Posted 13 December 2004 - 21:32

A bit more of the awning for you!

Posted Image

Advertisement

#102 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 22:03

Even more awnings - this time from Sweden 1973. (apologies to the broadband challenged)

It's the same car as in Twinny's second pic - the chisel nose...

Posted Image

The business end of the transporter... with Uncle Ken lurking in the background (no Harry as far as I can see...)

Posted Image

More of the business end - closed this time.
The mechanic to the right - is he a Tyrrell? He looks a bit like Ken.

Posted Image

As you use a helmet similar to François's, Ryan - here's a bonus pic...

Posted Image

#103 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 22:23

Originally posted by conjohn

The mechanic to the right - is he a Tyrrell? He looks a bit like Ken.

Great pics, conjohn!

No, he's not 'a Tyrrell' - he's Roger Hill, their longstanding chief mechanic. Designer Derek Gardner is on the left of that shot.

#104 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:08

:wave:
Test driving the truck.!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image
Silverstone Transporter...and ,Billy chatting up a girl again!
Posted Image

Edited by eldougo, 02 February 2011 - 07:21.

#105 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 1,990 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 16:26

Originally posted by eldougo
:wave:
Test driving the truck.!!!
Posted Image

Thats a nice big Berliet there - same cab was used on the Ford Transconti which a lot of 70's/early 80s F1 teams liked - those and F series Volvos 88s & 89s. 280 BHP was a lot in those days too, especially with the nominal weight of a race team load, bet they blew past the old 180 Gardener powered Atki's and Foden's like no-one's business!

#106 delaner

delaner

• 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 19:10

conjohn an teedub... AWESOME!

Thanks for the insights, great, great stuff!

Yes, for Monaco I was asked not to wear the Cevert lookalike helmet; it seems Jacqueline (who was there to watch) took it a bit personally. Understandable, and my thought was never to "assume" or "imitate", but rather to honor and respect this great driver and car by making the picture complete (if a bit slower). To me, the car without the helmet is a bit like a book without a dustjacket... you know the title, but you may not recognize it... it's the difference between, "Oh, there goes a Tyrrell" and "AH, look at Cevert's old Tyrrell!" It just makes the remembrance so much more complete.

BUT, as I said, it was never my intention to hurt anyone's feelings and I'm afraid I might've. I pose this not because of anything that was said, but to solicit more opinion on the subject. I think I'm going to redo the helmet in the same design with my own colors. But I'm not sure if that's the right comprimise, either.

I was at Pau for that historic race, and seven or eight of the Formula Ford drivers had imitation Cevert helmets of their own taste, and they were all French! So it can't be all bad...

BUT I DIGRESS! Thank you for the FANTASTIC pictures! I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but if you don't mind, I'll at least download them for my archive and hopefully throw up a news story that uses one (or some).

Cheers!!!! :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :up: :up:

#107 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 23:39

:)
Ghinzani you are sure right about is speed ,Brian the truck driver won the BIG Boot award for the quickest time from the UK to Monza in 1979.He stand proudly with the Ceramic Boot trophy.I wonder if it still being used today around the F1 Truckies.

Posted Image

#108 dolomite

dolomite

• 947 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 00:53

Eldougo, does that 'Boot Award' any connection with this?
(F1 transporter windscreen sticker that I photographed at Silverstone '81)

Posted Image

#109 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 01:17

Originally posted by delaner

Yes, for Monaco I was asked not to wear the Cevert lookalike helmet; it seems Jacqueline (who was there to watch) took it a bit personally. Understandable, and my thought was never to "assume" or "imitate", but rather to honor and respect this great driver and car by making the picture complete (if a bit slower). To me, the car without the helmet is a bit like a book without a dustjacket... you know the title, but you may not recognize it... it's the difference between, "Oh, there goes a Tyrrell" and "AH, look at Cevert's old Tyrrell!" It just makes the remembrance so much more complete.

BUT, as I said, it was never my intention to hurt anyone's feelings and I'm afraid I might've. I pose this not because of anything that was said, but to solicit more opinion on the subject.

You should absolutely stick with the respective helmets, wherever it's not causing offence. IMHO, the biggest difference between the US and European historic guys is that you chaps - as a group - do a way better job of recreating the original 'article' overall. The cars are more accurately liveried, and the look-a-likey helmets really 'make it'. And all credit to you for doing so... :clap:

Thank you for the FANTASTIC pictures! I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but if you don't mind, I'll at least download them for my archive and hopefully throw up a news story that uses one (or some).

For starters, you can use mine if you wish Ryan. :up:

#110 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 08:02

Originally posted by dolomite
Eldougo, does that 'Boot Award' any connection with this?
(F1 transporter windscreen sticker that I photographed at Silverstone '81)

Posted Image

#111 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,755 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:30

I've mentioned before the very basic means the BRM team (etc) used to get their cars around in Australia during the Tasman Cup series...

Well, it seems they dived to even lower depths during their 1961 tour, this Robert Britton photograph is from Warwick Farm:

Posted Image

#112 clarko1230

clarko1230

• 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:05

Hi all:
This is my first post at Atlas F1
I am a Lotus Collector from Spain and I want to inform you that Spark Models has plans to release a JPS Lotus support vehicule. :eek:
If you have photos or info contact Spark models or send photos to the forum
I have several photos of Pete Lovely´s WV transporter and I would be happy to share photos of Lotus Transporters
You can see also a 1/43 model of it at www.renntransporter132.de
I built myself
Best Regards
Martin

#113 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,755 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 14:04

Nice to have you along...

Don't be shy, will you? And did you post in the 'Introductions' thread?

#114 Keir

Keir

• 5,214 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 14:16

My Vee was transported on a single axle trailer pulled by a 1977 Honda Civic CVCC 5 speed which at one point before it's untimely death became a "four speed" !!

#115 Morten Alstrup

Morten Alstrup

• 35 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 15:19

I am in the process of preparing an article about the history of racing car transporters, and I thought it might be a good idea to have at look at TNF, as it might give me a few ideas. Well, few isn't really the word with all the entries on this thread.

Personally my fascination for race car transporters started the first time I saw a real one, which was the old blue Team Tyrrell transporter. Headed by a smaller Mercedes van (probably from the 508 range) from the Wolf team, it passed through the E45 route just outside my childhood house in Denmark in 1977, as the circus headed to Anderstorp in Sweden.

There is something special about race car transporters. They are often big, but the potent thing is not the truck itself, but what's inside. Secondly, they also manage to create that certain excitement, as now the circus is moving into town. I still have this feeling, even though today's race car transporters are more or less similar with the only exception being whether they are built to carry single seaters or saloons.

As it is a historical article, I am preparing, I am in the search for pictures of such a quality and size that they can be used for magazine printing, so I would be very grateful for any help, you might be able to provide.

I have a few pictures in my archive of how the Danes transported their racing cars in the past. The first is a picture of what must have been one of the smallest ever, the trailer carrying the Austin Mini of multiple Danish saloon car championship, Erik Høyer, who is seen with his ever loyal mechanic, Poul Heichendorff, around 1970.

Posted Image

The two other pictures are of an old bus that was converted around 1957-1958 by Scuderia Centro Nord for the purpose of transporting mainly its trio of 500 cc F3s around the country.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although it is not a photograph of mine, those of you with an interest into race car transporters should also have a look at the following link (remember to scroll down) :

http://users.burtras...pb/blandade.htm

I am looking forward to hearing from any of you who can supply original photos for my article.

#116 thecako

thecako

• 169 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:31

:)

Some photos of martini racing porsche truck at le mans 1976
copyricht: Claude Parpex

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did some one have other photos of this truck? :confused:

gregoire

Posted Image

#117 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 13:45

Originally posted by delaner
Here are a couple of modern shots from my camera. I'd LOVE to find some fantastic period shots of it with the cars in front, or the drivers, or such to run 300px wide on the web site. I know we've bought a few, but I can't seem to get my hands on them, and I'd much prefer not to spend any more money, so if there are any charitable souls, that would be fantastic.

I don't know about fantastic photographs but here are a few I took at the 1971 British Grand Prix which you are welcome to use if you wish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

David

#118 clarko1230

clarko1230

• 62 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:45

Hi all:
Here is a link that will like you
It is a japanesse page where you can download Paper F1 models from the early sixties including a Ferrari Transporter
You can find also Lotuses, Ferrari,Porsche and BRM
Mr.Ichiyama who runs the site is looking for photos of Lotus transporters used between 1961-1965
If you have something, contact him or put the photos in the forum
He is looking for BRM transporters too used in that period

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~kamaboko/

Best Regards
Martin

#119 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 00:05

This transporter was previously owned by Ron Harris and had been left rotting behind Mike Spence Ltd. Ron got the guys from the 'Local' to help clean it up.

This photo was taken in August 1971 at Kinnekullering in Sweden

(Ray thanks for the suggestion, you are correct it was something in the scan.)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#120 TonyCotton

TonyCotton

• 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:58

I apologise if this is off thread, but one of my favoutrite transporters, due to its sheer eccentricity, is the Land Rover used for transporting the Rover-BRM to LeMans, as featured in the wonderful Rover film on one of the Motor Films Quarterly videos. It appeared to have a hydraulically kneeling rear suspension, and be based on the big forward control Land Rover of the period, but the kneeling would imply it was FWD only, not 4WD. An interesting example, I think, of a transporter as different and thought provoking as the car it was carrying. Does anybody know some facts about it or is it dealt with on another thread? Presumably it was broken up?

At a different level of the sport. I guess Steve Wilkinson will like me remember the sheer style of the late Tom Hammonds who used an immaculate short wheelbase Audi Quattro Sport (correct me if I'm wrong) to tow his equally immaculate in a different way "Pikes Peak" Quattro Sport hillclimber. I remember it arriving in the paddock at Prescott in the late 80's, parking up ready to unload and with a huge bang the coolant was dumped on the tarmac. IIRC the racer ran faultlessly.

#121 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 13:08

Originally posted by TonyCotton

At a different level of the sport. I guess Steve Wilkinson will like me remember the sheer style of the late Tom Hammonds who used an immaculate short wheelbase Audi Quattro Sport (correct me if I'm wrong) to tow his equally immaculate in a different way "Pikes Peak" Quattro Sport hillclimber. I remember it arriving in the paddock at Prescott in the late 80's, parking up ready to unload and with a huge bang the coolant was dumped on the tarmac. IIRC the racer ran faultlessly.

Tom went hillclimbing in grand style, it's one of the most memorable competition cars I've ever seen. It's a pity we didn't see more cars like that on the hills here - from a pure spectacle point of view, anyway; the cost must've been eye-watering ;)

#122 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 14:23

Originally posted by TonyCotton
I apologise if this is off thread, but one of my favoutrite transporters, due to its sheer eccentricity, is the Land Rover used for transporting the Rover-BRM to LeMans, as featured in the wonderful Rover film on one of the Motor Films Quarterly videos. It appeared to have a hydraulically kneeling rear suspension, and be based on the big forward control Land Rover of the period, but the kneeling would imply it was FWD only, not 4WD. An interesting example, I think, of a transporter as different and thought provoking as the car it was carrying. Does anybody know some facts about it or is it dealt with on another thread? Presumably it was broken up?

Got a feeling that the kneeling Land Rover gets at least a mention (and a picture) in Graham Robson's book "The Rover Story". I'll have a look tonight, and if it sheds any light on the subject, I'll report back.

#123 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,139 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:38

Originally posted by ian senior

Got a feeling that the kneeling Land Rover gets at least a mention (and a picture) in Graham Robson's book "The Rover Story". I'll have a look tonight, and if it sheds any light on the subject, I'll report back.

The book doesn't say much, unfortunately, except to confirm that it was indeed front wheel drive only, and that the cab was modified to give a more substantial and attractive appearance compared with the rather stark standard issue job. There is a nice picture, though.

#124 clarko1230

clarko1230

• 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:13

Originally posted by jph

Fantastic article - thanks for posting it; and also all the others finding their way on to this thread. Further proof of impending senility however: I would have sworn that when I saw the Poore truck in the Donington museum a few years ago, if it was not not fully restored, at least it was in a slightly less dishevelled state than it is shown here.

Does anyone know anything about the Vanwall vehicle referred to in the article?

Hi All:
I have found a Pete Lovely´VW transporter photo
I have built the van plus the Lotus in 1/43 scale
Does anyone have more info and photos about this van?
Regards
Posted Image

#125 clarko1230

clarko1230

• 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:17

The 1/43 model........
Hope you like it.
Posted Image

#126 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,196 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:31

:wave: :up:

Good job there...clarko1230 :up: GREAT

#127 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,023 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 12:50

In the tribute to Jenks book he tells a tale of Innes Ireland hauling a GT40 on a trailer behind an Aston Martin. Does anybody have a photo? Or know of one?

#128 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 13:17

clarko1230, what a lovely view of Pete's car, trailer and personnel ....

#129 clarko1230

clarko1230

• 62 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 13:40

Hi again:
He comes another pic:
Posted Image

#130 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 14:16

Originally posted by clarko1230

Hi All:
I have found a Pete Lovely´VW transporter photo
I have built the van plus the Lotus in 1/43 scale
Does anyone have more info and photos about this van?
Regards

You could try emailing JB Miltonian, he's a friend of Pete's.

#131 Evo One

Evo One

• 234 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 15:51

Someone mentioned Lancia's transporter which was given to Ferrari with the D50s. 'Fraid I can't help with that one but the following pic was a rather nice Lancia transporter that was for sale about a year ago:

http://img152.echo.c...1/esatau7vo.jpg

Anyone know anything about it?

#132 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 17:37

In the late seventies, a UK based Formula Atlantic driver named Alo Lawler had a bus based transporter that was supposedly ex Dan Gurney. My very first experience in motor racing was a trip to the ceremonial scrutineering in Dublin for the Phoenix Park races in that bus. It came about as follows. The local petrol station in the area of Dublin I grew up in was owned by the father of Bernard Devaney, who was doing very well in UK FF at the time. I suppose through Bernard, Alo Lawler based himself out of the petrol station when he came to do the Leinster Trophy and the Phoenix Park on consecutive weekends in '78 or '79. My brother worked at the petrol station so after school everyday I went to see to bright yellow Chevron B29. The team mechanic, one Colin Bennet, was very freindly and allowed me to sit in the car everyday for a week. When thursday night came and time to go across town to the scrutineering, Mr. Bennet, much to the horror of my older brother, invited me along for the ride. It was one of those dearly cherished memories.

I wonder does anyone here have a picture of that transporter, and if so please share it as I would love to see if my memory is accurate.

Mo.

#133 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:48

Transporters in the 60s were very basic open trailers. Here is one carrying the Owen & Knight Cooper Streamliner at Westwood Circuit in the early 60s.

Mention of Pete Lovely in earlier postings prompted me to show this Cooper with a Porsche engine. This was similar to Lovely's Cooper Porsche he called the "Pooper".

When I raced the Owen & Knight Streamliner it was powered with a Coventry Climax 1100 cc engine.

[IMG]http://img184.echo.c...rtail4nb.th.jpg[/IMG]

#134 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 630 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 09:54

I think the Alo Lawlor Transporter was an ex Dave Price purpose built truck , will endevour to hunt out a pic . Could Mo Murray be the same Maurice Murray of MRMCI fame all those years ago, as I am if so you should remember me .

#135 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:17

Originally posted by MoMurray

I wonder does anyone here have a picture of that transporter, and if so please share it as I would love to see if my memory is accurate.

Mo.

Splendid memories. I remember Alo's Chevron well from Aintree.

Colin Bennett did well for himself, too, getting as far as entries in Aurora F1, "single-seater" Can-Am and later F3000. I think he even ran one of the Domes at Le Mans in the mid-80s... one of the unsung heroes...

#136 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 15:09

Originally posted by D-Type
In the tribute to Jenks book he tells a tale of Innes Ireland hauling a GT40 on a trailer behind an Aston Martin. Does anybody have a photo? Or know of one?

No photo I'm afraid, both the GT40 and DB5 belonged to Bernard White and that Zeltweg outing in 1966 must have been a one off.

Now is anyone here old enough to remember the "magnificent ex-Royal Blue Coach which has been converted to carry three cars", I'm quoting "Sports Car and Lotus Owner" from 1958. This transported cars which were maintained on behalf of their owners by Innes Ireland Limited. Seemingly it was once "a common sight at race meetings in this country."

Photo anyone?

#137 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 15:40

While we're thinking of Jenks transporter stories -- the one about Bruce Halford's old coach coming over the Alps is a good'un, as is the one about going to the opera in Verona in a transporter.... particularly the bit about arguing over car parking spaces!

(off the top of my head, the first is in 'A Story Of Formula One', the second in 'A Passion For Motor Sport')...

#138 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 16:38

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD

I think the Alo Lawlor Transporter was an ex Dave Price purpose built truck , will endevour to hunt out a pic . Could Mo Murray be the same Maurice Murray of MRMCI fame all those years ago, as I am if so you should remember me .

The very same Maurice Murray. And you would be the same E. Fitzgerald I presume...

Small world, isn't it?

Mo.

#139 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 22:28

The Innes Ireland Limited ex-Royal Blue Coach transporter:

Posted Image

Silverstone International Trophy 1959 perhaps?

Advertisement

#140 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 236 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:58

Hi

I spotted (quite some time back) earlier in this thread mention of my old ex-Dennis Poore transporter & streamlined trailer.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The trailer was originally built pre-war, then widened and fitted with the enclosed canopy when the Alfa Romeo was purchased just after the war. The winch is built from the crownwheel and pinion of a pre-war racing MG that Poore campaigned. Story goes that once the trailer had been modified, they tested it up to 98mph - although quite what was used to tow it at that speed is sadly unknown..

I do have one fuzzy photo of the Dodge when it was on display in the Donington GP Museum, but if anyone has a better shot that'd be great.

When I found it, the old girl had been parked up outside for some time and the weather had taken its toll. A certain amount of vandalism, and the fact that it was full of rubbish, didn't help much. Windows and dials were smashed, and someone crudely hacksawed the top of the steering column (and wheel) off. Since getting it, I've had it stored in various (dry) barns and hangars until such time that I could park the thing at home and start doing some work on it. This we did last year, and I've now got it and the trailer at home. Some work has begun on the front end panelwork, the wings etc coming up a treat after the attentions of an excellent panelbeater. Mechanically she seems in good order and drives nicely (albeit no brakes).

More about the dodge can be found here:
Dodge racing car transporter

On the subject of transporters, have a look at this little Ford van used by Cooper. I run a website for the E83W vans (www.e83w.co.uk), and a guy sent me these pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Does anyone know what happened to this little Ford and trailer??

cheers
Rick

#141 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 418 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:54

No photos I'm afraid but after the Argentinian GP in 1960 , all the cars were tranported over the mountains by two Daf Mosquito open transporters ,the two drivers looking like bandits who had the nicknames of "cerveca " and " pistola" !
We all flew to Cordoba and two days later the two dusty transporters arrived ,the drivers looking even more evil by this time .
Should anyone have a photo of these it would be nice to relive the memory .
This was also the occasion of my drive in a 250F , I sat in it whilst we unloaded it from the top deck . Compared to the Louses ,it was like sitting in an armchair !

#142 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,237 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:45

Originally posted by clarko1230
Hi again:
He comes another pic:
Posted Image

'70 French GP??? :eek:
It seems Pete Lovely carried his white beetle-van with the Lotus up to France!

I imagine the face of some pacific French driver who looks at this strange car on top of this van, running the roads around Clermont Ferrand, while overtaking... :rotfl:

#143 thecako

thecako

• 169 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:18

Norisring 1977 :clap:

Posted Image Posted Image

Norisring 1978 :rolleyes:

Posted Image Posted Image

Copyricht W Thierack

Gregoire

www.martini-racing.new.fr

#144 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 17:58

An interesting tale from WB in the May 1998 issue of Motor Sport. The "battered forward-drive Ford 30cwt vehicle" ( reg no. EPB 657) in which Jock Horsfall transported the body of "Major Martin" of "Operation Mincemeat" fame ( Google it to learn more) was "probably" the vehicle he used to transport his ERA to pre-war race meetings.

#145 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,023 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 21:28

Not exactly a transporter, but not worth a new thread. Today I passed an ordinary caravan being towed by an AC Cobra or Cobra replica. It's hard to think of a less appropriate tow car.

#146 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 00:10

The Leyland Tyrrell transporter could be seen and visited at this week-end's Nuerburgring Old Timer GP. Here are some pictures :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#147 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 00:14

And there was also the Gold Leaf Team Lotus transporter :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#148 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:42

jph,

This is certainly not in keeping with the spirit of your original inquiry but I thought you might
have a good laugh at what is transporting some historic racing cars today. BRIC - 2005 Posted Image

Continental Motorcars is from south Chicago and has been a Ferrari dealer for many years.

#149 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:01

Ligier transporter and Gordini truck at LM Classic 2004
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(In the first picture, I'm the muppet with the big grin :p )

#150 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 07:32

Antonie,
I didn't recognize you with the short hair ;)