Photo

The 1964 GP Season and RVM

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 16:43

Having created something of an informal series of "Past Seasons" with looks at 1959, 1961, and 1982 on the GP side, the next season is 1964. There are several obvious reason for that selection, of course, the first being that it will have been four decades past when the series finally appears. The second is that it was quite an interesting season, with the GP circus descending upon Mexico City with several drivers still in contention for the CSI's WDC.

While I do have much on the season -- easily way more than enough do the series justice, alas, my copies of Autosport and MotorSport from that year have gone to the great warehouse of lost boxes in the sky. I am very interested in the MotorSport reports and the letters of DSJ and any of the various tidbits and so forth from Autosport, naturally. I would appreciate any help with this since I want to do as good a job as possible on this.

Don't look for scads of techno-geek stuff since that has never been exactly my forte. I fully fathom the basics and some of the tricks of the time, but there have always been others far better at that sort of thing than Yours Truly, so I am happy to let the Experts speak clearly versus this amateur mumble. Should anyone wish to address some of this sort of material, I am always willing to give credit where credit is due.

It goes without saying that those expecting to see only 10 events covered, those comprising the CSI WDC for that season, will be disappointed since the many other non-championship events will also take their proper place on the stage. Indeed, it takes a good while before we even get to the first championship round of the season. Also, in a blinding flash of the obvious, since the GP world existed within a universe populated with other racing worlds, an attempt will be made to point out where these worlds intersected from time to time, the F2 race at Reims in July being simply one of the many times these worlds brushing up against other that changed the course of things.

I am giving serious thought to replicating other seasons should this one go well, especially those ending in a '4' naturally. The 1954 GP season is one that seems to have much to commend for itself. And the same could be said for the 1974 GP season and the 1984 F1 season -- please note the subtle way in which I refer to these seasons. Come to think about it, the 1934 GP season would be a good season to write about, particularly with the introduction of a new formula by the CSI, the coming of the Germans, and the fact that this is all happening in the midst of a period of significant economic deprivation when entertainment was eagerly sought by so many.

Perhaps the 1924, 1934, and 1954 AAA and the 1964 and 1974 USAC National Championship seasons along with the 1984 CART season could be looked at as well as the 1964 USRRC season along with the Fall Pro Season...

Wait, this was supposed to be simply a request for assistance with some materials for the 1964 GP season.....

As always, my thanks for your gracious assistance in the past.

Advertisement

#2 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 21:51

There was certainly plenty happening outside Formula 1: the first races of the Ford GT and the first McLaren car, the arrival of Jackie Stewart and Jochen Rindt, not to mention Peterborough United beating Arsenal in the FA Cup. How do you stop?

I'd love to help with this Don.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 21:56

My 1964 Motor Sports and whatever expertise I possess are at your disposal, Colonel :)

Roger: are you on some sort of mission to mention bloody football in as many threads as possible? :p

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 23:00

Jean-Maurice has generously offered his assistance in addition to both Richard and Roger. I have a feeling that I will need it! Thanks!

#5 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 23:47

Richard, Don

My experience tells me that the logical thing to do would be to send to Don the full 1964 Motor Sport binded magazines, let him have a calm look at whatever he feels might be of use and then return it when finished.

Of course, goes without saying, I have no problem whatsoever, I´ll be actually delighted, on submitting my 1964 MS binded copies to the boss by courier as soon as he says "do it" ;)

Plus, those magazines do really need to live some transatlantic experiences :lol:

#6 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:01

Whoa! :eek:

#7 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 03:48

Felix, You would really do that? Really? :eek:

#8 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 19:28

Of course, Don. I´m serious (in this) ;)
Just PM where do you want the binded magazines sent, I´ll send it by courier to you on Monday.
Then you can take your time...
As some other Forum Members might tell you, that is a system in which I believe. It has never worked out wrong.
un abrazo
Felix

#9 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 20:28

Here is something that I decided to commit to paper last night which, (1) sets out the GP events I am looking at, and (2) the first cut at listing the references in my own small research library here in the office -- rather incomplete and without any of the magazines and so forth:

Events

II Daily Mirror Trophy, 1964.03.14, Snetterton

I News of the World Trophy, 1964.03.30, Goodwood

XIII Gran Premio di Siracusa, 1964.04.12, Syracuse

XIX British Automobile Racing Club (B.A.R.C.) “200,” 1964.04.18, Aintree

XVII International Trophy, 1964.05.02, Silverstone

* XXII Grand Prix de Monaco, 1964.05.10, Monte Carlo

* Grote Prijs van Nederland, 1964.05.24, Zandvoort

* Grand Prix de Belgique, 1964.06.14, Spa-Francorchamps

* L Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France, 1964.06.28, Rouen-les-Essarts

* XIX Royal Automobile Club British Grand Prix, 1964.07.11, Brands Hatch

XIII Grosser Preis der Solitude, 1964.07.19, Solitude

* XXVII Grosser Preis von Deutschland, 1964.08.02, Nûrbringring

III Gran Premio del Mediterraneo, 1964.08.16, Pergusa

* VII Grosser Preis von Osterreich, 1964.08.23, Zeltweg

* XXXIV Gran Premio d’Italia, 1964.09.06, Monza

* VII United States Grand Prix, 1964.10.04, Watkins Glen

* III Gran Premio de Mexico, 1964.10.25, Mexico City

VII Rand Grand Prix, 1964.12.12, Kyalami

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

References

Ian Bamsey, Lotus 25 Coventry Climax FWMV: A Technical Appraisal, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: J.H. Haynes & Company, 1990.

Jack Brabham with Elizabeth Hayward, When the Flag Drops, New York: Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, 1972.

Jim Clark, Jim Clark at the Wheel, New York: Pocket Books, 1966.

John Cooper with John Bentley, The Grand Prix Carpetbaggers, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1977.

William Court, Power and Glory, The History of Grand Prix Motor Racing, Volume 2: 1952 – 1973, Wellingborough, Northhamptonshire: Patrick Stevens, 1990.

Gerard “Jabby” Crombac, Colin Chapman: The Man and His Cars (Re-issue), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2001.

Robert Edwards, Managing A Legend: Stirling Moss, Ken Gregory and the British Racing Partnership, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 1997.

Bruce Grant-Brabham, Lotus: A Formula One Team History, Ramsbury, Marlborough, Wiltshire: The Crowood Press, 1994.

Graham Gauld, Jim Clark: The Legend Lives On (Third Edition), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Patrick Stephens, 1992.
Stan Grayson, Editor, Ferrari: The Man, The Machines, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton Publishing, 1975.

Alan Henry, Brabham: The Grand Prix Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1985.

Alan Henry, Ferrari: The Grand Prix Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1984.

David Hodges, The French Grand Prix 1906 – 1966, London: Temple Press Books, 1967.

David Hodges, The Monaco Grand Prix, London: Temple Press Books, 1964.

Mike Lang, Grand Prix! Volume 1 1950 – 1965, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 1981.

Mike Lawrence, Colin Chapman Wayward Genius, Derby: Breedon Books, 2002.

Mike Lawrence, Grand Prix Cars 1945-65, Bourne End, Bucks: Aston Publications, 1989.

William F. Nolan, Phil Hill: Yankee Champion (Revised, Expanded Edition), Carpinteria, California: Brown Fox Books, 1996.

Doug Nye, The Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-65, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1993.

Doug Nye, The British Grand Prix 1926 – 1976, London: B.T. Batsford, 1977.

Doug Nye, B.R.M., The Saga of British Racing Motors, Volume 2 – Spaceframe Cars 1959 – 1965, Croydon: MRP Publishing, 2003.

Doug Nye, Cooper Cars (New Edition), London: Osprey Publishing, 1983.

Doug Nye, Dino: The Little Ferrari, Scarsdale, New York: John W. Barnes, Jr. Publishing, 1979.

Doug Nye, Famous Racing Cars, Wellingborough, Northhamptonshire: Patrick Stevens, 1989.

Doug Nye, Jim Clark, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1991.

Doug Nye, McLaren: The Grand Prix, Can Am and Indy Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1984.

Doug Nye, The Story of Lotus: 1961 – 1971, Growth of a Legend, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Robert Bentley, 1972.

Doug Nye, Theme Lotus 1956 – 1986 From Chapman to Ducarouge, Croydon, England: Motor Racing Publications, 1986.

Doug Nye, The United States Grand Prix and American Grand Prize Races 1908 – 1977, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1978.

Anthony Pritchard, Grand Prix Ferrari, New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1974.

Heinz Prûller, Jochen Rindt, London: William Kimber, 1971.

Tony Rudd, It Was Fun! My Fifty Years of High Performance, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2000.

Leonard Setright, Ferrari, New York: Ballantine Books, 1971.

L.J.K. Setright, The Grand Prix Car 1954 – 1966, New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1968.

Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati, A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing: Volume 7, 1960 – 1964, Esholt, Shipley, West Yorkshire: St. Leonard’s Press, 1991.

Louis T. Stanley, Grand Prix: The 1964 World Championship, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1965.

Hans Tanner, Ferrari (Fourth Edition), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: G.T. Foulis, 1974.

Jonathan Thompson, The Ferrari Formula 1 Cars 1948 – 1976, Tucson, Arizona: Aztec, 1976.

John Tipler, Lotus Racing Cars: Club Racers to World Champions 1948 – 1968, Thrupp, Stroud, Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing, 2000

Eoin Young, McLaren! The Man, the Cars & the Team, Newport Beach, California: Bond, Parkhurst Publications, 1971.

I will collate and insert the events swirling about on the periphery very soon, as well as the appropriate references that are needed.

I am seriously considering seeing if I can add "sidebars" to this puppy so that some depth of a specific, particular sort can be delved into when appropriate. These I think I would like to "contract" out to the Real Experts if this can be done.

Once again, there are those of you out there who an enormous wealth of knowledge that often surpasses mine by lightyears on some topics, so I am all eyes & ears and have no problem whatsoever with giving credit where it is due -- and splitting the fee..... :rotfl:

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 21:41

Also the first year of the Tasman Cup...

Matich arrives, is offered test in Europe for F1.

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 23:04

Wantny pitchas?

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 23:10

Anything special of Dan at Rouen?

Or FJ at the 'ring?

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 31 October 2003 - 23:12

Don: you can add to your available bibliography the following relevant titles, all in my library:

Graham Hill, Life at the Limit, London, William Kimber, 1969

Peter Miller, Aces Wild - The story of the British Grand Prix, London, Pelham Books, 1972

Graham Gauld, Jim Clark Remembered, Cambridge, Patrick Stephens, 1975

Cyril Posthumus, German Grand Prix, London, Temple Press, 1966

Louis Stanley, Strictly off the Record, London, Salamander, 1999

John Tipler, Graham Hill - Master of Motor Racing, Derby, Breedon Books, 2002

Eoin Young, McLaren! Newport Beach, Bond Parkhurst, 1971

#14 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 00:45

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Wantny pitchas?

I am cheap and can be had....

#15 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 00:46

Richard, I just might be be asking for your help on several of those. Thanks!

#16 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 02:00

Zeltweg is a small town in the approximate middle of Austria (Styria) which is fortunate enough to possess one of the few bits of flat ground available and thus a military airfield....with its rather debilitated hangers and looming hills, it struck a familiar note to the Californians present and after some puzzled staring at each other, Richie Ginther, Phil Hill and I all exclaimed together, "Burbank!"

This started us looking around furtively for Eleanor von Neumann, Chuck Manning, Beezie Addison, and other vanished figures of that bygone era, as empty spaces, conspicuous lack of piplatzen, and serried rows of straw bales took us back to the bad old days of airport club racing.

Ah, one of the reasons I picked this season, HNM in full stride......

PS: The latest status on the references since I added some of the magazine articles....

References

Ian Bamsey, Lotus 25 Coventry Climax FWMV: A Technical Appraisal, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: J.H. Haynes & Company, 1990.

Pete Biro, “Laguna Seca ‘Monterey Grand Prix,’” Sports Car Graphic, January 1965.

Alice Bixler, “Ah Penske, Ah Chaparral, Ah Nassau,” Road & Track, March 1965.

John Blunsden, “5th London Racing Car Show,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

John Blunsden, “Cooper Type 72 Formula 2 and 3,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

John Blunsden, “Four Wheel Drive: Grand Prix BRM,” Sports Car Graphic, November 1964.

John Blunsden, “Grand Prix Forecast,” Sports Car Graphic, July 1964.

John Blunsden, “Ian Raby’s Brabham BRM,” Sports Car Graphic, June 1964.

John Blunsden, “John Surtees: The Quiet Champion,” Sports Car Graphic, February 1965.

Griff Borgeson, “Ferrari Looks at ’64,” Road & Track, April 1964.

Jack Brabham with Elizabeth Hayward, When the Flag Drops, New York: Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, 1972.

Jack Brady, “Dinosaurs Die Hard: Indy 500,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The 24 Hours of Le Mans,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “European Forecast,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “European Grand Prix: Brand Hatch, England,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Ferrari 1964,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Bernard Cahier and Franco Villani, “Ferrari Formula I V-8,” Sports Car Graphic, July 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The German Grand Prix: Nurburgring,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Gran Premio de Mexico,” Sports Car Graphic, January 1965.

Bernard Cahier, “Grand Prix de Belgique: Spa-Francorchamps,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Grand Prix Formula I Honda,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Grand Prix of Holland: Zandvoort,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Grand Prix of Monaco,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Italian Grand Prix: Monza,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Rouen 50e Grand Prix de l’ACF,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

John Christy, “Nassau Speed Week,” Sports Car Graphic, March 1965.

Dennis J. Cipnic, “Gran Premio de Mexico,” Road & Track, January 1965.

John Cooper with John Bentley, The Grand Prix Carpetbaggers, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1977.

William Court, Power and Glory, The History of Grand Prix Motor Racing, Volume 2: 1952 – 1973, Wellingborough, Northhamptonshire: Patrick Stevens, 1990.

Gerard “Jabby” Crombac, Colin Chapman: The Man and His Cars (Re-issue), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2001.

R.B. Crossman, “Honda Formula I,” Sports Car Graphic, May 1964.

James T. Crow, “About The Sport,” Road & Track, May 1964.

James T. Crow, “About The Sport,” Road & Track, September 1964.

James T. Crow, “West Coast Pro Season,” Road & Track, January 1965.

Robert Edwards, Managing A Legend: Stirling Moss, Ken Gregory and the British Racing Partnership, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 1997.

Lawrence Follett, “Bruce McLaren Wins Tasman Cup,” Road & Track, June 1964.

Bruce Grant-Brabham, Lotus: A Formula One Team History, Ramsbury, Marlborough, Wiltshire: The Crowood Press, 1994.

Graham Gauld, Jim Clark: The Legend Lives On (Third Edition), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Patrick Stephens, 1992.

Geoff Goddard, “The Office: Cockpit Comparisons of the Formula I Cars,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Stan Grayson, Editor, Ferrari: The Man, The Machines, Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton Publishing, 1975.

Don Grey, “Canadian Grand Prix,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Don Grey, “Mosport: The Players 200,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Alan Henry, Brabham: The Grand Prix Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1985.

Alan Henry, Ferrari: The Grand Prix Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1984.

David Hodges, The French Grand Prix 1906 – 1966, London: Temple Press Books, 1967.

Tony Hogg, “Grand Prix of the United States,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Tony Hogg, “Indianapolis 500,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Mike Lang, Grand Prix! Volume 1 1950 – 1965, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 1981.

Mike Lawrence, Grand Prix Cars 1945-65, Bourne End, Bucks: Aston Publications, 1989.

Joseph Lowrey, “The New Grand Prix Formula,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “A Tribute to Tim Mayer,” Road & Track, May 1964.

Karl Ludvigsen, Bruce McLaren: Life and Legacy of Excellence, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2001.

Karl Ludvigsen, Dan Gurney: The Ultimate Racer, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2000.

Henry N. Manney, “22e Grand Prix de Monaco,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “24 Hours of Le Mans,” Road & Track, September 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Ferrari’s Plans for ’65,” Road & Track, March 1965.

Henry N. Manney, “Gran Premio d’Italia,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Austria,” Road & Track, November 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Belgium,” Road & Track, September 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Europe, Road & Track, October 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Germany,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Holland,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Honda Formula I,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Gunther Molter, “Grosser Preis von Õsterreich: Zeltweg,” Sports Car Graphic, November 1964.

William F. Nolan, Phil Hill: Yankee Champion (Revised, Expanded Edition), Carpinteria, California: Brown Fox Books, 1996.

Doug Nye, The Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-65, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1993.

Doug Nye, B.R.M., The Saga of British Racing Motors, Volume 2 – Spaceframe Cars 1959 – 1965, Croydon: MRP Publishing, 2003.

Doug Nye, Dino: The Little Ferrari, Scarsdale, New York: John W. Barnes, Jr. Publishing, 1979.

Doug Nye, Famous Racing Cars, Wellingborough, Northhamptonshire: Patrick Stevens, 1989.

Doug Nye, McLaren: The Grand Prix, Can Am and Indy Cars, Richmond, Surrey: Hazelton Publishing, 1984.

Doug Nye, The Story of Lotus: 1961 – 1971, Growth of a Legend, Cambridge, Massachusetts: Robert Bentley, 1972.

Doug Nye, Theme Lotus 1956 – 1986 From Chapman to Ducarouge, Croydon, England: Motor Racing Publications, 1986.

Doug Nye, The United States Grand Prix and American Grand Prize Races 1908 – 1977, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1978.

Darrell Penhale, “The International Season ‘Down Under,’” Sports Car Graphic, May 1964.

Heinz Prûller, Jochen Rindt, London: William Kimber, 1971.

Road & Track, “1964 Grand Prix Cars,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Road & Track, “Charles Cooper,” Road & Track, January 1965.

Road & Track, “Graham Hill,” Road & Track, February 1965.

Road Track, “A Honda for Formula One,” Road & Track, May 1964

Road & Track, “Jim Clark,” Road & Track, March 1965.

Road & Track, “Ronnie Bucknum Joins Honda Team,” Road & Track, June 1964.

Tony Rudd, It Was Fun! My Fifty Years of High Performance, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2000.

L.J.K. Setright, The Grand Prix Car 1954 – 1966, New York: W.W. Norton & Company, 1968.

W.R.C. Shedenhelm, “Riverside Grand Prix for Sports Cars,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Paul Sheldon and Duncan Rabagliati, A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing: Volume 7, 1960 – 1964, Esholt, Shipley, West Yorkshire: St. Leonard’s Press, 1991.

Louis T. Stanley, Grand Prix: The 1964 World Championship, Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1965.

Louis T. Stanley, Strictly Off the Record: Grand Prix Controversy and Intrigue, Osceola, Wisconsin: MBI Publishing, 1999.

Hans Tanner, Ferrari (Fourth Edition), Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: G.T. Foulis, 1974.

Jonathan Thompson, The Ferrari Formula 1 Cars 1948 – 1976, Tucson, Arizona: Aztec, 1976.

John Tipler, Lotus Racing Cars: Club Racers to World Champions 1948 – 1968, Thrupp, Stroud, Gloucestershire: Sutton Publishing, 2000

Jerry Titus, “Ronnie Bucknum and the Formula 1 Honda,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

John Tomerlin, “Honda’s Bucknum,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Mike Twite, “Grand Prix of France,” Road & Track, September 1964

Eoin Young, McLaren! The Man, the Cars & the Team, Newport Beach, California: Bond, Parkhurst Publications, 1971.

Sherrie Zuckert, “The 12-Hours of Sebring 1964,” Sports Car Graphic, June 1964.

Sherrie Zuckert, “United States Grand Prix,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

#17 rmhorton

rmhorton

• 343 posts

Posted 01 November 2003 - 03:11

Don,

You know, I am not sure why I remember this, whether from a photograph, or from the TV coverage, but one of my abiding memories of the '64 season is Jimmy getting it all crossed up coming into the hairpin at the bottom of the hill at Rouen. There his is with an armfull of opposite lock, his mouth wide open and his little Lotus in extremis.......

Of course he was leading, and of course he gathered it up like he always did - and his later his Lotus broke.

1964 was a good year and I am sure you will do it justice.

Roger

#18 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 02:36

Buried somewhere in my research "stuff" are the details of the Mayfair Scale which was adopted at the end of 1963 for the 1964 season. However, for the life of me, I can't find it. The Mayfair Scale replaced the Monte Carlo Scale after discussions held in London -- guess why it was called the Mayfair Scale -- and finalized in Paris between the organizers and teams concluded in late 1963. The Mayfair Scale continued with the three groups as laid out in the Monte Carlo Scale, but also added the provision of paying for drivers and cars separately, the drivers being paid on a scale according to their points achieved in the previous season's WDC, and the teams being lumped into groups also based upon the previous season's standings. However, there was nothing to prevent an organizer from "sweetening the pot" for teams or drivers...... Any help appreciated....

#19 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 02:03

Don, I will be pleased to look at what I have on this. Would the Mayfair Scale be the same as The London Agreement?

Advertisement

#20 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 03:57

Dennis,

It is quite possible that it was also referred to as such, but most references I have call it the "Mayfair Scale." However, knowing the ways of the world back then, I would not be at all surprised to find the London Agreement and the Mayfair Scale being the same thing. I have some information on this, but not enough to have the "warm & fuzzy" that I generally like to have on such items, especially to find Roger giving me the old ex post facto, "....by the way, I know that you really meant to say...."

Thanks!

#21 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 14:27

Originally posted by Don Capps
.... Roger giving me the old ex post facto, "....by the way, I know that you really meant to say...."

Thanks!

The ones to be really scared of start with: "I wasn't aware that ....." :lol:

#22 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 17:19

Originally posted by Vitesse2
The ones to be really scared of start with: "I wasn't aware that ....." :lol:

Exactly!

#23 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 00:29

Don, I finally had the opportunity to check all of the usual reference suspects for some info on your query, and I cannot find a blasted thing. I have seen some fleeting references somewhere on the Mayfair Scale, but at present I haven't found a thing.

References aplenty on the Monte Carlo Scale, a tiny bit on the Frankfurt Scale, but nada on the Mayfair Scale.

DCN made a reference to the London Agreement a while back, perhaps a PM will provide the answer.

Sorry.

#24 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 00:48

Without any issues of Autosport at hand, Peter Garnier at Autocar seems to be the only Scribe very concerned with this aspect of the sport. In the 10 July 1964 issue of Autocar, Garnier lays out some of the basics.....

* That the organizing clubs generally only paid for a specific number of startings -- the number the RAC was paying for was 20 at Brands Hatch -- and you had to be invited to even compete for one of those spots in the first place. At Brands Hatch, there were 20 invited and a further four would be admitted if they lapped during practice with a time not more than five seconds over the third fastest lap recorded during the qualifying sessions.

* Rather than the "Mayfair Scale" as he had called it earlier, it is now the "Paris Scale." Cars are divided into two groups, Category 1 and Category 2 according to their performance in the previous season. In Category 1 each car gets 800 pounds per start and in Category 2 each car gets 600 pounds per start. In addition, drivers get 20 pounds per point earned in the previous year's championship with a maximum of 450 pounds and a minimum of 150 pounds.

* Prize money for Brands Hatch was awarded for 1st thru 6th: 1000, 500, 300, 200, 150, and 100 pounds respectively. An additional 100 pounds for the fastest lap on each day of practice with 100 botles of champagne also going to the driver setting the fastest lap during the first day of practice.

This is pretty much most of the specifics I have managed to dig out on first checking the materials.

No one ever said this was going to be easy....

#25 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:07

Don, have you reviewed pages 139 to 141 of "All Arms and Elbows" by Innes?

#26 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 01:11

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
Don, have you reviewed pages 139 to 141 of "All Arms and Elbows" by Innes?

Alas, my copy went missing after we moved from Fort Stewart to Charleston -- or was it Fort Bragg to Fort Stewart? Anyhow, it was in a box that never made it from point A to point B.

#27 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:54

Without any issues of Autosport at hand, Peter Garnier at Autocar seems to be the only Scribe very concerned with this aspect of the sport.

Of course, Garnier was Secretary of the GPDA - I am fairly certain that was still true in 1964 - so he would have particular insight on the matter and, of course, unique access.

#28 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 19:54

Dennis,

It is quite possible that it was also referred to as such, but most references I have call it the "Mayfair Scale." However, knowing the ways of the world back then, I would not be at all surprised to find the London Agreement and the Mayfair Scale being the same thing. I have some information on this, but not enough to have the "warm & fuzzy" that I generally like to have on such items, especially to find Roger giving me the old ex post facto, "....by the way, I know that you really meant to say...."

Thanks!

The ones to be really scared of start with: "I wasn't aware that ....."

You asked for this. :)

The Mayfair scale was in two parts , one for cars, the other for drivers.

Works cars (Brabham, BRM, Cooper , Ferrari and Lotus) normally received £600 percar. A make of car with two grandes epreuves (presumably all championship races count as grandes epreuves) in a season received an extra £200. At the start of 1964,therefore the works Lotus and BRM were worth £800. In working out this qualification, one win was counted as two seconds, one second to two third places. Therefore if Brabham who had two seconds in 1963 had won one of the early 1964 races they would have qualified for the extra £200.

Only three makes could qualify for the £800 rate at any one time, and in the event of a "tie" constructors' championship points would be the deciding factor.

The scale for drivers was a little more complicated :lol:

There was a minimum rate of £150, but drivers qualified for bonuses at the rate of £20 per championship point scored, up to a maximum of £450. In addition, the reigning world champion got an extra £100 and all past world champions an extra £50. Drivers could take account of teir championship points of either the current championship season or the past six months.

This scale operated for all international formula 1 events (including non-championship) and was to be considered a minimum. British constructors were thought likely to accept a small reduction for home events because of the reduced travelling costs.

At least, that's how Motor Racing magazine described it.

#29 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 20:27

Roger,

Thanks!

It appears that the "Mayfair Scale" or "Paris Scale/Arrangement" was about as simple as you (and Motor Racing) explained it.... :rotfl: ....and I will post some of my other findings in a day or so and perhaps we can piece it together....

#30 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 00:05

Here is the calendar with the South African races included, several of which even Peter McIntosh admits knowing very little about....

1964.01.04, I Cape South Easter Trophy, Killarney

1964.02.29, VI Rand Autumn Trophy, Kyalami

1964.03.14, II Daily Mirror Trophy, Snetterton

1964.03.30, I News of the World Trophy, Goodwood

1964.03.30, XII Coronation “100,” Pietermaritzburg

1964.04.12, XIII Gran Premio di Siracusa, Syracuse

1964.04.18, XIX British Automobile Racing Club “200,” Aintree

1964.05.02, XVII International Trophy, Silverstone

1964.05.03, I Mashonaland “100,” Marlborough

* 1964.05.10, XXII Grand Prix de Monaco, Monte Carlo

* 1964.05.24, Grote Prijs van Nederland, Zandvoort

1964.06.01, III South African Republic Festival Trophy, Kyalami

* 1964.06.14, Grand Prix de Belgique, Spa-Francorchamps

1964.06.??, I Marlborough June Race, Marlborough

1964.06.21, III Royal Show Trophy, Pietermaritzburg

* 1964.06.28, L Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France, Rouen-les-Essarts

* 1964.07.11, XIX Royal Automobile Club British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch

1964.07.13, VII Border “100,” East London

1964.07.19, XIII Grosser Preis der Solitude, Solitude

1964.07.26, V Coupe Gouvernador Genérale, Lourenço Marques

1964.08.01, VI Rand Winter Trophy, Kyalami

* 1964.08.02, XXVII Grosser Preis von Deutschland, Nûrbringring

1964.08.16, III Gran Premio del Mediterraneo, Pergusa

* 1964.08.23, VII Grosser Preis von Osterreich, Zeltweg

1964. 08.23, I August “120,” Pietermaritzburg

* 1964.09.06, XXXIV Gran Premio d’Italia, Monza

1964.09.19, XIII Van Riebeeck Trophy, Killarney

* 1964.10.04, VII United States Grand Prix, Watkins Glen

1964.10.10, IV Rand Spring Trophy, Kyalami

* 1964.10.25, III Gran Premio de Mexico, Mexico City

1964.11.29, V Rhodesian Grand Prix, Kumalo

1964.12.12, VII Rand Grand Prix, Kyalami

* Event counting towards the World Drivers’ Championship

#31 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 00:55

I have had complete brain fade: who was "M.J.T." at MotorSport? I know I will be embarrassed, but I simply cannot get my brain in gear on this one.... :blush:

#32 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 06:23

It's your baby Don, but it seems to me you've combined two separate lists, one of events in which some or all the works teams and established privateers took part, and the other a domestic series contested by local drivers. If you you incorporate the ZA series you should presumably include even more obscure 1500 races from elsewhere in the world - English club races, eg.

#33 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 07:39

I have had complete brain fade: who was "M.J.T." at MotorSport? I know I will be embarrassed, but I simply cannot get my brain in gear on this one.... :blush:

I think that MJT was michael Tee, son of the publisher and primarily a photographer. Not to be confused with MLT, who was Mike Twite.

#34 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 12:27

Originally posted by Roger Clark

I think that MJT was michael Tee, son of the publisher and primarily a photographer. Not to be confused with MLT, who was Mike Twite.

That's the name which came into my mind too. IIRC he normally did the GP reports for Motoring News, but subbed for DSJ on the trans-Atlantic races as well as doing his own job. Why did Jenks never go to the USA anyway?

#35 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 14:11

Here is the calendar with the South African races included, several of which even Peter McIntosh admits knowing very little about....

I have seen (in paper) what you mean by "knowing very little about". I would suggest that you contact Robert Young (ry6) because I am sure that between him and Frank Hoal they will shade some light on the "obscure" events -as they have been doing in the last couple of years with Frank´s account´s of the several SA Drivers´Championships... (presently dealing with 1963...);)

#36 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 14:43

Originally posted by David McKinney
It's your baby Don, but it seems to me you've combined two separate lists, one of events in which some or all the works teams and established privateers took part, and the other a domestic series contested by local drivers. If you you incorporate the ZA series you should presumably include even more obscure 1500 races from elsewhere in the world - English club races, eg.

David,

The ZA events were a series (with its share of non-championship events it seems) actually run -- at least in spirit -- to the stipulations of the CSI F1. While I don't plan to do much with them, neither do I intend to ignore them. I don't see them remotely being comparable to the 1,500cc classes in Britain or elsewhere.

Having said that, however, your thoughts mirror my first thoughts on this when I saw the gaps in the material that I have managed to gather. Actually, it was more of a groan since I had this remote hope that the ZA championship formula was along the libre that season -- even though I realized that was perhaps wishful thinking.

Doodling with this earlier this morning, the approach I am currently looking at is to mention the ZA events moreorless in passing as part of The World Scene with some attention devoted to the Rand GP in December.

As to the list itself, I think that to concentrate on just the events in the CSI WDC series is to miss the essence of the times, if you will. Whenever I read something to the effect that "Monaco was the first GP/F1 event of the year," I always think about the dented, crunched, or written-off chassis, blown engines, and damaged suspension parts lying about in bins in the various workshops.....

I will probably continue to waffle on this (the ZA thing) until I can't and I have to make up my mind -- an honest answer. I am taking the liberty of talking out loud in the hope of having some sane voices -- like yours, David -- point out some blinding flashes of the obvious to me....

Thanks,

Don

#37 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 15:02

I don't know whether this will be of any help to Don, or whether it's of any interest to anybody else, but I enjoyed compling it. It's a trawl through the news pages of Autosport for the first six months of 1964. I've concentrated on items relating to Grand Prix racing but included others that took my fancy. There is no pretence at completeness, rumours and news stories are side-by-side.

The significant, the trivial and the complete bollocks of Jan-June 1964:

Jan 3
Baghetti to drive Centro Sud BRM
Bonnier to stay with Rob Walker, driving Brabham-BRM
Tim Mayer to drive Cooper
Continental rumours that Graham Hill is to join Ferrari
Ford GT announced
Prince Chula dies
Jan 10
Ken Gregory resigns as Moss’ manager
Reg Parnell dies
Daily Mail to sponsor European GP
Alfred Neubauer retires
Paddy Driver concentrates on two wheels for 1964
Andre Wicky buys two Lotus 24s; one BRM powered and ex-Filipinetti, the other Climax powered and ex-Collomb.
Jan 17
Ferrari announce plans for 1964
Jan 24
Scarfiotti hopes to race Ferrari prototypes and Centro Sud BRMs
Trevor Taylor joins BRP
Bob Anderson to race Brabham
Lotus to use Honda engines (Rumour)
Jan 31
1964 Cooper to be monocoque built by aircraft firm (rumour)
Alan Rollinson buys ex-Raby Gilby and will fit 5-litre Chevrolet
Mike Eyre and Jackie Epstein buy ex-Marsh BRM, will race in non-championship F1
Formula 1 Register formed, founder members K P Sheldon, D Rablagiatti, J E Thompson
Neville Lederle retires
Feb 7
Les Grands Prix de France announced (F2 chamionship)
Rob Walker to run two Brabham BRMs for Bonnier, with Colotti-Francis gearboxes
Formula 1 Constructors Association formed.
Reg Parnell Racing to continue, at the express wish of Reg. Directors are Tim Parnell, Mike Hailwood and Gillian Harris. Team has two Lotus 25s and will build new monocoque designed by Les Redmond
Abarth to build F2 car
Team Lotus to use new cars for 1964 Type 25B
Revson Racing (America) formed, to race Tim Parnell’s Lotus 24
Kuhnke Racing formed to contest F1 with Lotus 18 and 24. Borgward engines purchased from bankrupt company.
British race organisers to adopt Mayfair scale
Feb 21
Nothing
Feb 28
Maserati abandon V12 F1 engine project
Jim Clark tests 25B at Goodwood
Gunther Seifert to drive Lotus-Borgward for Kurt Kuhnke in F1
Mar 6
Tim Mayer dies
Maurice Farman dies
BMC to build F2 engine
Mar 13
Rumour: Jim Clark rolls Lotus Cortina six times at well known Sussex track – while trying to avoid Colin Chapman who had spun a similar car.
Equipe Scirocco Belge to race Scirocco Climax. Cars being modified in Tim Parnell’s workshops
Ferrari F1 (V6) on test
F1 Honda on test in Japan
New racing tyre from Dunlop the R6, wider and will fit 13-inch wheels
Interview with Jackie Stewart (“The Club Driver’s Attitude”)
Snetterton F1 report
Letter from Paul Sheldon
Mar 27
Phill Hill joins Cooper
1965 American Grand rix will be held at Indianapolis Raceway Park
Jim Clark and Graham Hill playing table tennis at Springfield Boys Club.
Apr 3
Tony Maggs may replace Phil Hill at Centro sud
Foreign rumour: Honda F1 for Monaco
Four wheel drive on world famous F1 car this season
In 1966 World Championship Grand Prix races must be a minimum of 300kms, max 400kms
Auto-Kits produce 100 BRMs a week
Goodwood report
Apr 10
4WD BRM announcd
Unlikely that Ferrari will use V6 engines again in F1
Pau F2 report
Apr 17
Pictures of Abarth F2 car
John Love wins Coronation 100
Description of GP Cooper
Syracuse GP
Apr 24
Ronnie Bucknum testing GP Honda
Le Mans test day
Aintree 200
May 1
Alf Francis acquires ATS engines and gearboxes; plans to install them in Cooper chassis
Japanese rumours: Honda to make debut in Belgian GP. Jack Brabham to drive.
Jim Clark’s Lotus 30 disqaulified from Aintree race – engine cover flew off. Fine of £10 imposed.
Eifelrennan
Targa Florio
May 8
Unlikely that Brabham will drive Honda following success of Brabham cars
Bruce McLaren to install Oldsmobile engine in Cooper-Zerex special
Cutaway drawing of new Cooper
International Trophy
May 15
Honda F1 to be race in Belgium – Masten Gregory to drive (rumour)
Monaco Grand Prix
Tony Vandervell an interested and thoughtful visitor to Monaco
Kevin Keegan hopes to convert Elans and Elites to racing spec (sorry Vitesse2)
BARC Webbair offer day return trip to Dutch GP: 17½ Gns
May 22
Allard Dragon breaks 12 seconds for standing ¼-mile. DSJ beard threatened
Jim Clark, Bill Bradley and Sally Stokes pictured in a boat in Mallory Park lake
Jim Clark fastest qualifier at Indianapolis
Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart win 4 of 5 races at Mallory Park
Unknown Austrian wins F2 race at Crystal Palace
May 29
Official announcement from Honda: Bucknum will drive at Spa.
Dutch GP
June 5
Honda ask for British GP regulations
McLaren tests cooper-Oldsmobile
Indy 500
Berlin GP (qualifier for French F2 championship0
Nurburgring 1000kms
June 12
Slimmer, lighter BRM expected for Spa, 4WD for Brands
F1 testing at Brands
Airfix introduce models of W125 Mercedes and 1936 A-U for slot racing series
Possibility of third race in December South Africa series
McLaren Cooper-Olds wins first race
June 19
Quite likely that 1965 French GP will be at Clermont-Ferrand
Le Mans AC Cobra does 185 mph on M1
RAC will allow advertising on American dragsters, but not British cars
Jackie Stewart beaten
AJ Foyt to dive John Mecom’s Hussein 1 at Brands Hatch
M Tritingnant wins Mont Ventoux hill climb in his F1 BRM
John Surtees hopes to have 12-cylinder Ferrari at Brands Hatch
Belgian GP
June 26
Italian rumours: MV Augusta have installed air cooled V8 in F1 Lola chassis. Mike Hailwood testing
Rules committee of USAC recommend 3-litre limit from 1967
Les 24 Heures du Mans

#38 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 15:33

Roger,

Being deficit any copies of Autosport for 1964, but having had (most of -- the post office always lost one or two a year it seems) them at one point, I can see in my mind's eye much of what you recorded. Which is one reason writing this thing is a real challenge since I keep getting sidetracked by tidbits that surface and make me say, "Whoa! Is that neat or what?!" which means another hour or two or so spent doing "research"......

Something that I had forgotten was the thin, narrow string upon which the Brabam GP team seemed tp hang in the Winter of 1963/1964, although it seems that period of the Brabhams team's life seems to just sweep by in the various chronicles. Or, am I imagining things again?

Thanks of this wonderful list, Roger. It is just the sort of thing that I tend to thrive upon.

Regards,

Don

#39 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 12:01

Something that I had forgotten was the thin, narrow string upon which the Brabam GP team seemed tp hang in the Winter of 1963/1964, although it seems that period of the Brabhams team's life seems to just sweep by in the various chronicles. Or, am I imagining things again?

In his column in motor Racing (Feb 1964), Brabham said that the team had suffered in '63 because they had insufficient engines and mechanics at the races. This would have to change for the new season. I'm not aware of any new money coming into hte team that year (presumably there was Goodyear money in '65) but reliability and results were both much improved in '64. Sales of customer cars were increasing in '64 so it is possible that MRD was, directly or indirectly, supporting BRO. It is also likely that tey benefitted from increased starting money following the introduction of the Mayfair scale. Jack would have got an extra £50 a race as an ex-world champion!

Advertisement

#40 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 20:04

Here's the second half of the year.

July 3
CSI reviewing equivalency formulae for rotary and turbine powered cars for 1966 formula
Editorial suggests that GP races should be two heats and a final.
French GP was Climax overtake Alfa as most successful GP engine
BRM testing 4WD car
French GP
July 10
Death of Glenn “Fireball” Roberts
Edward E Mayer joins board of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing
1965 USGP to be at Watkins Glen, not Indianapolis
Reims
July 17
Ronnie Bucknum says Honda is on its way from Japan for German GP
Jackie Stewart tries Lotus 25
Large party to celebrate Chris Amon’s 21st
Grand Prix of Europe
July 24
Peter Arundell has leg operation in St George’s Hospital Hyde Park
Honda on test at Zandvoort
Solitude
Auvergne F2; Hulme wins, Stewart (first F2 race) 2nd
July 31
Jean-Claude Rudaz laps Miramas at 145.69mph in Cooper-Climax F1
Earl Howe dies
Doghouse fete
Aug 7
Eoin Young, Bruce McLaren and others stage party in Surbiton. Hilarious evening ensues.
Jochen Rindt to drive for Rob Walker in Austrian GP
Jim Clark wins BRSCC Saloon Car Championship
Carel Godin de Beaufort dies
Italain GP regulations limit of 15 starters, all must qualify within 15% of 2nd fastest.
Guards Trophy
German GP
Aug 14
CSI reject homologation of Ferrari 250LM
Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd moves to Feltham
Peter Arundell recovering in Ewing Ward St George’s Hospital. Visitors allowed
Simplification of Appendix J
Karsloga
Aug 21
Campaign to save Aintree
M Trintingnant wins Mont-Dore hill climb in BRM
Graham Hill taken to hospital after testing crash at Snetterton
Mediterranean GP
Aug 28
Bruce to build first McLaren car
Grosser Preis von Osterreich
Sept 4
John Love to replace Phil Hill in Italian GP
A new BRM for Monza
V W Derrington in partnership with Alf Francis – hope to have ATS at Monza.
TT
Sept 11
Italian GP
Works-entered Ferraris will never again race in Italy
Jim Redman testing Honda at Monza
Rumours that Richie Ginther will leave BRM to join Honda, place to be taken by Jackie Stewart
Sept 18
First picture of McLaren 1
Sept 25
Jackie Stewart joins BRM for 1965
Rumours that Meyer-Drake will build engine for 1966 F1
Peter Arundell back in St George’s Hospital
Chris Craft mistaken for Beatle on visit to America
Gold Cup
Oct 2
Enzo Ferrari demands that his competition licence is revoked.
Oct 9
John Surtees voted Driver of the Year by Guild of Motoring Writers
Peter Arundell leaves hospital
Charles Cooper dies
US Grand Prix
Oct 16
Peter Lindner, Franco Patria and three French Commissaires killed.
New Formula 2 for 1966
Goodyear trying to enter F1
J Brabham and B McLaren to share Sunbeam in London – Brighton
BRP to build Indianapolis car
Oct 23
Richie Ginther states he has not received a firm offer from Honda
Oct 30
Mexican GP
BRM F2 engine announced
Moss disbands SMART
Nov 6
Jochen Rindt favourite to join Cooper next year
C-Climax Flat 16 to undergo first tests next month. No design changes to allow for supercharging have been made
Jo Siffert to join Rob Walker for 1965
Next years Canadian GP may be for F1 cars
John Frankenheimer considering motor racing film
Peter Arundell goes back to hospital.
Elva to build McLaren
Nov 13
Brabham denies retirement stories
Nov 20
BRP likely to withdraw from F1
Racing cars feature in London’s Lord Mayor’s Show
Nov 27
Willment acquire F1 Brabham,
Lotus press conference; Chapman doubtful whether Team will continue in 1966
John Surtees third in Daily Express Sportsman of the Year.
Dec 4
Honda may miss SA GP
New F2 delayed until 1967
Mike Hailwwod forgoes Tasman engagement. Local promoters not interested in Chris Amon
Dec 11
Graham Hill’s Christmas present for Lorenzo Bandini: an LP album of advanced driving lessons
Cosworth moving to Northampton
Jim Clark slips disc while throwing snowballs
BRP withdrawal confirmed
Dec 18
Mike Parkes drives Ferrari 275B from Modena to Rome in two hours
Bobby Marshman killed
Gurney, Brabham and Hulme to drive in F1 next year. Five cars to be built, three V8, one 16, one a spare for either engine
Rand GP
Dec 25
Letter from GPDA to Bandini – Bandini resigns from GPDA
Amon joins McLaren
John Surtees will probably race Tyrrell F2 Cooper
Canadian F1 GP for 25th September

#41 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 22:07

Not strictly speaking directly linked to the 1964 F1 season per se, but how about Jackie Stewart driving a Jaguar XK120 (Eric Brown's much modified DHC registration number 1 ALL) to win a race at Crystal Palace sometime I seem to recall in June 1964. Somehow I cannot imagine any latter day budding future F1 stars doing a 'clubbie' like this in an old car only months away from their F1 debut.

Or how about the fact that at the 1964 British GP at Brands Hatch the obligatory Red Arrows flying display included one of their planes flying into the depression between the the top of Druids and the pit straight beneath the level of the grandstand opposite the start/finish line. I know because I was standing behind said grandstand as it passed over the top not more than 50 feet above it preceded by terrified shreaks and a very loud and synchronised collective intake of breath! Health and safety, never 'eard of it Guv.

#42 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 22:27

Here is the latest bibliography for this project. Needless to say, it is easy to get diverted from the task at hand....

References

James A. Allington, “The Contenders,” Car and Driver, February 1965.

Autocar, “48th Targa Florio,” Autocar, 1 May 1964.

Autocar, “Aintree 200,” Autocar, 24 April 1964.

Autocar, “Belgian Grand Prix,” Autocar, 19 June 1964.

Autocar, “Campbell’s Record,” Autocar, 24 July 1964.

Autocar, “Clark All the Way…,” Autocar, 29 May 1964.

Autocar, “Eighteen Hours at Rheims,” Autocar, 10 July 1964.

Autocar, “F1 Honda,” Autocar, 24 July 1964.

Autocar, “German Grand Prix,” Autocar, 7 August 1964.

Autocar, “Grosser Preis von Osterreich,” Autocar, 28 August 1964.

Autocar, “Hegbourne Wins at AVUS,” Autocar, 5 June 1964.

Autocar, “Italian Grand Prix,” Autocar, 11 September 1964.

Autocar, “Le Mans – How the Cars Performed,” Autocar, 3 July 1964.

Autocar, “Looking at Le Mans,” Autocar, 19 June 1964.

Autocar, “Monaco Grand Prix,” Autocar, 15 May 1964.

Autocar, “Nürburgring 1000 Km,” Autocar, 5 June 1964.

Autocar, “R.A.C. European Grand Prix,” Autocar, 17 July 1964.

Autocar, “Slippery Solitude,” Autocar, 24 July 1964.

Autocar, “Spotter’s Guide to Ten Formula 1 and 2 Racing Cars,” Autocar, 1 May 1064.

Autocar, “Two Out of Three!,” Autocar, 3 July 1964.

Autocar, “United States Grand Prix,” Autocar, 9 October 1964.

Autosport, “3-Litre Indianapolis Limit?,” Autosport, 26 June 1964.

Autosport, “All Eyes on Watkins Glen,” Autosport, 2 October 1964.

Autosport, “Another Indy Win for Offy,” Autosport, 5 June 1964.

Autosport, “Brabham Not to Retire,” Autosport, 13 November 1964.

Autosport, “B.R.P. Withdraw from Formula 1,” Autosport, 11 December 1964.

Autosport, “B.R.S.C.C. Saloon Car Championship, 1964,” Autosport, 20 November 1964.

Autosport, “Bruce McLaren Builds His Own Sports Car,” Autosport, 28 August 1964.

Autosport, “Bruce McLaren’s Cooper – Oldsmobile,” Autosport, 5 June 1964.

Autosport, “Carel Godin de Beaufort,” Autosport, 14 August 1964.

Autosport, “Charles Cooper,” Autosport, 9 October 1964.

Autosport, “Chevrolet & Penske,” Autosport, 18 December 1964.

Autosport, “Dave MacDonald,” Autosport, 5 June 1964.

Autosport, “Elva to Build the McLaren Sports Car,” Autosport, 6 November 1964.

Autosport, “Ferrari Leads Shelby’s Cobras,” Autosport, 31 July 1964.

Autosport, “Ferrari Plans for 1964,” Autosport, 17 January 1964.

Autosport, “Formula 1 Constructors’ Association,” Autosport, 7 February 1964.

Autosport, “Grand Prix Record,” Autosport, 3 January 1964.

Autosport, “Les Grands Prix de France,” Autosport, 7 February 1964.

Autosport, “Grands Prix des France Formula 2 Championship,” Autosport, 9 October 1964.

Autosport, “Indianapolis Changes,” Autosport, 4 December 1964.

Autosport, “ Mexican Lottery,” Autosport, 16 October 1964.

Autosport, “Phil Hill for Cooper,” Autosport, 27 March 1964.

Autosport, “Revson Racing (America),” Autosport, 14 February 1964.

Autosport, “Starting Money and Racing Numbers for Formula 1,” Autosport, 14 February 1964.

Autosport, “Team Lotus 1964,” Autosport, 22 May 1964.

Autosport, “Tim Mayer,” Autosport, 6 March 1964.

Autosport, “Tour de France,” Autosport, 18 September 1964.

Autosport, “World’s Most Successful Grand Prix Engines,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Peter Bakalor, “Brabham Wins at Home,” Autosport, 28 February 1964.

Peter Bakalor, “Brabham’s Lakeside Victory,” Autosport, 6 March 1964.

Peter Bakalor, “Brabham’s Revenge at Sandown,” Autosport, 21 February 1964.

Roger Bell, “McLaren All the Way,” Motor, 8 August 1964.

Peter Berthon, “First Ever British Win This Year?,” Motor, 30 May 1964.

Peter Berthon, “Formula 1: Ferrari’s Year?,” Motor, 2 May 1964.

Pete Biro, “Laguna Seca ‘Monterey Grand Prix,’” Sports Car Graphic, January 1965.

Alice Bixler, “Ah Penske, Ah Chaparral, Ah Nassau,” Road & Track, March 1965.

John Blunsden, “5th London Racing Car Show,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

John Blunsden, “Cooper Type 72 Formula 2 and 3,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

John Blunsden, “Four Wheel Drive: Grand Prix BRM,” Sports Car Graphic, November 1964.

John Blunsden, “Grand Prix Forecast,” Sports Car Graphic, July 1964.

John Blunsden, “Ian Raby’s Brabham BRM,” Sports Car Graphic, June 1964.

John Blunsden, “John Surtees: The Quiet Champion,” Sports Car Graphic, February 1965.

John Bolster, “1964 Grand Prix Cooper,” Autosport, 17 April 1964.

John Bolster, “John Bolster Visits B.R.M.,” Autosport, 18 December 1964.

John Bolster, “Lessons of Le Mans,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Griff Borgeson, “Ferrari Looks at ’64,” Road & Track, April 1964.

Jack Brady, “Dinosaurs Die Hard: Indy 500,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Tony Brooks, “Man at the Top: Jim Clark…,” Autocar, 24 April 1964.

Tony Brooks, “Man at the Top: Jim Clark,” Autocar, 1 May 1964.

Charles Bulmer, “B.R.M. Monocoque,” Motor, 2 January 1965.

Charles Bulmer, “Racing by Computer,” Motor, 30 May 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The 24 Hours of Le Mans,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “European Forecast,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “European Grand Prix: Brand Hatch, England,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Ferrari 1964,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Bernard Cahier and Franco Villani, “Ferrari Formula I V-8,” Sports Car Graphic, July 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The German Grand Prix: Nurburgring,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Gran Premio de Mexico,” Sports Car Graphic, January 1965.

Bernard Cahier, “Grand Prix de Belgique: Spa-Francorchamps,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Grand Prix Formula I Honda,” Sports Car Graphic, October 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Grand Prix of Holland: Zandvoort,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Grand Prix of Monaco,” Sports Car Graphic, August 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “The Italian Grand Prix: Monza,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Car and Driver, “Targa Florio: Pucci and Davis for Porsche,” Car and Driver, July 1964.

Bernard Cahier, “Rouen 50e Grand Prix de l’ACF,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

John Christy, “Nassau Speed Week,” Sports Car Graphic, March 1965.

Dennis J. Cipnic, “Gran Premio de Mexico,” Road & Track, January 1965.

Floyd Clymer and Dustin Frazer, 1964 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Yearbook, Los Angeles: Floyd Clymer, 1964.

R.B. Crossman, “Honda Formula I,” Sports Car Graphic, May 1964.

James T. Crow, “About The Sport,” Road & Track, May 1964.

James T. Crow, “About The Sport,” Road & Track, September 1964.

James T. Crow, “West Coast Pro Season,” Road & Track, January 1965.

David E. Davis, Junior, “Bandini Belts Hill Out of Championship,” Car and Driver, February 1965.

David E. Davis, Junior, “Indianapolis 500,” Car and Driver, August 1964.

David E. Davis. Junior, “United States Grand Prix,” Car and Driver, August 1964.

Edward Eves, “Le Mans – Lessons From the Ordeal,” Autocar, 3 July 1964.

F.G.N. Ewence, “Final Tasman Round to Hill,” Autosport, 13 March 1964.

Lawrence Follett, “Bruce McLaren Wins Tasman Cup,” Road & Track, June 1964.

Peter Garnier, 16 on the Grid, London: Cassell & Company, 1964.

Peter Garnier, “Charles Newton Cooper,” Autocar, 9 October 1964.

Peter Garnier, “The Cost of Racing,” Autocar, 8 January 1965.

Peter Garnier, “European Grand Prix Souvenir Guide,” Autocar, 10 July 1964.

Peter Garnier, “In the Workshop,” Autocar, 5 June 1964.

Peter Garnier, “Indianapolis 500-mile Race,” Autocar, 5 June 1964.

Peter Garnier, “Indy Spectacular,” Autocar, 19 June 1964.

Peter Garnier, “New McLaren Sports Car,” Autocar, 28 August 1964.

Peter Garnier, “Vintage and Historic and Formula 3 at Rouen,” Autocar, 3 July 1964.

Graham Gauld, “What is the Club Driver’s Attitude?,” Autosport, 20 March 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Alan Rees,” Autosport, 11 December 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Best Ever Win for Hart,” Autosport, 14 August 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Brabham’s Albi Grand Prix,” Autosport, 18 September 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Denis Hulme,” Autosport, 27 November 1964.

Bill Gavin, “First F2 Win for Clark,” Autosport, 10 April 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Ferrari V8 for Victory,” Autosport, 17 April 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Hulme’s Day at Auvergne,” Autosport, 24 July 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Jackie Stewart,” Autosport, 31 July 1964.

Bill Gavin, “A Look at Formula 2,” Autosport, 17 April 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Lorenzo Bandini,” Autosport, 4 December 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Monaco F3 Race to Jackie Stewart,” Autosport, 15 May 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Parnelli Jones Dominates Riverside,” Autosport, 16 October 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Penske at Monterey,” Autosport, 30 October 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Peter Arundell,” Autosport, 18 December 1964.

Bill Gavin, “The Rouen Formula 3 Race,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Siffert Shows the Way,” Autosport, 21 August 1964.

Bill Gavin, “Surtees – On the Last Lap,” Autosport, 30 October 1964.

Geoff Goddard, “The Office: Cockpit Comparisons of the Formula I Cars,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Gregor Grant, “B.R.M.’s ‘Double-Double’,” Autosport, 15 May 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Dan’s Day at Rouen,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “A Drama in the Ardennes,” Autosport, 19 June 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Ferrari Field Day,” Autosport, 27 March 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Five Quartet in Top Twenty,” Autosport, 23 October 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Formula 1 Prospects,” Autosport, 13 March 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Goldfinger Brabham,” Autosport, 25 September 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Graham Hill’s Day,” Autosport, 9 October 1964.

Gregor Grant, “The Grand Prix of Europe,” Autosport, 10 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “The Grand Prix of Europe,” Autosport, 17 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Grand Prix Record,” Autosport, 6 March 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Grosser Preis von Osterreich,” Autosport, 28 August 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Hill and Bonnier Do It Again!,” Autosport, 16 October 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Honda at Zandvoort,” Autosport, 24 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “John Surtees – Ringmeister,” Autosport, 7 August 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Le Mans in Retrospect,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Looking Back On Monaco – 1964,” Autosport, 22 May 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Notes on the Austrian Grand Prix,” Autosport, 4 September 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Photo-Finish at Silverstone,” Autosport, 18 May 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Round Two to Jim Clark,” Autosport, 29 May 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Seasonal Survey – 2, Formula 1 Racing,” Autosport, 10 January 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Sebring Flashback,” Autosport, 3 April 1964.

Gregor Grant, “A Splendid Goodwood,” Autosport, 3 April 1964.

Gregor Grant, “A Splendid Watkins Glen,” Autosport, 16 October 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Three for Ferrari,” Autosport, 11 September 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Up and Up!,” Autosport, 31 July 1964.

Gregor Grant, “Les Vingt-Quatre Heures du Mans,” Autosport, 19 June 1964.

Gregor Grant, “World Championship,” Autosport, 13 November 1964.

Peter Greenslade, “1 – 2 for Tasman Coopers,” Autosport, 7 February 1964.

Peter Greenslade, “Denis Hulme’s Levin Victory,” Autosport, 17 January 1964.

Peter Greenslade, “McLaren’s Wigram Trophy,” Autosport, 31 January 1964.

Peter Greenslade, “N.Z.G.P. to McLaren,” Autosport, 24 January 1964.

Don Grey, “Canadian Grand Prix,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Don Grey, “Mosport: The Players 200,” Sports Car Graphic, September 1964.

Tony Hogg, “Graham Hill Wins at Watkins Glen,” Motor, 10 October 1964.

Tony Hogg, “Grand Prix of the United States,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Tony Hogg, “Indianapolis 500,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Roger Houghton, “Willment’s 1 -2 in Rand G.P.,” Autosport, 18 December 1964.

Innes Ireland, All Arms and Elbows, London: Pelham Books, 1967.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The 4-W-D B.R.M.,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “50th French Grand Prix: A Well-Deserved Win,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The 1964 Ferrari Grand Prix Cars,” Motor Sport, May 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The Aintree 200 – April 18th,” Motor Sport, May 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Austrian Grand Prix: Wild and Wooly,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Belgian Grand Prix: An Unsatisfactory Finish,” Motor Sport, July 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “XVII British Grand Prix: A Hard Time for Clark,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, January 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, February 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, March 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, April 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, May 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, June 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, September 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Continental Notes,” Motor Sport, November 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The Dutch Grand Prix: Clark, Lotus and Climax Uncatchable,” Motor Sport, July 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “26th German Grand Prix: Surtees (Ferrari) Wins Again,” Motor Sport, September 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Goodwood International Meeting,” Motor Sport, May 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The Honda Grand Prix Car,” Motor Sport, September 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “The Indianapolis 500-Mile Race (May 30th),” Motor Sport, July 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “35th Italian Grand Prix: Victory Through Strength,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “XXII Monaco Grand Prix: B.R.M. Sweeps the Board,” Motor Sport, June 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “New Grand Prix Cars at Monza,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on the Austrian Grand Prix,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on Brands Hatch,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on the Dutch G.P.,” Motor Sport, July 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on the German Grand Prix,” Motor Sport, September 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on the Italian Grand Prix,” Motor Sport, October 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on the Monaco G.P.,” Motor Sport, June 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Reflections on This and That,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “XIII Siracusa Grand Prix: A Motor Race,” Motor Sport, May 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Snetterton International Meeting,” Motor Sport, April 1964.

Denis S. Jenkinson, “Solitude Grand Prix: A Disastrous Race,” Motor Sport, August 1964.

Gordon Jennings and David Phipps, “’64 Indy Preview,” Car and Driver, June 1964.

Gordon H. Jennings, “Le Mans 24 Hours,” Car and Driver, September 1964.

Gordon H. Jennings, “Riverside: Dan Gurney for Ford,” Car and Driver, April 1964.

Mike Kettlewell, “All Together Again,” Autosport, 1 May 1964.

Mike Kettlewell, “The American Invasion,” Autosport, 31 July 1964.

Mike Kettlewell, :Another T.T. to Ferrari,” Autosport, 4 September 1964.

Mike Kettlewell, “McLaren All the Way,” Autosport, 7 August 1964.

Mike Kettlewell, “Ron Harris – Team Lotus,” Autosport, 14 February 1964.

Roland King-Farlow, “World Championship 1950-64,” Motor, 2 January 1965.

Skip Lange, “Foyt and Fire at the Five-Hundred,” Autosport, 12 June 1964.

Joseph Lowrey, “The New Grand Prix Formula,” Sports Car Graphic, April 1964.

Karl Ludvigsen, Bruce McLaren: Life and Legacy of Excellence, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2001.

Karl Ludvigsen, Dan Gurney: The Ultimate Racer, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset: Haynes Publishing, 2000.

Ozzie Lyons, “Hansgen Dominates Double ‘500’,” Autosport, 2 October 1964.

Ozzie Lyons, “Lotus – Ford Takes Trenton ‘200’,” Autosport, 9 October 1964.

Bob MacGregor, “Ferrari Wins Canadian G.P.,” Autosport, 2 October 1964.

Bob MacGregor, “First Race – First Win,” Autosport, 12 June 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “22e Grand Prix de Monaco,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “24 Hours of Le Mans,” Road & Track, September 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Ferrari’s Plans for ’65,” Road & Track, March 1965.

Henry N. Manney, “Gran Premio d’Italia,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Austria,” Road & Track, November 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Belgium,” Road & Track, September 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Europe, Road & Track, October 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Germany,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Grand Prix of Holland,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Henry N. Manney, “Honda Formula I,” Road & Track, October 1964.

Peter McIntosh with Paul Sheldon, The Golden Age of South African Motor Racing 1960 – 1975, Esholt, Shipley, West Yorkshire: St. Leonard’s Press,1999.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 17 January 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 24 January 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 31 January 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 14 February 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 28 February 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 13 March 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 27 March 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 10 April 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 1 May 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 12 June 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 19 June 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 26 June 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 3 July 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit, Autosport, 10 July 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 14 August 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 4 September 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 11 September 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 18 September 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 9 October 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 6 November 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 18 December 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “From the Cockpit,” Autosport, 22 January 1965.

Bruce McLaren, “A Tribute to Tim Mayer,” Road & Track, May 1964.

Bruce McLaren, “Tribute to Timmy Mayer,” Autosport, 13 March 1964.

Patrick McNally, “Bravo Brabham!,” Autosport, 24 April 1964.

Patrick McNally, “Ferraris First Four at Spa,” Autosport, 22 May 1964.

Patrick McNally, “Formula 3 Question,” Autosport, 10 April 1964.

Patrick McNally, “McLaren 1,” Autosport, 18 September 1964.

Patrick McNally, “Prancing Horse in Britain,” Autosport, 4 December 1964.

Patrick McNally, “Saturated Snetterton,” Autosport, 20 March 1964.

Peter Miller, “Ferrari Again!,” Motor, 29 August 1964.

Gunther Molter, “Grosser Preis von Õsterreich: Zeltweg,” Sports Car Graphic, November 1964.

Günther Molter, “Grosser Preis der Solitude,” Autosport, 24 July 1964.

Motor, “Big Day at Brands,” Motor, 11 July 1964.

Motor, “The Inevitable Clark,” Motor, 11 April 1964.

Motor, “French Blue, Italian Red or British Racing Green?,” Motor, 2 May 1964.

Motor, “New-boy Rindt Shocks the ‘Palace’ Regulars,” Motor, 23 May 1964.

Motor, “Round Two – And No Holding Ferrari,” Motor, 11 July 1964.

Motor, “U.S. Challenge at Le Mans,” Motor, 20 June 1964.

Nielssen, Eric, “Made in Japan,” Car and Driver, January 1965.

Darrell Penhale, “The International Season ‘Down Under,’” Sports Car Graphic, May 1964.

David Phipps, “Belgian Grand Prix,” Car and Driver, September 1964.

David Phipps, “Dutch Grand Prix,” Car and Driver, August 1964.

David Phipps, “Ford G.T.,” Car and Driver, June 1964.

David Phipps, “Grand Prix of Monaco,” Car and Driver, August 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Brands Hatch Spectacular,” Motor, 18 July 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Carel Godin de Beaufort,” Motor, 15 August 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “The Coming of Honda,” Motor, 15 August 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Fantasy at Spa,” Motor, 20 June 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Ferrari Fight Off Ford,” Motor, 6 June 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Gurney’s Revenge,” Motor, 4 July 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Surtees Uber Alles,” Motor, 8 August 1964.

Cyril Posthumus, “Word Championship Luck,” Motor, 15 August 1964.

Heinz Prüller, Jochen Rindt, London: William Kimber, 1971.

Road & Track, “1964 Grand Prix Cars,” Road & Track, August 1964.

Road & Track, “Charles Cooper,” Road & Track, January 1965.

Road & Track, “Graham Hill,” Road & Track, February 1965.

Road Track, “A Honda for Formula One,” Road & Track, May 1964

Road & Track, “Jim Clark,” Road & Track, March 1965.

Road & Track, “Ronnie Bucknum Joins Honda Team,” Road & Track, June 1964.

G. Rogliatti, “Maserati Formula 1 Vee-12 Engine,” Autocar, 15 May 1964.

G. Rogliatti, “Details of the Ferrari Flat-12,” Autocar, 11 September 1964.

Gray E.D. Ross, “An Appraisal of the Mark II Coventry Climax Vee-8 G.P. Engine,’ Autocar, 3 July 1964.

Bob Schilling, “1964: Foyt Holds the Fort,” Dick Wallen, Roar From the Sixties: American Championship Racing, Glendale, Arizona: Dick Wallen Productions, 1997.

W.R.C. Shedenhelm, “Riverside Grand Prix for Sports Cars,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

Steve Smith, “Nurburgring 1000 Kms,” Car and Driver, September 1964.

Steve Smith, “Sebring 1964,” Car and Driver, June 1964.

Walter Spencer, “Indy Stays Trad,” Motor, 6 June 1964.

John Sprinzel, “Ferrari and Ford,” Autosport, 25 September 1964.

Louis T. Stanley, Strictly Off the Record: Grand Prix Controversy and Intrigue, Osceola, Wisconsin: MBI Publishing, 1999.

Christian Strauch, “Tony Hegbourne’s Berlin Grand Prix,” Autosport, 5 June 1964.

Michael J. Tees, “III Gran Premio de Mexico,” Motor Sport, December 1964.

Michael J. Tees, “Grand Prix of the United States,” Motor Sport, November 1964.

John Thompson with Duncan Rabagliati and Dr. K. Paul Sheldon, The Formula One Record Book, London: Leslie Frewin, 1974.

Jerry Titus, “Ronnie Bucknum and the Formula 1 Honda,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

John Tomerlin, “Honda’s Bucknum,” Road & Track, December 1964.

Philip Turner, “Clark Wins With Last Year’s Car,” Motor, 30 May 1964.

Philip Turner, “New BRMs Sweep Clean,” Motor, 16 May 1964.

Philip Turner, “The Seers: A Crystal Gaze at 1964 Racing,” Motor, 2 May 1964.

Paul Watson, “Brabham By a Whisker,” Autosport, 2 October 1964.

Paul Watson, “Brabham’s Karlskoga Win,” Autosport, 14 August 1964.

Mike Twite, “Grand Prix of France,” Road & Track, September 1964

Brock Yates, “Players 200,” Car and Driver, September 1964.

Sherrie Zuckert, “The 12-Hours of Sebring 1964,” Sports Car Graphic, June 1964.

Sherrie Zuckert, “United States Grand Prix,” Sports Car Graphic, December 1964.

#43 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 22:42

Those interested in 1964 would probably enjoy "A Gentleman's Motor-Racing Diary" A series of video-tapes (and perhaps DVDs whatever they are) available from Lastminute.com.

Football is horrible

PdeRL

#44 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 21:49

Don: if it's of any interest, I have found the entire text of the Paris Agreement, dated November 28th 1963 and in force from January 1st 1964. It's reproduced in Chapter 9 of Michael Cooper-Evans' book "Private Entrant" (another eBay bargain!)

#45 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 22:02

I knew I had seen it somewhere..... As possibility of a scan and emailing it?

#46 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 22:12

No problem. Where to? :)

#47 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 00:02

No problem. Where to? :)

Check your PM.

#48 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 21:35

More pestering from me as I drift through this.....

I have found it very easy to get (pleasantly) distracted as I work to fill in the gaps for the activities of this season. Here are a few names that I have been working on to somehow build a "picture" of during 1964:

Ian Raby
Benard Collomb
Jock Russell
Graham Eden
Jackie Epstein
Andre Pilette
Andre Wicky
Jean-Claude Rudaz
"Parker"
Ernst Maring
Giacomo "Geki" Russo
Brian Gubby

Some I have rather fair amount on and others I am just a tad above clueless. Generally, I am trying to find some material on them relevant to their activities during 1964. Sometimes I tend to overlook the obvious or there is some tidbit that I have either overlooked or just flat didn't know that suddenly makes the person "click."

Yes, I am suffering from that dreaded "Do I Really Want to End This Project Since I am Really Enjoying It So Much?" Syndrome.....

Really, as interesting as the GP part of the season was, when you heap everything into the mix, it is even more fascinating....

:rotfl:

#49 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 14:02

Bumping this for an interesting reason...

Over in RC there's a thread about dirty tactics to win championships and I mentioned the Bandini/Hill 1964 crash, but said that it was by all accounts an accident.

as65p states that in the current issue of Motorsport Aktuell Dieter Stappert reports that "Graham Hill told him afterwards how Bandini had outbreaked himself several times before at the hairpin, every time always aiming at Hills car while doing so (not beside it, as would have been normal). Hill allegedly told Stappert "he tried a few times to get me and I drove wider lines each lap. Finally he managed to hit me, damaging my exhausts."

That's certainly a different line to how I've heard it generally.