Photo

Ferrari steering wheels through the years

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 20:21

Have a look at this fascinating pic of Ferrari steering wheels thru the years. :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 04 March 2003 - 21:09

fascinating :clap:

#3 Simpson RX1

Simpson RX1

• 300 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 00:15

Ah, a saddo after my own heart!

I'll go for anything with no knobs, buttons and read-outs on it.

To me, it just goes to show how much today's cars can drive themselves - if you've got the time to figure out all the information given by the last few pictures, you must have too much time on your hands!

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 13:13

Third from the left must be Mike Hawthorn. 4 spokes plus aero screen. The question is what year? I'll guess at 1957

#5 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 14:39

D-Type this pic* is from Champion Year and it shows Mike's car at Silverstone in 1958.
Posted Image
*Apart from that, it demonstrates to me that my nice ISP has bleedin' well got the umpteen month old problem with my personal web space fixed at last. My scanner thought I'd stopped loving it.:)

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 22:27

Bottom row of steering wheels ------ ugh! ): :evil: :mad: :( :cry:

#7 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 05 March 2003 - 22:47

Weren't the earliest of Ferrari wheels cork rimmed Nardis, and not wood rimmed?

#8 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 04:44

It happened that when I first looked at this thread, open on my lap was the new-to-me book Fifites Motor Racing - The GP Scene - Through the lens of Alan R. Smith. And it was open to page 116: "XII Aintree Grand National . . ."
Caption: "View across the Aintree starting grid for the 1957 Grand Prix of Europe, with the 'hallowed' turf in the immediate background. No. 16 is Trintignant's Ferrari: the driver has just wandered over towards Harry Schell's Maserati, No. 6. Schell stands three- quarter back to the camera. To the right of the picture is Ferrari driver Musso."

Posted Image

On page 35, a comparison of 1951 Ferrari and Alfa cockpits: "4½- litre Ferrari: Large rev counter on right of dashboard, other instruments grouped two and two. Bulky prop shaftcasing. Mirrors external to cocpit. Horse insignia on central wheel boss."
"158 Alfa. Rev counter on left of dashboard, other instruments grouped three and one. Slim prop shaft casing. Mirrors internal to reduce wind resistance. Alfa cloverleaf insignia on scuttle, and St. Christopher emblem central on dashboard with all Alfas."

Posted Image

On page 135, Peter Collins at the 1958 British Grand Prix (notice the dual windscreen, aero and faired) :

Posted Image

The full-size and detailed photos can be seen at:
Fifties Motor Racing album
Along with other images from the same book, including steering wheels from other cars of the era:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Frank S

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 23:16

Many thanks Frank.

I've just taken a second look at the original photo. It shows a dual windscreen.

So, I was wrong on all counts :o Peter Collins and 1958 looks more likely.

Now you know why I chose my signature