Photo

Jenatzy's "Jamais Contente"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 16:10

the Jamais Contente was the first car to exceed 100kph. Can any of you give me a few basic details of its main features, please?

Advertisement

#2 powertrain

powertrain

• 723 posts

Posted 15 March 2003 - 17:28

Originally posted by Kpy
the Jamais Contente was the first car to exceed 100kph. Can any of you give me a few basic details of its main features, please?

The electric vehicle was built and raced in France by Camille Jenatzy of Belgium. Inspired by his wife he called it the Jamais Contente (Never Contented). It had two direct drive 25kW motors running at 200V and drawing 124 Amperes. It was powered by 2 Fulmen Batteries, and weighed 3,197 lbs. It had semi-elliptical leaf spring suspension, wood spoke wheels, Michelin solid rubber tires, and a cigar shaped Parinium (aluminum, magnesium, tungsten) alloy body built by Rothschild that contained the batteries, leaving little room for the driver who had to sit very high and straight. The motors were placed in a metal casing between the rear wheels. In a way it was designed like a modern F1 car. It was probably the first car ever built specifically for racing. The record, 105.85km/h or 66mph (one kilometer, standing start in 38.8 seconds), took place on April 29, 1899, in France. The record held for about two years until Leon Serpolet drove his 4 cylinder steam engined car at a speed of 120.8 kmh - 75 mph

Posted Image

#3 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 08:10

Powertrain -

Thank you so much - just what I needed.