Photo

Does anybody know about William Court (the author of 'Power & Glory')?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,890 posts

Posted 08 July 2003 - 08:15

Hi everyone,

Is there anybody out ther who knows if William Court, the writer of the two books entitled `Power & Glory `and `Grand Prix Requiem` is still alive nowadays and how he is doing.
I have been in touch with him in the past but wonder if he is still alive, Haven't heard from him for ages anymore.
Anybody who knows more about him?

thanks,

Henri Greuter

Advertisement

#2 PRD

PRD

• 506 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 16:26

You could try contacting Chaters booksellers www.chaters.co.uk as they may well know his whereabouts.
They were certainly in contact with him a few years ago, but I should think that he will be in his 80's by now
Paul

#3 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 09 July 2003 - 18:57

Court and I corresponded briefly about four or five years ago. He told me he was working on a book with the working title of The Quick and the Dead. Seems to me I've read since that a project he was working on was about to come out. Friendly and modest would be the two adjectives I would use when describing Mr. Court.

#4 RJH

RJH

• 46 posts

Posted 13 July 2003 - 15:12

William 'Bill' Court was my solicitor till he retired. I still see him pottering around Folkestone and Hythe on the Kent Coast.

#5 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,890 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:37

Thanks everyone.

I'll give it a try to reach him shortly another time.

Henri Greuter

#6 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:23

Court and I corresponded briefly about four or five years ago. He told me he was working on a book with the working title of The Quick and the Dead. Seems to me I've read since that a project he was working on was about to come out. Friendly and modest would be the two adjectives I would use when describing Mr. Court.

I was just wondering if anyone had an update on his 'The Quick and the Dead'?

#7 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,725 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 17:48

I was just wondering if anyone had an update on his 'The Quick and the Dead'?

I wonder if it was the book published as Grand Prix Requiem ?

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 18:06

I doubt it - Grand Prix Requiem was published in 1992, which is well before the date Ralliart said Court was working on The Quick and the Dead - unless this was to be a revised or expanded version of the earlier book.

#9 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:05

I doubt it - Grand Prix Requiem was published in 1992, which is well before the date Ralliart said Court was working on The Quick and the Dead - unless this was to be a revised or expanded version of the earlier book.

Power and Glory part one is still one of my most favourite books!

Edited by paulhooft, 06 February 2011 - 13:05.

#10 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 13:35

Power and Glory part one is still one of my most favourite books!

I have never read it, would love to but looking around online the copies cost a fortune, does anyone have any idea if they will be republished at a more reasonable price or a bookseller that sells it at an affordable price?

#11 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 14:00

I have never read it, would love to but looking around online the copies cost a fortune, does anyone have any idea if they will be republished at a more reasonable price or a bookseller that sells it at an affordable price?

P&G Vol 1 was reprinted in facsimile by Patrick Stephens in 1988. That sould be less expensive on the s/h market than the original Macdonald verssion of 1966 and is of acceptable quality, although the photos are probably not quite as sharp.

#12 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:20

P&G Vol 1 was reprinted in facsimile by Patrick Stephens in 1988. That sould be less expensive on the s/h market than the original Macdonald verssion of 1966 and is of acceptable quality, although the photos are probably not quite as sharp.

Thanks Allan, I appreciate that!

Regards