Photo

History of Lotus 59/69 F2 X B41

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Barry Smith

Barry Smith

• 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2003 - 17:07

I own a Lotus 59/69 (chassis number F2 X B41) and would like to establish its ownership and competition history so that I can obtain FIA papers for it.

The chassis is a Lotus 59 F2 spaceframe with Lotus 69 bodywork, wings, corners and running gear.

I understand, from the previous owner Peter Aylett, that the chassis was built in 1969 and Lotus Racing built the car for the 1970 season. The car was sold by Lotus in Formula Atlantic specification to a customer in Canada for racing in the North American Formula Atlantic series.

Apparently the car was used very little, kept very original and stored until 1987/8 when Bob Hawkings of AMCO racing bought it and imported it back into the UK. Bob Hawkings sold the car to Peter Aylett, I believe, in 1988/9.

Subsequently Racing Fabrications have rebuilt the chassis and engine and both Peter Aylett and I have raced the car. I bought it from Peter Aylett in 1994.

If any readers have any information on this car, or leads I could follow, I would be very pleased to hear from them.

Barry Smith