Photo

1962 Le Mans film/photos

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 18:51

I know this is the Atlas F1 Nostalgia forum, but there have been a few Le Mans related posts lately, so I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. I am keen to track down any cine/video footage of the 1962 Le Mans 24 hour race. The various publicity films issued by Jaguar, Aston Martin, Triumph, etc provide a complete run from 1954 to 1964 except for 1962 and I have not been able to find anything for that year. As I currently own a car which raced there that year (and that year only), I am particularly keen to track down anything that may be available.

Equally, any suggestions for sources of still pictures would be welcome – I have exhausted the supplies (and probably the patience) of LAT, Washington, GPL, Ferret and Museum of British Road Transport and a few others as well, but there must be others that you TNFers could suggest!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 calo

calo

• 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 19:01

Originally posted by jph
I know this is the Atlas F1 Nostalgia forum, but there have been a few Le Mans related posts lately, so I thought I would jump on the bandwagon. I am keen to track down any cine/video footage of the 1962 Le Mans 24 hour race. The various publicity films issued by Jaguar, Aston Martin, Triumph, etc provide a complete run from 1954 to 1964 except for 1962 and I have not been able to find anything for that year. As I currently own a car which raced there that year (and that year only), I am particularly keen to track down anything that may be available.

Equally, any suggestions for sources of still pictures would be welcome – I have exhausted the supplies (and probably the patience) of LAT, Washington, GPL, Ferret and Museum of British Road Transport and a few others as well, but there must be others that you TNFers could suggest!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

JPh:

www.motorracingretro.com ( le Mans 1962)

#3 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 19:08

Did someone hi-jack that domain? I get a Web service page.

#4 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 20:15

Did someone hi-jack that domain? I get a Web service page.

Yes, it seems to have disappeared within the last couple of weeks. Let's hope it's only temporary, there's some useful material there. Unfortunately nothing of 'my' car on their 1962 Le Mans page however!

#5 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• 287 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 20:39

British Pathe

Try this.

#6 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 21:10

British Pathe

Try this.

Thanks. Only a short B&W clip of 1962, but looks like there's a lot of other footage there, particularly of '63.

#7 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 22:13

It seems some of it is still here, but 1962 is one of the years it missed. Unless I missed it.

The Wayback Machine

www.motorracingretro.com

#8 Lotus23

Lotus23

• 1,006 posts

Posted 21 September 2003 - 22:34

JPH, I worked on a team there that year, and have some amateur 35mm color slides of varying quality. No cine/video, however. What car is it you're interested in?

You can reply by PM if you'd prefer.

#9 popi

popi

• 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 17:03

Jph:

other site:http://www.ask.co.uk...Le Mans&s=1&p=0

bye.

#10 calo

calo

• 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 19:23

http://www.ask.co.uk

#11 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 18:59

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Not a lot I hadn't seen before via 'ask', but I hadn't realised what an amazing collection of material there is at British Pathe. The free downloads are of dubious quality, and they look expensive to buy, but the range of material is huge. Definitely worth a look.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

#12 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 14:42

Thanks to Bjorn Kjer's reference in the Le Mans 1957 - 1965 thread, I thought I would indulge myself by bumping this one after just over three years' dormancy. In addition to the British Pathe film, I found some (also B&W) stock on the Movietone website.

Given the lapse of time since this thread was active, I wonder whether any new readers might have any further ideas?

#13 cstlhn

cstlhn

• 199 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 15:26

I have both color and B&W stills of Jim McKay interviewing Phil Hill at LeMans in 1962. Jim McKay was a reporter for ABCs "Wide World of Sports". I would imagine that ABC still has footage from that interview and the race?
I did purchase footage of their coverage of the 1969 24 LeMans awhile back. Happy hunting,

David