Photo

Help Needed Identifying Some Accidents: Warning some of these incidents may be fatal.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 23:57

Hello everyone.

I apologise for the graphic intense nature of this post, but I was wondering if you good people could identify some of these incidents for me. These images have been kicking around on my HardDisk for a long while now, with generic number filenames that give no clue as to their nature. It's been so long that I can't remember where I got them either.

Some of these accidents look very nasty indeed. I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on to whom, in what, where and when these incidents occured, and of course any information on background and the results of the accidents would be greatly appreciated.

1. A sequence of three photographs depicting a very severe impact. Perhaps a Can-Am car?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. A firey accident in what looks like a 70's/80's Single seater, background looks like an oval. Indy accident perhaps?

Posted Image

3. A horrible looking wreck, from what is most likely a 1950's Sports Car race I would think.

Posted Image

4. A very confusing photo I think. The car has evidently come down through the catch fence near the camera.

Posted Image

5. A terrifying firey accident, looks very much like an early 70's BRM but obviously isn't. THis may have taken some spectators with it :( .

Posted Image

Thanks very much for your patience. I thought if anyone could help identify these it would be you guys.

Advertisement

#2 bobbo

bobbo

• 841 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 00:32

:( :(

#4: Is this Carel de Beaufort's fatal accident at the 'Ring in 1964? Or Ben Pon's accident that caused him to retire from F1?

It looks sadly familiar . . .

Bobbo

#3 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 00:34

#2 is the conclusion of Tom Sneva's barrel-roll in Turn 2 at Indy in 1975.

#4 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 00:41

Number 1 is Alan Newton in an Elfin MS7 at Calder, Australia (in 1984 or 85 I think). His throttle stuck on the back straight and crashed at the esses, he was injured but survived and the car was rebuilt.

Number 4 is Carel De Beufort's Porsche after his fatal crash at the Ring in 1964.

Number 5 is Sam Posey and Ron Courtney at Riverside in 1969, Rons car spun and stopped in the middle of the track and Sam arrived his Eagle without brakes! Both survived.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 00:51

3 is at Le Mans, not as bad as it looks, IIRC...

The car was hit once again after it had come to rest... either broken down or in a crash. There's a pic in one of the Stirling Moss books that tells who it is. Again, IIRC.

#6 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 01:57

Originally posted by Catalina Park

Number 5 is Sam Posey and Ron Courtney at Riverside in 1969, Rons car spun and stopped in the middle of the track and Sam arrived his Eagle without brakes! Both survived.

But Courtney was severely burned.

#7 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:39

I was there when Alan Newton in the Elfin MS7 crashed and it was the most frightening accident I have ever seen.

The car was absolutely flat out with the jammed throttle (and no kill switch) at the end of the straight so must have hit the Armco at an amazing speed and made an enormous loud noise. I was not expecting him to live, but he was lucky the Armco gave way. I would hate to think what would have happened if he had of hit the concrete fence that is now there...

The car hit a ditch, so would have flown over any modern sand trap as it was in the air for 100's of metres.

K&A Engineering built a replacement chassis for it and handled the rebuild.

Chris.
www.MotorsportArchive.com

#8 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:29

I think #3 is the remains of the Meyrat/Tavano Ferrari 500TR at Le Mans in 1956. That looks very much like Hawthorn's hat in the Jaguar that's passing ... he appears to be looking at the wreck, not the road, too.

#9 jm70

jm70

• 143 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:42

#5 Is the Posey incident. I was the observer on the corner that day. The man in the black sweater and straw hat is Dave Carlson. Now an attorney in the LA area. After that mess was over, the black sweater was gone, we thought burnt off. Cal Club replaced the sweater.
Note: I think it was less than an hour after this incident that Sam's Mom bought him a replacement car in the garage.

#10 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:58

Wow, only a few hours and youv'e nailed four out of five.

Just number 3 that remains a bit of a mystery. Vitesse is the only one to put a name to it, can anyone do a confirmation? Your also right about the Hawthorn thing Vitesse, I hadn't noticed the helmet before.

#11 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:09

Process of elimination really - it's a D-type in the background, which dates it to about 1953-58, especially if we assume it's Hawthorn. The number on the wrecked car appears to be 21, with that peculiarly French 2 with a joined top which makes it look vaguely like a 9. The only #21 which crashed in that period was Meyrat in 1956 and the Motor Sport report mentions that the car was left on the side of the road after spinning. Add Ray's info that something else hit it .... QED!

#12 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 160 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 22:05

Spot on

http://www.ferrarigu...html&lang=en-us

(See 'The car in our ads')

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 22:24

:)

"Merde alors", comme on dit en France!

Posted Image

#14 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 05:52

I was there at Calder when the incident you list happened. It was frightening indeed. I would have been about 15 at the time.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,260 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 11:06

From what I saw on the television news that night, I'd say it was one of those crashes that would have given me nightmares...

Alan was very enthusiastic, but not a terribly crash hot driver.