Photo

'Historic Demonstration' at the AGP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:27

Just looking throught the program for the Australian Grand Prix in a weeks time, and the following are an interesting selection of entries for the Historic Demonstration:

Sir Jack Brabham in his BT19 from 1966.

Spencer Martin in a BT11A, red with 2700cc, possibly his dual Gold Star winning Climax FPF engined car.

Sir Stirling Moss in a Cooper Climax Type 45.

1962 Repco Brabham BT2 1100cc Turquoise. Possibly the car driven by Phil West?

1967 Repco Brabham BT23A 2500cc Green. The racing prototype for the BT24, driven by Jack Brabham in the 1967 Tasman Series, before being sold to David McKay and driven by Greg Cusack and Phil West.

1961 MRD FJ - MRD being Motor Racing Developments, Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac together, who were soon to become Brabham. This was a Formula Junior, apparently their first effort.

John Harvey in a BT14, 1500cc and Black/Red/Yellow, presumably the car in its original configuration that he drove for R C Phillips.

I am now hoping that the television dedicates some of its time to covering them.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:49

Originally posted by David Shaw
Just looking throught the program for the Australian Grand Prix in a weeks time, and the following are an interesting selection of entries for the Historic Demonstration:

Sir Jack Brabham in his BT19 from 1966.

Spencer Martin in a BT11A, red with 2700cc, possibly his dual Gold Star winning Climax FPF engined car.

Sir Stirling Moss in a Cooper Climax Type 45.

1962 Repco Brabham BT2 1100cc Turquoise. Possibly the car driven by Phil West?

1967 Repco Brabham BT23A 2500cc Green. The racing prototype for the BT24, driven by Jack Brabham in the 1967 Tasman Series, before being sold to David McKay and driven by Greg Cusack and Phil West.

1961 MRD FJ - MRD being Motor Racing Developments, Jack Brabham and Ron Tauranac together, who were soon to become Brabham. This was a Formula Junior, apparently their first effort.

John Harvey in a BT14, 1500cc and Black/Red/Yellow, presumably the car in its original configuration that he drove for R C Phillips.

I am now hoping that the television dedicates some of its time to covering them.

Optimism reigns supreme!

Why would they show this when they could be interviewing TEN personalities before they go out to do battle in the Celebrity race? Or showing how they were taught how to drive by Jim Murcott or someone... sorry, would it not be Jim any more?

MRD was the first Brabham, really. BT1, I think (stress I think)... built before they realised what MRD might sound like in France. It was raced by Gavin Youl.

Why has Spencer got 2700cc? Well, it would probably be 2752cc...

I have a pic of Harvey in that Phillips car, but I can't access either of my web storage spaces to check where it is... post it another time if I can.

#3 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 10:57

It is very interesting (to me at least :) ) to see the BT23A still running around, as I was wondering what happened to it after its time at Scuderia Veloce, as David McKay doesn't mention where it went after it left his hands.
A few others that someone (Ray being the first that springs to mind) may know the subsequentre recent history of:

The Brabham BT23E that Brabham drove in Ampol colours during the 1968 Tasman Series, then on-sold to Bob Jane's team.

The Lotus 39, brought to the Antipodes by Jim Clark, then sold to Leo Geoghegan, where it subsequently had the Climax replaced by a Repco 740 Series engine.

The Alfa powered Brabham BT23D of Alec Mildren's team, driven by Frank Gardner and Kevin Bartlett.

#4 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 11:02

will anyone be able to post images on the bb?

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 11:13

I'm sure they will...

I just have either a huge coincidence going or a glitch in this net connection.

The BT23 that Cusack bundled up at Longford went on, as mentioned, to Phil West... then? Brian Page's name springs to mind... but I feel sure that the engine went elsewhere, to an Elfin 360 or something. Just as Geoghegan's engine went into the Macarthur Rennmax.

The Gardner/Bartlett BT23 Alfa had an Olds put in it by Jim Abbott for hillclimbing, later crashing and killing young touring car convert Chris Murphy. It might have been a long time in the rebuilding.

The 39 has had an interesting life... first with plans for a flat 16, then an FPF, then the Repco, back to a Ford twin cam (Bob Johns et al).

#6 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:11

Originally posted by philhitchings
will anyone be able to post images on the bb?

I'll try, I'll try ... will just be there for the Sunday only, and that partly work ... :)

#7 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 14:15

anticipation is half the fun :)

#8 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 13:00

A solitary photo of the action from the AGP official website

Posted Image

#9 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 13:24

Faantastic thank you David :love:

#10 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:40

Hi David...
just came back from the 4 day trip to the gp...WOW!!!
I have some of the cars on video.....some were at the Shannons Phillip Island Classic as well...got footage of that too....just have to transfer it on cd.
If you want i will send you a copy of it....the footage is not too long but i got Jack Brabham in his car and Stirling Moss as well....and some close shots of the cars....
cheers Marty

#11 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 12:44

A few more photos have been posted. By the way, the earlier photo was of the BT23A. Here we have the BT19
Posted Image

#12 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 12:46

In its more naked state
Posted Image

#13 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 12:48

And finally what I am hoping is a 250F
Posted Image

#14 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 13:13

More of the 250F on Sunday inside the Tatts garage.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Formula1_Fan

Formula1_Fan

• 136 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 14:05

I want sounds....pleaseeee....!!!!

#16 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 14:56

If you would like to see more of these cars at Grands Prix, you should
send a note to Bernie at his new website or the promoters in your host
country. I believe both the TGP and HGP groups had approached the Australian GP folks about doing a support race. Unfortunately, a sponsor
could not be found to cover the shipping expenses to get the cars there.

The HGP F1 cars will be at the LBGP CART/Champ Car race in April and the Mexico GP race at the end of the season in October.