Photo

Formula 3000 WATN - on the Web!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 20:29

Now, although it's all one WATN jamboree, I think, at least, initially, this deserves its own thread. If you visit the site you will notice that the F3000 drivers WATN is now up! :clap:

However a few words of introduction & explanation are needed.
Introduction first & to try & answer a few queries:
Now, why F3000, why now, WHY??? :)
Why now? Well, F1 is under "control" as it were - the links built up have made it easier on me & with the racing season either over or nearly finishing in many areas - it makes it the optimum time for cracking the nut. I also think it's a good time, now WATN is established, to expand a little - from a business point of view, why stand still when you can improve?
Why F3000?
A number of reasons.
Most importantly, this is still an amateur production. I have to earn a living & scrape by. Hence, I cannot make the WATN too difficult for me to handle in one go. I decided a little while back that F3000 would certainly be the most feasible - it's a relatively new formula, it's relatively well documented (compared to say some F3) & many of the drivers are still racing, which helps me keep an easier eye on them.
But also, I find it fascinating what happens to those who set out to reach the top... but don't & this not only highlights those who came close but what talent NEVER reached F1 - Kristensen, Nielsen, J Muller Collard, Rydell, Bourdais (for now) etc.
I knew biographical data may be a little lacking but WATN would make up for that & solves many many queries that have & will continue to crop up from time to time.
Why not F2?
I have to draw the line somewhere for now - I think there's more than enough to keep me & yourselves occupied & interested! The possibilities for WATN are, potentially, limitless. Post-war Indy 500, as some of you will know, is my next attempt, when will depend on my work & any time I get spare, but it's definitely in the pipeline. After that, we'll see. Will it become a behemoth, I don't know.. we'll see..
Now I must also add that the people in the F3000 list are those who didn't make to F1 - I don't see the point in putting someone twice. Likewise, when I do Indy post-war, it will be those who haven't been in F1, the 50's Indy 500's AND F3000. A smidgeon controversial, but I think it's easier to keep people separate.

I do need help - there are a fair few gaps ! I know a few of you, Geza Sury & some others have the F3000 yearbooks (I don't) & others know information about certain drivers - please, please any help would be appreciated - hopefully having it on the site is easier for you than me asking one one thread... you can take your time & find gaps or mistakes with this..
Also, with the place names - they often give just the place name - if the birthplace should be extended, ie nr or should include a district (normally, I mean) let me know, please. As I say, this is one drawback of less resources..

Explanation:
- first to quote from Allen himself there isn't much change at all:

It's basically the same page as before but now it looks at the new column to decide:
* the title on the blue bar
* the main page heading
* the contents of the 'See also' box
* which letters need to be active in the A | B | C ... navigation
* which drivers to show
The search results page has been modified in the same way.

So no real major facelift, just a major addition.

The site address is still the same:
http://www.oldracing...driver/watn.asp

Now:
The new information & tables include every F3000 qualifier & non-qualifier since 1985, the start of the formula. It still many gaps, so if there are people who know information - maybe this will encourage them to post it now it's easier to find!

A reminder also of the original points from the "F1" WATN, as it were...

Clicking on the letters produces a list of all drivers whose surnames start
with that letter. It starts with all those starting with an "A". I have
listed De Angelis under "D" rather than "A" (and van der Poele under "V"
instead of "P", etc), as per your list but it may be more user-friendly for
me to list them in both places.
The search is very basic but we can add other things if people want them.
It looks for any surname that contains the letters you type in. Try
searching on "zz" to see what it is doing - you just get Barbazza,
Mazzacane, Pizzonia, Pozzi, Regazzoni and Taramazzo.

For now, I've added a link directly
to the existing thread so people can join in.

The link is still for the 2nd WATN thread, the one that is up for the most recent updates on about 98 posts. I intend to do all future updates on that thread for now, but there is a point to this new thread, which I'll come to shortly. As for search, you can do the same for F3000, but searching between tables , ie all those drivers starting with "Fre" isn't possible - yet.. just one for F1 & one for F3000.

Now, re. the data.

I may have made mistakes - I have done before & I will do again. Again, spellings, big bloopers on dates, anything, please let me know any mistakes you find. Otherwise, I can't update them unless I notice them myself.
Now, unlike F1 & Indy, I'm working on far, far less resources here. I have got the general data from fewer websites, books etc. than are available to me than F1 - there also seems to be less stringence in these sources, F1 has been mulled over time after time, F3000 less so. So there may be mistakes made by these sources that I have copied - some drivers may be off the list altogether - if anyone can set me straight over anyone I've missed, then I will greatly appreciate it - this first update will naturally be a bit rough around the edges, but give it a little time & I think it'll be a very, very good F3000 resource, something a little lacking on the web.

Anything queried, let me know, in here, or by pm, e-mail etc.

Nationalities, Years Contested & starts are not that important - just a little extra. Feel free to make me aware of many big blunders but I am unlikely to change the contested years & race total, except for current racers. The total for current racers was correct AT TIME OF ORIGINAL ENTRY.
I've been lucky that I can put the completed updates for 2003, so this won't apply again till April next year.

Where Are they Now is still very, very important to me. It's the only thing that sets aside this project from other wonderful tomes. Any incorrect/out of date/new info, please, again, let me know.
This is not completely definitive - it may never be. I can only hope to make it as accurate and as updated as I can - so any help will be always appreciated. Any Comments, suggestions etc. will be very welcome. Is the new format, as it were, easier for you - or would you like everyone in one list -we're happy with it, but we're happy to take on board any suggestions

I think I've covered it all again & once again a huge thanks to Allen Brown - he is a star!

Once again, enjoy it!

Advertisement

#2 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 21:40

In case I haven't made it obvious, the URL for the F3000 drivers is:

http://www.oldracing...?Category=F3000

Allen

#3 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 22:07

Tomas Kaiser now (and have for a long time I think) runns the "Hello Sweden Promotion AB", a company that helps up and comming athletes with sponsors.

Posted Image

Carl Rosenblad also did Paris-Dakar in 2002.

Thed Björk only races some F-Reanult V6 races this year, after that he was in the Swedish GT championship in a Chrysler Viper.

Kenny Brack is still (or back with) team Rahal but now back in IRL. And of course currently in hospital after his accident last week.

/Viktor

#4 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 22:18

Tomas Scheckter, he races this year with Ganassi in IRL, not CART.

btw Thank you for all the work you have put into this page :up: :up:

/Viktor

#5 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:46

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
I find it fascinating what happens to those who set out to reach the top... but don't & this not only highlights those who came close but what talent NEVER reached F1 - Kristensen, Nielsen, J Muller Collard, Rydell, Bourdais (for now) etc. (...)
I do need help - there are a fair few gaps ! I know a few of you, Geza Sury & some others have the F3000 yearbooks (I don't) & others know information about certain drivers - please, please any help would be appreciated - hopefully having it on the site is easier for you than me asking one one thread... you can take your time & find gaps or mistakes with this...

Tremendous effort Richie, hats off to you :clap: :clap: :clap: It's very interesting to see what have happened to the drivers who had come into F3000 from various categories in the initial years (1985-87) and the young hopefuls who joined the series later. I've already spent about one and a half hours browsing the pages and I'm not yet finished!

Yes, I do have some F3000 yearbooks, including the very first one, which covers the first three years, although not in detail. I also own the 1990 annual and just waiting for the 1988 one to arrive. It was dispatched last week from the US with surface mail, so it will take some time to reach me. I also had the 1989 yearbook for a while, but the condition of the book was so bad that I sent it back to the bookseller who promised a refund. So I think I can supply information about a couple of drivers, especially birthdates, which I'm certainly going to do when I get home this evening. In the meantime, I already have some suggestions:
  • IIRC Guido Dacco tried his hand in Indycar racing in 1989
  • Thomas Kaiser was close to a F1 drive a couple of times. See this thread for more info
  • Oliver Martini tested for Minardi in late 1997
  • Didn't Jari Nurminen turn to journalism? I recall reading a couple of articles by him a couple of years ago
  • I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps I've seen Thomas Schie racing in the Swedish Touring Car Championship
So that's all for now, I will return this evening ;)

#6 Viktor

Viktor

• 3,412 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:00

Originally posted by Geza Sury

I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps I've seen Thomas Schie racing in the Swedish Touring Car Championship

Yes, he was racing a Alfa Romeo 156 in 1999.

/Viktor

#7 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 14:59

OK, now let's see what I can add! (I forgot to mention that I also have the 1991 & 92 yearbooks. AFAIK no F3000 annuals were published after 1992) A couple of missing birth dates:
  • Steven Andskar: 30 Oct 1964
  • Claudio Antonioli: 1962 (Sorry I don't have the exact date)
  • Aldo Bertuzzi: 15 Apr 1961
  • Giambattista Busi: 21 Apr 1968
  • Bruno Corradi: 4 Mar 1954
  • Dominique Delestre: 18 Feb 1955 (Not 1954!)
  • Urs Dudler: 28 Apr 1954
  • Jean-Pierre Frey: 6 Jan 1955
  • Mark Galvin: 22 Jun 1955
  • Jean-Philippe Grand: 25 Sep 1953
  • Guido Knycz: 20 Dec 1965
  • Eric Lang: 1952
  • Robert Lee-Lewis: 1963
  • Gilles Lempereur: 01 Mar 1959
  • Massimo Monti: 26 Mar 1962
  • Benoit Morand: 9 Nov 1958
  • Valentino Musetti: 1 Jan 1943
  • Jari Nurminen: 10 Nov 1961
  • Marzio Romano: 23 Jun 1955
  • Bernard Santal: 17 Feb 1960
  • Nicola Tesini: 19 Apr 1962
  • Fabiano Vandone: 14 Jul 1966
I hope this helps ;)

#8 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 15:17

Claudio Antonioli: 1962 (Sorry I don't have the exact date)

I've got December 4th 1962, but don't know if it's correct

#9 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 15:18

A couple of further additions:

I've just noticed that Franco Tacchino is completely missing from the list. His full name is
Gianfranco Tacchino and was born on 4 Nov 1961. He took part in seven races during the 1986 season.

In the meantime I've found Domenico Gitto's birth date which is 28 Sep 1961.

Another missing driver is David Velay, who was born on 15 Dec 1963. His first F3000 outing was at Dijon in 1989. He appeared just once more in the category and that was in 1991.

#10 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 16:24

Originally posted by Geza Sury

Didn't Jari Nurminen turn to journalism? I recall reading a couple of articles by him a couple of years ago

Nurminen was commentating on F1 (and CART?) for Eurosport a couple of years back, so this may check out.

#11 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 16:29

Richie,

Great effort !!

I'll dust off my F3000 presspacks etc.........hopefully I can fill some gaps, particularly for the Brits.

Adam

#12 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 17:41

Thanks all, particulary Geza :clap:
With the missing drivers, some are my fault (ie Giebler inexplicably missing) but the list I had is not that reliable so I never came across Tachino & Velay - anyone else missed out, please let me know - I have noticed a few spelling & grammar errors - Musetti, Sala & Iida et al but as I said, it will start a little rough round the edges but with a bit of polishing might shine like a Kimberley Diamond! :)

I presume Tacchino is Italian - Velay - French or Swiss? (although I guess I can find out about these two if need be)

Geza (or anyone else for that matter) would there be anywhere, whether we've access to it or not at present for birthplaces or is that asking too much? :lol:

#13 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:09

I can add some more birthdates, starting with these :

John Alcorn - 27 Jul 1964
Dominic Chappell - 20 Nov 1966 corrected
Thierry Delubac - 23 Mar 1963
Maurizio Sandro Sala - 30 Aug 1958
Franco Scapini - 07 Apr 1962
Robbie Stirling - 07 Sep 1960

#14 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:18

Adding a few more gaps :

Jacques Goudchaux - 21 Aug 1963
Michael Greenfield - 15 Apr 1963
Ross Hockenhull - 29 Sep 1961

#15 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:18

Thanks very much Rainer! :up:

#16 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:27

And also :

Pascal Witmeur - 01 Apr 1955

No places of birth though, for these drivers...

Chappell was British but might have been French born.

#17 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:35

Noted that Alessandro Zanardi was omitted.

Missing Giovanna Amati as well, but she might have been DNQ in all her starts.

#18 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:39

Slim Borgudd should also be included, he did 3 rounds for Roger Cowman Racing in a Arrows A6-Cosworth/Smith in 1985.

#19 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:47

Rainer, Rainer stop!!! :D

F1 drivers are still in the F1 index - F3000 drivers only, as it were are in F3000. You're the second to mention Amati & I must stop you before you add 56 or so more posts!!

Now I must also add that the people in the F3000 list are those who didn't make to F1 - I don't see the point in putting someone twice. Likewise, when I do Indy post-war, it will be those who haven't been in F1, the 50's Indy 500's AND F3000. A smidgeon controversial, but I think it's easier to keep people separate. :)

Advertisement

#20 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 18:50

Ok, I got carried away there, sorry... :blush:

Sure, there is no need to have them listed twice....!
I was only comparing my lists of F3000 competitors with your database...

#21 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 19:17

Despite his name, I believe Norio Matsubara is from Brazil . (He is listed as Brazilian in my database.)

#22 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 19:28

re. Matsubara, is that a Brazillian licence, birth or both, do you think? Believe me, with some I'm really in the dark with.
I've looked for David Velay & he's in GT's now, but half the reports say he's Swiss, the others French?! Any ideas which ?

#23 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 20:13

Richie,

A few more DOBs :-

Mark Albon 9/11/1969
David Hunt 20/5/1960
Robert Lee-Lewis 26/9/1963

Also two discrepancies :-

My source says Dominic Chappell was born on 28/11/1966
and that Steve Robertson was born on 4/7/1964
The FRC will solve these in due course.

ADAM

#24 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 20:25

Chappell was born in 1966 , Adam F is correct.

#25 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 20:35

A few more gaps remaining on the DOB side...

Eric Bellefroid - 16 Mar 1962
Sérgio Paese - 15 Dec 1975

#26 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 20:42

Eric Cheli - 20 Aug 1966

#27 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 20:50

I've looked for David Velay & he's in GT's now, but half the reports say he's Swiss, the others French?! Any ideas which ?

I have David VELAY - 15 Dec 1963 - listed as FRENCH in my database.

About Matsubara I am not certain about his country of birth, but I would place my bets on Brazil.

#28 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 21:09

Andrea Gilardi - 18 May 1969

#29 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 21:33

I presume Tacchino is Italian - Velay - French or Swiss? (although I guess I can find out about these two if need be)

Geza (or anyone else for that matter) would there be anywhere, whether we've access to it or not at present for birthplaces or is that asking too much? :lol:

Yes, Tacchino is from Italy and according to my F3000 yearbooks Velay is French. I must correct myself: his first outing was not in 1989 but a year later. Unfortunately there's no info about the drivers' birthplaces in the annuals :cry:

#30 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 22:08

With the missing drivers, some are my fault (ie Giebler inexplicably missing) but the list I had is not that reliable so I never came across Tachino & Velay - anyone else missed out, please let me know.

Richie, I feel proud to be able to contribute to this great project :blush: It seems that now there's only one driver missing, but he's quite important: race-winner Antonio Tamburini! His birthdate is 15 Sep 1966 ;)

#31 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:37

AFAIK, the two main ares where I got my data were done in 1994, hence they're not bad for after that - but to miss a whole race winner out! Oh dear!
Still, I'm glad this sort of thing helps set my mind at rest. Thanks, once again, to everyone for the continued dates - Adam, I intend to visit the FRC quite soon - I can certainly get a few birthplaces then, as well as dates.
:up: Birthplaces are a pain, but otherwise it's filling with info quite quickly!

#32 Adam F

Adam F

• 430 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 18:29

A couple more corrections :-

Phil Andrews was born on 20/8/1966

And

Richard Dean was born on 7/10/1964

I think I may have found details of Tim Davies, but I'll PM you as I'm not sure.

ADAM

#33 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 16:18

My missing F3000 yearbooks have arrived, so I can add a couple of missing birthdates:

• David Campeau: 19 Aug 1958
  • Wladimiro de Tomaso: 01 Feb 1951
  • Enrico Debenedetti: 01 Jan 1964
  • Nino Fama: 27 Sep 1956
  • Michael Greenfield: 15 Apr 1963
  • Ruggero Melgrati: 09 May 1961
  • Alessandro Santin: 10 Jun 1958
  • Walter Voulaz: 17 Mar 1960
I browsed through the F3000 WATN and noticed that now there's only eleven drivers without birthdates, so my addition would reduce this to three. It seems Richie forgot to add Jacques Goudchaux's birthdate, so apart from that there's only two drivers whose birthdates still remain a mystery. They are Simon Kane and Roberto del Castello.

#34 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 18:23

Geza - a big, big thank you :up: - however......

I've bought a booklet from David Hayhoe & spent last week going through it. This week I went to the FRC & next week my (real) work stops me from doing any real kind of WATN work but once that's all out of the way, I will do the update & when I do, virtually every driver in the F3000 table has new info... :eek: (it will be put on this thread for this case...)

I'll keep it as a surprise just for now but I will say that the only drivers now missing birthdates are:

Cary Bren
Alain Filhol
Constantino Jr.
Norio Matsubara
Severino Nardozzi
Mario Waltner

those missing birthplaces only are:
Antonioli
Belleforid
Bertuzzi
Bren
Carcasi
Corradi
Dallest
de Tomaso
Debenedetti
Dudler
Filhol
Kane
Knycz
Melgrati
Morand
Nardozzi
Olsson
Pedersoli
Romano
Santin
Smith (think I may have cracked this one)
Tacchino
Tesini
Voulaz
Waltner

and the only drivers with birthplaces - but not full ones - left are:
Aguas,
Julian,
Matsubara
J Taylor

de Vineusa I am looking for his deathplace still

Believe it or not, every other gap you can see at the moment is filled!!!

(and because the list is small, Indy500 is moved forward a bit)

#35 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 21:59

I remember that Viktor Maslov was planning to drive sportscars after his F3000-days, although I can't recall any details, nor can I find anything on this. I have sent an email to Ardens former main sponsor Lukoil however. Let's see what happens...

#36 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 22:07

Slightly OT, but:

"Franck Montagny: One of Renault F1’s two test drivers, he also races in the Formula Nissan Championship. Expected to be in F1 with Minardi in 2004. "

Richie; I have heard no such rumours yet?! Yet the Briatore/Minardi-connection seems obvious. But on the other hand Montagny is going to do the fridays testing for Renault, which leaves no place for a Minardi race-seat in 2004. Or should that be 2005?

#37 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 22:22

Walter Voulaz drove in the Italian Porsche cup in september 2003, driving for team Autorlando Sport.

#38 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 22:56

Originally posted by Mischa Bijenhof
Slightly OT, but:

"Franck Montagny: One of Renault F1’s two test drivers, he also races in the Formula Nissan Championship. Expected to be in F1 with Minardi in 2004. "

Richie; I have heard no such rumours yet?! Yet the Briatore/Minardi-connection seems obvious. But on the other hand Montagny is going to do the fridays testing for Renault, which leaves no place for a Minardi race-seat in 2004. Or should that be 2005?

Sorry! Old News!

When that was written, he was certain to be with Minardi but things change. for the next update in a week or so, it will read "Renault Third & Test driver blah de blah" - I should have done it already, really :blush:

However I think he will be in the F1 category by April 2005.... maybe in a yellow & blue car :drunk:

#39 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 20:35

Richie - Have you cleared the Friesacher case, too?

Markus and Patrick Friesacher definitely are not brothers. AFAIK they are not even related. So it is unlikely - no, impossible - that they are both born at Wolfsberg in Austria.

Advertisement

#40 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 21:00

Yes Reinhard - thanks, I have actually.

No, they're not related in any form, seems amazing in one sense - Markus should be born Salzburg & Patrick, by the way should be the 26th September - I think I've got 20th there, right now. If I've got the 26th now, then it should be the 20th - whichever I've got now - it's the other one. :lol: As I say, I'll have it up soon, maybe next weekend, so bear with me all, and once again, data wise anyhow, the only ones still missing data are those I listed a post or so back.

Cheers :up:

Oh, Reinhard - nothing is impossible. :cool: (but it would've been an astonishing co-incidence if they had been born in Wolfsberg but weren't related!!)

#41 O Volante

O Volante

• 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 23:14

Richie,
no guarantee, but ...
"Constantino Júnior" = Constantino de Oliveira, born 12 August 1968, Patrocinio
source: one of these Brazilian homepages ...

#42 O Volante

O Volante

• 309 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 23:27

A little more from my records ...
Kane born c. 1967 (have a look on the Formula 4000, nee Formula Holden homepage ...)
Nardozzi born c. 1946 (very useful info ...)
Julian born 16 August 1974
J Taylor born 18 October 1955
Does these help, or did I misunderstand something?

#43 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 23:54

Yes Reinhard - thanks, I have actually.

No, they're not related in any form, seems amazing in one sense

[...]

Oh, Reinhard - nothing is impossible. :cool: (but it would've been an astonishing co-incidence if they had been born in Wolfsberg but weren't related!!)

Hey, I only discovered yesterday that the guy I thought was Bob Bell (new Renault TD) is actually two guys called Bob Bell both of whom have had fairly impressive careers, but most of the really impressive bits have been the "other" Bob Bell!

(Actually, I sense a "which Bob Bell did what" thread coming on at some point!)

#44 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 09:56

Originally posted by O Volante
A little more from my records ...
Kane born c. 1967 (have a look on the Formula 4000, nee Formula Holden homepage ...)
Nardozzi born c. 1946 (very useful info ...)
Julian born 16 August 1974
J Taylor born 18 October 1955
Does these help, or did I misunderstand something?

Wow! Thanks for the de Oliveria & Nardozzi pointers :up:

I am half tempted to put it F3000 up today but I musn't as I don't really have the spare time...

Elton Julian & James Taylor I have the birthdates & birthplaces - Canary Isles, Spain for the former, Malta for the latter - but it's where or those islands these fellows were born that I'm now searching for...

#45 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 21:17

Okay - take a deep breath!! :)

Many of you have helped here - Geza, Rainer, O Volante, Gabriel E, Adam F etc. etc. and I thank you all & others profusely - a special thanks, also to Francisco Ortiz & Juan F Gomez at Felix's Spanish Forum for solving the (tragic) case of Alfonso Garcia de Vinuesa.

But without doubt, the person who gets the most thanks is David Hayhoe. David has a quite wonderful little F3000 booklet which will now be my F3000 "bible" & although I will take credit for paying for the booklet & double checking some of the queriable drivers - the bulk of the new information is David Hayhoe's work & I thank him for not only allowing me to see it but to use it too -

the easiest way for me to do this is to write it out as my notes are in front of me - the other way is to say - "oh stuff it, just go to the website & check yourself :p " but that's not really correct, is it? :)

Two drivers to mention first - Pla is a new addition - Carcasci I made a balls up before I sent it - I have his birthplace now - I know the spelling is wrong & I know his WATN, so next update - he'll be sorted. Alsom driver starts & some driver years have been re-done but are not included here - mainly as there's enough updates to get through!!!

Firstly, though I will put the drivers MISSING data:

Missing a FULL birthplace

Rui Aguas (Mozambique)
Sam Hancock (Surrey)
Elton Julian (Canary Isles, Spain - new info)
Norio Matsubara (Brazil)
James Taylor (Malta)

Missing birthplace
Antonioli, Bellefroid, Bertuzzi, Bren, Corradi, Dallest, de Tomaso, Debenedetti, Dudler, Filhol, Kane, Knycz, Melgrati, Morand, Nardozi, Olsson, Pedersoli, Romano, Santin, Tacchino, Tesini, Voulaz, Waltner

missing birthdate
Bren, Filhol, Nardozzi, Waltner (just four now - which is brilliant)

Okay - here's the new info - in no particular order mostly - sorry!

John Alcorn, Smith, Watt, Rees - birthplaces
de Tomaso & Debenedetti, Kane, Melgrati, Olsson, Santin, Voulaz - birthdates
Constantino Jr - birthdate & birthplace

Corrected deathdate - new deathplace & WATN - de Vineusa

Next :
Slight Changes
The following all have slight changes (spellings, full names etc.) to their original info:
Birthplaces:
Aiello, Bouchut, Briscoe, Colciago, Cottaz (thanks to Peter Higham for this one), Giovanardi, Godin, Gollin, Lowdnes, Melo, Nguyen, Piccini, Ruberti, all three Speraficio's, Tamburini, Tinseau

Next what was (or maybe still is) the Queriables -
some of these I am now happy with, some I'm sticking with - I've put what I had & IF I changed it - what I changed it to:

M Friesacher - now Salzburg not Wolfsberg (thanks Rewind, amongst others)
Mark Albon IS definitely 1969, not 100% sure about Billericay, but...
Phil Andrews - now Walsall, Staffs & proper birthdate
Bert - birthdate is right - birthplace is now changed
Bjork - the new birthplace & date IS correct - disregard the ol Orebo 12/9/80
David Campeau should be Danny Campeau - not David - also have Campeau's birthdate now
Chappell WAS born in England, not France
Cochet - should be born 1977, not 1976
Coucerio - born in Angola not Oporto
Hilton Cowie - not South African, but actually Zambian
de Castro - full birthdate & changed Arevalo to Avila
Dean - new birthplace
Filiberti - definitely now 1977 & not 1978 for birth year
Gavin - Huntingdon, not Northampton birthplace
Gene - the old "Americansation" here - should be 5/12 (5 Dec) not 12/5!
Gilbert-Scott, new birthplace, accepted but can't verify new birthdate
Gosparini - new birthplace
Gueiros - new birthplace & changed birthdate
Horner - b. Leamington, not Banbury
Lang - significant change of birthdate - by 10 years! & new birthplace
Lempereur - new birthplace & should be French not Canadian
Lucchinelli - his birthplace has been refreshed properly now
Mancini, b. Empoli, Firenze - not simply Empoli
Martini - b. Bologna not Lugo di Romano
G & C Montanari are born in Bologna, not Imola
Robertson - born in Hackney (new) - date needs sorting still
Sandro Sala - new birthplace, changed birthdate
Scheckter - should be born Monaco not Cape Town
Scheld - new birthplace - changed birthdate to correct day
Spataro - 25th May not 26th
P Stewart - actually born Dumbarton not Genevaa
Varano - born Como, not Switzerland
Weaver - born London, not Wiltshire
Zakowski - slight change of birthplace

New information & sure of it - basically I have no queries or qualms about the following:
BIRTHPLACES:
Aloi, Andskar, Arnold, Artzet, Bachelart, Battistuzzi, Bonnanno, Bugatti, Busi, "Chauvet", Cheli, Crinelli, Croceri, Davies, Delestre, Delubac, Evans, Favre, Fertl, Galvin - also he should be IRL not GB, Gilardi, Heger, Hytten, Kempton, M Martini, Mollekens, Monti, C Muller, Nurminen, Paese, Pavicevic, Santal, Scapini, Spence, Stirling, Tarres, Tassin, Trolle, Vandone, Velay, Witmeur

BIRTHDATES:
J Keen, Vinella

NEW BIRTHDATES & PLACES:
de Groodt, Goudchaux, Greenfield, Hiesse, Hockenhull, Musetti (7 not 1 Jan), Rostan, Schie, Shaw

NEW INFO & DOUBLE CHECKED ON MAP FOR PLACES: (some places didn't exist! - all of these are new info & I'm 100% happy with them)
Angelvy, Busslinger, del Castello, Dussau & Fama - birthplace & date
Beltoise, Collard (now Arpajon not Paris), Cook, Danielsson, Eyckmans, Frey, Giroix, Gitto (change of place), Grand, Kaiser, Nielsen (new spelling), Panchyrz, Proulx (and death place), Tedeschi, van Hool, Lee-Lewis

2003 Drivers
Mainly updated incorrect starts total - but C Montanari's birthplace changed, P Friesacher's birthdate changed & Hynes birthplace added

and that's your lot!! That's a hell of a lot of questions solved - so I'm well onto Indy 500 now - but any information is always appreciated :wave:

#46 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 07:16

Wow Richie, that's great! :up: Looking forward to your Indy 500 WATN ;)

#47 Claeys

Claeys

• 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 14:15

Hi Richie,

Again a great effort, well done! One interesting driver though is missing until now: Jan Lammers. He did one race with Eddie Jordan in 1986, a whole season with Il Barone Rampante in 1993 and one more race in 1994 in South-Africa. However I don't know if the races in 1986 and 1994 were official races.
About what he's doing at the moment... I suppose I don't have to tell you.

Keep up the good work!

#48 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 14:24

Lammers is there but he's listed under F1 drivers.

#49 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 21:37

Okay - take a deep breath!! :)

(...)
Firstly, though I will put the drivers MISSING data:
[B]
Missing a FULL birthplace
(...)Norio Matsubara (Brazil)
(...)

Richie, I believe Norio was born in Cambará (town in State of Paraná), Brazil.

Cheers,

Muzza

P.S.: Richie, I just saw that you are listing Norio as... Japanese? I thought he was as Brazilian as me (I mean, we are both "foreign-Brazilians"). Do you mind to check on that?

#50 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 22:53

Richie,

Regarding Constantino Júnior, his full name is Constantino de Oliveira Júnior.

His surname is Oliveira, and not "de Oliveira" as some sources list (in Portuguese, prepositions are not added to the formal mention of a surname, bar a few exceptions - and his name is not one of them. Sometimes Brazilians call themselves things like "de Oliveira" when talking to foreigners as this may sound more "classy", but it is gramatically incorrect).

I suggest you not to put the word Junior in bold, but I would leave that up to you. Also, there is an acute diacritic above the u on Junior.

The name of the air company he presides is Gol Linhas Aéreas, or simply Gol, not Goal Air.

Hope this helps,

Muzza