 234 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 18:33

I first saw the slipcased 'The history of English Racing Automobiles Limited' at McGills in Elizabeth St, Melbourne - not long after it was published. It was a stunning production with gorgeous enamel ERA replica grille badge adorning it and an equally stunning price. It was going to take a lot of weeks saving my $7 a week paper round pittance. As you can imagine it didn't happen.

I was a bingo caller (holiday times) in Blackpool at the time, but my weekly money would have been bigger than yours. Like you, I regret not buying the Weguelin book when it was published. I was tempted by a copy in a local shop -- surely you remember generalist bookshops?

Today, I'd buy an "update" of the original. Owing to passage of time, it would be a different book. 

Advertisement

#252 cooper997

cooper997

• 795 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 22:59

Charlieman, Best I don't take this thread off topic too far. But I was still at school in 1981, hence the weekly pittance. The options in Melbourne to find the ERA book, or for that matter most motoring titles was pretty limited. A trip into Melbourne CBD for me meant McGills in Elizabeth St and Technical Book & Magazine Co in Swanston St. Both long standing in their trade, but no longer exist.

I still remember it was upstairs at McGills where I first saw the ERA book. Even though Tech Book usually had a better range in their car section on the upper landing at the rear of the store. Heaven forbid if you turned up there during a lunch or busy period. Often shoulder to shoulder, chaps standing checking out the latest car magazines and books. Owner, Paul Radford (one time Ferrari 275GTB owner, if memory serves correct) would often be there to take your money if you could get to what you wanted.

Stephen