Photo

BRM P261 Details

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 11:43

I'm trying to scratch-build a 1/32 P261 slot car (Stewart's '66 Monaco winner) and right now all I can do is try to "scale" it from photos. Does anyone know where I can find decent line drawings of it? I can't even find general dimensions for it (wheelbase, track, O/A length) on the web or in any of my books. For now I'm assuming a 90" wheelbase, 55" tracks front and rear and a 140" O/A length, but I'd really like to use the proper dimensions.

Bob Mackenzie

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 11:53

Just where is James Allington when you need him?

Those days there was usually a cutaway drawing in Autosport... maybe someone here has the right one?

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 20:23

There is, I understand, a book about these cars due some time this year. Does anybody know any more?

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 22:42

RWM - here's the original factory body line drawing for the P61 Mark II, dated August 5, 1963. I hope you can make something of it in conjunction with whatever photo reference you have available. Declared wheelbase on the drawing is 91-inches while the overall body length is 143.2-inches. The section stations marked here are struck at 10.650" centres. Nose overhang from the centre of the front wheel is marked as 35.775". Note that the tail shape changed between drawing and manufacture, losing the radius on its rearmost lip.

Posted Image

DCN

#5 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 02:39

Bob, not a line drawing or a plan, but there is a beautiful full page colour photograph of the very car at the very race in Cimarosti. PM me for a decent size scan if you're interested.

At the very least you'll be able to get the position of Jackie's chin strap just right.

#6 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 14:50

Ray,

I've got the Autosport line drawing from Setright's "The Grand Prix Car (1954-1966)" which is done by Theo Page and is excellent. But I am looking for side/front/plan views such as the one Doug provided above.

Roger,

I would snap up such a book and who knows where I'll be on my project by then. (I've never scratch built a car before.) My library has stayed static for years due to the usual financial compromises of family life, but it's time to stock it with a few new one's. Hasn't Doug got some out (or in the works) on BRM?

Doug,

Thanks for coming to my rescue again. Your response to my BRM colour thread was great. The line drawing above is just what I've been looking for. I've created a plan view in AutoCAD largely from several excellent pictures in the Cimarosti book and from my Scalextric P61 (not a great representation, but seems very true to scale). This view will help me validate some of my guesstimates. I have some questions about the tartan strip on Jackie's helmet, but I'm going to ask them in a seperate thread.

Vanwall,

Thanks for the offer, but as I mentioned above, I have the Cimarosti book and the picture you mention is one of two I've been using thus far. It's an outstanding photo and one of the shots that inspired this project.

Thanks again for your help folks. I'll keep you posted as my work moves along. I just hope I get it done before Fly, Ninco or Scalextric come out with '60's F1 cars to their incredible current standard of detail.

Regards,

Bob Mackenzie

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 18:33

Probably not much help to you, but the October 1965 issue of the UK publication Miniature Autoworld featured 1/32 scale plans of the the P261 by the estimable Malcolm T. Firth which may be of use. Let me know if I can photocopy them and send them to you.

#8 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 01:39

Alan,

I would greatly appreciate it. Every little bit helps. My e-mail address is:

robwmack@sympatico.ca.

Regards,

Bob Mackenzie