April 7th 1968; Jim Clark remembered

• Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#51 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,307 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:04

Fantastic Shot! :up:

Do we know who this lovely little Fraulein is?
She would be roughly 40 or so now and it would be marvellous to hear her recollections (if any) of that fateful day.

Advertisement

#52 Newtown

Newtown

• 125 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 06:10

Originally posted by Marc

" Les dernières photos de Jim Clark montraient trop la déception que lui avait causé sa voiture aux essais. Avant le départ, il avait quand-même eu cet ultime sourire provoqué par l' intérêt que lui portait cette petite fille. "

"The last few pictures of Jim Clark clearly show how concerned he was with the car after the practice sessions. Prior to the start though he was still able to show a huge smile due to this little girl who showed interest in him."

#53 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 10:29

Nor is it a forced smile...

Posted Image

A reminder of how fragile life can be. How blissfully unaware the doomed warrior is just minutes from his fate...

.....I edited the pic in here to enable folk to look at it again without flicking back a page.....

#54 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,252 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:44

I've only just noticed how the girl's hand is touching the cockpit side...
That's an achingly poignant picture, isn't it?

#55 Chris Skepis

Chris Skepis

• 179 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 15:25

This photo of Clark and the kid was first published by the the Automobile Year #16, on the last page for the Jim Clark tribute.

#56 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 18:32

Doug wrote:

he was truly exceptional...an unassuming, gentlemanly giant succeeded by pygmies.

Eloquently put, Doug.

The black tie came out again yesterday, for the 35th time. Ironically, it led to an interesting conversation with my psychiatrist.....

#57 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 20:36

Originally posted by Carlos Guerra

... and 35 years later you still remember what exactly you were doing at that precise moment you heard that sad news on the radio...

Very well said Carlos. I was only 13 then and just got infected by the Motor Racing virus. Clark was my standard and it was my first confrontation with the dangers of the sport. His death was also the start of a very dark period in Motor Racing. Some more sad 35th anniversaries are on the way..........Spence, Scarfiotti, Schlesser....

Here's another picture (Benno Muller) of Clark on that fatal day :

Posted Image

#58 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 22:39

Originally posted by Barry Boor
.....Ironically, it led to an interesting conversation with my psychiatrist.....

One could almost say, "Naturally!"

When are you coming out here for a guided tour of Lobethal, Barry? I'd love to do my own psychoanalysis on you...

#59 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,839 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 20:19

Originally posted by Marc
Posted Image

Incredible! Times have changed completely. And yet I remember those old days.

Advertisement

#60 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 655 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 20:46

I also remember April 7th every year and I remember the sadness I felt the next day when I learned of his passing.

I had the opportunity to meet Jim Clark at Watkins Glen in 1967 at my first GP and I will never forget how he took so much time in the midst of GP weekend to talk to a 15 year old boy.

He was my first racing hero, and my judgement then has stood the test of time.

My favorite photo of Jim, by Jesse Alexander. A print from the original negative hangs in my hallway and I look at it every day.

Posted Image

Au revoir Jim. :cry:

#61 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 22:19

Dennis - that is a wonderful photo of Jimmy by Jesse Alexander. Thank you for posting it. I seem to recall that it was taken just after the 1960 Belgian GP. It certainly conveys the stress and intensity of what was a very sad day (plus any GP at Spa would probably bring maximum stress!). Is my memory correct?

#62 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,682 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 23:12

When I think of the great Jim Clark, it is that photo which springs to mind first. Thanks for posting it Dennis.

With remembrance to one of the finest drivers ever.

Posted Image

#63 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,225 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 08:24

For us the telling measure of Jimmy's capabilities was the fact that on his first visit to Spa in 1958 he had been scared out of his mind by the pace on such a daunting circuit of Gregory and Scott-Brown in their Listers, and had then seen the latter's wrecked car demolished in a fireball with a much-respected driver fatally burned. Here in 1960 two drivers had been killed, he had seen Chris Bristow's body being dragged from the track in his path and his own team-mate Alan Stacey's car blazing in a field beside the course. He detested Spa ever after and freely admitted that it "gives me the willies". Yet he still drove there competitively enough to be in a position to win the Belgian GP four times in succession. Not merely class...courage too.

DCN

#64 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,957 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 23:16

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
Dennis - that is a wonderful photo of Jimmy by Jesse Alexander. Thank you for posting it. I seem to recall that it was taken just after the 1960 Belgian GP. It certainly conveys the stress and intensity of what was a very sad day (plus any GP at Spa would probably bring maximum stress!). Is my memory correct?

i have a copy of the picture purchased at an exhibition of Jesse Alexander's photographs at Goodwood a few years ago. It also appears in Alexander's book "Forty Years of motor sport photography". In both cases it says that the picture was taken at Spa in 1962, the scene of his first Grand Prix win.

#65 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 655 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 23:37

Roger, I have checked a few sources as well. "Looking Back" which is where I originally saw the photo, and Jesse's website. Both list the photo as After Winning the Belgian Grand Prix, Spa Francorchamps, Belgium, 1962.

#66 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,400 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 23:46

I hadn't mentioned this, but I had a notion that it was a little too modern for 1960...

The goggles, for instance, and even Jim's apparent age, and also the knowledge that it was too well recognised by me to have been outside the time of my following of F1, which began in 1962.

Nevertheless, he had a harrowing enough race that year, with yet another of his team mates burying his car in the scenery and a car on fire on the side of the track... it would have brought back all the wrong memories.

#67 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 21:54

Jim Clark, 36 years ago.....
I hope they're still having a great time up there!

Posted Image

Watkins Glen 1963 : Colin Chapman, Jim Clark, Jim Endruweit and Pedro Rodriguez.

#68 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 22:20

It seems there are some problems with Marc's splendid photo (it doesn't load, must be missing from that site). I hope noone will mind if I upload it to my webspace and repost it here...

Posted Image

#69 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,492 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 22:21

another year........................unbelievable. I was going to give Bob dance a call this week, think I'll leave it for a few days.

#70 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 22:33

And here is (actually, one of) my favourite photo(s). Taken from 'Cruel Sport' (I have quite a larger scan, and will mail it upon request). Well, it's (on this day an unneccessary :() reminder of how delicate those little caers were, and with driver flanked by fuel bags... :(

Posted Image

#71 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 655 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 23:50

So it is once again that we celebrate the life of one of our immortals.

Each year at this time, I re-read the prologue to "Jim Clark" by DCN as the words contained on that single page evoke such strong memories of Clark the driver, and man.

I often wonder at this time of year what would have become of Jim Clark had the events of 36 years ago not occurred. Today he certainly would have been an elder statesman of a now bygone era. Sadly now so few remain with us.

#72 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 00:19

Always hits me - every year.

#73 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,754 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 00:51

Originally posted by Doug Nye
In my experience I am convinced of one thing regarding Jim Clark - no finer Man in motor racing history has attained the magical status of standard setter...he was truly exceptional...an unassuming, gentlemanly giant succeeded by pygmies.
DCN

i can think of no finer homage than that which you have written doug...it is wonderful...i met jim clark at the glen in 1967.....my father had photographer's credentials, and i don't know how he did it, but he was able to get my mother, myself, my brothers and sister into the kendall tech center and we were just in total awe of seeing and meeting our heros....thankfully my dad took plenty of pictures that i now have adorning my studio today....i remember that entire weekend as if it were yesterday....jim clark was a class act and motor racing has always been the lesser since his passing....i shall have a dram in his honour tomorrow....cheers jim.........

#74 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,754 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 00:53

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
I also remember April 7th every year and I remember the sadness I felt the next day when I learned of his passing.

I had the opportunity to meet Jim Clark at Watkins Glen in 1967 at my first GP and I will never forget how he took so much time in the midst of GP weekend to talk to a 15 year old boy.

My favorite photo of Jim, by Jesse Alexander. A print from the original negative hangs in my hallway and I look at it every day.

Posted Image

my father has one in his office also.....a truly fine portrait...

#75 RX-7

RX-7

• 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:26

If I only could have been old enough to see him at Spa. Actually,I would have been happy to have seen him race anywhere. RIP Jimmy.

#76 RX-7

RX-7

• 304 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 01:37

Originally posted by rdrcr
When I think of the great Jim Clark, it is that photo which springs to mind first. Thanks for posting it Dennis.

With remembrance to one of the finest drivers ever.

Posted Image

IMHO,I think that this photo is probable the greatest pic in the history of F1.

#77 mickj

mickj

• 142 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:02

36 years. I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news.

I have my grandson beside me. His name is James Clark Crocker. I have a few tears as I type.
RIP.

#78 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:09

Originally posted by mickj
36 years. I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard the news.

Me too - balling my 9 and 3 quarter eyes out.

#79 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,252 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:10

Lost, yet remembered, forever...

Advertisement

#80 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,307 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:45

The Best...

#81 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,022 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:53

I woke up to hear the 6-00am news on ABC radio 2BL,Monday morning our time i just could not believe it.Having spent the hole of February following the Tasman Series from Surfers- The Farmand Sandown races and Jimmy won them all .A :( day in motor sport History. My first time atHockenheim i visited the site very moving indeed .

#82 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:27

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

(Yesterday I heard this great old Irish song again,
and even if Jimmy was in fact from Scotland,
it remembered me that he died 7 april 1968, 36 years ago)

Paul Hooft

#83 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,077 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:56

I was only 5 days old when this tragedy occured. But through the years I have read, seen and heared so much about him, that I regard him too as an all time great. A character and talent that can no longer exist in what we call F1 nowadays.

Going to Hockenheim for the GP in the ninetees gave F1 excitement of the day but also a sentimental feel that F1 great Clark had his last outing there. The dark and gloomy forrest (even on a hot summer day) seem to hide something.

I have and will enjoy(ed) many anecdotes and pictures of this True Champion of Champions.

#84 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,138 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:46

Originally posted by Mac Lark
Always hits me - every year.

Me too, and it doesn't get any better as years go by. Afraid I try to be hard and not to think about it too much. I never knew Jim but if I dwell on this too much it gets to me in the same way as when I think about my father, who is also no longer here.

#85 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:17

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury

Posted Image

Yes a super picture, and quite a rare one. It is the first I can recall seeing that reveals the inner toughness usually hidden so well...

PdeRL

#86 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:19

Originally posted by Wolf
It seems there are some problems with Marc's splendid photo (it doesn't load, must be missing from that site). I hope noone will mind if I upload it to my webspace and repost it here...

Posted Image

Thanks Wolf, the picture would not open on my computer either.

A lovely shot and one which poignantly illustrates the point of my previous posting.

PdeRL

#87 Marc

Marc

• 87 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:59

Monza, 10 september 1967, A great race ...

Posted Image

#88 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:40

Rest In Peace Jim

Pride of the Borders and the best of all time.

#89 HEROS

HEROS

• 236 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 13:15

Hello to all,

There was Fangio, there is Schumacher but Jim Clark was also one of the greatest.

We will never forget you.

:(

#90 SEdward

SEdward

• 832 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 14:03

I had never seen that picture of Jim Clark with the little girl. It is really very touching.

Was that the very last picture? Are there any others from that day? I have seen a picture of Clark on the starting grid alongside Chris Amon, presumably on the same day. Can anyone out there claim to have the very last picture?

A giant amongst pygmies. I like that...

Edward.

#91 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 14:37

I remeber very well the moment I got interested in car racing. There was a magazine in an amongst the others on the rack at the local drug store named 'Road and Track' that had this painting of a car painted BRG with a yellow stripe. It looked so cool to a 9 year old. Spent most of my weekly allowance to get it. Granted it was about the other modern english invasion, not the Beatles, but Lotus at Indy, but it did start me off on my addiction to F1 scene.
Jim Clark was my first real youthful hero. Odd choice for a kid from Seattle. His death seemed so fruitless. I have since watched F1 change from what it was then to the big business it is today and must confess to wish it could return to the simpler days of that era.

#92 Mawerick

Mawerick

• 79 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 14:55

I was born over 9 years after Jimmy's passing, but from everything I've read and heard about him, makes me think he was truly something special. The greatest ever. Not only as a driver, but as a person too.

May he forever be victorious on the great race track up above. :cry:

#93 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 866 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 18:20

I too find this an extremely difficult day every year.

David

#94 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 20:51

My Mini had broken its fan belt on April 6th on a drive around the Potteries.

I was replacing it in the College car park when a friend yelled some news at me from the window of our work room.....

As many have said - a moment that will never be forgotten.

I can only agree with others who have said that this day never gets any easier to bear.

#95 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 655 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 21:30

In my very humble opinion, I believe that the sentiments and emotions shared in this thread after 36 years speaks volumes about a singular hero to many.

During my visit to Jim Clark's grave several years ago, I will confess that I was quite overcome with emotion and sadness. Given the weather in the Borders that bleak day, I doubt that my tears were noticed by many as I walked away.

Let us all hoist a dram in memory of Jim.

R.I.P. Jim

#96 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,880 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 21:32

Isn't it funny...absolutely NO-ONE has a bad word to say about Jim Clark. Who had his occupation on his tombstone listed as farmer.

Doesn't that say something about the man?

There were Giants on the earth in those days.

Greatest of all time. No question in my mind.

#97 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,769 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 22:01

Hear, hear!!! I forgot to mention that fact in my earlier post.

#98 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 22:21

No arguments here. I was in VN and remember the day well. It felt as if someone had kicked me in the gut -- awfully hard.

I know that a number of us here had the good fortune to meet Jim face to face. I don't know if that experience means we miss him more keenly or not.

A really class act who to this day stands head and shoulders above the rest.

#99 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 00:37

Originally posted by ensign14
Isn't it funny...absolutely NO-ONE has a bad word to say about Jim Clark. Who had his occupation on his tombstone listed as farmer.

Doesn't that say something about the man?

There were Giants on the earth in those days.

I visited Jimmys grave last September after apparantly setting a record for spending the longest time in the Jim Clark Room in a single visit.

I spent ages finding it but was determined to not give up.

I was vastly impressed by the modesty of the tombstone - it kind of said so much about the man, but perhaps also Scottish people.

It was a real Jim Clark day for me last Sept.20.

The Jim Clark Room at opening time, the IS-W designed clock tower, the art-deco local school, the graveyard, then up to Loretto and finally, the long drive up to Kilmany.

I thoroughly recommend it all.

Advertisement

#100 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 925 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:34

There's clip at British Pathe site on this race featuring Clark's race preparations and race start. Enter "Hockenheim" in search window.