Photo

Old broadcasting ethics question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 John B

John B

• 7,961 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 14:47

Just went through some old race reports and was reminded of this unusual situation:

1985 CART Pocono 500. Al Unser Jr is a contender for the points title and running up front in the race. ESPN has a camera and in-car audio on his car. During the race Unser loses the ability to communicate directly with the crew, and as luck would have it during the middle of the race heavy rain threatens the track and for a while it becomes one of those pit-or-not-pit/yellow flag games, where moment-to-moment communication becomes critical. ESPN arranges to become the link and relay communications from crew to car and vice versa. At one point viewers get to hear Unser disgustedly tell his chief "we've just lost this race" after a pit decision. Ultimately the race is not shortened and he finishes 2nd I believe to Mears.

Did ESPN step out of bounds by doing this and potentially becoming a participant in the outcome? Or would anyone argue the team deserved some benefit by accomodating the camera and giving access to the audio?

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,244 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 15:31

Television and ethics...Nice one John B
2 of my favorite topics...All wrapped up in one..:clap:
BUT... grouping those two words together creates an oxymoron like;
Jumbo Shrimp
Military Inteligence
Rap Music
Passive Aggression

how very fitting!!

Seeing that motorsports is classed as"entertainment"
I vote for the latter

Jp

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:06

Originally posted by jonpollak
Television and ethics...Nice one John B
2 of my favorite topics...All wrapped up in one..:clap:
BUT... grouping those two words together creates an oxymoron like;
Jumbo Shrimp
Military Inteligence
Rap Music
Passive Aggression

how very fitting!!

Seeing that motorsports is classed as"entertainment"
I vote for the latter

Jp

Oh yes, brilliant, how true all that is, especially the "Rap Music " - I always thought this was a mis-spelling ! Have you got any more JP ?

I remember seeing that Indy Car race - I think at the time the commentators were too dim to realise what they were doing and genuinely thought they were being helpful !