Photo

ALL MINI RACE - SYDNEY 2004

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:58

I have been discussing the possibility of an All Mini Race in Sydney with the HSRCA "Competitions Dept". I made this suggestion following similar events in QLD in 2001 and VIC in 2002.

There would have to be a good deal of interest before the HSRCA would commit to such a proposal. They have already counter-suggested that maybe a Cortina vs Mini concept would achieve the necessary track density.

So

Its up to all you Mini Racers out there. Can I have an indication of your interest before a formal approach to Appendix J/Group N associations and the myriad of Mini Car Clubs around Australia.

The Sandown Historic event was a pearler - sooooo entertaining with about 30 Bricks in the main event.

Over to you guys and gals....

Advertisement

#2 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 16:04

sounds like a hoot!!...is it still true that given any number of minis on a track they will all try to occupy the same spot at the same time?? :wave:

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:40

Originally posted by dbw
sounds like a hoot!!...is it still true that given any number of minis on a track they will all try to occupy the same spot at the same time?? :wave:

Sure it is and they are only take up 10 feet (and a 1/4 inch). They can also have 4 and 5 abreast on some big tracks making the racing mighty mighty interesting!!

Heres hoping we have an All Mini Race in Sydney in 2004 :up: :cool:

#4 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 13:54

:rotfl:

Hmmmmm, whilst the Forum is quiet, interest is slowly building elsewhere!!

Thinking well ahead ......re past Mini Racing Legends.....does anyone know the whereabouts and health of Brian Foley and Laurie Stewart and say John Leffler?? (keeping within the bounds of privacy please) . I think I know how to get hold of Lakis and a few others......

How about the fabulous Broadspeed Mini campaigned by the two gentlemen above .........is it still around?

Cheers :wave:

#5 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 13:10

Earth to Paul Newby! :up:

re "My friend Bill has also been in touch with Brian Foley"

Paul, could your friend also ask Brian next time he sees him:

How he would feel about racing in an All Mini Race in Sydney 2004 ??

or maybe

How he would feel about attending an All Mini Race as a "legend" in Sydney 2004 ??

or sadly

If he has any interest at all in an All Mini Race in Sydney 2004 ?? :

Regards, Mick

#6 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 01:45

I had the meeting re the possibility of the All Mini Race in Sydney with the HSRCA "Competitions Dept". 19-20 June 2004 is the meeting HSRCA have said might work.

Basically it is now up to the racers to signify there interest before the HSRCA will progress the matter any further (express interest in participating through me or to the HSRCA, but at some stage everyone will need to get their act together as a coordinated group if the race is to be a success).

So once again.

Its up to all the Mini Racers out there.

#7 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 451 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 07:53

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Earth to Paul Newby! :up:

re "My friend Bill has also been in touch with Brian Foley"

Paul, could your friend also ask Brian next time he sees him:

How he would feel about racing in an All Mini Race in Sydney 2004 ??

or maybe

How he would feel about attending an All Mini Race as a "legend" in Sydney 2004 ??

or sadly

If he has any interest at all in an All Mini Race in Sydney 2004 ?? :

Regards, Mick

Hello Mick :wave:

Sorry about the delay. Maybe a pm might have got me sooner, or a thread on Australian Alfas .... :lol:

Brian has been haranged by Alfisti for a long time and he has forgotten more than he remembers. I would presume that it would be the same deal with the Mini fraternity.

Brian is now in his seventies and his racing days are long over, however he is still flogging Alfas in Wollongong and if you flick through the Saturday classifieds you will see his name and a mobile number. Give him a call and tell him you're interested in that black 156 GTA! :)

Remember the weekend is the busiest time for selling cars, but you never know. He has been known to speak at Alfa club nights in the past and I believe the Group N trophy is in his honour as well, so watching the Minis wouldn't be a stretch. Good luck!

#8 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:34

Well my original Mini race car is sitting out in my garage all rebuilt with about a weekend worth of work to put it on the track. But what was hot in 1973 would be a pussycat Mini race car today so I guess the old warrior should rest on his laurels, as should his driver. And Sidney is a long, long way from Las Vegas. I guess I will just have to look at the pictures and lament I got here 30 years too soon.

#9 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:36

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Hello Mick :wave:

Sorry about the delay. Maybe a pm might have got me sooner, or a thread on Australian Alfas .... :lol:

Brian has been haranged by Alfisti for a long time and he has forgotten more than he remembers. I would presume that it would be the same deal with the Mini fraternity.

Brian is now in his seventies and his racing days are long over, however he is still flogging Alfas in Wollongong and if you flick through the Saturday classifieds you will see his name and a mobile number. Give him a call and tell him you're interested in that black 156 GTA! :)

Remember the weekend is the busiest time for selling cars, but you never know. He has been known to speak at Alfa club nights in the past and I believe the Group N trophy is in his honour as well, so watching the Minis wouldn't be a stretch. Good luck!

Thanks heaps Paul. I will follow up on that one - hey I'm from Wollongong originally - I speak the language!! Alfisti? me? hmmmmm maybe not although those old GTAs don't look half bad
Cheers, Mick

PS Wakefield Historics was a very good meeting - brilliany sunshine most of the time - near full grid of 36 tintops (yee haa).

#10 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:43

Originally posted by Buford
Well my original Mini race car is sitting out in my garage all rebuilt with about a weekend worth of work to put it on the track. But what was hot in 1973 would be a pussycat Mini race car today so I guess the old warrior should rest on his laurels, as should his driver. And Sidney is a long, long way from Las Vegas. I guess I will just have to look at the pictures and lament I got here 30 years too soon.

Hey Buford T ......, I stayed in Vegas a few years back before the place had a makeover and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now there is space in containers coming over here every day....ya get the idea.... ;) . Unfortunately, there are also Minis going back to the states from here which is disturbing as we want to keep the good ones for ourselves!! :rolleyes:

#11 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 20:20

Just a reminder that unless you save all those Mini's DownUnder they'll end up on display on the outside walls of restaurants. This one is just down the road from my quaint abode.
Posted Image :evil:

#12 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 01:55

Hey Buford T ......, I stayed in Vegas a few years back before the place had a makeover and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now there is space in containers coming over here every day....ya get the idea.... ;) . Unfortunately, there are also Minis going back to the states from here which is disturbing as we want to keep the good ones for ourselves!! :rolleyes:

Yeah most of ours rotted out. Send us more.

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,414 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:11

Send more? Are you gluttons for punishment?

275 etc... you'll find John Leffler still running his suspension or steering shop in Riverwood.

Another who raced Minis famously was John French, of course... but I don't think you'll get him behind the wheel... he's also tiring out, he's got to be older than Foley.

Lakis Manticas? You should be able to find him easy enough... Ross Wittig? He was a star in the crossflow head days... Mike Hunt? Or was that Mick Hunt? Not Eric Hunt... anyway, he was another who raced them at Amaroo.

Don Holland, now there's one you will get... he turned up at Wakefield the other day in a FFord, you should have seen him! Or at least he entered...

Then again, who'd drive a Mini after having driven an openwheeler?

Oh, yeah... this bloke...

Posted Image

Now where is this event going to be held? Eastern Creek I guess? You'll need a lot of Minis to fill that circuit!

#14 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 451 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 02:21

You should get Lakis Manticas as well. He is an active member of the WRX club and has been supersprinting a hot Impreza WRX for a number of years, although lately I think he has been punting a Renault Clio Sport. Check the Sydney WRX web site and go from there!

My old boss Don Grieg used to punt a Mini back in the 60's and 70's. Hasn't raced for a little while (still has his FF Elwyn 004 from new, gathering dust!) but he recently bought the ex Cooper brothers Camino Gold Mk II Cooper S - a road car, not a racer. Still he would come out for a look-see!

#15 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:53

Originally posted by Magee
Just a reminder that unless you save all those Mini's DownUnder they'll end up on display on the outside walls of restaurants. This one is just down the road from my quaint abode.
:evil:

Hey Magee, you Vancouver area, Canada people can be so cruel :(

What sort of food they sell? Ministrone, Miniute Steaks ....:-)

#16 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 09:57

You should get Lakis Manticas as well. He is an active member of the WRX club and has been supersprinting a hot Impreza WRX for a number of years, although lately I think he has been punting a Renault Clio Sport. Check the Sydney WRX web site and go from there!

My old boss Don Grieg used to punt a Mini back in the 60's and 70's. Hasn't raced for a little while (still has his FF Elwyn 004 from new, gathering dust!) but he recently bought the ex Cooper brothers Camino Gold Mk II Cooper S - a road car, not a racer. Still he would come out for a look-see!

Thanks Paul, already done that, met Lakis at an All Wrex day at Wakefield (hundreds of the little rocketships). He is on side - seemy PM - this stuff maybe should be a little discreet.

Tell ya boss to be prepared to come along - I am goig to suggest that special treatment be accorded Mini's on the day. :rotfl:

#17 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 18:32

Of course, you know, mon ami, that Canada is bilingual. The restaurant is French and has a driver to pick up its customers in a minibus and the serveuse wears a minijupe. Bon jour. :kiss:

#18 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 451 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:24

Thanks Paul, already done that, met Lakis at an All Wrex day at Wakefield (hundreds of the little rocketships). He is on side - seemy PM - this stuff maybe should be a little discreet.

Tell ya boss to be prepared to come along - I am goig to suggest that special treatment be accorded Mini's on the day. :rotfl:

Mick, I probably didn't make it clear that Don Grieg raced a Mini back in the 60's before going on to FV and eventually FV. (Don used to be friendly with John Leffler.) My old barber Greg Bowerman raced Minis as well, and I remember him restoring one in the '80s as well (when I was a kid.)

Another Alfa racer who started off racing Minis was Ron Gillard. He runs Ballina Car Care and would be contactable as well. :)

#19 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:28

You should find Lynn Brown and the Simmons brothers too...

And Phil Ward raced a Mini once. It was the only way he could get to run at Bathurst in 1973.

Advertisement

#20 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:09

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Send more? Are you gluttons for punishment? Nasty !!

275 etc... you'll find John Leffler still running his suspension or steering shop in Riverwood.

Ahhhh, Herne Bay yes there are a couple of suspension shops there but none with Leffler in the name.

Another who raced Minis famously was John French, of course... but I don't think you'll get him behind the wheel... he's also tiring out, he's got to be older than Foley.

It would still be very good to see these guys come along - what about Laurie Stewart??

I don't really see people dragging their old Mini's out from retirement. It is more about inviting some past "legends" along to add tp the occaision or to maybe present trophies etc

Lakis Manticas? You should be able to find him easy enough... found,

Ross Wittig? He was a star in the crossflow head days... hmmmmm, must have been looking the other way? there is a lot I don't remeber from the 60's & 70's :cool:

Mike Hunt? Or was that Mick Hunt? Not Eric Hunt... anyway, he was another who raced them at Amaroo. So you HAVE seen American Graffitti !!! :p

Don Holland, now there's one you will get... he turned up at Wakefield the other day in a FFord, you should have seen him! Or at least he entered...yep, number 5, circulated quite well

Then again, who'd drive a Mini after having driven an openwheeler? Nicki Lauda !! that's who!! :up:

Oh, yeah... this bloke...not to mention our own Black Jack in the Formula Junior engined Mini days.

Now where is this event going to be held? Eastern Creek I guess? You'll need a lot of Minis to fill that circuit! Here's the tough part - about 36 with the track density of the Creek. However, if we were to get up near there........weeeeeelllll.

#21 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:23

Mick, I probably didn't make it clear that Don Grieg raced a Mini back in the 60's before going on to FV and eventually FV. (Don used to be friendly with John Leffler.) My old barber Greg Bowerman raced Minis as well, and I remember him restoring one in the '80s as well (when I was a kid.)

Another Alfa racer who started off racing Minis was Ron Gillard. He runs Ballina Car Care and would be contactable as well. :)

Paul, keep em coming!! Don't recall Don but then again it was a long time ago and I did have my favourites - Hey we used to barrack for Allen Barrow in the Humpy Holden!! (Hi Phil!). Vaguely remember Bowerman and definately remember Ron Gillard very well.

The bottom line here however is that you will need to have a Group N elgible Mini and obviously a current Racing Licence (it is not mean't to be a trackday, if it gets up, it is going to be part of the HSRCA program on the day. Cheers :up:

#22 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:12

No, never seen American Grafitti... not at all...

By the way, it's Niki Lauda... and did Brabham really race a Mini? I thought he'd left Coopers before they got the Mini Cooper going?

For the Simmons brothers and Lynn Brown, start by asking in the workshop at Arthur Garthon Motors, Hurstville... either John or Geoff (I think it's Geoff...) lives there...

#23 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 17:16

We are, I trust, talking about real Minis - not the BMW abortion.

#24 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 20:22

Originally posted by D-Type
We are, I trust, talking about real Minis - not the BMW abortion.

Yes we are talking about true Minis - Group N eligible, however, comma, I wouldn't go as far as using the A word to describe the Bini - I'd have one tommorrow! :rolleyes:

#25 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 20:27

No, never seen American Grafitti... not at all...

Ohhhh OK, like I've never been in a Pub :rolleyes:

By the way, it's Niki Lauda... and did Brabham really race a Mini? I thought he'd left Coopers before they got the Mini Cooper going? Thanks for the spell check Ray. Yes Jack drove a Formula Junior powered Min for Cooper - without consulting a reference, I believe this is what lead to the development of the Mini Cooper.

For the Simmons brothers and Lynn Brown, start by asking in the workshop at Arthur Garthon Motors, Hurstville... either John or Geoff (I think it's Geoff...) lives there...

Thanks - Lynn is still a regular competitor at the Historics AFAIK

#26 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 20:30

Paul.....getting too focused here.........the HSRCA also runs Regularity which Don Greig could probably run in if he was keen

Bob Holden is another significant contributor to the Mini Legend......I suppose he is still in Northern Sydney

#27 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,414 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 20:48

Lynn Brown is one of the most dedicated racing drivers I've ever known...

For Bob Holden, start looking at Burrell Creek... might be a business listing under his name.

Paul Gulson? He's sure to be in it...

#28 Bondy

Bondy

• 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 06:26

Hi Guys,

My ears or eyes got attention when i seen Mike Hunt's name mentioned. He is a mate of mine, lives in the western suburbs of Melbourne these days and about 5 mins from me. He does'nt use a computer much, but i'll give him a call, i know he would be very interested in attending. Mike is very much into model building, has been for years and has built some brilliant scale examples of his Mini, the Laurie O'Neil 935, Moffs 77 XC to name a few, although since meeting me he has purchased a few diecast versions, hehe.

I'll just have to get him to get his Licence againt, hehe

#29 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 07:14

Lynn Brown is one of the most dedicated racing drivers I've ever known...right! but does he still have a Mini or access to a Mini otherwise he just might have to be one of the legends...errhh.....personalities...one of those!!

For Bob Holden, start looking at Burrell Creek... might be a business listing under his name. No there ain't but found him thanks.

Paul Gulson? He's sure to be in it... refuses to answer emails!! :

#30 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:22

Originally posted by Bondy
Hi Guys,

My ears or eyes got attention when i seen Mike Hunt's name mentioned. He is a mate of mine, lives in the western suburbs of Melbourne these days and about 5 mins from me. He does'nt use a computer much, but i'll give him a call, i know he would be very interested in attending. Mike is very much into model building, has been for years and has built some brilliant scale examples of his Mini, the Laurie O'Neil 935, Moffs 77 XC to name a few, although since meeting me he has purchased a few diecast versions, hehe.

I'll just have to get him to get his Licence againt, hehe

If anyone is interested in VIC ask them to contact either Ted Brewster, Nick Stillwell, Anthony Ramadge.... :up:

#31 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2003 - 12:32

:) Blimey!! Things are moving apace!!!

Now we have the prospect of two All Mini Races in 2004.

About 3 years ago there was an all Mini race at Qld Raceway with approx 16 cars including the NSW boys. Henry Draper won the 8 lap event after a very exciting and close race with Andrew Bergan. Unfortrunately Andrew pulled out 3/4 race distance with engine problems and
Henry went on to win. Henry was right on Andrews tail and the race could have gone either way at flag fall.

The following year there was a Mini - Torana challenge which also was very successful, approx 12 Minis competed. Both races are still talked about not only amongst the Mini & Torana drivers
but spectators who were at these meetings say it was one the best racing they have seen for a long time.

The HRCC (Qld) via Bill Westerman - President, has stated there will be another Mini race at the July 2004 Historic Meeting at Qld Raceway. Also being discussed is two round all Mini Challenge(like the old East Coast Challenges) in the 80's.

There are still a number of past 60 + 70's Mini drivers in Qld who may attend the Qld meeting (eg Barry Broomall & John French)

The Mini Owners Club (Qld) Inc will be supporting the event once again and could donate trophies etc and conduct a Show & Shine.

#32 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,212 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:00

:) Blimey!! Things are moving apace!!!

The HRCC (Qld) via Bill Westerman - President, has stated there will be another Mini race at the July 2004 Historic Meeting at Qld Raceway. Also being discussed is two round all Mini Challenge(like the old East Coast Challenges) in the 80's.

The Mini Owners Club (Qld) Inc will be supporting the event once again and could donate trophies etc and conduct a Show & Shine.

:lol:

Well things are now moving imperceptibly slow for Sydney!!

Don't know if this idea was a casualty of the current track licencing debacle, but it probably wil not happen.

So sad - too bad

Still, you can see Minis racing at the Historic meetings and that's a bonus!!! Cheers!