Photo

New "classic f1" cars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 just me again

just me again

• 6,704 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:50

Readings Wolfs top 10 drivers thread i some how was thinking about these New "classic f1" cars someone was building to make a one make series.
All i can remember is :
They are build maybe 5 years ago
They maybe have a 4cyl. 2,5L engine from a manufacture starting with H ( Hollbay??.)
They have a rollcage with sideprotection for the head.

Was the cars ever built?.
If they was built, did the one make series happen?.
What was the performase of the cars ( eg maybe like a Maserati 250F ?? )
What did happen to the series and the cars?.
In a fantasy world could they maybe bee used to a series like USA's IROC. I think they would be perfect, because every driver will start from scratch,
Bjørn

Advertisement

#2 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 20:52

Well, there's a company in England (forget the name right at the moment) that did a one make series using their Jaguar D-Type replicas, and it was pretty successful. I also seem to remember seeing a 250F shaped single seater advertised in the back of Motor Sport or Classic & Sports Car, that ran a modern engine/trans combo, but have no idea which one. Course, if you start running cars with small-ish four pot motors, you are getting perilously close to F2 or FF cars of yore, aren't you? (though I suppose a front engined, GP styled car would be a bit different)
-William (just charge that two cents!)

#3 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 21:52

Bjorn -
it was called Formula Classic, but I don't recall too much more than you have already surmised. 2.5 litre 4-cyls by Holbay - possibly Pinto-based (can't remember for sure), front engined. I seem to remember the driver sat straddling the transmission with the gearlever between the thighs.
They raced a couple of times at Donington; I think there was some inherent technical problem with the engines or possibly their installation in this particular car (can't remember exactly, I wouldn't want to malign the engine builder) so the series was suspended pending a solution but as far as I know it never reappeared.
Martin Donnelly drove one.
I was never too sure what happened to it really - if anyone can confirm or correct my comments I'd be most interested too...

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 06:10

The idea came from Tom Wheatcroft/Donington
The idea seems to have been to re-create the appeal of the old front-engined era without the need to fork out millions for a 250F. They were apparently fun to drive but never caught on - the attraction of historic (or even 'classic') racing is, after all, to do with the cars' historic or classic status, of which these cars had neither

#5 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 16:38

There was also a frenh serie ? with Bugatti copy, I don't if there was ever a race in the mid 80's

Robert

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,940 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 17:30

Whatever happened to the Formula Classic cars? There must have been 20 or so of them built and they only raced a couple of times, plus some testing. Seems like such a waste.

As I recall, it was a serious engine problem that stopped the series. Frankly, I remember feeling dubious at the time of the series launch about the engines, given what I had heard of Holbay's poor relaibility in rallying with large capacity Ford Pintos.

It seemed strange that the whole thing just vanished without trace after so much work and expense setting it up...

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 17:38

Originally posted by BRG
Whatever happened to the Formula Classic cars? There must have been 20 or so of them built and they only raced a couple of times, plus some testing. Seems like such a waste.

I can confirm there is one in the Donington museum...but I walked straight past without stopping to look at it. :

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,223 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 19:53

What a shame they chose such a dog of an engine...

Now, if they'd used the twin-cam 4-valve inline six from the Soarer, they'd have a really nice 250F replica powerplant that would sound just magic!

#9 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 21:27

Another drawback was that the cars had the appearance of a tractor about them - more like a midget racer with none of the grace or sublime beauty of the 250F. Also, I seem to recall that entry to the proposed series was a pretty hefty sum of money.

#10 Mark Beckman

Mark Beckman

• 782 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:50

Originally posted by Ray Bell
What a shame they chose such a dog of an engine...

Now, if they'd used the twin-cam 4-valve inline six from the Soarer, they'd have a really nice 250F replica powerplant that would sound just magic!

I dont want to start a trend, but I find myself in total agreement with you again Ray ;)

Why is it that one make series, be it classic as in this topic or modern have to have ridiculous expense attached to them instead of a simple, reliable, off the shelf yet powerful engine such as this suggested ?

You'll never make it big with CAMS Ray with good idea's such as this.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,223 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 08:03

Did I ever tell you about the Annual Report I wrote for the NSW Racing Panel?

Well... that's another story...

#12 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 08:26

----Mark Beckham

You'll never make it big with CAMS Ray with good idea's such as this.

-------------------------------------------------

Ray has been around to long to even think about being in with those( people).That
like saying Bruce Polain would be elected as President of CAMS no chance in HELL. :rotfl:

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,223 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 08:37

I'll tell Bruce you're one of his fans...

#14 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 08:41

Originally posted by eldougo

-------------------------------------------------

Ray has been around to long to even think about being in with those( people).That
like saying Bruce Polain would be elected as President of CAMS no chance in HELL. :rotfl:

I would vote for him! :)