Photo

Alta racers

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

#151 humphries

humphries

• 918 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 17:43

Just as a matter of interest which Alta was used by Peter Mould in 1952/3? It graced the front cover of "Autosport" 3 April, 1953.

John

Advertisement

#152 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 17:53

If you're waiting for me, don't hold your breath. I don't know
(Looked a bit like a Cisitalia, IIRC)

#153 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,952 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 21:08

Tangentially...

'British to the last split pin'... what a wonderful expression!

#154 MVS 151

MVS 151

• 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 14:18

Originally posted by fivestar
It is interesting to note that DSJ in his Historic Racing Car Book refers to the post war Altas chassis numbers as: GP!, F2/3 etc, but no detailed chassis or engine number.
Some time ago I came across an advert for a Alta-Jaguar sports car MVS 351 which had been converted from an Alta F2 chassis 090 and was originally sold as a package by a Mr. Adams of Pulnam with the ex Gordon Watson car now owned by Andrew Fletcher, to a Mr.Horris Capauldi.
Perhaps Graham Gauld could check with Andrew Fletcher the chassis and engine numbers of the ex Gordon Watson car.
Likewise may be some one could check with Martin Peterkin what is the chassis number of F2/5 which is the last F2 car built and has the bugatti style wheels.

Hello !! I am the owner of MVS 151 and I have only just picked up this Alta thread. I am not very computer literate so you will have to excuse any odd happenings !
I would very much like to know the identity of my chassis if anyone has any information. My chassis is clearly 1949/1950 with rubber suspension. However the odd thing is that it has F1 rear suspension and F2 front. I understand that this makes it unique amongst the post war Altas and it should be possible to identify it therefore. It is not of course numbered as I understand that Taylor did not in fact mark any of the postwar chassis. The provenance of my chassis is known right back to Alta in 1958 when it was acquired by a Mr Gilbert of Surrey from the Alta works. However we do not know which car it was when it raced in period. Alan Ede of Toddington, Beds has a lot of information about the postwar cars and I have told him about this continuing thread.
Any help or information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#155 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 04:01

In case it is of any interest, the Noble Louis Manduca passed away in Malta at the age of 85 on 30th August 2006.

#156 Proditto

Proditto

• 9 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 18:53

David,
Drawing of my fathers Alta is not at Brooklands but at a hill climb in Scotland where he gave a demo I will find out which. It is from the Motor World magazine. I have another from the same magazine of him clipping the bank at Kinneil hill climb. Will scan some other pics and post.

Sandy Cormack

#157 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 19:39

Thank you Sandy, I sent your email to David Cohen, he was very please to receive it, did he contact you yet?

#158 Proditto

Proditto

• 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 19:21

David,

From memory of conversations with my father- He mentioned an advert in Autosport for 'his'car in NZ with a V8? engine fitted. Latter the car was for sale by Dan Margulies.
He did a lot of European events mainly hill climbs but also Monaco where he was well up in the Cup race when a bearing ran. Bira won I think. I have programs for many events.
He also held the Brooklands Mountain Circuit lap records with both his Altas. I have a news clipping saying that it was nearly dark and he used lights to mark his braking points when he took the 1500cc record!

Sandy Cormack

Ps Yes he did get in touch. PPS Photos to come from Boness

#159 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 20:53

Yes, your father's car did go to NZ, about 1952 or 1953. No-one could get the engines (it had both 1500 and 2-litre) to run properly and eventually one owner slotted in a Standard Vanguard. I don't recall it ever having a V8. It was owned for a number of years by a group of 'proper' enthusiasts and I'm sure they would have put one of the Alta engines back in before its Margulies era.

Advertisement

#160 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 22:21

This is a fantastic thread. Is it perhaps time to recap and try to weave together its findings into a listing of the Alta 'racers'...???? I certainly have the interest to refine these wonderful minings, but I don't at present have the time. Incidentally Hugh Clifford has been mentioned only in passing in this thread so far. I believe Tom Wheatcroft acquired much of the kit which went into the Donington Collection rendition of 'GP/1' ex-Clifford. Certainly I recall talking to him around 1970/71 about his Alta activities. My impression was that he and his associates had mixed and matched much Alta-related material over many years. Therefore I don't think it's quite right to assume so simplistically that 'this body' went onto 'that chassis' and vice versa, when the truth was probably that an already very much modified heap of umbala was fudged and cut and shut until it fitted another much nadgered heap of umbala until something useable might emerge...or not, as the case might be. Obviously, said umbala can always be 'put right' but I am pretty sure much of this material had had a VERY hard time, and therefore its possession of single 'true identity' might not be as cut and dried as at this range might sometimes be imagined.

DCN

#161 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 23:34

Er, whencan we expect Vol 1? :blush:

#162 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:01

Doug
Thanks for that Hugh Clifford exposition. His name crops up in my Alta notes so often, in connection with different cars, that I presumed some of my information had to be wrong ;)

#163 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 08:01

Originally posted by David Birchall
Er, whencan we expect Vol 1? :blush:

3012? April. Vol 3 is cooking well by the way... :cool:

#164 Proditto

Proditto

• 9 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 20:05

Not sure if this web site has been remarked on before-WWW.atspeedimages.com where a lot of pics of 56S are shown.

Dug out Brooklands lap record certs for my father.

3-11-34 Alta 60x95 1074cc Class G 57.26 secs 73.56mph

22-10-35 Alta 69x100 1496cc Class F 54.61 secs 77.13mph

Sandy Cormack

#165 MVS 151

MVS 151

• 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 17:23

No one on this thread seems to have mentioned Alan Ede who now owns the ex Donington collection car. He is also working on 2 F2 post war Altas for their owner. Alan has done a huge amount of careful research on the postwar cars. I have told him about this thread but I dont know if he has found it yet ! I agree that Altas seem to have had an unfair share of being chopped and swapped about but it would be fantastic if a proper tribute could be written to the efforts of Taylor and others who were so important in the re-emergence of postwar British motor racing.

#166 Squire Straker

Squire Straker

• 95 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 20:15

Oh what joy!!! More controversy pending from Ireland. Altas from 1932, Ford in the TT, Frank O'Boyle (where did he get the money from to buy the car?) to Joe Kelly and the Jirano. I agree that Alan Ede appears to know his stuff, really nice bloke too. Oh yes Manduca at the Curragh, Crossley too, a bit of Tony Gaze, a dash of Phil Scragg even! Lady Mary Grosvenor had a wee house here with a bit of ground, and yes didn't Roberta Cowell race here too. A hot bed of Irish Alta talk.
SS

#167 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,900 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 16:11

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I just picked up the attached Alta badge.

Posted Image

Any idea what it should be attached to?

#168 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 16:24

Morris Minor?
Or were those Alta heads really ioe (like an Elva)?
Alta also also did Austins 7 heads in the 1930s, but whether or not they were ohv I'm afraid I don't know

#169 ianselva

ianselva

• 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:41

Whilst browsing through Fred Hobbs 'Life with HWM ', I found this reference to Altas.
" We had also started on constructing our own cars, the first one being a modified Alta fitted with an all-enveloping two seater body. I went onthe initial tests which were carried out on the RAF station at Odiham.............The Alta had a chequered racing career. John Heath retired at Jersey with a broken Toming chain, George Abecassis skidded into a ditch in the Spa 24 hr race and it shed a wheel in the Paris 12 hr at Montlhery. It also shows a couple of photos one of which shows the reg no as MBP ??? testing and also at Goodwood after they had sold it on.

#170 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 13:53

MPB777

#171 ianselva

ianselva

• 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 14:46

You can only see the first three in the photo, but unlikely to be anything else especially as it looks identical to the photo from Jersey , except that it only shows MBP77 in those pictures ??????

#172 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,571 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 14:51

Originally posted by David McKinney
Morris Minor?
Or were those Alta heads really ioe (like an Elva)?
Alta also also did Austins 7 heads in the 1930s, but whether or not they were ohv I'm afraid I don't know

David
I can't remember but I theeeeenk that they were just aluminium flatheads
John

#173 ianselva

ianselva

• 249 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 15:55

I'm pretty sure they made an Overhead inlet head for the sv minor and also one for the Ford 100E.

#174 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:35

Alta no 70N arrives in UK this week should Cars Motorsport do the Biz.
06 was a good year for the pre war Alta Sports Cars with wins at Le Mans,Silverstone 500 and Spa.EJJ 100% reliable.Still no Goodwood invite for EJJ but probably Ben does not know about it!

#175 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:36

John,
Are you intending to race #70 alongside EJJ?
regards - Mike H

#176 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:55

The idea is to use it as a road car and if Gareth Burnett at Pace Motorsport with the assistance of Ian Polson can get it ready in time I will use it on Tour Britannia rather than Talbot 105.We are not allowed Altas in Le Mans Classic as they are to quick.History repeats itself as the French banned the supercharged cars in 30's so they could dominate sports car racing.Chassis 70 would be ideal at Le Mans

#177 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:04

Should have mentioned that the intention is for EJJ to do the Wiltshire Pre War series except Porto that is a major car breaker (of all cars).Dijon,third week of June,Silverstone end July,Oulton end Aug and Spa 7/10.It has won races at all these tracks previously and it continues to be prepared by Gareth Burnetts Pace Motorsport in Suffolk and driven by Gareth,Jim Diffey and Luke Stevens.

#178 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:33

Have a pic. supposed to be GBGP in 52 . I believe its 53. Bob Gerards transporter is there and a Hwm with L.Macklin ( cant see car no.) and a red Alta number 30 . Please help with a solution to this puzzle! According to the black books no.30 should have been a HWM in 53 and in 52 a Gordini. Any suggestions? :blush:

#179 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:54

It might be the International Trophy (also Silverstone) in one of those years. Also check 1954

Advertisement

#180 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:45

:wave: Thanks David, 2 racers , 2 transporters , 1 driver , colours ,and with b/w pics fits the Int.Tr.Silverst.9/5 1953 !

#181 roadmap

roadmap

• 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:50

Still have somewhere an offest supercharger for an Alta if of use to anyone.

#182 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:47

Contact me this weekend and will find a home for it

#183 roadmap

roadmap

• 94 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 11:26

Hi John
Send me an email direct with your details. Ive lost them
Rgds
Stewart

#184 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 00:51

For TEJ,
Ted, any chance you can check with Ed Arnold the progress of his rebuild with #57s. The one time I dragged myself out to his place I seroiusly underestimated the distance from Vancouver and only spent about 1hour there instead of a day.
rgds - Mike H

#185 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 20:54

Stewart-Cannot get you on E mail. Get me via Fred if you have any probs

#186 TEJ

TEJ

• 82 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 21:38

Fivestar
I called Ed Arnold today and found that little or no progress has been made on the Alta project. It seems that customer work takes priority.

#187 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 21:59

Many thanks Tom. I have to wonder whether this project will ever reach completion. There was a vast amount of work still to be undertaken when I last saw the car. rgds - 5*

#188 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 17:49

Originally posted by Squire Straker
Oh what joy!!! More controversy pending from Ireland. Altas from 1932, Ford in the TT, Frank O'Boyle (where did he get the money from to buy the car?)

I'm currently reading an article about Altas in an old copy of Historic Motor Racing in which Graham Gauld briefly touches on Frank O'Boyle's Irish Republican connections. I think I've got some more detail on that but does anyone know anything more about this driver? There seems to have been a Frank O'Boyle Trophy race at the Curragh after the war.

#189 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:28

Appeal,
Can anyone reading this thread kindly display on this thread a rear end photo of a 4 seater Alta. Three of the 1100cc Altas #16,#17,#18 were produced with this style of body but the only photos one sees are of the pointed tail 2 seaters.
regards - MGH

#190 AllardV8

AllardV8

• 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 14:35

New to this board and just spotted this thread.

In 1979 I visited John Patterson to purchase some Allard parts from him.
He showed me his latest purchase, a very scruffy looking alloy bodied open two-seater that appeared to be Aston Martin based. It looked hacked about and tatty with an ill-fitting cream vinyl hood.
Under the bonnet was an Aston engine ...... BUT there was also the distinctive shape of a single seater radiator, chassis and some huge brakedrums inside the knock-on wire wheels. I admitted to being stumped so John divulged that it was in fact a (crudely) re-bodied Alta single seater.

Some while later I understood John had sold it (to David Baldock ?) and that eventually it was resurrected as Paul Jaye's green single seater. So was it in fact #69IS that I saw ?

#191 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 14:51

Sounds like it
Or what little remained by then :lol:

#192 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:24

In case any body is interested and since I am not sure about the copy right rules, there are a couple of very nice photos of the totally restored Alta #55 in its original colour when owned by W.W.S. Bennett on the Australian Historic Motor Racing site as follows:

http://www.historicr...gp80/index.html

great to see such a car back in action.

#193 john ruston

john ruston

• 957 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:29

The Alta is Betty and Graham Lowes two seater S/C car .One of the four remaining 2 litre S/C cars with one unique unsupercharged.The fifth car,EOY 8 ,is lost but presumably someone will find it in an obscure barn soner or later!.The Philip Island car was rebuilt by Graham alongside his 1100 job.He did a superb job.

#194 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 628 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:04

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
Have a pic. supposed to be GBGP in 52 . I believe its 53. Bob Gerards transporter is there and a Hwm with L.Macklin ( cant see car no.) and a red Alta number 30 . Please help with a solution to this puzzle! According to the black books no.30 should have been a HWM in 53 and in 52 a Gordini. Any suggestions? :blush:

I have puzzled over that picture too and believe that the red car on the trailer isnt an Alta at all but possibly a 5oocc Formula 3 car!. Look at it closely. Also Macklin in the HWM is clearly goggled up and ready to go but the red car is securely on its trailer suggesting this was for a support race. The race numbers dont add up either.

#195 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 15:39

Didn't we decide it was from the 1953 International Trophy meeting?
(see Posts 180, 181)

#196 fivestar

fivestar

• 291 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:24

I was idlely perusing the DVLA web site and note that EOY 8 under Alta, is currently licensed for the road.
According to the information on hand it was first re registered on 02-10-2002, has a capacity of 1960cc[correct for a 2L Alta], and is painted Silver.
Has anybody out there on this thread actually seen this vehicle??

regards - 5*

#197 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:47

Bought this photo recently and on the back is scribbled "Alta Williams Prescott 1950s?" - nothing else.
Posted Image
Checked with the Prescott archivist, Paul Gibbons, who's at a loss to identify the car as no '83' listed in any of the 1950s programmes seems to fit.
Is it an Alta at all I wonder? Maybe it's not even Prescott , although it looks like the first left hander of the Esses.
Anyone got any ideas ?

#198 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 648 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:06

It is an Alta. It's 62IS (the Hugh Hunter car, now owned by Martin Redmond) in the form I remember seeing it in when owned by Peter Moores in the 1970s although I don't know who is driving it in the photo.

Could the photo have been taken at Shelsley?

#199 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:11

Looks like a leather helmet
J H Williams drove this car at Prescott in 1946

Advertisement

#200 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:25

Thanks chaps, this is all making sense. The Hunter car being the one shown here at Brooklands.

Posted Image