Photo

Old advertisements

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 20:15

From MotorSport magazine, 1951, advertising Wade superchargers...

Posted Image

I'm sure there are endless entertaining ones out there :)

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 12 October 2003 - 22:09

Again from Motor Sport, the ad which launched the career of a two-time World Champion, Indy winner and Le Mans winner (enough clues? :p )

Posted Image

#3 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 08:01

Can only be Graham, don't forget the 5 wins at Monte Carlo.

If only those prices had stayed in line with the RPI ! Lovely to see these old ads .

#4 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:04

I dont think I have a copy , but one of my favourites was the perhaps 1930s photograph of a Real Craftsman At Work ( and loudly declaimed as such in the caption ) : a grimy overalled person actually standing on the bare block of an Austin 7 still in the car , wielding what looked like a posthole digger while inflicting serious boring or honing on the poor little thing.

#5 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 19:47

Originally posted by john medley
[B wielding what looked like a posthole digger while inflicting serious boring or honing on the poor little thing. [/B]

I believe such atrocities happened in Britain too..

Now..from my dad's programme for the 11th GrandPrix d'Europe., Silverstone 1950....

Posted Image

The BRM didn't actually race that day.....and I have never heard of Vigzol. I don't have the right book to check what lubricant was used when the BRM actually got underway. :

#6 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 20:53

Originally posted by David Beard
.....and I have never heard of Vigzol. I don't have the right book to check what lubricant was used when the BRM actually got underway. :

It doesn't answer your question, but check Lot 074 in this list:- http://www.classic-a...results/A52.htm

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 20:58

Originally posted by Geoff E

It doesn't answer your question, but check Lot 074 in this list:- http://www.classic-a...results/A52.htm

OOh yes. Well spotted!

#8 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 22:17

The BRM didn't actually race that day.....and I have never heard of Vigzol. I don't have the right book to check what lubricant was used when the BRM actually got underway. :

:wave:

Posted Image

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 22:35

So we're left wondering about what Vigzol is or was...

#10 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 22:50

Originally posted by Ray Bell
So we're left wondering about what Vigsol is or was...

It was definitely oil ....

I found a couple more references to it: in the Pitman Morris Minor Manual and a note about them having some sort of works in an old school in Greenwich, thanks to the Greenwich Industrial History Society

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 23:02

I was tempted to do a google search, but I thought it might have been better that the answer come from the product's homeland... bound to be more information there.

So I wonder why BRM either had anything to do with them, or alternatively why they changed to BP?

I would imagine money was an issue...

#12 buddyt

buddyt

• 161 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 23:06

While not dealing with motorsports.....in the old mags I always get a laugh out of the ads for

smokes that were endorsed by the medical community.......... :smoking: ......... I remember one

ad where it states, 7 out of 10 doctors recomend smoking "camels" over other brands. :eek:

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 23:26

ISo I wonder why BRM either had anything to do with them, or alternatively why they changed to BP?

I would imagine money was an issue...

I'd guess Vigzol were just one of the many companies which responded to Mays' appeal for money, supplies and/or help: in return they were presumably allowed to use the image and badge of BRM in their advertising, to associate themselves with this fine and successful British product :rolleyes:

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 23:34

I just went back to the cover David posted... and found I hadn't looked far enough down the page!

I don't see how BRM could allow any two companies claim to supply a product they were supposedly using in the cars. Could it be that BP came in after that abortive 1950 showing (as if they would...)?

And when did BRM align itself with Shell?

And there were days, buddyt, when advertising didn't have to reflect any form of truth...

#15 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:43

Perhaps it was Raymond Mays hair oil !

#16 Engineguy

Engineguy

• 989 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 18:51

One of my favorite all-time car ads... certainly the ballsiest :)

Posted Image

... and they were only exaggerating by a few dollars... $6054 vs. $3090.

Posted Image

from www.cosworthvega.com

#17 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 19:08

Vigzol also published a book:-

"TRACTORS. Farm Tractors. The History of their Development with notes on their proper maintenance. The Vigzol Oil Refining Co., [1946] £25
Sm.4to., pp.64; c.60 half-tone illustrations of different tractors both veteran & contemporary and a further sequence of maintenance half-tone & line illustrations; a good copy in original cloth-backed boards. A promotional publication which provides a fascinating survey of the range of tractors available at the end of the war."

Perhaps Vigzol strayed up to Lincolnshire in search of tractors.

#18 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 19:15

I bought a Cosworth Vega from someone in virtually brand new condition in 1978, perhaps only 8-10K on it. I recall that he hated it -- too many $$$ for too little performance and no reliability. I had had a "regular" 1974 Vega as a second or third car, but the thing was a pain enginewise after it got about 25-30K on it when it was about two, maybe three years old (and it was driven far less strenuously than the others in the driveway). But, getting a really pristine Cossy for a song was too good to pass up. However, I had an offer for it after only a few months and used the profit to buy parts for the restoration work I was in the middle of working on of a few beasts in the shop ay my Dad's. However major the pitfalls of the Vegas might have been, they could certainly Handle. I put radials on mine when brand new and it was a dream on the road. Had I been smart enough to put a better -- larger -- radiator in it, it would have lasted far longer than it did. A good friend of mine did that to his and it changed the car completely from a clunker to a real car with reliability. Another "minor" problem with the Cossy was that black exterior -- it soaked up heat like a sponge in South Carolina....

#19 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 19:39

BRM weren't alone.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#20 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 20:17

Originally posted by Roger Clark
[B]BRM weren't alone.

At the bottom it says: Fina

No mention of Vigzol here though...

http://www.kes.hants...&lubricant=Fina

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 21:20

It says "marketed by" Fina. IIRC Duckhams was originally marketed by BP, although it's now a division of BP.

#22 Will Estill

Will Estill

• 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 21:55

For those who just can't seem to get enough Vigzol...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...87&category=418

#23 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 22:03

Originally posted by Will Estill
For those who just can't seem to get enough Vigzol...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...87&category=418

Now don't any of you even THINK of bidding against me...

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 22:28

These say 'BRM wins'... Vizgol must have been with them for a while then?

When did BP come in, and when did they start with Shell?

#25 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 22:31

Presumably BRM Vol 1 by - what's 'is name? - will tell us.

#26 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 17:33

Did any of you go to see this....

Posted Image

#27 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 22:45

I did. I saw it in a theater in Bristol (although the venue is not listed on the ad you posted).

#28 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 23:00

Well I've been to both the Hammersmith Odeon and the Southampton Gaumont, but that was many years later and for a rather different form of entertainment....

What do they mean by 'virtually the entire race'? Did they miss some of it out? Were there advert breaks? 'Over two hours' seems too short. Nowadays it lasts for over 3 hours, and it must have been longer than that in the 60s.

#29 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 23:36

My recollection is that we saw the whole thing. I don't remember it being edited or otherwise shortened. But it has been a while and I can't say for certain. I remember being in that theater for a very long time that day though - in part because there was a very long delay in restarting the race after the huge crash on the first lap right at the start/finish line. Salt Walther got hurt pretty badly in that one and a number of cars were eliminated.

#30 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 00:48

Regarding the Indy 500 being shown in theaters... I distinctly recall my dad taking me to one when I was around 10 – it was a theater in Akron, Ohio. More recollections of the early instilments of the dreaded fuel and oil disease.

When I was at the IMRRC a couple of weeks ago, I remember the amusement as I searched for various articles in the magazines - the ads for various racing venues and services were very cool.

#31 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 16:34

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
My recollection is that we saw the whole thing. I don't remember it being edited or otherwise shortened. But it has been a while and I can't say for certain. I remember being in that theater for a very long time that day though - in part because there was a very long delay in restarting the race after the huge crash on the first lap right at the start/finish line. Salt Walther got hurt pretty badly in that one and a number of cars were eliminated.

The accident involving Salt Walther was in the 1973 race wasn't it, not 1966?

#32 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 16 October 2003 - 16:40

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger

Mike, just for the record: Salt Walther was injured in the 1973 start crash, not in 1966...;)

#33 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 01:41

Thanks very much for catching me on that one! I was remembering the long delay from the '66 crash and my mind went to Salt Walther. But you are of course correct.

Now that I have taken the time to actually look it up, I am reminded that while the two crashes were similar in both being at the start - and both eliminating a large number of cars - 1973 was actually far more horrendous.

The '66 crash involved 16 cars and 11 were eliminated including A.J. Foyt, Dan Gurney, Don Branson and Cale Yarborough (Don Capps's cousin!). The accident started when Billy Foster hit Gordon Johncock. Interestingly, Johncock was not one of the cars knocked out - he went on to finish 4th. The only injury was to A.J. who suffered a cut finger and bruised knee when he scaled the fence to get away from the melee. There was a fatality earlier in the month when Chuck Rodee hit the southwest wall on a qualifying warmup lap. That was also the year that Jackie Stewart seemed to be heading home with a comfortable win when his car's oil pressure failed with just 25 miles to go. And it was also the year of the disputed finish when Chapman and Granatelli claimed Jim Clark had won and not Graham Hill. Leading to the famous Graham Hill statement that he must have won because "I drank the milk!"

'73 is considered one of the darkest of all Indy 500's with three fatalities during the month - two drivers and a crewman - and 13 spectators injured. On May 12 Art Pollard was killed when he hit the turn one wall and flipped down the south chute coming to rest upside down in turn two. It took three days to get the race in. Race day was Monday (Memorial day) May 28. After lengthy rain delays the start was finally made in mid-afternoon. Salt Walther and Jerrry Grant tangled percipitating a 12-car chain reaction accident. Flaming fuel and debris from Walther's car caused the 13 spectator injuries. His car hit the outside wall and slid 640 feet. Walther's injuries were severe but he eventually raced again. The rain returned and the race was postponed. On Tuesday they tried to start the race at 10:15 A.M. but rain came again with the cars on the pace lap. The race was finally run on Wednesday May 30. Swede Savage suffered fatal burns when his car hit the turn four wall and split in two (he lingered with his burns until succumbing on July 2). The track was covered in flames. In the pitlane a crew man (I can't find his name - does anyone know?) from Graham McRae's team was looking up the track in the direction of the accident when he was struck and killed by an emergency truck going the wrong way (northbound) in the pit lane. The race was stopped after 133 laps when the rain returned yet again and Gordon Johncock was declared the winner sitting in the pits when the race was called.

#34 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 21:46

I remember many years ago seeing an interview on TV with Colin Chapman at some dinner or other..when asked what he thought was the best way to drive safely on the road, he answered something along the lines: "flat out all the time; it's the only way to maintain concentration"

I wonder if his Daily Dispatch column took a similar approach? Anyone remember?

Posted Image

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 21:55

.....I wonder if his Daily Dispatch column took a similar approach? Anyone remember?

Posted Image

I'd suggest that if this was the power unit taking you places, then 'flat out all the way' wouldn't be all that terribly illegal. In fact, it might be essential...

#36 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 22:03

I'd suggest that if this was the power unit taking you places, then 'flat out all the way' wouldn't be all that terribly illegal. In fact, it might be essential...

True...but I think he'd moved on from side valve Fords by then...

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 23:27

And about time too!

I cannot imagine why the 1172 and 750 people kept going for so long...

#38 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 05:33

bump.....
such a good thread.....here's some more...

Posted Image
Auto Motor und Sport 1/66

if you think the picture is funny you have to read the text....

"If you like manual and firm suspension you should smoke cigars.
Why? Because smoking cigars suits sporting men.
There are young,slim sizes of cigars that you certainly like.
Cigars taste good.
And smoking cigar is sensible.
Reason (vernunft) suits fast men.
Well...enough reasons for cigars and cigarillos
....because men smoke cigars

i picture Michael Schumacher lighting up Montoyas cigar :rotfl:

#39 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:06

Posted Image
Motor und Sport ,1942

"You will enjoy motorsport alot more when you wear a Gentila-Belt.Your body will be protected against vibration..blablabla....."

Advertisement

#40 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 20:55

Regarding 1172 ford motors , the "Yellow Peril" Lotus that Graham drove pulled over 100mph in clubmans trim

#41 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 23:18

Posted Image

Henry

#42 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 13:14

Posted Image

i want one :love:
cheers Marty

#43 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 20:17

Well, I had an A35 and I don't care who knows it. This is from 'Motor Racing' of Oct 1957and by the way, Vanwall have won again...

Geoff

Posted Image

#44 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 23:10

Posted Image

Motor Racing, February 1967

#45 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 23:36

Did any of you go to see this....

Posted Image

I was another to see this, in Birmingham in my case. I think I went with Andy Dawson and PMC Head. And I seem to remember that they showed "Tribute to Fangio" as a curtain-raiser!

Fabulous!

#46 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:15

Posted Image

#47 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:29

i might look like a complete idiot but is this Innes Ireland in KJJ's ad?
Did anybody realise tho huge hole in his socks?
great ads....i like this thread....
what about something a bit older......enjoy

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,352 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:57

:rotfl:

If you want a laught check it add out...... :rolleyes: TOYOTA WIN G.P.!

Posted Image

#49 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:51

Well it does say 'Japanese GP Auto Races' rather than 'Japanese GP'. A supporting race perhaps?

This almost matches the Chrysler advert where the Valiants won the Monte Carlo Rally and went on to win the Monaco GP. What they had actually done was competed in the Monte and possibly finished or maybe even won their class. (On second thoughts it may have been Ford Falcons or Galaxies)

#50 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 13:17

The first Japanese GP was a sports car race, so this was definitely one of the support races, hence the Auto Races clarification.......