Photo

Question about Bari from Barry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 23:56

An anomaly has arisen with regard to the Bari Grand Prix that was run in the early years of the 1950s. This is the map from Darren's wonderful track database:

Posted Image

The lap distance is given as 2.5 miles. This map is from my Autosport Directory 1955 - but on Darren's F.1 results section, the 1954 Grand Prix was run over 60 laps of a 3.45 mile track. So something is wrong somewhere.

If anyone could chuck some illumination in the general direction of this, I would be grateful.

Also, where was the start/finish line and the pits?

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 00:24

A quick check of Sheldon shows that all the F1 and F2 GPs were run on a 3.45 mile track. In 1952 and 1955-6 it was a sports car event. Maybe your map is only for 1955-6 Barry?

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 00:34

this is from Autocourse 1951.

Posted Image

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 00:46

At the risk of adding to the confusion, in Georgano, DSJ (no less) says the lap distance was "8.93 miles (5.55km)"! He seems to have multiplied the km distance, rather than dividing ....

Pritchard and Davey say it was 5.34 miles (probably a typo for 3.45?). They also name it as "Lungomare".

No map in either book.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 07:22

There isn't sufficient difference in the maps to make that much difference in lap length either...

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 12:34

There were some pre-War events at Bari too, between 1926 and 1932 - perhaps on a shorter course? I've found results, but no race distances or lap lengths.

#7 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 17:33

The official publication of the Automobile Club Bari “50 anni di automobilismo sportivo in Puglia” gives the distance of 5.550 kms and a map with the layout posted by Roger run counterclockwise.
A change is mentioned only for the last GP in 1956: the circuit was run clockwise and main stand and pits were moved.
I could find no trace of Galpin’s layout.

#8 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 18:23

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with help, especially Roger who anticipated my next question regarding clockwise/anti clockwise! And thanks to Alessandro for confirming everything.

I wonder where the Autosport Directory map came from then! Probably the same source as their Reims map. :)

Anyway, it has taken me hours, but here is the result, ready for my Bari Grand Prix next week:

Posted Image

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 19:34

I've been at it again! Multi-mapping, I mean.

Apart from a dual carriageway at the bottom of the track, which I doubt was there in the early 50s, the Bari track is still there for all to see. It is also possible to see, roughly, where the circuit shown in the 'wrong' map could have run.

So, here is yet another track for Motor Sport or Les Amis des Circuits d'Antan to visit one day.

Posted Image

Having found this map, I fear I may have to redraw my circuit. :(

#10 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 19:46

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with help, especially Roger who anticipated my next question regarding clockwise/anti clockwise! And thanks to Alessandro for confirming everything.

I wonder where the Autosport Directory map came from then! Probably the same source as their Reims map. :)

Anyway, it has taken me hours, but here is the result, ready for my Bari Grand Prix next week:

Posted Image

The numbering of the track segments intrigues me, but I expect I have missed an earlier explanation.

It seems to me that if Jenks had been aware of your Scalextric track coding, he could have used it to grade corners and straights on the Mille Miglia in his roller box.

Speaking of which.....is there room in the shed for the MM?

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 20:41

You're right, Barry, that the shorter version's path is easily discerned...

But it isn't as shown on the first map posted. There's a variation in the lower right corner, as if perhaps there was a special road put in to avoid something in that area.

#12 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 21:13

Comparing the top two maps, it looks to me as if the road which goes towards the central stadium from the east on the top map is incomplete on the second (pink) map. I am talking about the road just below the grandstand on both maps - then the road below that on the pink map could easily be the track on the first map. The road which goes S or SW from the left-hand end of the pits joins the E-W road at the bottom in the right place for this to be true.