Photo

1968 Porsche 907 - dayglo nose panels?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BRG

BRG

• 25,902 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 17:56

Reading the thread on "Actual BRM colours" and the discussion about the dayglo orange nose flash reminded me of Porsche's colour schemes. One the earlier races that I attended was the BOAC 6 Hours at Brands Hatch in 1968 where the factory Porsche team turned up with three 907s.

Gerhard Mitter / Ludovico Scarfiotti took 2nd (behind Ickx and Redman’s JWA GT40) and Vic Elford / Jochen Neerspasch took 3rd. The thrid car, driven by Jo Siffert / Hans Herrmann, failed to finish. It was this race that ignited my quiet enthusiasm for Porsche – I have always loved an underdog, and seeing the little 2.2 litres cars take the battle to the heavy metal of Ford etc and only losing out by 22 secs after 6 hours of racing put me firmly in the Porsche corner ever after!

The factory 907s were in a basically white livery but each one had a different coloured panel on the nose, presumably to differentiate the cars. As I remember, these panels were dayglo shades of orange or yellow, green and (I think) brown. Can anyone confirm this? My mind is probably playing tricks because it was the only time I ever saw dayglo brown...

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 18:15

Your mind is behaving perfectly reasonably - Porsche ran a formidable works team in which performance was everything, finish was irrelevant. Their team 907s, 910s and 908s were commonly semi-matte, or most charitably 'low-gloss', white and they did indeed use fluorescent colours for identification purposes, on nose hatches and as nose bands, and sometimes on the tail transom too, I seem to recall. Colours commonly used were a violent green and vivid pink. I must admit, though, I don't recall a dayglo brown... Perhaps it was the sunglasses? :cool:

DCN

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 19:31

In his report of the race in Motor Sport DSJ notes that the Siffert/Herrmann 907 had green markings, the Elford/Neerpasch car yellow and the Mitter/Scarfiotti car orange. Could it be that the orange one might have looked a bit like brown?

#4 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 18:50

I remember green, orange, red, pink, yellow and blue bands on the noses of Porsches at various times, but never brown.

#5 BRG

BRG

• 25,902 posts

Posted 10 March 2003 - 09:47

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Perhaps it was the sunglasses? :cool:

At Brands Hatch? In April? Hardly - as I remember there was even a brief flurry of snow! But you are doubtless right that it was a (maybe a bit dark) orange..