Photo

V. Horák (CS)? September 20 or 21, 1929?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 06:29

According to information in AZ-Motorwelt #29 of Sep 28, 1929, the young Prague driver V. Horák fatally crashed his Bugatti T35B (formerly Cenek Junek's car) during practice for the Ecce Homo Climb. Practice took place on Friday and Saturday, September 20 and 21, 1929.

I would like to find out the date of his crash, the date of his death and Horák’s first name, which I thought was Vladimir but cannot verify this.

According to the incomplete report in AZ-Motorwelt, Horák crashed into the turning around motorcycle driver Müller from Sternberg just a short distance past the finish line. The sad fate of Müller would be of great interest as well as more details about this crash.

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 07:11

I have him as Vaclav
Can't help with the date though

#3 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 10:52

Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
The sad fate of Müller would be of great interest

Many believe he was cheated out of being 1939 AIACR European Champion...

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 12:05

Originally posted by fines

Many believe he was cheated out of being 1939 AIACR European Champion...

:lol: :p :rolleyes:

#5 IMV

IMV

• 110 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 12:38

http://www.eccehomo.cz/me.php#

Click on Historie and choose the year - they are talking about Jaroslav Horak and in pictures you can also find crashed Horak´s car. I talked with them and they don´t have any details...

#6 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 16:59

IMV - thanks for the Ecce Homo link.

For the time being, I will have to accept 'Vaclav' (thank you - David) as the correct first name, which corresponds with the brief 'Vl'., given in AZ-Motorwelt results for the Pürglitz hill climb in Prague on July 21?, 1929, won by 'Vl. Horák (Bugatti).

I just found a very brief accident reference in ALLGEMEINE AUTOMOBIL ZEITUNG (WIEN) #19, p59, stating that both drivers died in the crash. The ill-fated motorcycle driver Müller was not identical with HP Müller who incidentally started his racing career in 1929 racing bikes, but only in minor German events. Ten years later he was to become the uncrowned European Automobile Champion, equivalent with the present World Champion title, to be won for a sixth time this year by M.S. ;)

#7 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 19:35

In his book of "Archives d'une passion" (Maeght Editeur, 1997), Antoine Raffaëlli devoted the page 172 to the story of the Bugatti 35B 4868, including 3 pictures. The first one shows the car at the Nurburgring, 15 July 1928, driven by Mister Junek. The second picture was taken after the crash, on lap 9. The cars was not very damaged (according this picture).

Third picture shows a very damaged car, overturned. The caption says: The crahs of Horak, Ecce Homo, 21 September 1929.

Interesting thing in picture 1: it is clear that Mister Junek had a passenger (it was a sportscars race). I've read once - A Swiss source, if I remember well - that it was Elisabeth. Can anyone confirm or invalidate this ?

#8 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 04:11

The German GP for sports cars on July 15, 1928 went over 18 laps. The field was divided into three groups, which were started in two minutes intervals. Cenek Junek started in group II (1.5 to 3-liter) and was leading his group at the start.

However, after the first lap he found himself in 4th place (in his group) behind Chiron, Brilli-Peri and Heusser, all in Bugattis. According to a lap chart in MOTOR UND SPORT, Junek’s car had fallen to 11th place by lap 2 (pit stop?), on lap 3 in 10th place, lap 4 in 8th place and lap 5 in 7th place. The driver from the early pit stop until the second stop on lap 5 must have been Elizabeth Junek, because Cenek Junek took over from his wife Elisabeth on lap 5, according to the report.

While passing another car on lap 5 at Breitscheid, Junek's Bugatti was carried over the embankment and overturned. Cenek Junek was recovered from underneath the car with a broken neck, while the co-driver received only slight injuries. Elisabeth probably received the shocking news while in the pits. Out of respect and a sign of mourning, the other Czech drivers in this event, driving in group III, Dr. Ottokar Bittmann and Hugo Urban-Emmerich, pulled their cars out of the race on lap 7 and 8 respectively.

#9 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:29

Vladimir Horak, a Prague whole-salesman, crashed seriously in Czechoslovakia with his Bugatti T35B on September 21, 1929 during Saturday afternoon practice for the Ecce Homo hill climb on Sunday.  Motorcycle rider Mueller was immediately dead, Horak was seriously injured and died later while his riding mechanic Froehlich survived.

I was finally able to put a longer report together about this accident but my copy/past function cannot transfer data to this site  :mad:  and typing it all again is not for me.  :cool:

#10 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:38

Good job, Hans! :up:

As for the copy/past problem, I have that, too! One of the many things the proprietors of this site should have a look into, but can't be bothered. No wonder then that many of us can't be bothered to put up with this BS, but I digress.

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:47

Have you tried the light switch icon at the top left of the reply box? This turns WYSIWYG on and off. With it off, you might then be able to post links, photos, text etc. I know that this has worked for quite a few people who were having problems.

#12 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,125 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 16:26

Thanks, Tim - it actually worked, although on further "experimentation" the programme suddenly crashed!! :clap:  :rolleyes:  :mad: . Hm. It is what it is, I suppose.

Edited by Michael Ferner, 14 July 2014 - 16:27.