Photo

USGP Thread

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 18:38

Seats 1-6 (Row DD) in the Paddock and we are staying at the Motel 6 across from Union Jacks :up:

Advertisement

#2 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 19:33

I have not heard good things about that hotel aportinga. I suppose its OK if you're not going to spend a whole lot of time there. I just hope it doesn't turn into a disaster like what you had last year.

#3 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 19:59

We stayed at that motel 6 the first 2 years. It is a dump! and a rip off. The only thing going for it is the Union Jack!
RV last year, but got totally pissed at the RAM on the Thursday night , fell out of the top Bunk dislocated & broke my sholder, ( I did win a T-Shirt at karaoke though )
This year it's the good OL Courtyard at the Capital. Cheaper than the Motel 6 and Downtown.

#4 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 20:28

Is it really that bad.... I heard about price gouging but is it a total dump???

Just in case I have made reservations at another hotel as well.

BTW...... Anyone (such as ICJ) who can provide me with input regarding a good place to have the Atlas party just let me know.

Perhaps we should simply do a cook off in the parking lot???

#5 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 21:19

Yes it is. Funnily enough we actually had the same room both years. I think they had the same sheets on the bed! Joking aside, It's bad. It is close to the track and right by the Union Jack but that really is about it. They're hard pushed to justify the $29.95 they advertise outside.
I don't know what they're charging now, but I believe we paid around $700.00 for 4 nights

#6 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 15:31

I can do the leg work to find a different place if you guys want. The only thing I have against a saturday evening cook-out is that september weather is very unpredictable. We have been very lucky to have great weather the last two years.

#7 Bart

Bart

• 4,411 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 15:50

I stayed in that Motel 6 one night 2 weeks after the 2000 USGP (I'd taken some vacation time to drive around Ontario and New England and had an early morning flight out of Indianapolis. And, forgive my obviously low hygiene standards, but I thought it was OK. The place looked a bit run down form the view of the lobby and corridors, etc., but the room was OK, the bed linen was clean, and the shower worked. What else are you looking for from a hotel during a race weekend? I think the ability to walk to IMS rather than have to drive and get stuck in traffic and then get charged $20 to park on someone's lawn is worth quite a bit.

Of course, things could be worse during the weekend itself, but it can't be as bad at the place I actually stayed during that weekend, namely the Cross Country Motor Inn, directly across from the track. It was a complete dump, featuring cockroaches and a toilet that kept flushing itself during the night. This place shares the dubious honour of being both the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, and the most expensive. If anyone is booked in there, flee!

#8 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 18:28

Bart, you're right, If you are just looking for a bed then this is fine, albeit an expensive bed! It is close to the track & the Union Jack. Hey, just hang out in the bar until closing and drink plenty of beer, you won't give a crap about the room then.
Aport, If you're up for a bit of adventure, RV it. Besides my night in the emergency room it was a blast. That whole thing was just the same price as the Motel 6. We're gonna do that again next year

#9 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 19:14

Motel 6 wants $140 per night with a 3 night minimum. I am staying at a hotel which I previously stayed at that is very clean, has and indoor pool and hot tub (as well as an outdoor pool) for $170 per night. But they allow for a 2 night stay. Jport and I are staying for three nights (Fri/Sat/Sun) while her parents and uncle and aunt (party animals thank god!) are staying Sat & Sunday only. And I think her dad may even allow us to take one of there Vette's down :up: :up: :up: thus cutting the 4.5 hour drive in half ;)

I'd love to RV it and we may next year. I need to get the finances behind that all.

As for the Atlas party.... If we were to do a cook-out I'd probably suggest it would be Saturday after qualifying - in the parking lot..... and don't worry we'll get the right lot this time if this is what we choose to do. I am also open to RAM once again. The service was excellent and the food was rather good. However when you are purchasing plates prior to the actual date at $25-$30 bucks a shot and people do not show up, it can put a dent in your wallet. Needless to say, it was very much worth the event last year :up:

#10 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 01 April 2003 - 20:15

Say what you want about the Motel $6oo, but it's the same as any Motel 6 anywhere. They're undergoing a $2M renovation in time for the GP. It's amile from the track, Union Jack's is across the street, everything's right at hand, easy in, easy out...

I've stayed there for 3 years in-a-row now, and other than the price there's not much to complain about. The place across the street is a real dump. Major League Party Central. Considering that anywhere you go in Indy that's within 5-10 miles of the track is expensive.

:smoking:

#11 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 19:18

Good News!

I have reserved a private dining room at Alcatraz Brewery for Saturday 27th night from 7-11PM.

Alcatraz Brewery

We will be having brick-cooked pizzas and plenty of booze!

BTW... Alcatraz is identical to RAM Brewery where we were last year.

#12 F1flagger

F1flagger

• 35 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 00:39

The first two years of the USGP we stayed at a Motel 6 a few miles from the track. As workers it was one that USAC had selected and gotten us a "preferred" rate. It was as ratty as they come, cracked toilet, used condom on the floor... all the other amenities for much more than we pay for an apartment (with kitchen and jacuzzi) in downtown Montreal during its GP week.

#13 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 12:11

Okay we are at the Ramada Inn on 520 E Thompson Rd Indianapolis IN 46227 - The phone number there is 317-787-8341 . They will take 2-3 night reservations at $175 per night. BUT! The place is VERY clean, has an indoor and outdoor pool, indoor hot tub, resturant and is only 10 miles (if that) from the track - 5 miles from downtown.

I have also confirmed dinner at 7PM at Alcatraz Brewery (similar to RAM), in a private dinning room for Saturday night the 27th. We will choose from an assortment of brick made pizza's and plenty of booze!

Anyone care to start a fund to help Mikko join us?

#14 Wheels

Wheels

• 242 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 15:17

Were staying at the Ramada 2. Good thing is u don't need a res. 4 a minimun of 3 nights. We're only staying Sat. night.

Does anyone have extra tix(2) 4 sec "h" or "J". We usually buy them at the track, but would like them in advance this yr. Thankx

#15 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 21:04

Originally posted by aportinga
Anyone care to start a fund to help Mikko join us?

I'll buy him a beer... but only in a kan.;)

#16 dick

dick

• 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 00:34

Aportinga,
I stayed at that hotel the first year of the Grand Prix. Not a bad place...the only problem we had was lack of public transportation downtown. I knew we'd be drinking so I really didn't want to drive. It turned out the concierge was more than accomodating and gave us a ride downtown and even offered to pick us up later. Couldn't believe it!

#17 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 03:33

Originally posted by CONOSUR
I'll buy him a beer... but only in a kan.;)

Very punny.

#18 andviv

andviv

• 371 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 18:28

does anybody knows about a camping site close to IMS ?

We are planning to go there but there is no $$$ for hotel... so we are trying to find a camping place (we have 2 tents and we are like 8-12 people going). Any suggestions?

#19 jswavy

jswavy

• 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 18:37

You can camp right in the track's parking lots. I do it every year. All you have to do is pay for the parking permit and you can set up a tent in your spot.

Advertisement

#20 andviv

andviv

• 371 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 18:39

perfect!!!!

do they have any restrictions about size and things like that? what about the facilities (restroom, food court, etc) ?
can the parking permit be for Passenger Car Parking Permits or they have to be for RV Parking Permits? what is the difference?

Thanks for the info....

#21 jswavy

jswavy

• 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 19:40

There are portable toilets, but no showers or wash rooms. Food is available from nearby stands and its only a short drive to some decent chain restaurants. There are two types of passes -- one for passenger vehicles ($50 for Thursday until after the race on Sunday I think) and those for RVs, which are more expensive.

#22 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 00:52

jswavy:

check out the speedway website at www.imstix.com. they have maps and prices for the car and rv parking. they range from $20-$120 for cars & rv's for a day or the whole weekend. most are grass (except i think lot 3). there are also private lots farther north of the speedway but i don't have any info about prices or facilities. good luck..

hope you can make it. the more the merrier..

#23 lindej

lindej

• 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 14:29

The parking area is actually a complete blast. Without insulting any natives, there is practically nothing to do in Indy itself and most of the hotels are pretty low rate. My wife and I go to Canada every year and stay at the Omni (where BAR, Ferrari and Toyota often stay) and do the whole expensive restaurant thing - nevertheless, I think I have more actual fun staying track-side at Indy. Good place to find the other wacko U.S. F1 enthusiasts. This year, my father and uncle and I are renting an RV (in Indy) and driving in from D.C. (me), Boston (my dad) and Milwaukee (uncle). I know we will start a travel thread before the race, but feel free to stop by the RV parked next to a BMW M Coupe, license plates "FW25F1," for a beer!

#24 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 17:45

The parking lots is definately where the party is. A buddy of mine at work told me that the night before the Brickyard 400 was wild at the Coke lot. There was a guy that set up a stage by his van with camera equipment filming his own "Girls gone wild" video featuring a prominent sign saying "Show us your tits!". The USGP crowd isn't quite as rowdy as the Indy 500 or BY 400. It will be a good time nevertheless.

Oh and lindej....we know Indianapolis isn't a tourist destination or a nest of hedonistic debauchery. We like it that way. :) That said, there are things to do and bars that have live bands. Broadripple is a good place to go for such things as is south Meridian Street just a couple blocks of Monument Circle downtown. You have only yourself to blame for not having a good time here.

One other thing....Indianapolis is in no way shape or form like Montreal. To compare the city of Indianapolis to Montreal is unfair. We're a typical midwestern city as opposed to one of the oldest cities in North America with european flavor.

#25 andviv

andviv

• 371 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 18:46

Originally posted by lindej
The parking area is actually a complete blast. ... This year, my father and uncle and I are renting an RV (in Indy) and driving in from D.C. (me), Boston (my dad) and Milwaukee (uncle). I know we will start a travel thread before the race, but feel free to stop by the RV parked next to a BMW M Coupe, license plates "FW25F1," for a beer!

lindej,

We are traveling from the D.C area as well. Two cars and a tent. Sure I will look for your car. Where do you plan to rent the RV at? Can you give me more info about it?

Thanks,

P.S. We are planning in leaving thursday night. When are you planning to start your trip?

#26 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 19:02

Good News!

I have reserved a private dining room at Alcatraz Brewery for Saturday 27th night from 7-11PM.

Alcatraz Brewery

We will be having brick-cooked pizzas and plenty of booze!

BTW... Alcatraz is identical to RAM Brewery where we were last year.

Do to personal issues - mostly financial, I regret to inform you that I will not be able to host the Meet and Greet this year. However the room is still available and requires a $500.00 deposit.

I am deeply sorry for those who planned on attending.

If anyone wishes to meet in the stands or perhaps at Union Jack's please let us know....

Regrets
- Andy

#27 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 22:31

Do to personal issues - mostly financial, I regret to inform you that I will not be able to host the Meet and Greet this year. However the room is still available and requires a $500.00 deposit.

I am deeply sorry for those who planned on attending.

If anyone wishes to meet in the stands or perhaps at Union Jack's please let us know....

Regrets
- Andy

[Blazing Saddles mode]
Room?!?!? We don't need no stinking room!!! [/Blazing Saddles mode]

Mmmmmmm......Union Jacks....... Sounds great! They have one of the (if not THE) best tenderloin sandwiches in the city. Their pizza is pretty good too. So if one were to want to find you, are you actually going to be at the parking lot you say you'll be at this time?  ;)

#28 lindej

lindej

• 29 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 23:03

Indycarjunkie - I would like this to serve as my "official apology for inappropriately slandering Indianapolis" post! You are truly correct that any folks leaving Indy without having a good time are themselves to blame, as there are quite a few nice restaurants, bars and sights to see. My family hails originally from the midwest (MO), so I should be less judgemental. For those leaving from DC, we (I think) will be leaving here on Thursday afternoon or evening. We rented our RV from a place outside of Indy, I'll have to find the documents to confirm the name. I believe it's still possible to find available rentals, but you may have to look beyond the city's borders.

#29 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 17:22

Thanks ICJ for being so great about this. I really feel bad for those who were looking forward to the meet and greet.

Like I mention in the PM..... Saving up for a wedding (we want to pay for it ourselves) and a new additions to our home (now that we are not moving) have absorbed a ton of money and we really cannot take the chance on losing anything... Especially since we are footing the bill (room and race tickets) for 6 people.

I still hope to hook up with as many friends over the web as possible.

:up:

#30 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 21:11

Do to personal issues - mostly financial, I regret to inform you that I will not be able to host the Meet and Greet this year.

Wtf?!?! :confused: Too bad, amigo. As for Union Jack's, best get there by 6pm if you want to sit down.

Originally posted by lindej
...feel free to stop by the RV parked next to a BMW M Coupe, license plates "FW25F1," for a beer!

Now that's doable, except it's a BIG lot.

#31 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 14:52

Wow!

Looks like someone is reading our gripes

United States follows Hungarian example
Pit lane walkabout open to general public

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pit lane walkabout open to fans

The United States Grand Prix has followed in the footsteps of the Hungarian Grand Prix organisers by inviting the general public to a pit-lane walkabout during the course of the race weekend
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Story

#32 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 14:55

Yea,
Too bad I'm not able to get there until Friday.

#33 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 15:24

Looks like someone is reading our gripes

United States follows Hungarian example
Pit lane walkabout open to general public

quote:
Pit lane walkabout open to fans

The United States Grand Prix has followed in the footsteps of the Hungarian Grand Prix organisers by inviting the general public to a pit-lane walkabout during the course of the race weekend

You can read the entire story http://f1.racing-liv...m/en/index.html

#34 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 16:18

Something to do Thursday morning! Looks like arriving on Wednesday finally has its advantage, afterall.

#35 aportinga

aportinga

• 10,601 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 17:38

Yes indeed :up:

#36 kozmo

kozmo

• 135 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 17:42

8am - 12pm on thursday? why so early? is this designed to increase local interest because how many of the out of town folks (like myself) will be in the vincinity that early ... oh, well. maybe next year.

dg

#37 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 13:27

I'll be there. Leaving Chicago at 5AM

#38 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2003 - 20:57

Stand H, S-23, R-FF, Seats 9 & 10. Are these still in Indiana or can I see N. Dakota from there?

#39 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:57

Anyone ever been to a Midget race?? I see theres one on the 26th at IRP and was wondering if it's worth a visit?

Advertisement

#40 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 15:53

One of my friends usually goes, but the downside is it tends to increase his ability to drink cheap beer and listen to country music... :drunk:

#41 indycarjunkie

indycarjunkie

• 2,699 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 19:23

Originally posted by Berner
Stand H, S-23, R-FF, Seats 9 & 10. Are these still in Indiana or can I see N. Dakota from there?

:lol:

Actually I think you have great seats. They are high, but you will see alot from your vantage point.

#42 atbrady2000

atbrady2000

• 128 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 19:33

Tickets Mailed yesterday :clap: :clap: Sec B36 RR 6-7 I hope they are decent? ICJ ???

#43 nitrofan

nitrofan

• 36 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 20:53

Originally posted by benn5325
Anyone ever been to a Midget race?? I see theres one on the 26th at IRP and was wondering if it's worth a visit?

I went last year and it was the best race i saw that weekend.

of course that isn't saying much, but it really was fun.