1 Built for Cowell (but not paid for)
2 Back with Alta
3 Gib Barrett (Aust)
4 Sydney Anderson (W Aust)
5 Jim Ward (W Aust)
6 Jim Harwood (dealer)
7 Hon John Dawson-Damer
8 Peter Briggs

This great thread is a recent find for me --- I've long had a soft spot for the Alta, several of my friends having owned, at different times, 010 and F2/5. The first thing I have to say is that I'm constantly dumbfounded by the serious ommission that persists in the above provenance. With due respect to its other owners, during its long stay in Western Australia, 010's most notable owner/drivers were Syd Anderson and Jack Ayres.
Jack was a very popular and respected personality, a top driver, successful businessman [with his brother, Frank, in "Superior Cars" with an emphasis on sporting cars] and a committee member of the WASCC. In short, not the sort of Alta owner you could easily overlook!
Terry, did you perhaps refer to John Blanden's "Historic Racing Cars In Australia" for your info? The Ayres brothers owned both 010 and F2/5 and whether by accident or design, John Blanden ommitted both these facts from his book. He even included a pic of 010 with Jack driving and the caption; "Probably Jim Ward". I pointed these errors out to him prior to his publication of the second edition. Lo and behold, there is STILL no mention of them owning either car.
I recall reading somewhere that after Syd Anderson's tragic death, his widow sold the car to someone [in the east?] where it sustained some mechanical damage and the deal fell through. She had been advertising it in AMS and I have the figure of 2,750 pounds in mind-- a great deal less than Syd was reported to have paid for it. The car was returned and eventually bought by the Ayres brothers. It had been a dark BRG but, like most of his cars, Jack painted it red and had Cliff Byfield make the long nose for it in the style of Murray Trenberth's Alta-Holden, F2/5. I think Jack's first appearance with the car was the 1960 Caversham sprints where he recorded best time/speed for under 1500 racing cars and was pictured on the cover of "The Visor" doing so. He later won the under 1500 class of the 1960 WA State Championships and raced it at other meetings before selling it to Jim Ward.
After a stint with their next car, the ex-Doug Green Cooper JAP 1100, now painted red instead of polished aluminium, the Ayres boys bought the Repco-Alta, F2/5, from Murray Trenberth and just to be different , changed this one's colour from red to BRG. They entered it for the '62 AGP and Jack placed third in his heat on the Saturday but for reasons unknown, did not start in the main event.
Which brings to mind another piece of misinformation;- The Fremantle/York Motor Museum of Peter Briggs released a history of their car, 010, stating that the two Altas were entered for the above AGP but 010 had failed to finish "in the money". Understandable--- It wasn't even entered!
Jack raced F2/5 in a few more events but his health was failing and he sold the car [ 900 pounds, IIRC] to David Drew and Bevan Howson. For those who are confused by not seeing "Drew" in reports, programs and results, from this point on David always raced under the pseudonym, David "Rockford". It's probably helpful to continue its use.
The number of people [including myself!] who have said; " I could have bought that Alta, Cooper-Bristol, ex Ascari GP Ferrari, etc" for figures ranging from 500 to a thousand pounds are, of course, countless but the reality is that they became interesting ornaments which few in Australia really needed. Ultimately many of "our" factory racing cars were channelled through Jim Harwood to the growing historic market in the northern hemisphere. It's a minor miracle [ thanks to Peter] that 010 remained here for so long.

Advertisement

#402 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 21:18

Great stuff, Rod :up:

#403 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 22:34

The Alta photo in the John Blanden book was mine.Jim Ward owned the car at the time and Jack was test driving it.Jim's name was on the side.

#404 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:26

Great stuff, Rod :up:

:) Thanks David. Jack Ayres' omission has been irritating me for years. I feel better now!

#405 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:35

Just been talking to Murray Trenberth, probably the quickest of all the drivers of F2/5. 1 min 32 at Caversham back in '61 was very quick indeed. IRRC Lex didn't quite do that time in the Ferrari, a contemporary car, four years earlier and the Repco-Alta's subsequent drivers didn't come near it. Posted Image
Murray Trenberth pressing on as ever in F2/5. Photog unknown.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When Murray acquired the car from Bill Craig he fitted a Dunstan rotary-valve head to the grey Holden motor and while this arrangement could spin to eight thousand revs and produce 200hp, he says it was hopeless, having no torque. The next step was to change to a Repco head. With modified head and motor he achieved a similar output. The Alta was too inclined to oversteer so he drilled some holes and changed the rear suspension geometry to negative camber. He tells an amusing tale of sitting on the grid behind Stan Jones' 250F. Being aware of Stan's habit of getting the show on the road when the starter flinched, as opposed to when he actually dropped the flag, Murray decided to do likewise. The ensuing sound of the two straight sixes at max revs was music to his ears but as the Maserati disappeared into the middle distance, our man was left with a bunch of bent valves!

#406 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:09

I have posted photos of both Altas and there various drivers on the Australian motor racing photos thread.

#407 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:10

I have posted photos of both Altas and there various drivers on the Australian motor racing photos thread.

#408 robspan

robspan

• 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 13:58

Here's a visit to Alta's little works at Tolworth, showing one of the 1952-53 Formula 2 machines and then what is captioned on the print as Geoffrey Crossley's 1949 GP car (note its supercharger). If anyone knows the general area today, do any of the background buildings still exist?

hi Doug,

in reply to this oldish thread, if it hasn't been answered yet,

I work in Tolworth & yes it still exists, I drive past it every day !

-rob-

#409 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,024 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 15:48

One Alta question which never seems to have been asked - nor answered - is the identity of the chassis used by Robin Hanson in the 1938 Donington GP. This was of course the car which disgraced itself by dumping about a gallon of oil through Holly Wood and putting Seaman off the road.

According to the programme this car had a 1496cc engine and Hanson had borrowed it from Robin Jackson, using it in preference to his usual Maserati 6CM in order to be eligible for the "all-British" awards. There are previous references in this thread to at least three chassis which were associated with Jackson. Hanson's nominated reserve was George Harvey-Noble, in case that gives anyone a clue.

#410 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 00:04

My belief is that this was #62s which built up by Robin Jackson for Hugh Hunter. Its pre war body was less than flattering.

One Alta question which never seems to have been asked - nor answered - is the identity of the chassis used by Robin Hanson in the 1938 Donington GP. This was of course the car which disgraced itself by dumping about a gallon of oil through Holly Wood and putting Seaman off the road.

According to the programme this car had a 1496cc engine and Hanson had borrowed it from Robin Jackson, using it in preference to his usual Maserati 6CM in order to be eligible for the "all-British" awards. There are previous references in this thread to at least three chassis which were associated with Jackson. Hanson's nominated reserve was George Harvey-Noble, in case that gives anyone a clue.

#411 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 00:23

David Rockford in the Alta Repco Holden.

Posted Image

#412 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 00:27

Jack Ayres SC Alta. Jacks first race meeting with the car.

Posted Image

#413 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 00:54

Jack Ayres SC Alta. Jacks first race meeting with the car.

Posted Image

Nice pic Ken. Then this would have been its first appearance with the long nose which Cliff Byfield made. Also resplendent in red having previously been BRG. Note the original wheels which were larger rim diameter on the front. During Peter Briggs' ownership they were replaced with new Borranis which look to be the same size all 'round. Note also Jack's home-made visor screwed onto a pretty basic helmet as favoured by scooter riders!
Vin Smith's self-built "Alpha", with s/c Peugeot engine and VW front end, is behind the Alta.

#414 Wilyman

Wilyman

• 262 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:39

David Rockford in the Alta Repco Holden.

Posted Image

Ken and Rod. Would that the Caversham Circuit as pictured still existed. Something to dream about.

When or why did the Alta have its more identifiable original wheels replaced with wires?

Jack's helmet does look like a scooter job. Ray Barfield's helmet was similar. Surely they wouldn't have been so hard-up as to opt for the cheaper 'titfer'?

#415 ken devine

ken devine

• 744 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:42

The Anderson/Ayres Alta had the wire wheels when Syd bought it from Gib Barratt but i dont know if they are original. In my opinion
they look better. As for the helmets you will note that Vin in the background was wearing his usual puddin basin helmet.

#416 Repco22

Repco22

• 707 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:42

Ken and Rod. Would that the Caversham Circuit as pictured still existed. Something to dream about.

When or why did the Alta have its more identifiable original wheels replaced with wires?

Jack's helmet does look like a scooter job. Ray Barfield's helmet was similar. Surely they wouldn't have been so hard-up as to opt for the cheaper 'titfer'?

John, there's been a lot of confusion about the two Altas that we saw in WA. The fact that Jack Ayres owned them both at different times and that both their paint jobs alternated between red and green probably contributed to this. The supercharged one always had wire wheels. As I said above, their diameter appears to have been standardised during Peter Briggs' ownership. The ex Murray Trenberth Repco-Alta, the last Alta completed, was the only one to have those cast electron wheels and still has them. Hope this helps. Re the helmets; You're right about Ray Barfield's being an "El Cheapo" too. I think that style of helmet had no "skirt" to cover the back of the neck. Jack bought a jet-style helmet for his last car, the Repco-Alta. I share your sentiments regarding Caversham. They were wonderful days.:cry:

#417 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:33

Kindly disregard my earlier post/reply.
I have come across a photo of the Alta at the Donington GP. the race number being #14 which corresponds to the entry list.
According to the entry list the entrant was Mrs. Hall Smith whom I have never come across before in Alta research.
Secondly the car in the photo is one of the earlier offset solid axle Alta racers, so I have to assume #53s which was originally sold to R.R.Jackson in September 1935.
ciao - 5*

Edited by fivestar, 14 May 2011 - 10:35.

#418 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,284 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:36

Mrs Hall-Smith was Robin Hanson's regular entrant. There's a lot more about her relationship to/with Hanson in this earlier thread:

Robin Hanson - who was he?

#419 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,024 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:40

Excellent - thanks for that, Mike! Mrs Hall-Smith was apparently related to Hanson and his entries were usually made in her name, so I guess this would be her only connection to an Alta.

http://forums.autosp...w...8&hl=Hanson

Advertisement

#420 "Shangry-La"

"Shangry-La"

• 30 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 15:41

Mrs Hall-Smith was apparently related to Hanson.

No - Marjorie Hall-Smith was no relation of Robin Hanson.

#421 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 21:09

For interest...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

#422 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 00:00

Doug,
Nice photos of the Norris special #58s. When were these photos taken?
Have you had any luck digging through DSJ's war time diaries and escertaining how he rescused EOY8?

cheers - Mike [5*]

For interest...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DCN

#423 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,045 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:06

Doug,
Nice photos of the Norris special #58s. When were these photos taken?
Have you had any luck digging through DSJ's war time diaries and escertaining how he rescused EOY8?

cheers - Mike [5*]

:confused:

I see #65, #123 and #54 but not # 58

#424 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,284 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:27

58S is the chassis number. :)

#425 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,666 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:34

The unmolested Norris Special at the HGPCA test day last month
Posted Image
Posted Image

#426 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,024 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:03

58S is the chassis number. :)

... Mr Taylor never having apparently felt it necessary to dabble in such trivial things as model numbers.

#427 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,328 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 18:33

And some more...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
12A

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 15 May 2011 - 21:00.

#428 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:28

Not even Chassis numbers. the stamped engine nos on the engines which has already lead to some confusion when engines were swapped between chassis namely #54s and 63s

... Mr Taylor never having apparently felt it necessary to dabble in such trivial things as model numbers.

#429 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 23:34

Some notes, in case anyone is interested. Corrected courtsey of eo;oth and Shangry-la

And some more...

Posted Image
Geoff Taylor in Chassis #58 before it became the Norris Special.
Posted Image
George Abecassis in #61s at Brooklands
Posted Image
Chassis #69 Gordon Watson. Douglas, IOM 25th may 1948
Posted Image
John heath in GP1 at Reims 1948
Posted Image
G.Crossley G.P.de Belgique 18th June 1950
Posted Image
Alta 1100 number 19 driven by Douglas Briault on trade plates with registration number 218 ME
Posted Image
Joe Kelly Silverstone 1950 International Trophy1950
Posted Image
Joe Kelly, GP3, Goodwood easter 1952
Posted Image
12A
Peter Whitehead, Madgwick Cup 27/09/1952

DCN

Edited by fivestar, 16 May 2011 - 06:45.

#430 eolith

eolith

• 9 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 05:26

Picture 10 is Alta 1100 number 19 driven by Douglas Briault on trade plates with registration number 218 ME. David Baldock

#431 "Shangry-La"

"Shangry-La"

• 30 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:26

No.8 is John Heath in GP1 at Reims 1948

No.11 is definitely Silverstone - 1950 International Trophy.
So that must be Joe Kelly in #6

No.12 is Joe Kelly, as Mike says, but it is Goodwood Easter 1952

BTW it is Gordon Watson in No.7, Mike

#432 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:40

Many thanks david, I had guessed that also as #18 was APG 57 and #20 EPG 903.
Michael [ 5*]

Picture 10 is Alta 1100 number 19 driven by Douglas Briault on trade plates with registration number 218 ME. David Baldock

#433 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,688 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:42

Posted Image

Where was the above taken?

#2 is on the startline at Prescott

#3 is at Semi-circle at Prescott

#4 could either be Prescott or Shelsley!

:wave:

#434 SWB

SWB

• 239 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:44

Here is a photo I'm sure you won't have seen before

Posted Image

Sorry about the quality, its scanned from an orginal print, can't find the negative at the moment.

Steve

#435 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:59

Crystal Palace?

DCN

#436 SWB

SWB

• 239 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:06

Don't know Doug, the negative is from a job lot without captions. I asked Bill Boddy many years ago but his list of comments went AWOL in a house move.

#437 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:58

If so, it would have to be a Coronation Trophy with all the flags out, n'est-ce pas?

#438 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,693 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:59

Some notes, in case anyone is interested. Corrected courtsey of eo;oth and Shangry-la

Is picture 12A the car that Jack Brabham bought from Peter Whitehead, and which he so bitterly regretted subsequently?

#439 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,328 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 20:42

No - different car - this one - Cooper chassis, Alta engine.

Posted Image

Photo Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 16 May 2011 - 20:45.

Advertisement

#440 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 22:29

If so, it would have to be a Coronation Trophy with all the flags out, n'est-ce pas?

Close but no cigar. :smoking:

Crystal Palace Cup, 1939: on page 42 of Phillip Parfitt's book there is a picture which was taken from almost the same spot, as it shows Abecassis just leaving the start. This one is about 50 yards into the race.

#441 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 746 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:42

I originally posted this query on the thread "Sprinting in Ramsgte" and one post referred to the Alta detailed below.

Just wondered if anyone had any further information?

The Alta No 121 Sprinting at Ramsgate is superchared 1100 chassis number 25R1S Registration number DPJ929 .Originally supplied to A.C.Lace .This was the last 1100 constructed .Subsequent owners were Millard, May 36,Miller 39.Postwar it appeared at Goodwood and Brighton in the hands of Bristow.During the early fifties the supercharger was removed and four amals fitted .The nose panel was also altered to the form seen in the Ramsgate picture.I do not now who was driving it on this occasion.Subsequently offered for sale by Character cars in Croyden. McAlpine-Downie owned it during the late fifties..In 1961 it was with Dan Margulies who sold it to Allan Moore,then to Paul Jaye from whom I acquired it in about 1981.Now with Bob Thredder. David Baldock

I went on a private visit last weekend to the closed motor museum at Filching Manor. Amongst many items on display there - and with a notice suggesting that it might be a redundant nose cowling from an earlier version of Sir Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird - was this nose section bearing the registration number DPJ 929. The DVLA still has this listed - and, indeed blue - as an Alta, first registered on 6th April 1936. Now, it's obvious that it isn't anything to do with Blue Bird but I just wondered if these pics add anything to the details already posted?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#442 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:26

Kindly look at my post 139. there is a photo of the same car at Ramsgate.

I originally posted this query on the thread "Sprinting in Ramsgte" and one post referred to the Alta detailed below.

Just wondered if anyone had any further information?

I went on a private visit last weekend to the closed motor museum at Filching Manor. Amongst many items on display there - and with a notice suggesting that it might be a redundant nose cowling from an earlier version of Sir Malcolm Campbell's Blue Bird - was this nose section bearing the registration number DPJ 929. The DVLA still has this listed - and, indeed blue - as an Alta, first registered on 6th April 1936. Now, it's obvious that it isn't anything to do with Blue Bird but I just wondered if these pics add anything to the details already posted?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#443 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 14:05

It is interesting to note that DSJ in his Historic Racing Car Book refers to the post war Altas chassis numbers as: GP!, F2/3 etc, but no detailed chassis or engine number.
Some time ago I came across an advert for a Alta-Jaguar sports car MVS 351 which had been converted from an Alta F2 chassis 090 and was originally sold as a package by a Mr. Adams of Pulnam with the ex Gordon Watson car now owned by Andrew Fletcher, to a Mr.Horris Capauldi.
Perhaps Graham Gauld could check with Andrew Fletcher the chassis and engine numbers of the ex Gordon Watson car.
Likewise may be some one could check with Martin Peterkin what is the chassis number of F2/5 which is the last F2 car built and has the bugatti style wheels.

Your Mr Adams was Mr Michael Adams of Puttenham nr Guilford

#444 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 00:33

Hi Rob, i was in the UK recently and went down Fullers Way looking for the old factory buildings but could not find them. Was I in the wrong area. At the end of Fullers Way just before the by- pass on the left is a newish industrial estate and on the right houses. is the old factory inside the industrial estate?
Mike 5*

hi Doug,

in reply to this oldish thread, if it hasn't been answered yet,

I work in Tolworth & yes it still exists, I drive past it every day !

-rob-

#445 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 17:44

Kindly disregard my earlier post/reply.
I have come across a photo of the Alta at the Donington GP. the race number being #14 which corresponds to the entry list.
According to the entry list the entrant was Mrs. Hall Smith whom I have never come across before in Alta research.
Secondly the car in the photo is one of the earlier offset solid axle Alta racers, so I have to assume #53s which was originally sold to R.R.Jackson in September 1935.
ciao - 5*

Mrs. Hall Smith eleged Robin Hansans aunt. She was older than him and held the purse strings

#446 Alfieri

Alfieri

• 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 17:51

Mrs. Hall Smith eleged Robin Hansans aunt. She was older than him and held the purse strings

Mrs. Hall-Smith was NOT Robin Hanson's aunt. In fact she was not related to him.
She simply "sponsored" him, in terms of providing the cars which Hanson raced.

#447 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 18:12

In about 1963 I recall seeing what was supposed to be the Abecassis car in Saltney near Chester at the house of Bob Williams .
It certainly looked identical to photos of the single seater prewar car which I had copies of in books or magazines.
I always understood he had this car from Hugh Clifford who he seemed to know well, and I recall mention of it having a broken crankshaft.
I thought he had it in his possession for years afterwards, certainly into the mid 1960's.
He worked at the aircraft factory at Broughton, so I'm wondering where he and that car fits into this story.

We kept the new crank and Hugh Cifford sold the car to Bob Williams. the idea was to replace the 2L engine in 55 TO1500 78X78 S/C. But John bought the remains of Brian Naylors JW Maserati from Jim Berrys estate.

#448 Malcolm Schofield

Malcolm Schofield

• 27 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:36

Dudley Gagahan's name is mentioned in the text for MVS351 below. On another thread I was interested to find out more about him most of his racing library and a bugatti came to australia.
The library was sold at auction and certainly it was probably the best selection of stuff never seen in australia before lots of Brooklands stuff 100's of motor racing programmes etc etc.
I probably finished with 1/3 of what was offered missing out on Brooklands year books that went back to the UK I did get a set of prewar MG magazines.
But I am still keen to learn more about Dudley Gagahan and what exactly he did collect
terry

The history of MVS351, once retired from GrandPrix racing is not unique. As with many Altas and HWMS, these once glorious Grand Prix cars were converted and modified for road and track use as their chassis' were far more sophisticated than a standard road car and thus gave them great handling. By the late 1960s MVS351 had fallen into disrepair. Its story continues when one horns Capauldi commissioned Dudley Gagahan to find him an Alta Grand Prix car. As luck would have it, in approximately 1968, Gagahan located andbought from a Mr Adams of Putnam, Nr Guildford, the ex- Gordon Watson Alta. Purchased with this car was MVS351 Although semi- derelict with no engine and gearbox, it was instantly recognisable as an Alta F2 Grand Prix car. Capauldi, it appears, then decided against running an Alta and instructed Dudley Gagahan to sell on the Gordon Watson car with Gagahan's company retaining MVS351 This was then duly sold to an enthusiastic employee George Hampson. However, Hampson never had the opportunity to achieve his dream of restoring this superb car to its former glory. Instead, it was sold to its last owner who retained and campaigned this great car in sprints and hill climbs as well as using it regularly as a road and rally car throughout his near thirty years of ownership. Powered by its straight six 3.8 litre Xk Jaguar power unit, this incredible sports racing car has a superb power to weight ratio, giving it awe-inspiring performance and handling. With extremely attractive two seater coachwork adapted from its Gp single- seater bodywork finished in British Racing Green, hide interior and black tonneau cover, also supplied with this vehicle is its spare 3.4 litre block for the faint hearted amongst you! Estimate

Mike Adams of Puttenham

#449 MVS 151

MVS 151

• 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:34

Mike Adams of Puttenham

Hello Malcolm
I own MVS351 and have long tried to trace M.A.V.Adams. I undertand that he bought my car (in rolling chassis form) from Hugh Clifford (when it came over from Ireland). Your information is the first confirmation that I have seen that his first name was Michael. He lived at Alta Cottage !
Do you have any more information please about Adams or his family ?
The chassis "number 9" for my car is I understand not accurate and was just given by a previous owner to get it road registered. The chassis does in fact have GP rear suspension and those that know far more than me are fairly certain that it is in fact GP4 ie. the 4th GP car that Taylor started but did not complete as such.

#450 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 484 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:08

this was posted as a separate topic enquiring about bill mackie see below

fivestar
Find Member's Posts Today, 01:19 Post #1
Do any of the TNFs out there have any knowledge of a Bill Mackie who installed an XK engine in the HW-Alta streamliner in the late 1960s/early 70s.
any leads appreciated,

Mike [5*]

Edited by terry mcgrath, 31 July 2011 - 02:09.