Photo

Paint

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 1,945 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 10:14

Saw this in Motor Sport March 1957 the other day and thought "Crikey, they could get away with anything before the Trades Descriptions Act."
Posted Image

Then I spotted the wise words of WB (Matters of Moment, May 1957)

Posted Image

So the question is - which racing car manufacturers hand painted their cars in the 50's (60's???), and which spray painted? Until I saw the Valspar ad. in Motor Sport, I would have thought that even the humblest of builders used primitive spray guns but...

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 10:28

Brush painting is much more convenient when there's a crew of guys around bolting things together...

#3 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,901 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 13:06

Don't forget they would have been using cellulose paint, that needs a lot of finishing (e.g. polishing) even when sprayed.

The advantage of brush painting is that the stuff only goes where you want it, it doesn't go all over the workshop - since most teams would not have had space for a dedicated spray area, brush painting made a lot of sense.

And it is quite likely that the finish would be no worse since (some of?) these brush on paints don't suffer from brush marks when dry.

If I'd seen this a couple of weeks ago I'd have told the guy who just painted our Connaught to nip down B&Q for a paintbrush - as it is he sprayed it with 2 pack (most resistant to the Methanol fuel) while wearing all the breathing apparatus that stuff requires......

As for who else brush painted cars, I've no idea but have some recollection that Arch Motors brush painted the Lotus chassis with Navy surplus battleship paint!

One would assume that BRM used the most expensive method........

#4 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 13:28

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter Morley
[B]

As for who else brush painted cars, I've no idea but have some recollection that Arch Motors brush painted the Lotus chassis with Navy surplus battleship paint!

When Lotus were still at hornsey, Colin Chapman paid young enthusiastic local lads to brush paint light grey the newly welded up space frames after hours for 7s 6p per chassis !

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 14:32

So the question is - which racing car manufacturers hand painted their cars in the 50's (60's???), and which spray painted? Until I saw the Valspar ad. in Motor Sport, I would have thought that even the humblest of builders used primitive spray guns but...

I'd completely forgotten those Valspar ads. One of them featured the rear engined Vanwall. I can't remember any others.

I remember reading somewhere that it was rumoured that there was a very close resemblance between the yellow painted frames of Mk 1 Lolas and the colour used by the structural steel fabricators that one Eric Broadley worked for.

#6 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,350 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 15:42

Originally posted by Peter Morley
One would assume that BRM used the most expensive method........

...in some respects, yes, they were spray painted, and very thinly at that, but the paint sprayer was also the local undertaker in Bourne, who ran a sprayshop round the back when things were quiet...and presumably while the locals were healthy. But for a long time in the front-engined era BRM chassis were not painted at all - just left bare metal, wiped over with duck oil.

DCN

#7 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,901 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 18:01

Originally posted by Doug Nye
but the paint sprayer was also the local undertaker in Bourne, who ran a sprayshop round the back when things were quiet...

If 2 pack is as bad for your health as I'm told, then he could combine both activities these days!!

Originally posted by Doug Nye
But for a long time in the front-engined era BRM chassis were not painted at all - just left bare metal, wiped over with duck oil.

Presumably they didn't expect them to last long enough to rust!!!?

What about the cars whos chassis were welded up after the engine was fitted - e.g. the ATS F1 & some birdcage Maseratis (?). Would they have left them unpainted or touched them up afterwards?

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,974 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 20:01

ie. most of them?

I think that's basically the point I tried to make with my first post...

Very few cars were completed with such luxuries available as time to paint them. In addition to this, it is possible to get a really good finish with a brush. And the areas to be covered are small, again lending themselves to brush painting rather than spray.