Photo

Who's Menotti Ferro?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Reinhard Windeler

Reinhard Windeler

• 49 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 20:14

In 1994 - and only that year - the "Anniversaries" section of AUTOSPORT comprised the following item for August 11: "Menotti Ferro (b 1888)".

Does anyone of the TNFers know who this man was?

He should have been connected to motor racing in some way, shouldn't he? But I have no idea (nor has "Google").

Advertisement

#2 Reinhard Windeler

Reinhard Windeler

• 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 07:15

ANYBODY OUT THERE? ):

Possible explanations for getting no replies:
  • All TNFers who could lend a helping hand are on vacation. :(
  • TNF is bored of being abused as an answering machine. :down:
  • Whoever Menotti Ferro was he certainly wasn't a leading light. So, who cares? :mad:
  • This is mistaken for a question from a Russian quiz. :lol:
  • For once the TNFers are out of their depth.;)
  • AUTOSPORT got it completely wrong because Menotti Ferro was an unsuccessful early soccer player... or an accountant... or a pizza baker... or... :o

#3 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:14

Tony (probably Antonio in Italy) Ferro was mechanic for Louis Wagner in the Fiat no. 16, GP of America Savannah, November 1910. Possible that he was born in 1888.
No idea if there is a connection to Menotti Ferro.

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 09:36

Menotti doesn't sound like a first name to me...

Other than that, no idea! :(

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,437 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:01

Originally posted by Reinhard Windeler
ANYBODY OUT THERE? ):

Possible explanations for getting no replies:

AUTOSPORT got it completely wrong because Menotti Ferro was an unsuccessful early soccer player... or an accountant... or a pizza baker... or... :o

My vote.

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,284 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:16

My guess is that it's some sort of sub-editors' in-joke like Monk Wally de Honk.

I've tried anagrams, but can't find anything. A pun perhaps? "Me no" or "me not" something ....

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,059 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 19:41

Me naughty fellow (with a far eastern accent) ?

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 20:52

And does the 1888 have any significance?

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,284 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 21:10

Originally posted by Ray Bell
And does the 1888 have any significance?

Jack the Ripper? :eek:

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,992 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 21:25

I can see the joker who pulled this stunt (if indeed it is a stunt) laughing his head off at this thread...

#11 David T.

David T.

• 133 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:30

Originally posted by fines
Menotti doesn't sound like a first name to me...

Other than that, no idea! :(

Partially wrong. Especially in the past, there was the custom in Italy to give children the surname of national heroes (especially from the Risorgimento *) as a first name. Examples are many, but Menotti wasn't uncommon among those cases: Ciro Menotti (Migliarina 1798 - Modena 1831) was the organizer, with E. Misley, of a wide liberal conspiracy, that was initially backed by Francesco IV of Modena himself; he was arrested just before the insurrection and hanged on February 3rd 1831.

*NOT to mix up with Rinascimento (Renaissance)!

#12 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,888 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 08:58

Originally posted by D-Type
Me naughty fellow (with a far eastern accent) ?

:rotfl:

#13 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 10:25

I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a case of taking the p***, but what do you expect from a lads magazine?

A few years ago some of the jokers at Autosport made up fictitious Japanese names and inserted them into proper race reports. When you read them, as English, they made silly questions and answers!

Nobody minds a laugh and many years ago Autosport included spoof race reports, and around April 1st one needed to be on guard. These were obvious wind-ups but tampering with race results I thought was stupid. Luckily Continental magazines had the correct names.

I wonder how many such stunts have remained undetected?

Some joker supplied Janos Wimpffen of "Two Seats" fame with the names of Les Leston and Gerry Marshall in the pseudonym list. Amusing?

John

#14 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:20

In Italy we have a rare name, Mennato, wich could sound a bit like Menotti to a foreigner. Maybe the name got changed when translating ?

#15 robert dick

robert dick

• 936 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 11:43

"menottes" in French = handcuffs, so that Menotti Ferro = iron handcuffs in some Italian-French jargon.

#16 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 12:09

Originally posted by humphries
A few years ago some of the jokers at Autosport made up fictitious Japanese names and inserted them into proper race reports. When you read them, as English, they made silly questions and answers!

At one time results of world championship rallies printed in Motoring News always had a "funny" name in, IIRC, 11th place

#17 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 21:06

Originally posted by humphries

So Iwanalaya/Wenyapaimi did not race at Fuji all those years ago? :rolleyes:

#18 Reinhard Windeler

Reinhard Windeler

• 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 21:13

Nice to see this thread ultimately becoming animated.

I never considered "Menotti Ferro" could be a fake. But now I'm pretty sure it is. IMHO it is annoying to put a hoax on a place where readers believe they can trust the information.

If we only would get to the bottom of the joke. ): Where would "Iron Handcuffs" point to?

Is anyone able to check whether there's a real (historical) person (not necessarily from the world of motor racing) who was born on the alleged birth date, 11 August 1888?

PS. At least Ciro Menotti from this

Originally posted by David T.
Ciro Menotti (Migliarina 1798 - Modena 1831) was the organizer, with E. Misley, of a wide liberal conspiracy, that was initially backed by Francesco IV of Modena himself; he was arrested just before the insurrection and hanged on February 3rd 1831.

has a connection to motor racing: The site of the Maserati factory in Modena was on Viale Ciro Menotti...

#19 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,363 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 15:08

Mennato Boffa....

DCN

Advertisement

#20 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 07 October 2003 - 19:16

Doug

As you probably know Mennato Boffa raced as "Akmall Willy" and "Pacifico".

According to that "august" journal Autosport, Ferro was born in 1888. Boffa was born in 1930 in Benevento.

I suspect that the little tinker "Menotti Ferro" was born in 1988!!

John

#21 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 14:34

Maybe another contribution this week to Autosport's list of stupid jokes in the Anniversaries section? ... (unless you guys inform me otherwise).

November 28
Ivan Arias (b1972) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#22 provapr

provapr

• 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 14:59

Sorry no. Ivan Arias was a Formula Renault driver, iirc, in the mid-Nineties in England. He was Spanish (probably still is) and ran in a Marlboro-sponsored team alongside Angel Burgueno. Please don't trust that spelling...

#23 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,363 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 15:55

Was he the one with a McCluggagesque polka dot helmet? Funny, never noticed the double entendre before...

#24 provapr

provapr

• 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 16:10

Yes, you're right Ensign!!! And I've just remembered the name of their other team mate - Pedro de la Rosa....

#25 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 17:36

I stand corrcted.. :blush:
Not rememberig the name I did 'google' it and got over 30,000 hits, but the first 10 pages gave nothing to do with motorsport.

Running another search with 'Ivan Arias Renault' brings the results you mention. An apology to Autosport, and a .. thanks guys.
Rob

#26 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,242 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 14:00

According to the books "70 anni di automobilismo in Italia" and "Albo della Gloria" by Emanuele Carli, Menotti Ferro was a racing driver who was killed in an accident during practice near Turin, on 20 October 1913. It is uncertain what car, what place of death. He was born in 1888.

Menotti was also the name of the elder son of Giuseppe Garibaldi, the greatest Italian hero of the Risorgimento. Menotti Garibaldi was a lieutenent of his father. Probably Garibaldi named his first son in honour to Ciro Menotti.

#27 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 14:30

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich
Probably Garibaldi named his first son in honour to Ciro Menotti.

That's indeed the case: http://digilander.li...eade/nipoti.htm

#28 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,377 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 17:54

Originally posted by Nanni Dietrich
Menotti Ferro was a racing driver who was killed in an accident during practice near Turin, on 20 October 1913. He was born in 1888.

:up: :clap: :up: :clap: :up:
Nanni, I'm almost speechless.
Thanks for solving this riddle!
Who would've thought that this name was no hoax but belongs to a real person (although with a sad fate :( ).

#29 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,242 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 14:36

Menotti Ferro's date of death is 12 October 1913 (not 20 October as E. Carli's book inticates).
Source: newspaper "La Stampa" (Turin, Italy) issue of 12 October 1913. It happened along a street in the town of Turin, Ferro was testing a Fiat when a rear tyre blew and the car overturned. He died a few minutes later.