Photo

Most World Champs in a single pic?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 22:54

Sometime ago I've seen a photo from the early 90s (as Piquet was wearing a Benetton overall) with 7 or 8 different World Champs. Curiously, Alain Prost was missing on that one (was he just too little or what? :confused: :p ). Off the top of my hat, there were Fangio, Brabham, Stewart, Piquet, Senna, Hulme and perhaps Hunt on a single pic lined up as active drivers usually do at the start and the end of the season (two rows).

Do you know more photos of that kind? I find them quite..err..interesting. :)

Advertisement

#2 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 23:08

I guess you have seen this photo in the 199091 edition of Autocourse. It was taken at the 1990 Australian Grand Prix, which was the 500th World Championsip race. The world champions present were James Hunt, Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme, Nelson Piquet and Jackie Stewart. You're right, Alain Prost was missing from the picture despite that he competed in the Australian Grand Prix.

#3 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 23:20

I've a picture somewhere with every living world champion in it from a few years back. It was taken at a black tie event probably FIA or FOCA related.

Schumacher unbelievably does not wear a tie and is grinning like a goon making him stand out like a sore thumb. I'll see if I can find it.

#4 cjpani

cjpani

• 2,456 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:17

Posted Image

#5 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 02:43

Originally posted by Geza Sury
It was taken at the 1990 Australian Grand Prix, which was the 500th World Championsip race. The world champions present were James Hunt, Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme, Nelson Piquet and Jackie Stewart. You're right, Alain Prost was missing from the picture despite that he competed in the Australian Grand Prix.

Posted Image

#6 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 03:09

I'm in that Adelaide shot! Pity I'm a spec of colour in the grandstand ;) I was sitting right across from the brake marker.

There's 5 in this shot. Two of whom are sadly no longer with us.

Posted Image

#7 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 03:13

I guess you have seen this photo in the 199091 edition of Autocourse. It was taken at the 1990 Australian Grand Prix, which was the 500th World Championsip race. The world champions present were James Hunt, Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna, Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme, Nelson Piquet and Jackie Stewart. You're right, Alain Prost was missing from the picture despite that he competed in the Australian Grand Prix.

ISTR the story at the time being that Prost had opted out of the photo because it included Senna (the Australian GP was the next race after their acrimonious collision at the start of the Japanese GP). I remember thinking at the time that if that was true, then Alain might regret that decision at some time in the future.

#8 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 06:27

Originally posted by bira
Posted Image

Thanks for the pic, Bira :up: There's a slightly different one in the Autocourse book, where Senna holds Fangio's arm and raises it to the air.

#9 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:55

Thanks for the pics. :kiss:

On a side-note: I think a racing driver has to look like Graham Hill. :up:

#10 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 13:08

also to note that only three of those champions are still with us..... :(

#11 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 15:56

Thanks for the pic, Bira :up: There's a slightly different one in the Autocourse book, where Senna holds Fangio's arm and raises it to the air.

:)

Posted Image

#12 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:09

Posted Image

ok, only two World Champions on the picture, but this must have been the driving lesson of the highest qualification level ever.

#13 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:12

Weren't the pictures taken in 1991, when Prost had been sacked by Ferrari???

And I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway. -- Peter Gabriel

#14 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:23

Originally posted by uechtel
ok, only two World Champions on the picture, but this must have been the driving lesson of the highest qualification level ever.

great pic, too. :up:

good to see graf berghe von trips -wehn i said earlier that race drivers have to look like hill i didnt mean that they couldnt look either as berghe von trips. :up:

#15 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:29

Originally posted by Breadmaster
also to note that only three of those champions are still with us..... :(

hulme is dead?!

#16 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:36

Can anyone say who the gentleman in the spectacles is?
And who is the child? Is it, perhaps, a Christening party?

Yes, holiday - Denny died of a heart problem (I think) during a race at Bathurst (that's to say - at the wheel but not as the result of an accident).

#17 lukywill

lukywill

• 6,660 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:46

5: prost, piquet, mansell, hakkinen and senna at 91'phoenix gp
Posted Image
( http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=62888 )

#18 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 16:58

In fact, of those in bira's picture no longer with us - Hulme was the first to go, wasn't he?

#19 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 17:38

Originally posted by 2F-001
Can anyone say who the gentleman in the spectacles is?

well, that´s Huschke von Hanstein, the only non-Grand-Prix winner in that group.

And who is the child? Is it, perhaps, a Christening party?

Just count the world champions on that picture and you should be able to find out!

Seems that the driving lesson was indeed quite effective... :D

Advertisement

#20 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:08

Sorry! How dense of me... :drunk:

#21 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:23

Don't the "Club International Anciens Pilotes Grand Prix" do a group picture at their annual meeting in Monaco? If yes, I would love to see some:)

#22 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:27

In fact, of those in bira's picture no longer with us - Hulme was the first to go, wasn't he?

I would have thought that is was James, but you're right - it was Denny - 11 year and some days ago.

How time flies, I doesn't seem that long ago that I saw him slumped at the wheel, the BMW gently bumping into the Armco....

#23 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:33

I think the last time I saw him must have been when he won the TT with Jeff Allam.

#24 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:42

If anyone has a picture of the start of the British Grand Prix in 1970 (although I'm sure there are a few other racesthat fit the bill) showing the whole field - you'll have a pic with five previous champions and three future ones.

(I know that isn't quite what was meant...)

#25 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:43

Originally posted by conjohn
How time flies, I doesn't seem that long ago that I saw him slumped at the wheel, the BMW gently bumping into the Armco....

I hasten to add that I saw that on TV; I was not in Australia... the last time, in the flesh, would have been at the British GP at Brands in 1974...

#26 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:49

Originally posted by uechtel
Posted Image

So that's where Damon got his skills.... Bonnier... of course, that figures.... Swedish driving skills... :lol:

#27 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 18:59

Originally posted by fines
Weren't the pictures taken in 1991, when Prost had been sacked by Ferrari???

No, the picture is definately from 1990. Just look at Piquet, who is in blue overalls, while in 1990 he had "Camel" decals in his yellow racewear.

Denny Hulme has died in 1992. From the WATN website:

Died: 04 Oct 1992, Bathurst Circuit, New South Wales, Australia.
Died of a heart-attack whilst racing in the 1992 Bathurst 1000km.

Thanks for the pic, Bira :up: I wonder why has Piquet been cut off from the left side ;)

#28 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 19:46

Originally posted by Bernd
I've a picture somewhere with every living world champion in it from a few years back. It was taken at a black tie event probably FIA or FOCA related.

Schumacher unbelievably does not wear a tie and is grinning like a goon making him stand out like a sore thumb. I'll see if I can find it.

It was 1990, first of all, Michael - Prost was in a huff that weekend, perhaps for very fair reasons.

Yes, we've lost 4 of those in the picture, but when you look at that picture - you think "If I told you that Fangio would die in 5 years time but THREE of those with him, would've predeacesed him in 3 an a half years from this picture being taken, would you believe me?"
(Hulme 92, Hunt 93, Senna 94, Fangio 95 - Barry Sheene was also that weekend & if you add the drivers pic with everyone AND the champions in - I think Prost was in... then Alboreto is also gone, just 11 years later...) :cry:

Bernd, you're right - it was for the NSPCC, I think.... Ecclestone & Prince Andrew & Patrick Head were in it, but it was not every living champion, a few didn't turn up, but you right about Schumi & the tie - it was the most past champions, however, in one picture - I have it at home but no scanner but there were:

Prost, D Hill, P Hill, Brabham, Hakkinen, Jones, Villeneuve (Looking very smart indeed!), Rosberg & Scheckter, Schumacher & Stewart - 11.
No Fittipaldi, Andretti, Surtees, Mansell, Piquet or Lauda there for numerous reasons - but one of those wanted money to turn up & it wasn't one of the first three :rolleyes:

#29 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 19:56

Whilst I am really not a fan of Mansell, I would have thought he'd be reasonably willing to turn out for a Children's charity if he was able to. So...

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 21:02

Originally posted by bertocchi
In the 'Bernd photo' that would appear to be Jim Hall in the back next to BIG DAN. Is it? Masten Gregory looks photoshoped although he probably isn't. Where and when was that photo taken. Thanks.

A bit naughty of Bernd to revive this picture without explanation. :p We have actually dissected this one before, but it dates back to well before Photoshop and was recently republished in "Formula 1 - Unseen Archives"

You can find the beginning of the discussion here in the Amon thread.

#31 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 10:42

That was pretty noble of Senna, wasn't it? Would MS do the same now?

I love those group pix from the sixties - but I hate going across them going "dead, dead, dead, dead..."

Thanks everyone for posting these pictures (I've pinched them for my own collection.)

Bruce Moxon

#32 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:05

If anyone has a picture of the start of the British Grand Prix in 1970 (although I'm sure there are a few other racesthat fit the bill) showing the whole field - you'll have a pic with five previous champions and three future ones.

(I know that isn't quite what was meant...)

Or the 1966 British GP. Seven past and future champions in the first eight places on the grid.

Guess the intruder?

Dan Gurney

#33 Bernd

Bernd

• 3,313 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 23:15

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
Bernd, you're right - it was for the NSPCC, I think.... Ecclestone & Prince Andrew & Patrick Head were in it, but it was not every living champion, a few didn't turn up, but you right about Schumi & the tie - it was the most past champions, however, in one picture - I have it at home but no scanner but there were:

Prost, D Hill, P Hill, Brabham, Hakkinen, Jones, Villeneuve (Looking very smart indeed!), Rosberg & Scheckter, Schumacher & Stewart - 11.
No Fittipaldi, Andretti, Surtees, Mansell, Piquet or Lauda there for numerous reasons - but one of those wanted money to turn up & it wasn't one of the first three :rolleyes:

Yeah that sounds like it.. Can't remember where mine is though and haven't had time to look for it.

I didn't remember that so many were missing, shame...

#34 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 23:47

Originally posted by holiday

hulme is dead?!

Sorry, yes, Denny passed during a touring car race (the Bathurst 1000, in Australia) some years ago-- actually , shortly after the picture in querstion was taken. I believe it was April or so of 1992. He was in the middle of the race, felt a heart attack coming and quietly pulled over to die.

#35 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 1,033 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 19:39

Originally posted by delaner

Sorry, yes, Denny passed during a touring car race (the Bathurst 1000, in Australia) some years ago-- actually , shortly after the picture in querstion was taken. I believe it was April or so of 1992. He was in the middle of the race, felt a heart attack coming and quietly pulled over to die.

Bathurst is usually October (the Pommie said confidently) and I think it was in this case as well. The beginning of a rather sad twelve months, the end of which is connected to the Innes Ireland thread elsewhere.

I recall the Nigel Roebuck story of James Hunt arriving at Denny's London memorial service "less than suitably dressed" having cycled there. He nipped round the corner to change and emerged suitably immaculate. Not all that long afterwards, it was James' memorial service that was taking place, with Innes reading the lesson...knowing already that his own time was near.

They say bad luck comes in threes and, of course, most of the time they're talking complete b*****ks. But not this time.

APL

#36 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 20:58

Alan's right - it was October 4th 1992. Which probably just confirms the old confusion over dates when they're written as numbers: 4/10/92 in Britain is October 4th - in the States it's April 10th. :

#37 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 21:23

Oh dear. My history needs some brushing!

No, I don't think I got the date backwards... I simply thought I remembered it being early in the year. As I remembered it, I heard around the time of Long Beach (the LBGP)... But maybe I didn't hear for six months. I don't really recall now.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight!

At least we know the Bear died doing what he loved.

#38 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 20:01

Posted Image

#39 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2003 - 21:57

And a World Champion Constructor, to boot!

Go Tyrrell!!!!

Advertisement

#40 caneparo

caneparo

• 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 02:03

Posted Image

WOW what a funny pic! who are all these guy, i just recognized Hulme regazzoni stewart lauda depailler. Who are the other??? is there Watson and Peterson and Scheckter????

#41 caneparo

caneparo

• 94 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 02:09

Originally posted by bira

Posted Image

very nice pic, i had seen previously but i never asked myself who had the idea of putting hunt beside stewart: there is a big embarassing height difference!!!!!

Goodbye
Antonio

#42 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 06:44

Posted Image

WOW what a funny pic! who are all these guy, i just recognized Hulme regazzoni stewart lauda depailler. Who are the other??? is there Watson and Peterson and Scheckter????

I'll take a stab at it:
Back row: Redman (or Ken Tyrrell) , Watson, Edwards, ?, Hunt (?), Hill, Depailler, ?, Purley, Regazzoni.
Front row: Scheckter, Bell, Lauda, Stewart, Peterson, Mass (?), Hulme.

The guy between Edwards and Hunt (?) looks like Piquet, but surely that's too early for him to be in such august company, since this must, at the latest, be in the summer of '75.

#43 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,336 posts

Posted 27 October 2003 - 07:46

Originally posted by conjohn

I'll take a stab at it:
Back row: Redman (or Ken Tyrrell) , Watson, Edwards, ?, Hunt (?), Hill, Depailler, ?, Purley, Regazzoni.
Front row: Scheckter, Bell, Lauda, Stewart, Peterson, Mass (?), Hulme.

The guy between Edwards and Hunt (?) looks like Piquet, but surely that's too early for him to be in such august company, since this must, at the latest, be in the summer of '75.

:wave: Tyrrell Watson Edwards Hailwood Hunt Hill Depailler Gethin Purley Regazzoni

Brise Bell Lauda Stewart Peterson Mass Hulme

Well that is my Guess. :up:

#44 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 23:26

In relation to this thread, Rob Young (ry6) asked Malcolm Kinsey - who now has given him permission to display his photo of the start of the 1968 South African GP. ;)

You should be able to identify some 7 World Champions, past and present, there : Jackie Stewart, Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, Denny Hulme, Jochen Rindt and John Surtees.

Posted Image

#45 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 01:31

Originally posted by delaner

Wasn't he the first FIA World Champ to die of natural causes? At that time, they were all still alive, or had died in accidents?

#46 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,209 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:08

Originally posted by MrAerodynamicist

Wasn't he the first FIA World Champ to die of natural causes? At that time, they were all still alive, or had died in accidents?

He was. Sometimes I think Fangio is the only one simply as Hulme & Hunt went so early in life, but Hulme was indeed the first.

#47 doohanOK

doohanOK

• 2,133 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 17:57

So has anyone got that recent photo with Ecclestone, Prost, Villeneuve, Schumacher, Jones, Rosberg and co only a few years back? Surely somebody has a link to a photo on the net?

regards,
doohanOK.

#48 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 18:12

2F-001 wrote:If anyone has a picture of the start of the British Grand Prix in 1970 (although I'm sure there are a few other racesthat fit the bill) showing the whole field - you'll have a pic with five previous champions and three future ones .

I very much doubt that more than eight past, reigning or future World Champions have ever competed in the same race (though if anyone knows otherwise....). What makes the 1970 British GP meeting notable as well, though, is that the suuporting F3 race also boasted two future champions: a little-known Austrian in an obscure car called a McNamara and a tall English ex-public school chap running on something of a shoe-string. Ten World Champions on one race-card - can't be bad!

#49 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,957 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 18:43

I remember seeing a really nice picture of Graham Hill and a very young Damon Hill pushing a laughing Jimmy Clark on pedal tractor. Can't remember where I saw it now.

Anyone else seen this one?

#50 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 20:57

Originally posted by BorderReiver
I remember seeing a really nice picture of Graham Hill and a very young Damon Hill pushing a laughing Jimmy Clark on pedal tractor. Can't remember where I saw it now.

Anyone else seen this one?

I posted it on RaceSimCentral - it's in "Jim Clark Remembered" by Graham Gauld.