Photo

Transporters

• Please log in to reply
2999 replies to this topic

#51 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 19:26

One of the most fascinating aspects of this thread is the number of instances of cars being reunited with ‘period’ transporters. The Tyrrell group picture and the Testa Rossas on a period Ferrari lorry look amazing. It’s good to see so many cases people taking the view that restoration of and racing an historic car are incomplete without period transport. Another one that comes to mind is a Lotus 12 a few years back which, when it took to the tracks after restoration (by Bill Friend, IIRC), it was carried around on the back of a Ford Thames flatbed, a recreation of a period Lotus transporter.

Of the memorabilia that I have collected about my own car, one of my most prized is an engineer’s report after it raced at (and retired from) Le Mans. Not only does this detail all the mechanical woes suffered by the car, it also covers the team’s experience with it service truck – a Commer C59 Diesel. Believe it or not, it was described as ‘very comfortable’, but then I suppose it was over forty years ago. Nothing as namby-pamby as a transporter for the car – in them days cars were driven to t’ races.

Back to an earlier question: can anyone throw any light on the white Dennis with Jaguar signwriting in the Goodwood paddock this year? One reason for my interest in this is that about twenty years ago I spent a few months working at Dennis in Guildford and, rather foolishly (though innocently) they put me in an office that contained a whole lot of old photo albums. Needless to say, when I found these, not much work was done and although the albums contained photos of a very wide range of special vehicles they had built (not just buses, fire engines and dust carts), I cannot recall any racing car transporters.

Advertisement

#52 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 11:03

More from Racers Edge...

Posted Image

Posted Image

...and a model of the same...

Posted Image

Peter can add his descriptions.

#53 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 11:16

Thanks Ray for posting the photo's for me.( I will have to learn that one day) :confused:

The first transporter is a 1965 Fiat 643N1 owned by Tom Shaughnessy ( USA)

The second photo, I took at this years Ferrari / Maserati challenge at Spa...( I don't know too much about it?) last is a model of the same transporter...

#54 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2003 - 12:19

The second photo, I took at this years Ferrari / Maserati challenge at Spa...( I don't know too much about it?) last is a model of the same transporter...

I think that's the vehicle now owned by Carlos Monteverde and used for carrying a very impressive collection of 50s and 60s Ferraris?

#55 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:39

A bit off the subject,but back in the late 60s,we had a local maker of karts who towed his double deck trailer behind his ex works ZAGATO ASTON(39PH) i think.

#56 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:11

Actually, there's another one I just remembered... it was posted on another forum...

A Bonneville car, based on a Citroen SM, and so was the transporter... and the trailer had some very neat Citroen fittings too... like suspension that lowered the thing so the car could drive straight off it!

Check it out... two pics, well worth looking at...

http://www.mckibbin....sa/DSC00298.jpg

http://www.mckibbin....sa/DSC00300.jpg

And just so you can see it was a serious little salt flat charger...

http://www.mckibbin....sa/DSC00299.jpg

Like it?

Well, it did over 200mph... read all about it here!

A

#57 prettyface

prettyface

• 3,029 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 21:43

Does anyone know the make or any other details about the Cooper transporter in the photo? Was this their F1 transporter as well?

I'm terribly sorry that the photographer left the front out of the picture. It's supposed to be taken in the early 50's at the AVUS paddock, surely for the 1953 F3 race that featured the T17 streamliner in which John Cooper drove and won.

Posted Image

#58 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:03

Prettyface-I've no idea what it is, but it looks like it incorporates some bus parts-doesn't that look like a sign over the cab, which at one point probably said something like "North Circular Rd." on it? (forgive me for not knowing English Bus Stop Protocol.....I don't know where they stop around here, either!)
-William
PS-Since I know almost nothing about old vans or trucks, what's that silver van in the background? It looks odd to me, kind of like its been chopped.

#59 prettyface

prettyface

• 3,029 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 18:43

Cheers William, that does look like a vestigial bus sign. I've never heard of short chassis British buses thought.

The funky little van could be a Tempo Matador, and I agree that it has a weird train-like quality to the front!

Advertisement

#60 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 20:16

Indeed it is a Tempo Matador... renowned for their front mounted VW engine driving through a 3-speed transaxle to the front wheels.

The front wheels always had a pile of negative camber, and from memory the poor things had a backbone chassis.

#61 Mawerick

Mawerick

• 79 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 20:54

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#62 prettyface

prettyface

• 3,029 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 15:52

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Indeed it is a Tempo Matador... renowned for their front mounted VW engine driving through a 3-speed transaxle to the front wheels.

The front wheels always had a pile of negative camber, and from memory the poor things had a backbone chassis.

Not exactly a VW bus clone then. The handling must have been interesting with the engine ahead of the front wheels and all that overhang. Say, no cargo, in the wet... :D

So, no clue about the lorry then?

#63 VDP

VDP

• 659 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 18:25

What s happened to the Lancia Transporter after the"donation" from the factory Lancia to Ferrari ?

Robert

#64 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 19:56

While we await an answer to that question, here's another pic from Racer's Edge, an Alfa transporter...

Posted Image

Does anyone know, by the way, what famous racing car used the transaxle from the Tempo Matador?

#65 VDP

VDP

• 659 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 22:41

Where :smoking:

Robert

#66 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:27

2002 Seattle Itialian Concours: Ferrari transporter / Jon Shirley...( 1st. in Special Interest)

Posted Image

#67 VDP

VDP

• 659 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:35

The german link for tempo Matador with colour pics

http://www.tempo-die...lder/stapel.htm

Robert

#68 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 13:28

Originally posted by VDP
Where?

Between the engine and the rear wheels...

#69 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 14:04

Forget about Ferrari & Maserati / Jaguar transporters...these guys were "REAL" racers... :smoking:
To see more of this type of Americian / Canadian racing check: http://www.icnet.net...man14/index.htm

Posted Image

#70 dmj

dmj

• 1,959 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 21:33

Well, if someone has a scanner and a copy of Raffaelli's "Memoirs of a Bugatti hunter" I do believe some pictures at pages 224-225 could be of interest for this discussion. One depicts a Chevrolet truck by Bugatti/Czaykowski, other a Bugatti Brescia converted into a truck carrying Bugatti pedal cars and last is a Hispano-Suiza H6 converted into transporter for a T35 Bugatti. Latter two pics were published in July 1997 C&SC too with a request for more info. As that Hispano is looking fabulous I am really looking forward to see if anyone could know who created it and what became of it...

It's a shame mentioning Moon transporter without adding a picture, so here it is:
Posted Image

I'd also like to add links to some of equsite promotional vehicles designed by Philippe Charbonneaux but sadly googling didn't provide any results so far... and those vehicles had nothing to do with racing anyway.

#71 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 23:46

What a nice bit of gear!

Did it steer by braking the individual wheels, scraper style, or is there something we can't see? Maybe hydraulic rams that turn the prime mover in relation to the trailer?

And is it based on a Corvair?

Love that converted car carrier, too, Racer's Edge... wish I had pics of Malcolm Bailey's transporter...

#72 Gerr

Gerr

• 687 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:13

The transporter with the "Mooneyes" decals is Norman Holtkamp's "Cheetah" built circa 1961.
It is based on a Mercedes 300s chassis with a 300 cu in Chev V8. The cab was mostly '59-'60 El Camino. The rest of the body was aluminum and built by Troutman-Barnes.

There is a technical report in SCG, November 1961.

#73 Gerr

Gerr

• 687 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:19

The transporter with the "Mooneyes" decals is Norman Holtkamp's "Cheetah" built circa 1961.
It is based on a Mercedes 300s chassis with a 300 cu in Chev V8. The cab was mostly '59-'60 El Camino. The rest of the body was aluminum and built by Troutman-Barnes.

There is a technical report in SCG, November 1961.

#74 dmj

dmj

• 1,959 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:03

Exactly. Parts of '59 El Camino mounted on '53 Mercedes-Benz 300S chassis, with Porsche torsion bar suspension added to enhance MB one. Troutman & Barnes did bodywork and car appeared on cover of December '61 Car and Driver, carrying a Willment racer. Later in '60's engine is moved from ahead of front wheels to central position. Later Holtcamp sold it to Dean Moon but soon after that it was damaged in an earthquake. At some time it also gained a Corvette engine. Last I know is that it was being restored in 1997 - but I believe I caught a photo of restored car at some concours after that...
And indeed, as William asked in first place, Holtcamp was inspired by that famous MB truck. So, even if Dean Moon only owned it and had nothing to do with its creation, some of us, including me, are always thinking of this interesting vehicle, unjustifiably, as "Moon transporter"... Thanks for pointing it, Gerr.

#75 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:07

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Does anyone know, by the way, what famous racing car used the transaxle from the Tempo Matador?

I had cut-down Tempo Matador driveshafts, machined to fit the VW gearbox in the Jolus Minx, 1963-65.

Do you know how hard it was to find a Tempo Matador in a wrecking yard in Australia - even then? Although I recently discovered one, complete, on a country property, owned by a man who said he is "gunna" restore it one day...

#76 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,484 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 02:49

Two years ago, in my unstoppable hunt for Kugelfischer bits, I found a Tempo Matador in a wrecking yard at Moss Vale...

The owner was keeping it, he has another he's restoring.

I thought Graeme Snape would have been interested, but apparently he has three spare gearboxes.

#77 AlesiUK

AlesiUK

• 2,844 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:39

somewhat,if not totaly OT.

But in 1989 there was a transporter at oulton park(i think) with sign writing on the door saying "BIGAL",much to the mystery of many until it was realised that the trucky was a rather large fellow by the name of alan....who had clearly hired a very incompetant sign writer.The writing was removed before the weekend was over i think,but i have often wondered if a picture of this exsisted....

#78 WCA-27

WCA-27

• 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:52

I have a 1969/70 British 2 car race car transporter built in England on a British Ford 56 Passenger bus chassis. The chassis number is BC04JB6822R226. Model Number is R225. It is a left hand drive chassis. Wheelbase is 226". Engine Ford Industrial Turbo Diesel, 363 CID, 150HP. The coachword was done by Reall Coach Builders, Ltd and Boyne coachworks.

I am trying to document it's history. I have been told that it was built in 1969 for March Engineering Formula 2 Racing Team by Ford Motor Co. Ltd. However I have not been able to substantiate that information. I have also been told that while Lister used Ford vehicles in the early years, they might have used this one. I believe that the original vehicle was either red or blue, maybe with yellow trim.

Any help or leads that you may be able to supply would be most appreciated. I would attach a photo but I don't know how. I can e-mail photos if requested.

Thanks...Bill Allen sales@upfrontcoolers.com

#79 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,707 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:17

Originally posted by Mawerick
Posted Image

Stunning photos Mawerick - thanks for posting those. Perhaps the ultimate single car transporter ever devised.

Bill, I'm sure someone around here wil be able to help... check your email.

Advertisement

#80 WCA-27

WCA-27

• 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 19:22

I too have seen this original transporter. It was on the way to the Dutch GP in '60 or '61. I was travelling with two friends of mine, Alan and Mariette Clarkson to the GP at Zandfort. We stopped the transporter and took some photos with the 2 Italians that were driving. Later, at a garage in Zandfort, we came across where the Ferrari's were stabled. I asked my now new friend, whom I had met on the highway, if I could take a photo of the race cars. He put me in Pedro Rodriquez's Ferrari F1 car and Alan Clarkson took my picture. Sorry but gone are the days when you could just walk into a F1 teams garage! It was quite a time.

I'm sorry but I don't understand how to include the photos here. But contact me at sales@upfrontcoolers.com and I will send them to you.

I am also still looking for information on my 1969 vintage British transporter. So far I don't think that this vehicle exists!!!

...Bill Allen

#81 Racers Edge

Racers Edge

• 122 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 15:12

Posted Image

Can you even think!.. to see McLaren today, show up to a race like this, with a primer grey paint job, on a Ford flatdeck *.. ...those were the days when racing, was racing, not posing for the sponsors & spectators...as they say: "If it don't work, ... Chrome it!" :smoking: ...boy has the sport ever changed! :down:

#82 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 18:38

Originally posted by Racers Edge

Can you even think!.. to see McLaren today, show up to a race like this, with a primer grey paint job, on a Ford flatdeck *.. ...those were the days when racing, was racing, not posing for the sponsors & spectators...as they say: "If it don't work, ... Chrome it!" :smoking: ...boy has the sport ever changed! :down: [/B]

Is that Boyd Jeffries in the Goodyear suit? Another lost phenomenon: driver shows interest in a car when it's not race-ready and warmed?

#83 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 19:32

Here's a sight, in the background, not seen very often -- a Bentley or RR ( I can never tell the difference unless I'm standing in front looking at the badge) towing a trailer with a couple of motor cycles strapped down --
The racing site is the Mission circuit, east of Vancouver, in the Fraser Valley, and the event was a vintage race attracting drivers from up and down the Pacific Coast area.
The Lotus 7 is also a fine sight.

Posted Image :)

#84 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 10:17

Originally posted by bradbury west
Sorry to be a bit mundane..................

Does anyone else recall Jackie Oliver's Ford Thames 300C flatbed transporter on which he used to carry his Elan 26R in 1964? It was a rich maroon colour, like his car, and had the legend Red Rooster on the doors, possibly after a song by an up and coming but now well known period beat combo.Roger Lund

Is this where the "rich maroon"Oliver helmet colours came from?

Was Jackie :up: Oliver :up: nee Hamilton :up: on the scene then?

#85 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 22:36

At last year's Lime Rock Vintage fest, I saw an Austin Healey with a trailer next to it. After talking to the owner, I noticed he was towing the trailer WITH the Healey, with two old Vincent motorcycles on it. I'm amazed he didn't pull the back half of the frame off the car!

#86 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,707 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 17:19

Posted Image
From Mark Spaulding's collection at Watkins Glen Memories

In those days, it was great when somebody had a sponsor who was car dealer. They could all split the cost of transportation. Can you imagine the chance of the 'opposition' getting that close to one another's cars today?

#87 mikko-ville

mikko-ville

• 159 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:11

Car transporter in Finnish style.

http://personal.inet...itkari.63.5.jpg

There is some other interesting pictures in that site.

http://personal.inet...ri.tossavainen/

#88 gli77

gli77

• 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 21:11

my contribution: nice pictures of the 1971 Nürburgring paddock, in Olivier Jacquet's website, with different transporters, trucks, vans and buses:

http://perso.wanadoo.....s paddock.htm

:wave:

#89 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 21:30

I've already posted the pics of the transporter below in a recent thread, but as rdrcr pointed out they have a natural home here!

It's the ex-Team Lotus transporter from sometime in the '60s up to '73, when it was transferred to the Texaco Star Lotus F2 team. From there it went to Alexis, which is how I came to know it as I worked for them in '75. I've said a bit more about it here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And it was a big improvement on this...

Posted Image

:)

#90 dolomite

dolomite

• 954 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 13:50

Originally posted by Twin Window
I've already posted the pics of the transporter below in a recent thread, but as rdrcr pointed out they have a natural home here!

It's the ex-Team Lotus transporter from sometime in the '60s up to '73, when it was transferred to the Texaco Star Lotus F2 team. From there it went to Alexis, which is how I came to know it as I worked for them in '75. I've said a bit more about it

TW, according to Michael Oliver's Lotus 72 book this transporter was severely damaged in a road accident on the way from Jarama to Monaco in 1972. For the rest of the 1972 season Lotus used an old Bedford transporter borrowed from Tim Parnell, until this was written off in the accident on the way to Monza. It was replaced by a new 'state of the art' transporter supplied by Marshalls of Cambridge in September 1972.
Presumably the old transporter must have been repaired sometime during 1972 and handed down to the F2 team for the 1973 season.

#91 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 823 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:52

You’ll not see the like of this again, mate...

Back in the early 1970's, I was a member for several years of the Oshawa Motor Sport Club here in Ontario, Canada. The club was heavy into solo events and still is, I’m sure. I purchased a 1968 Kelly FV in the spring of ‘73 with a target of getting in on track for 1974 at my local circuit, Mosport, just 30 minutes from my home. My cousin, Robin Virtue, had been racing FV for several years already and suggested that, as he did too, move from OMSC to the Deutscher Auto Club out of Toronto since it had numerous contacts in FV racing. I did so for ‘74 but kept in touch with many of the members of OMSC. One was(and still is)my good friend, Don Forsey, a car/bike racer of the period. Don and I noviced together in 1974, he in a Toyota Celica(which he stuffed into a guardrail on the exit of the last corner at Mosport in one of our novice starts; I came ‘round to find him being stretchered away - almost veered into his Celica in surprise)
Don called me in early September of ‘74 to invite to me an OMSC meeting where there was going to be some interesting news concerning the upcoming F1GP at Mosport. Don and I attended to learn that OMSC was given the opportunity to assist in unloading all the F1 cars at Toronto’s Pearson International Airport in the days leading up to the race. Well, who’s going to turn down a deal like that? We both volunteered and on the appointed day, drove to Pearson and found our way to the ramp where two aircraft were parked. It was next to some hangers down near the end of one of the runways, well away from the terminals. Already on the concrete were two BRM’s, covered in tarpaulins. They were virtually ignored, I’m sorry to say...due largely to their being reduced to ‘also ran’ status at this point in their history. We joined the rest of the OMSC gang at the aircraft and were fascinated to see the turboprop aircraft’s tail swing to the side, opening up a clam to reveal the goods inside. Several airport staff, including a character named Rocco, whom I strongly suspected of having more than just a passing acquaintance with certain mood-altering substances, directed the off-load. Well, what goodies would we find inside?

(While all this was taking place, we noted numerous movements on the runway a short distance away. Most were jetliners of 707 ilk but occasionally, the ground shook and the hangers rumbled as the then relatively new Boeing 747's roared into the sky. Quite a treat and most definitely impressive.)

We climbed a mobile gantry to gain access to the cargo bay as a car hauler transport from a local trucking company took up station behind the aircraft. It was just like the one’s used to ship your everyday Chevy or Ford - two levels with ramps and hydraulics to raise or lower the assemblies. Ducking inside the cargo bay, we had light from a GPU(ground power unit)humming away beside the plane, supplying the juice to the plane’s lights. So what did we find? OMG!!! While I can’t recall everything from 30 years back, I so vividly recall wheeling Ronnie Peterson’s Lotus 72 off the tail on to the waiting ramps of the hauler. I’m sure there was a McLaren M23 as well. For sure, I remember tackling Vittorio Brambillia’s March. It was on an upper level deck inside the aircraft and was posing a problem in getting it down. When rolled to the end of the upper deck, the rear wing prevented us from merely running it down the ramps to the main level of the aircraft. The wing was striking the top of the fuselage. We had to employ some hand-held, jury-rigged ramps that allowed us to roll it forward a small distance off the end of the deck, tilt it a few degrees, roll it a few more inches, tip it again and so on. We had about 10 men on the ramps and there was plenty of huffing and puffing from all concerned but we got it down safe and sound. As well as the cars proper, we had a ton of spares to off-load as well. Airboxes for both McLarens and Brabhams come to mind. A series of Melmag wheel containers, light as a feather. A Cosworth DFV all neat in a little tubular frame(wondered if I could shoehorn it into the back of my Kelly...hmmmm). One young lad from the OMSC had trouble getting a tool box out from a tight space between the fuselage and the internal ramping framework. It said ‘BRM’ on the top. Before I could step into assist, he’d decided that the optimum solution was to turn it up on its end and continue rolling it over and over, end for bottom, bottom for end, end for top, until he’d gotten it down to the end of the cargo bay. Of course, all the while during this, you could various bits flailing about within. Felt like writing a note to the owner and leaving it on the box. Sorry, mack. Part way through our task, we were suddenly plunged into darkness as the GPU ran out of fuel. Rocco was dispatched to secure some fuel and returned momentarily on a tractor at speed, screaming with delight as he saved the day. It took some time to complete the job but all were very satisfied indeed with our labours.

Can you imagine this taking place today in 2004? Not an earthly.

#92 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 638 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:40

I am curious to find out who had the open back transporter on page 58 , it looks like a Fiat ?

#93 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 20:44

Hi there,
found a nice page

http://www.renntrans...2.de/index.html

cheers Marty

#94 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 23:20

Martin,

wonderful!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks for sharing.

Carles.

#95 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 14:14

Hi there,
just finished scanning slides for today (10 hours since my scanner is pretty slow :eek: )
and found something for this thread.....i am pretty sure the pic was taken at a race meeting at Mainz-Finthen airfield....the army tents in the background and the area are familiar to me....
I'll check what year and who's transporter it was (just have to find the matching program....)
cheers Marty

Posted Image

#96 Martin Roessler

Martin Roessler

• 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 23:47

here they are:

HMSC Flugplatzrennen Mainz Finthen 10/11.07.1965

# 182 Mauro Cintolesi ,Firenze It.
# 152 Carlo Benelli ,Firenze It. ,Racing Team SAS
# 154 Erich Bitter, Duesseldorf

all on Abarth 850 TC

cheers Marty

#97 dmj

dmj

• 1,959 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:18

Originally posted by Martin Roessler
here they are:

HMSC Flugplatzrennen Mainz Finthen 10/11.07.1965

# 182 Mauro Cintolesi ,Firenze It.
# 152 Carlo Benelli ,Firenze It. ,Racing Team SAS
# 154 Erich Bitter, Duesseldorf

all on Abarth 850 TC

cheers Marty

...and of course Erich Bitter went on to become more famous in another automotive field... :)

#98 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 17:40

Boy, I have been out of it for a while! The Tyrrell Transporter is wholly owned by John Delane, Mike hired to drive it and did a fantastic job of giving tours two years ago at Monterey.

I MIGHT have some insider news about the future of that transporter, sufficed to say it will not be sold or anything...

Here are a couple of modern shots from my camera. I'd LOVE to find some fantastic period shots of it with the cars in front, or the drivers, or such to run 300px wide on the web site. I know we've bought a few, but I can't seem to get my hands on them, and I'd much prefer not to spend any more money, so if there are any charitable souls, that would be fantastic.

Posted Image
the Transporter with 002 and 004 in Petaluma

Posted Image
the Transporter with (let's see here) 007/6(? - it's Nick Colyvas'), 004, 002, 009/11(?Buz'), 009/? (Knoop's), 005, 001, and 012/? (Buz')

Posted Image
with 001 and 002 (notice 002's bluff nose inside the door above Norah's drawer... waiting patiently for the day it would be revealed)

Posted Image
and 001 gets rolled in after a hard day's work. Note 002 in the fore and it's airbox sitting quietly over by the Transporter tyre (ooh, ooh, I even spelled right!... spelt? mmm..) again, waiting quietly for the day it would "give me 500 more revs in the corners!" (so said Francois)

(all available at www.TeamTyrrell.com)

#99 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 20:31

The entire outfit looks quite magnificent Ryan! :up:

Unfortunately I only took one which shows any of the transporter, but I've got a few others of the cars from 1972 and 1973. This was taken at the 1973 International Trophy at Silverstone.

Posted Image

Rob Ryder will have some better ones than me, I suspect, as we discovered (thirty years on) that we were stalking each other at a few races around then!

Advertisement

#100 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 21:04

Thanks!

Well, now, this is interesting! I've never seen the awning before... Very cool!