Photo

April 7th 1968; Jim Clark remembered

• Please log in to reply
473 replies to this topic

#451 john aston

john aston

• 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 13:50

Me too - but never saw him race sadly. The sight of Tim Davies on huuge amounts of opposite lock at the end of the Craner curves was quite something yesterday though  . 

Advertisement

#452 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 505 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 16:41

It doesn't get any easier as the years pass. But as Doug said earlier "I don't have to believe it if I don't want to."

#453 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,940 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 17:45

I will raise a glass to Jim today, where has the time gone?

:up: To the memories of Jim.

#454 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 25,984 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:15

Another April 7th. It's dull and misty here in Somerset this morning. They say the sun will shine later. Maybe it will, but not inside.

Godspeed, Jim.

#455 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 15,247 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:31

I hadn't really noticed that the anniversary was approaching until I switched the radio on this morning and heard the newsreader announce the date at the start of his bulletin. Then it hit - hard.

#456 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 25,984 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:42

Today is also the centenary of the birth of the great Billie Holiday. The Telegraph has a picture gallery of her, tied to what they consider her top ten songs. The titles of number 9 and number 5 may give pause for thought. Maybe even number 6 too.

http://www.telegraph...-top-songs.html

#457 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 129 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:37

This date always sends a shiver down my neck. Is it really 47 years ago? Still seems like yesterday...

#458 Sanzx81

Sanzx81

• 112 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:26

RIP Jimmy, a legend forever and possibly still the greatest driver ever.

Sad sad day indeed :'(

#459 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 844 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:36

This ominous date crept up on me, too.  Only in coming to TNF and seeing this thread did it hit me.

It's 06:34 EDT here right now.  I believe that's it's six hours to Germany so about 12:30pm their local time.  Jimmy would still be with us I would think.  How sad to realize that in just a very short time, he'd be lost to us forever.  :(

Advertisement

#460 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• 351 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:09

I re-watched the documentary "Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion" a few evenings ago and was reminded the anniversary was fast approaching

Edited by Dick Dastardly, 07 April 2015 - 11:09.

#461 launchpad

launchpad

• 118 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:51

JIM%20CLARK%20CHERNSIDE%202002%204_zpskb

Jim Clark's final resting place. On the anniversary of his death.

#462 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,832 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:08

Another year gone by. 47 years seems like yesterday. I remember a cold rainy day in central Ohio, sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast when the news came over the radio.

#463 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 25,984 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 13:03

Racer.com have put together a new gallery of pictures of Jimmy from the LAT archives. Some of them familiar, some less so.

http://www.racer.com...l=1&limitstart=

(My thanks to Stick500 over at TrackForum for highlighting it)

#464 D28

D28

• 260 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 14:10

Thanks Vitesse2 for the photos. Love the shot of Clark at speed in the DB4 Zagato. I don't know if he actually won any races with this car, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

#465 SKL

SKL

• 642 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 18:12

I remember as a freshman in college   (LONG before the internet) walking to the library to study and hearing the news...   back then my only F1 information was through Rob Walker's articles in Road and Track.  Many years later, realized too late I'd passed near his final resting place when driving from England to Scotland.

RIP.

#466 Sigur

Sigur

• 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 13:52

Jimmy Clark is going to be honored this year at the Brickyard Invitational. This is a racing day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway which has vintage racers from the past 100 years as well as drivers.

http://www.racer.com...rd-invitational

#467 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,866 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 16:07

I still live near Brands, the theatre of so many of Jim's great performances, of which I saw most as a youngster, I thought it would last forever. I still visit, only last week during testing, but my mind still wanders to that 2 wheeling Cortina through Bottom Bend, being pushed by Dan the man in the Race of Champions in '65, so many fabulous memories that now always return at this time of the year sadly.

#468 bathceltic

bathceltic

• 89 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 21:12

Sorry to vent my anger, but BBC 5 live on Friday night with Jenny Gow ended up with me spitting feathers with modern f1 journalists, she had 2 from the sun and one from the mirror i think and said who was the greatest british driver ever to race at the British grand prix?, answers 'Jackie Stewart - fair enough, next one - Nigel mansell - ok, Derek Warwick???? Now i love Delboy but to not think Jim Clark deserves to be in that list but Derek does is madness and i am sure he would agree. These guys are on good money and have jobs many would die for, so I would expect better. Thoughts?

Edited by bathceltic, 05 July 2015 - 21:13.

#469 jimclark

jimclark

• 96 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:17

Sometimes you just have to wonder.....

#470 pete53

pete53

• 424 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:27

Sorry to vent my anger, but BBC 5 live on Friday night with Jenny Gow ended up with me spitting feathers with modern f1 journalists, she had 2 from the sun and one from the mirror i think and said who was the greatest british driver ever to race at the British grand prix?, answers 'Jackie Stewart - fair enough, next one - Nigel mansell - ok, Derek Warwick???? Now i love Delboy but to not think Jim Clark deserves to be in that list but Derek does is madness and i am sure he would agree. These guys are on good money and have jobs many would die for, so I would expect better. Thoughts?

This does display a lack of historical knowledge about the sport that they ought to have some in depth appreciation of. I also follow football and I get very annoyed when journalists talk as if football didn't exist before the advent of the Premier League.

I suppose the only thing I can perhaps say in their defence is that Jim Clark's last win at the British GP was in 1967 - nearly 50 years ago and long before they were born. Now if I think back to when I was in my 20s/30s and an avid fan of motor sport, 50 years ago was the 1920s/1930s and I am not sure that I would have been that appreciative of the leading lights of motor sport from that era. I am not necessarily excusing their ignorance but something that still seems like only yesterday to us older folk is  world away to younger generations.

#471 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 5,421 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:31

What?  No Lewis Hamilton?

What's wrong with the BBC?

Henri

#472 jimclark

jimclark

• 96 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:29

With all due respect to mssr Hamilton, do you really thnk he deservrs credit brfore Jimmy????

Edited by jimclark, 08 July 2015 - 04:29.

#473 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 5,421 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:09

With all due respect to mssr Hamilton, do you really thnk he deservrs credit brfore Jimmy????

I was sarcastic.

with the current hype within the British racing scene, media and fans about "Bling bling" Hamilton,it  does surprise me that the opportunity to promote "Bling Bling" another time was not taken up. The question was about the greatest british driver ever to race at the british Grand Prix. Reading that to the bare letter, that does include the years 2007-2015 and thus another opportunity for yet another expression of British patriotism to nominate the national current hero another time. "Surprisingly" that didn't happen. 

I doubt if Jim Clark would have behaved like "Bling Bling" did in Monaco recently i something like that should have happened to Jimmy.

Any clue who I favor and respect most of all of the drivers named in this post? One hint: I've seen his indy winning car being fired up for a demo run.

And by the way, yes, I am also sick of the examples of patriotism leading to rediculous posts within a thread in our sister forum in which a fellow country man of my is compared with his teammate so all objectivity been lost.

Henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 08 July 2015 - 07:09.

#474 ensign14

ensign14

• 38,880 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 20:09

I think he has to be up there with Stewart at least.