494 replies to this topic

#451 taylov

taylov

• 604 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:51

For interest...

Posted Image

DCN

Did we find a venue for this? If not, may I suggest the Queensferry 1/2 mile sprint held on the roads around the Shotton Steel works.

From the Chester Car Club website - "One milestone, which survived into the sixties to become one of the oldest Speed events in the North was the Queensferry Sprint, run mostly on the main access road to John Summers Steelworks at Shotton."

Tony

Edited by taylov, 31 July 2011 - 08:55.

Advertisement

#452 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 21:18

Hello Malcolm
I own MVS351 and have long tried to trace M.A.V.Adams. I undertand that he bought my car (in rolling chassis form) from Hugh Clifford (when it came over from Ireland). Your information is the first confirmation that I have seen that his first name was Michael. He lived at Alta Cottage !
Do you have any more information please about Adams or his family ?
The chassis "number 9" for my car is I understand not accurate and was just given by a previous owner to get it road registered. The chassis does in fact have GP rear suspension and those that know far more than me are fairly certain that it is in fact GP4 ie. the 4th GP car that Taylor started but did not complete as such.

Sorry to disapoint, I bought a lot of Alta parts from him around 1963. Living in Lancashire and having purchased two Altas from Hugh Clifford we whent to see the chasis. Hugh at the time thought it was Joe Kellys car. At the time I could not tell F1/F2. i SEEM TO REMEMBER RUBBER BLOCK SUSPENSION .

#453 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:52

The photo in post 452 was taken at Staverton Airfield just outside Cheltenham and shows the Norris Special.

#454 MVS 151

MVS 151

• 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 18:50

Sorry to disapoint, I bought a lot of Alta parts from him around 1963. Living in Lancashire and having purchased two Altas from Hugh Clifford we whent to see the chasis. Hugh at the time thought it was Joe Kellys car. At the time I could not tell F1/F2. i SEEM TO REMEMBER RUBBER BLOCK SUSPENSION .

Dear Malcolm,
Thanks very much for your reply. I am very interested in having any further details of anything you remember. I presume that you saw the chassis before Adams bought it. Is that correct ? Do you remember when that was ?
I think it is fairly clear that it was not Kellys car but I have wondered whether it had any connection to Baird who possibly had an Alta (or just a chassis).
Can you confirm that it came over from Ireland ? Do you have any recollection as to the engine that may have been in the chassis before Hugh Clifford bought it (or who he bought it from ?).
If there is anything more that you could add to the story would it be possible for me to contact you direct ?
Many thanks for your help
Bill

#455 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:08

Sorry another appeal.
Does anyone have any information on a F.C.Russell who raced the original HW-Alta streamliner at Boreham on 21st June 1952.
Was this the only race he ever entered since I can trace no other enteries, did he race other cars and lastly is he still alive?
any news appreciated.

Mike
ps: also posted this on the HWM thread.

#456 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:34

Ted, do you have a date for this event/photo. i am trying to ascertain when the car was fitted with the Lancia front suspension.
thanks - 5*

The photo in post 452 was taken at Staverton Airfield just outside Cheltenham and shows the Norris Special.

#457 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 21:53

Bought this photo recently and on the back is scribbled "Alta Williams Prescott 1950s?" - nothing else.
Posted Image
Checked with the Prescott archivist, Paul Gibbons, who's at a loss to identify the car as no '83' listed in any of the 1950s programmes seems to fit.
Is it an Alta at all I wonder? Maybe it's not even Prescott , although it looks like the first left hander of the Esses.
Anyone got any ideas ?

I drove 62s at PRESCOT in 63 Schofield, Bateson and Clifford drove 62 at one meeting with number 83

#458 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 21:55

I drove 62s at PRESCOT in 63 Schofield, Bateson and Clifford drove 62 at one meeting with number 83

See photo on Facebook Alta Racers

#459 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 23:45

Nice short movie of GPL 3 at prescott.

and 1952 HWM/Alta at Zandvoort

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

ciao - 5*

Edited by fivestar, 22 November 2011 - 23:51.

Advertisement

#460 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:11

I'd forgotten David Ham raced his HWM with the Alta engine before putting a Jaguar back in for 1987

#461 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 648 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 13:04

Didn't Roger Williams re-install the Alta engine? I think he bought the car from the two Majors.

#462 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 16:13

Yes I think you're right
But Ham soon put a Jaguar back in, and it remained thus equipped for many years

#463 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 22:58

Here's another of Oulton park 1960, showing #61[Sutcliffe] and #62[Clifford]

rgds - 5*

http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu

#464 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,333 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 21:50

Alta-related information from a onetime friend of a Fleet Air Arm officer named Nigel Grier-Rees, which appears in a thread concerning the Supermarine Scimitar aircraft on an aviation forum.

This gentleman recalls:

"I knew Nigel G-R in 1961-62 at Lee when he was Flag Leutenant to FOAH and used to drive the Admiral's barge around, a four engined version of the Dove (Devon?).

"Porohman's mention of the Buckler 90 almost certainly referred to Nigel. When I knew him he owned a Lotus 11 sports racing car which he used to compete in club races with me as his mechanic. Although outclassed by the later Lolas he usually gave a good account of himself.but this finally ended at Goodwood when he broke a stub axle going into Madgewick and did a 180 into the boondocks.

"I concur with the previous opinions, he was a gentleman and a smashing chap to boot.

"We sent the bits to the lab at RNARY Fleetlands for analysis and they reported back that it was a fatigue failure, so that spelled the end of the Lotus.

"Nigel then bought a 1952 Formula 2 Alta from a brewery owner who lived about 10 miles north of Fareham. Marvellous piece of machinery; rubber suspension that pre-dated the mini by ten years, sit-up-and-beg leather armchair and a dope engined four cylinder two litre engine machined out of a solid block of aluminium. My lasting impression is that the owner (very civil, drew us a pint apiece from his own cellars) introduced Nigel to his wife as "Lt Rear-Grease"!!! Collapse of stout party!

"We towed the Alta back to Lee behind my 105E Anglia. On starting off I checked the rear view mirror to see Nigel waving furiously, I of course stopped to see what was wrong, so did Nigel as he ran into the back of my car. No brakes.

"I could ramble on but there seems to be no point, I was so sad to read of his death. Strange that someone who lived life to the full should have met such a mundane end..."

(I believe he was fatally injured by falling from an apple tree in his home orchard - DCN).

Edited by Doug Nye, 28 December 2011 - 20:47.

#465 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:59

Does any one have any information about ND 4040 which started life as Alta GP3 and was later fitted with an HWM offset F2 body FB103 ex baring by Ray Fielding.
The last record i have is an advert by ROD LEACH"S NOSTALGIA in the November 1988 Classic and Sportscar magazine.
Where is it now?

tks - 5*

#466 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:51

No, that's also the last notation in my records

#467 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:14

It was used on the "hills" in the 70s by Nick Jerrome. It was sold to Nigel Dawes who I think removed the No plate ( ND 4040) and sold to Australia ????

#468 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:29

Can ayone identify this Alta engine, taken in Melbourne in the early 1960s.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#469 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:59

The block is a single casting which means it one of the later blocks, I would hazard a guess the engine from the Tony Gaze single seater.

Can ayone identify this Alta engine, taken in Melbourne in the early 1960s.

Posted Image

#470 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,444 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 13:12

Alta-related information from a onetime friend of a Fleet Air Arm officer named Nigel Grier-Rees, which appears in a thread concerning the Supermarine Scimitar aircraft on an aviation forum.

This gentleman recalls:

"I knew Nigel G-R in 1961-62 at Lee when he was Flag Leutenant to FOAH and used to drive the Admiral's barge around, a four engined version of the Dove (Devon?).

(I believe he was fatally injured by falling from an apple tree in his home orchard - DCN).

Doug
If they are your brackets and question mark the answer is HERON
John

Edited by Sharman, 05 December 2012 - 13:13.

#471 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:50

Looking at the top left photo again.
Based on the induction pipe I was initially incorrect. This is a 1100cc engine.

The block is a single casting which means it one of the later blocks, I would hazard a guess the engine from the Tony Gaze single seater.

Edited by fivestar, 07 December 2012 - 03:50.

#472 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:52

I thought the bores looked too small for a 2 litre Tony Gaze type engine, so where would this 1100 have originated from ?

#473 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 21:48

Another Alta question ; As is well known, when Jack Brabham went to the UK in 1955 he bought a Cooper Alta off Peter Whitehead, it seems he didn't like the engine very much so he replaced it with a Bristol whuch he was much more familiar with.

The engine then found its way to Australia and was fitted to PRAD no. 6, a sports car which only ran a couple of times in 1959 before suffering a big accident. This PRAD was then rebuilt but with a Holden motor. The Alta motor stayed with PRAD creators, Jack Pryor and Clive Adams for many years and is pictured below.

At the 1955 Sydney Motor Show PRAD no. 3, a single seater somewhat reminiscent of a Cooper Bristol, was displayed fitted with an Alta engine which was later removed.

Given the time frame of the Brabham Alta episode above could the Alta engine in PRAD 3 have been the same engine as that later fitted to PRAD 6. It would seem unlikely that Pryor and Adams would have had two Alta engines. Any clues anyone ?

Posted Image

#474 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 00:46

That seems a feasible hypothesis

#475 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:10

Interesting it has a twin plug head.

Another Alta question ; As is well known, when Jack Brabham went to the UK in 1955 he bought a Cooper Alta off Peter Whitehead, it seems he didn't like the engine very much so he replaced it with a Bristol whuch he was much more familiar with.

The engine then found its way to Australia and was fitted to PRAD no. 6, a sports car which only ran a couple of times in 1959 before suffering a big accident. This PRAD was then rebuilt but with a Holden motor. The Alta motor stayed with PRAD creators, Jack Pryor and Clive Adams for many years and is pictured below.

At the 1955 Sydney Motor Show PRAD no. 3, a single seater somewhat reminiscent of a Cooper Bristol, was displayed fitted with an Alta engine which was later removed.

Given the time frame of the Brabham Alta episode above could the Alta engine in PRAD 3 have been the same engine as that later fitted to PRAD 6. It would seem unlikely that Pryor and Adams would have had two Alta engines. Any clues anyone ?

Posted Image

#476 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:25

Is this picture a recent one? is the engine still in Australia.
I have a photo of a twin plug Alta engine when fitted to P.Whitehead's Alta, which is probably the same one..
rgds 5x

Posted Image

#477 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:10

The pic was taken about 12 years ago at the premises of Ian Cummins who, at the time, had bought the PRAD to which the engine was originally fitted.

I believe he eventually sold the engine to someone in the UK.

#478 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:08

This picture shows Fay Taylour at Boreham in June 1952. Any idea whose Alta it is?

Posted Image

#479 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:10

She raced the Tony Stokes car (F2/3) at that meeting

Advertisement

#480 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,070 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:53

Thanks, David.

#481 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 388 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08

Thanks, David.

Did she really race with no bra? Did the RAC allow this sort of thing? Is this what Graham Howard calls a 'big-twin'?

#482 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,070 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:21

Did she really race with no bra? Did the RAC allow this sort of thing? Is this what Graham Howard calls a 'big-twin'?

:lol: I believe she is wearing what was known as a "bullet bra" (Google Image Search is your friend ;) )

There's actually a picture of her on the 500.org website in a Cooper T2 in which she appears to be identically dressed - I presume taken on the same occasion.

#483 racingreen

racingreen

• 57 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 00:24

She raced the Tony Stokes car (F2/3) at that meeting

That is not F2/3 that 'impressive' Ms Taylor is pictured next to. No independent rear suspension in this picture.

#484 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 22:36

Scroll through these for Alta pictures
http://www.ebay.co.u...o...0&_from=R40
Roger Lund

#485 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:41

the ex tony gaze HWM Alta has presumably been purchased in the Uk and is heading back downunder to Australia has anyone got any specific info on this car?
terry

#486 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:17

Which one? He raced several

#487 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:41

thats why I was hoping somone may have heard somthing of a car for sale in the UK and being sold overseas.
I will keep an eye out for details
terry

Which one? He raced several

#488 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:25

The 2-litre supercharged car he raced in NZ in 1954 was offered at the Bonhams auction at Goodwood a month ago, though I haven't heard whether or not it sold.

#489 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 23:23

Has anybody seen the supercharged Alta that Peter Briggs sold in Australia about 3 years ago, it was purchased by an Italian lady racer
called Julia De Baldanza. I haven.t seeen it mentioned in any historic race writeups. It was quite a famous car once owned by Roberta Cowell.

#490 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 00:36

for a couple reasons I am sure this will be the car
as soon as I get further info I will post it

The 2-litre supercharged car he raced in NZ in 1954 was offered at the Bonhams auction at Goodwood a month ago, though I haven't heard whether or not it sold.

#491 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 792 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:03

According to the Bonhams website lot no. 328 was sold for 158,300 pounds including buyers premium, description says it had been in the UK since 1997.

#492 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:55

According to the script, it was originally owned by Tony Gaze.

http://www.bonhams.c...ot/...=100&m1=1

The ex Peter Brigg's/ Cowell Alta is still being race prepared.

#493 Bechtolsheimer

Bechtolsheimer

• 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:55

I am not sure if this thread is still active but I am desperate for some help.

I just bought an ALTA 2.0 supercharges sportscar (GPL 3  Chass. + engine nr. 66S) at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, Bonhams Auction.

The old FIA HTP passport of 2000 has expired. To get a new one I need proof that this type of ALTA competed internationally in period. Despite a comprehensive history file and a few hours on Google, I could only find national and cpus events. I have entered for a hill climb in Switzerland and I am desperate for some form of documentation (and picture)

Any help would be much appreciated.

#494 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 13:39

Check your private messages, top right of the screen, a little envelope should have a 1 or greater number on it.

Roger Lund

#495 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 20:42

It says at http://www.racingspo...chive/Alta.html that
Robert Cowell drove a 2 litre Alta L4 in the 1939 GP d'Anvers

John Heath drove 2 litre s/c Alta GP1? in the 1947 GP de Fontieres

John Heath drove a 2 litre Alta L4 in the 1948 Spa 24 hrs and Paris 12 hrs, and the 1949 GP de l'ACF

I don't know if any of these are the same model as your car but they are all 2 litre sports cars

Edited by D-Type, 25 August 2014 - 08:20.