Photo

Who won a race staring from the pitlane?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 heki

heki

• 788 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:28

Kimi just nearly won the race in Melbourne starting practically from the pitlane... Well he didn't ... but I've read some reactions in the RC, where some posters mentioned that Kimi would not be the first to achieve such a thing, but nobody mentioned who (and when) won like that. :evil:

Could some of you help me, please?

Thanks...

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:32

I don't think it could be so...

Mainly because it would mean that Watson and Lauda making that charge from the back of the grid at Long Beach wouldn't be so remarkable.

#3 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 09:55

I know someone who finished in the pitlane :lol:

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 10:04

And then there's the driver who won in the pit lane...

Or was that the same one?

Stirling Moss once got his fastest practice lap in the pit lane too...

#5 mikedeering

mikedeering

• 3,522 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 11:26

Senna's fastest lap at the 1993 European GP was set driving through the pits.

As for starting from the pitlane and winning...hmmm. Tough one.

#6 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 16:36

Can't think of a winner but remember a piece of admistrative ineptitude at the 1990 Montreal race - Mansell and Nannini were allowed out of the pits before the field had taken off IIRC....then the officials addressed their error by disqualifying both cars :smoking:

#7 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 16:46

Watson's win from 22nd on the grid at Long Beach in 1983 is indeed quite astonishing. Wattie did it without the help of safety cars too... ;)

#8 heki

heki

• 788 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 18:45

Originally posted by John B
Can't think of a winner but remember a piece of admistrative ineptitude at the 1990 Montreal race - Mansell and Nannini were allowed out of the pits before the field had taken off IIRC....then the officials addressed their error by disqualifying both cars :smoking:

but that was in 89...
:drunk: FIA
but how could Ferrari resp. Benetton let them go without checking the field?

#9 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 00:44

I think both drivers went to the end of pitlane, expecting to be held until the race had started, and there was either no light or official to stop them, so they just drove out on the track. Nigel Roebuck wrote "The officials disqualified Mansell and Nannini. They should have also disqualified themselves from positions of authority at a World Championship Grand Prix," one of my favorite quotes :D

I'm pretty sure it was '90 - 1989 was the wet race won by Boutsen. Again, I'm vaguely remembering here, but there was some other strange incident when a car (Alesi's Tryell) spun out and crashed into another parked car that race.....

#10 AlesiUK

AlesiUK

• 2,852 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 01:23

I'm pretty sure it was '90 - 1989 was the wet race won by Boutsen. Again, I'm vaguely remembering here, but there was some other strange incident when a car (Alesi's Tryell) spun out and crashed into another parked car that race.....

1990 was the race where Alesi tyrell spun into ht eparked benneton

#11 heki

heki

• 788 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 08:45

I think both drivers went to the end of pitlane, expecting to be held until the race had started, and there was either no light or official to stop them, so they just drove out on the track. Nigel Roebuck wrote "The officials disqualified Mansell and Nannini. They should have also disqualified themselves from positions of authority at a World Championship Grand Prix," one of my favorite quotes :D

1989 Canada

#12 John B

John B

• 7,960 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 14:27

:blush:

I just remembered Roebuck blasted the Canadian organizers in the 1990 race report as well (that's how I mixed them) : "As a rescue attempt, it would have been an emabarrasment at a hill climb. At a Grand Prix it was unacceptable, well-intended amateurism at its worst."