The greatest win rate in F1 history: a spin off question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:40

Maybe something for the thread the greatest win rate in F1 history:

What is likely the most bizarre World Championship point score of them all since 1950?

Henri Greuter

Advertisement

#2 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,487 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:01

Do you men great or bizarre then??

They will not be the same.

:cool:

#3 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:06

I do mean Bizarre. Or, if you wish: the strangest, most unusual point scoring effort by any draver ever in a race valid for the F1 world championship series.
No matter the final race result or the amount of points scored, great achievement, lucky fluke, name it. There's one score that I think to be the most unusual one of them all. But what are your thoughts and suggestions on that?

Henri

#4 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 09:28

I reckon it's 7 drivers splitting a point for fastest lap.... Silverstone '54 IIRC?

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:20

Baghetti's win rate or points rate that declined as time went on.

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,001 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:34

Originally posted by petefenelon
I reckon it's 7 drivers splitting a point for fastest lap.... Silverstone '54 IIRC?

And with Mike Hawthorn having a split point elsewhere in the year, he ended the title race with a score of something like 25 and nine-fourteenths...

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,869 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 13:00

Fagioli taking half a win?

Lederle becoming a Graded Driver thanks to his 6th place in the 1962 SA GP?

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,001 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 13:05

Just thinking...didn't Paul Russo once get a fastest lap point for the Indy 500?

That was a fluke for the following reasons:

1. he may not have appreciated he was taking part in a WC event;

2. individual lap times at Indy were only recorded for lead laps;

3. Russo may therefore not have set the fastest lap of the race, merely the fastest lead lap.

Obviously that applies to everyone else as well, but the fastest lap point went to the winner most often and a chap that was more likely actually have set the fastest lap.

#9 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 14:12

Prost in Monaco 84 won a rainy stopped race and got only half the points [4.5]; eventualy lost WC by half a point!

Michael Schumacher entered the pits to serve a stop-and-go penalty on the very last lap of the 98' Britsh GP but the finish line was just before Ferrari's place so he took victory!

Although this was bizarre it was not a win: in Monza 93, I think, Christian Fittipaldi crossed the line off the tarmac, upside-down, facing the wrong way!

#10 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,908 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 14:13

ensign14 wrote:

Just thinking...didn't Paul Russo once get a fastest lap point for the Indy 500?

That was a fluke for the following reasons:

1. he may not have appreciated he was taking part in a WC event;

2. individual lap times at Indy were only recorded for lead laps;

3. Russo may therefore not have set the fastest lap of the race, merely the fastest lead lap.

Obviously that applies to everyone else as well, but the fastest lap point went to the winner most often and a chap that was more likely actually have set the fastest lap.

====

Yep! That's the one I was thinking about.
The bizarre stat behind this fact is that Russo earned the point for his fastest lap in the race, faster than anybody achieved in qualifying too but....

He finished dead last in the race! 33th!

I have been checking the records and maybe I overlooked another last place finisher in a GP who drove the fastest lap and earned a point because of that but I haven't found another driver that Russo who accomplished this feat! And even if somebody else did it, I don't think anybody else ever scored a 33th place or lower in a race and ending up with a World championship point after all. So that must be a record for Russo among all WDC scores since 1950.

Henri Greuter

#11 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 14:25

Another one: in USA GP 1984 Mansell crossed the line pushing his car and collapsed! He was 5th or 6th, I think.

#12 roger_valentine

roger_valentine

• 208 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:54

Reviving this old thread because I have it in my head that a couple of the matters raised herein have been questioned (possibly even debunked), perhaps in a later thread?

The Indy 'fastest lap' point.

The Silverstone split fastest lap point.

Were these points ever actually awarded?

I think the question here is, was there ever an 'official' world championship table published for these years, or do we merely rely on a succession of journslist's interpretations of what the table was, based on their knowledge of a) the results and b) the points system? So that, whenever anything 'odd' happened, each journalist made his own assumptions about how the points would be distributed, and over the years, the opinion of the more respected journalists have come to be accepted as 'fact'.

I'm sure this question has been discussed elsewhere, but what, if any, was the conclusion?

#13 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 18:09

Actually, all laps at the IMS were recorded, but only the fastest leading lap was the "fastest lap" -- for reasons that obviously made perfect sense to someone at the time.

Roger, as to your question, it would be easy to make a case that until the advent of the "Yellow Books" in 1968, it was practically all a journalistic fantasy since there were few items passed onto the "public" by the CSI at the time such as points tables and so forth. Nor were the organizing clubs often much help. So to say that there was ever a conclusion reached to this question would have to be answered in the negative.

#14 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:19

Originally posted by panzani
Although this was bizarre it was not a win: in Monza 93, I think, Christian Fittipaldi crossed the line off the tarmac, upside-down, facing the wrong way!

Actually, Fittipaldi summersaulted because of a touché with his team mate (Pierluigi Martini?), but got back onto his wheels and slid across the finish line in perfect manner.