Photo

The naming of Knicker Brook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 22:45

I often wondered about the naming of "Knicker Brook" at Oulton Park until my parents gave me a copy of an LP by one "Blaster Bates", explosives expert/raconteur/dare devil motor cyclist.

In this LP he describes a situation where he had to blow up a line of tree roots on a hillside above where the new racing circuit was being built at Oulton Park. After he has placed ("inserted" in his terminology) all the explosives, one of the bystanders looks across the valley and notices a couple in the grass "All you could see was his bottom and her knees!" he said, "And I believe he was on the short strokes!" Apparently a pair of Polish refugees from a nearby camp engaged in a diplomatic struggle.

Well, the explosives start to go off with a bloody great bang! She leaps up, hurls him off, grabs her knickers and tries to put them on:- She's standing on a hillside with her knickers half on when the other explosives go off! She gets both legs down one knicker leg, trips arse over tea kettle and rolls down the hill into the stream (brook)!

My question is: were any of you lot there to confirm this?

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 22:46

Originally posted by David Birchall
I often wondered about the naming of "Knicker Brook" at Oulton Park until my parents gave me a copy of an LP by one "Blaster Bates", explosives expert/raconteur/dare devil motor cyclist.

My question is: were any of you lot there to confirm this?

No but it gives me an excuse to dig my Blaster CDs out again ;)

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:35

Sadly Derek "Blaster" Bates died earlier in September. Another piece of history gone. His obit is in today's Telegraph

http://www.telegraph...9/21/db2102.xml

A very entertaining man, who did a lot of worthwhile stuff fopr disabled children

RIP

Roger Lund.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:42

Dear me, has anybody got any good news... :(

RIP Blaster.