Announcing: Private Messaging

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 14 June 2000 - 13:56

Hi all,

I'm glad to announce that we now have Private Messaging on this Bulletin Board.

You can find it on the front page of the Bulletin Board (and I will soon add it to the scrolldown list of the forums and an icon in the posts, profiles and on the memberslist).

The PM hack includes:

* Sending/receiving PMs to/from other registered members
* Viewing of sent/received messages (inbox and outbox)
* Deleting of unwanted messages
* Ignore List of users you do not want to receive messages from.

Note that the PM box is entirely private and no other user but yourself can see the messages there.

Enjoy,

Bira

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 14 June 2000 - 21:57

I can ignore Art's abusive emails... when he comes back... goody!

#3 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:30

dID IT GET GET HIJACKED THE OTHER DAY? i HAD A NOTE TO SAY i HAD A MSG BUT WHEN i GOT THERE NOTHING AWAITED ME.

#4 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:41

dID IT GET GET HIJACKED THE OTHER DAY? i HAD A NOTE TO SAY i HAD A MSG BUT WHEN i GOT THERE NOTHING AWAITED ME.

Yep, any PM message put up can be read by the chosen few.

"Been there, done that." But, perhaps that is not all bad.

Henry :wave:

#5 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 23:43

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=110732

#6 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,574 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:34

It told me I had 3 new messages but in fact they were messages I had previously recieved and read.

:wave:

#7 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 16:16

It told me I had 3 new messages but in fact they were messages I had previously recieved and read.

:wave:

I had the same thing happen .

#8 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,359 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 16:18

I had the same thing happen .

I received a message from a Lady who were interested in sending me pictures of herself, all I had to do was write her directly on her e-mail.

Chose not to, maybe I should have.

:cool:

Edit since I see Miss Judith did in fact cast a wider net.

Edited by KWSN - DSM, 16 June 2009 - 16:19.

#9 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 16:22

I received a message from a Lady who were interested in sending me pictures of herself, all I had to do was write her directly on her e-mail.

Chose not to, maybe I should have.

:cool:

Edit since I see Miss Judith did in fact cast a wider net.

We need to set her up with Buford .

#10 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 16:23

:lol:

#11 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 18:26

I got it too lol but didn't respond because I figured it was spam.

#12 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 12,925 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 18:48

I got it too lol but didn't respond because I figured it was spam.

Really?

#13 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 18:57

Really?

Lol well it is not uncommon for women from all over the world to contact me for my... ummm .... services, so one has to weed out the occasional non-serious you know. First time I got one of those through this forum.

#14 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 20:18

Lol well it is not uncommon for women from all over the world to contact me for my... ummm .... services, so one has to weed out the occasional non-serious you know. First time I got one of those through this forum.

In your dreams :lol:

#15 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 23:54

A Buford story is like a Kevin Olson story , Never doubt it .

#16 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 17:37

Hi all,

You can find it on the front page of the Bulletin Board (and I will soon add it to the scrolldown list of the forums and an icon in the posts, profiles and on the memberslist).

The PM hack includes:

Note that the PM box is entirely private and no other user but yourself can see the messages there.

Enjoy,

Bira

Pardon me, but I have not the faintest idea what you are trying to tell me here. What happened to the old way of sending/receiving PMs. Perhaps I'm just looking past the obvious here...?

#17 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 17:48

Check the date on the post you quoted. ;)

#18 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 18:00

Check the date on the post you quoted.;)

Thanks, Tim

I knew I was missing something obvious...! Stupidity rules, OK. :blush:

Edited by Hieronymus, 17 June 2009 - 18:02.

#19 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 18:12

Thanks, Tim

Don't worry, Marius, I was confused at first too. The new forum software does show post dates in a very small type size.

Advertisement

#20 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 21:29

Hi all,

The PM hack includes:

Enjoy,

Bira

I have been told by several people that Private Messages are, depsite what it says here, monitored by the moderators. If this is really so, I think we have a right to know.

#21 DJH

DJH

• 228 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 22:01

That's great, but, how about addressing the ridiculous image posting situation.........John

#22 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 22:32

I have been told by several people that Private Messages are, depsite what it says here, monitored by the moderators. If this is really so, I think we have a right to know.

Not that I know :confused:

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 23:07

I have also been told this...

So the question is probably better phrased, "Does anyone have access to or at any time read the PMs?"

#24 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 00:04

I would have thought that no mod would have the time or inclination to read PM's....and that hasn't taken account of normal privacy rules.
I doubt whether anyone has anything 'that' interesting in a pm that should have been sent via private e.mail instead..and if they did...well D'oh!!

#25 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:47

Being a newbie here, I still remember reading in the registration process something like, "be aware that private messages are monitored, so do not insult etc. blah balh balh"

Also, "Note that the PM box is entirely private and no other user but yourself can see the messages there. "

No other user - get it?

#26 matey

matey

• 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:19

, "be aware that private messages are monitored, so do not insult etc. blah balh balh"

So if she or TW does monitor them, why don't they admit it?
Curious.......

#27 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:29

Being a newbie here, I still remember reading in the registration process something like, "be aware that private messages are monitored, so do not insult etc. blah balh balh"

Also, "Note that the PM box is entirely private and no other user but yourself can see the messages there. "

No other user - get it?

I thoroughly dislike paranoids.

This is what the BB rules, which you get in the registration process, state:

The Bulletin Board offers a Private Messaging service as well as an e-mail form to contact other members. These tools are aimed at allowing members to communicate in private. However, you may not use the Private Messaging service or e-mail members via the Bulletin Board for the purpose of attacking, soliticting, promoting or any other form of unsolicited communication. Be aware that should we receive complaints about such behaviour you may be banned from the Bulletin Board altogether.

"Receive complaints", not "we monitor your boring blah blah messages".

Personally, I'd rather kill myself slowly and painfully than have to read PMs, and I doubt there's any monitoring tool for such a chore anyway.

#28 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:34

I use PM'S for strictly bona fide purposes where I have a question that might divert the thread or is O/T, or where personal contact details that are not required to be broadcast generally are given or requested.
I'm certain that the PM's are able to be accessed by the Moderators, but unless they use information for personal gain or advantage (and I'm fairly confident of their integrity), then I can't really see that it matters. As they miss loads of stuff on the forum anyway, I can't see them bothering with trawling through PMs

#29 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,772 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:36

Thanks Bira. :wave:
That is just how I thought it would be.

So can all the paranoid people please return to the Paddock Club.

#30 Ginga

Ginga
  • Former publishing manager

• 121 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:48

Bira is absolutely correct in her assertion that there is no monitoring tool for mods to read PM's.

So we CAN NOT and DO NOT read other people's PM's. And even if we could, I'd be right behind Bira in the slow-and-painful-death queue (as would most of the others I guess!)

Cheers
David

#31 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:53

I must admit though to being slightly unnerved earlier in the summer when after a a spate of private messaging one evening, I awoke to find this vehicle parked outside my house the following morning!!!! :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2009-07-10

#32 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:09

Bira is absolutely correct in her assertion that there is no monitoring tool for mods to read PM's.

So we CAN NOT and DO NOT read other people's PM's. And even if we could, I'd be right behind Bira in the slow-and-painful-death queue (as would most of the others I guess!)

Cheers
David

It is completely possible. If you had a tool such as mysqladmin installed you could connect to the database and read the tables manually. As far as I'm aware, bulletin board software does not encrypt PMs.

#33 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:02

I must admit though to being slightly unnerved earlier in the summer when after a a spate of private messaging one evening, I awoke to find this vehicle parked outside my house the following morning!!!! :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138, shot with EX-M2 at 2009-07-10

Looking at the broken tow rope hanging off the front I wonder how long it stayed.

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:14

Looking at the broken tow rope hanging off the front I wonder how long it stayed.

It's interesting that you should mention that Red Socks. It is a tradition in the Middle East to dangle a piece of black cloth from beneath your vehicle to ward off evil spirits.
Whilst this pic was taken in Birmingham, I believe Bira's roots to be in the Middle East, and I spent 20 years out there, including time in the occupied territories........ :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138

Giraffe in Jericho, September 1988, whilst under Israeli rule. (Accessory by Winchester/Pump Action).

Edited by Giraffe, 27 August 2009 - 11:28.

#35 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:38

[quote name='Roger Clark' date='Aug 26 2009, 22:29' post='3816262']
I have been told by several people that Private Messages are monitored by the moderators.../quote]

But how do these "several people" know as opposed to suspecting, or just wondering "if".?
I am more concerned that pictures are repeated as part of a reply when the original posted element is quoted. It is such a waste of file space.
Roger Lund

#36 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:42

I am more concerned that pictures are repeated as part of a reply when the original posted element is quoted. It is such a waste of file space.
Roger Lund

I agree, and being 'tidy' by nature, I usually delete the links from the quoted part of my reply.

#37 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:44

It is completely possible. If you had a tool such as mysqladmin installed you could connect to the database and read the tables manually. As far as I'm aware, bulletin board software does not encrypt PMs.

And you seriously believe any moderator would get direct access to the database via mysqladmin or any other way??? :eek:

Roger Lund

Though I too find it annoying - due to scrolling excess - it does NOT redownload, you know. The browser only downloads the same image once. You can display the same image several times on the same page - but it will only be downloaded once.

#38 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:08

Sorry for appearing to be paranoid, and for not remembering the registration text correctly!

I don't come here to attack, solicit, promote or anything, so I didn't think anything special about that paragraph. I just thought it was perfectly normal, and wanted to convey that thought here. I'm not looking for trouble. Apologies once more, I'll now retreat.

#39 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:25

In all seriousness, I do find PM'ing a very useful tool. For example completed today, I've just finished correspondence with a member regarding the configuration of Jaguar XJS wipers, and was glad to answer his question. We met via TNF, but it would be an inappropriate subject to introduce in a thread, and it was the only method by which he could contact me. I reckon much more good than bad is done via this facility, for which I am very grateful! :up:

Advertisement

#40 matey

matey

• 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 13:06

Good to get an assurance from someone in authority at TNF who we can believe. Thank you.

#41 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 14:15

And you seriously believe any moderator would get direct access to the database via mysqladmin or any other way??? :eek:

I doubt it, but I was just making the point that complete privacy is not always possible.

#42 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 16:30

I'm certain that the PM's are able to be accessed by the Moderators, but unless they use information for personal gain or advantage (and I'm fairly confident of their integrity), then I can't really see that it matters.

Of course it matters and I'm amazed to think that any sensible person would think it doesn't. I am, however, very pleased to have Bira's and Ginga's assurance that monitoring of PMs and emails doesn't happen.

Edited by Roger Clark, 27 August 2009 - 17:08.