Photo

Transporters

• Please log in to reply
2905 replies to this topic

#2751 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:20

Rob Walker used that type of Commer , so did Scirocco and Emeryson I believe. Another possible user could have been Peter Berry Racing Ltd. but I have no pictures of that.

Turns out that the Commer belongs to the poster's father, and was used to transport (at various times) an Allard and a C-Type Jaguar. It was parked up in 71/72 when the owner retired from racing. For Arttidesco's interest there is a fuller reply from the OP on the PH forum. He seems happy to accept PMs if you need to know more.

Advertisement

#2752 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:24

Sorry then , I'll just back off.

#2753 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:48

Sorry then , I'll just back off.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, I was a bit tired last night. It has ocurred to me that only Pistonheads members will be able to send Personal Messages, and I am more than willing to act as a go-between if necessary. I will now gracefully retire into the shadows.. exit stage left.

#2754 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 15:36

nicanary , when you have finished resting in the shadows , please get back on stage , I'd like to take up your offer for of connecting for help. I'd like to know anything on this Commer like : When his father got it , and from whom etc.

#2755 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 236 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:11

nicanary , when you have finished resting in the shadows , please get back on stage , I'd like to take up your offer for of connecting for help. I'd like to know anything on this Commer like : When his father got it , and from whom etc.

Hi Bjorn, I did ask the owner's son for more info, nothing as yet.

RJ

#2756 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09

Hi Bjorn, I did ask the owner's son for more info, nothing as yet.

RJ

I received an e-mail from the son yesterday, but was going to wait until he had contacted his dad for more info on dates. Meanwhile I can tell you that he believes it was converted from an ice-cream delivery truck (wholesale I would imagine, rather than a dispensing van), and has channels for the car over the wheel-arches, and the loading ramps fitted under these. The body is mainly alloy, and therefore in reasonable nick, but the rear valance is steel, and has rotted. The roof is fabric over plywood, and as you can imagine, there's not much left. He believes that the engine could be made to run with only a minimum of work.

The history we have ascertained so far suggests that it probably does not have great historical significance, but it's interesting all the same. It's far too early to enquire whether dad would sell IMO. The practicality of using an old truck for historic meetings has been discussed on this thread before - it'll look nice in the paddock, but who wants to drive 100 miles at 40 mph? (I'm reading Tony Robinson's biography at the moment, and apparently the Bruce Halford coach had higher gearing than usual for such a vehicle, but still maxed-out at 38 mph!

#2757 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:37

I received an e-mail from the son yesterday, but was going to wait until he had contacted his dad for more info on dates. Meanwhile I can tell you that he believes it was converted from an ice-cream delivery truck (wholesale I would imagine, rather than a dispensing van), and has channels for the car over the wheel-arches, and the loading ramps fitted under these. The body is mainly alloy, and therefore in reasonable nick, but the rear valance is steel, and has rotted. The roof is fabric over plywood, and as you can imagine, there's not much left. He believes that the engine could be made to run with only a minimum of work.

The history we have ascertained so far suggests that it probably does not have great historical significance, but it's interesting all the same. It's far too early to enquire whether dad would sell IMO. The practicality of using an old truck for historic meetings has been discussed on this thread before - it'll look nice in the paddock, but who wants to drive 100 miles at 40 mph? (I'm reading Tony Robinson's biography at the moment, and apparently the Bruce Halford coach had higher gearing than usual for such a vehicle, but still maxed-out at 38 mph!

I was wondering how the Mercedes Benz Lo 2570 and Auto Union Büssing Typ 300 trucks made it to Goodwood, that could be a very slow 500 plus miles they drove and presumably they would not have used motorway's and autobahns because they would have struggled to reach the minimum speed restrictions.

#2758 colinsays

colinsays

• 97 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 14:57

Not sure if this pic has been posted before but it is so nice.....
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#2759 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:14

Not sure if this pic has been posted before but it is so nice.....

Love the way Clay's helmet is almost perfectly aligned with the T2's air intake, but what is going on with the side pod at the rear ?

A rally jacket perhaps on top of the bodywork but a non matching inset to bodywork below it :confused:

Advertisement

#2760 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 15:20

Love the way Clay's helmet is almost perfectly aligned with the T2's air intake, but what is going on with the side pod at the rear ?

A rally jacket perhaps on top of the bodywork but a non matching inset to bodywork below it :confused:

Clay looks a happy man.

Can't see much wrong with the bodywork. Just a trick of the light. The white bit coming down from the airbox is the square for the number so makes it look a bit odd.

#2761 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,205 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:03

It's the section in front of the radiator which looks strange to me. This was normally all white and plastered with sponsor stickers, as in this photo:

http://www.flickr.co...foto/3307770252

On the Regazzoni/transporter shot, as Arttidesco says, there's an all-red patch which looks like a bit of a hasty bodge to me.

#2762 rhegra

rhegra

• 88 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:21

I think the picture was made at Fiorano with a test car. And the transporter could have been brandnew - no license plate...

#2763 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,070 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:49

I am not sure if this site has been mentioned already:

http://www.hardtuned...g/ractrans.html

#2764 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:35

I am not sure if this site has been mentioned already:

http://www.hardtuned...g/ractrans.html

Interesting site ...

and flattered they nicked one of my photo's but I take a dim view of folks who nick photo's from TNF and then chop off copyright marks and leave no obvious contact method :mad:

Edited by arttidesco, 27 September 2012 - 10:38.

#2765 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 236 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 15:00

Interesting site ...

and flattered they nicked one of my photo's but I take a dim view of folks who nick photo's from TNF and then chop off copyright marks and leave no obvious contact method :mad:

I noticed a few pics of mine on there, no harm done but it'd be nice to credit the source at least. An interesting assortment of photos though.

R

#2766 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 16:00

Nothing but theft from start to end.

#2767 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,148 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 21:54

Bjorn,do you have any photos of Moffats truck in Australia,as it had a long life with him.

#2768 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,652 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 23:12

Bjorn,do you have any photos of Moffats truck in Australia,as it had a long life with him.

Which one? The Ford. Bowden has that now and uses it to carry some of his fleet.
The Acco? There was two, the first one burnt to the ground coming to Adelaide.The second I believe is still around

#2769 Librules

Librules

• 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:56

Which one? The Ford. Bowden has that now and uses it to carry some of his fleet.
The Acco? There was two, the first one burnt to the ground coming to Adelaide.The second I believe is still around

I think Chris Clearihan was using it to transport some of his cars. Can't remember if it's still in his hand..............

#2770 Librules

Librules

• 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:56

I think Chris Clearihan was using it to transport some of his cars. Can't remember if it's still in his hand..............

whoops . make that hands...........

#2771 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:23

The Acco,more period photos then in its current role.I'm so over historic race cars that are not raced that just become hanger queens.

#2772 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:13

Sorry , no pictures .

#2773 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:45

Sorry , no pictures .

Spent a few hours last night...........looking over your book again,some of those transporters of the 60s ie Brabham,BRM are awesome.
What happened to the Brabham coach? :up:

#2774 Librules

Librules

• 59 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:41

Yep, the Bowdens now have the Moff transporter, but I'd forgotten that Norm Bolitho had it after Chris Clearihan. The transporter he used after the ACCO may interest a few if they haven't seen it before. I saw it in the flesh at the Island a few years ago and it looked pretty schmick....

http://www.motorspor...news/dennis.htm

#2775 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:51

Yep, the Bowdens now have the Moff transporter, but I'd forgotten that Norm Bolitho had it after Chris Clearihan. The transporter he used after the ACCO may interest a few if they haven't seen it before. I saw it in the flesh at the Island a few years ago and it looked pretty schmick....

http://www.motorspor...news/dennis.htm

I think that unit is now back in the UK.

#2776 Brimen

Brimen

• 21 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:19

This is part of a photo showing the BP autotanker at Grand Prix in Belgium, 1961.

Rumors says it later was sold to Denmark !!!

Can anyone light any shade about that ???

Posted Image

Brimen
NORWAY

:well: :well: :well: :well:

#2777 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 21:40

This is part of a photo showing the BP autotanker at Grand Prix in Belgium, 1961.

Rumors says it later was sold to Denmark !!!

Can anyone light any shade about that ???

Brimen
NORWAY

:well: :well: :well: :well:

Top pic :up:

I think my Matchbox copy got sent to the county tip with a consignment of other treasures by my Mum who erroneously thought I had grown out them :rotfl:

Edited by arttidesco, 01 October 2012 - 18:35.

#2778 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:42

Rob Walker used that type of Commer , so did Scirocco and Emeryson I believe. Another possible user could have been Peter Berry Racing Ltd. but I have no pictures of that.

On the basis that it is a Commer Superpoise, it is worth noting that early Lotus single seater entrant John Fisher from Portsmouth also ran such a vehicle, so its provenence could be significant. It is advertised for sale in Autosport 30.9.1960
Roger Lund

#2779 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:32

On the basis that it is a Commer Superpoise, it is worth noting that early Lotus single seater entrant John Fisher from Portsmouth also ran such a vehicle, so its provenence could be significant. It is advertised for sale in Autosport 30.9.1960
Roger Lund

I have not yet heard back from my original source, but it is indeed a Superpoise. And my source, one Max Croot, resides on the South Coast. Interesting.

(As an aside, his profile on PH informs us that he is European Tarmac Drag-Racing Snowmobile Champion 1000cc... gosh. Shades od GV!)

Advertisement

#2780 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:43

Presumably with that name and location he may be related to Brian Croot.
RL

#2781 Tony Kingston

Tony Kingston

• 75 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:00

Here is one. The restaurated Auto Union Trasnporter, a Büssing.

Posted Image

And one original picture:
Posted Image

This "you tube" link, which I posted on the monza banking thread, has some footage of a similar, if not the same, vehicle negotiating the alps.

#2782 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 14:52

Brimen : http://forums.autosp...w...107830&st=0
The car was build by the Thompson Bros. in conjunction with Leyland. It was a 4 axle with a Leyland 12 litre engine and entrance at the front. (And a hatch in the roof for escape.).
It was ready and shown at the Earls Court 1960 and supposed to havew gone to work in diverse places , among them Denmark . If that happened I do not know , but it was seen at the Belgian GP in 1961..

Tony K : Thanks for the link .

Bradbury West : Thanks for the Fisher info.

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 29 September 2012 - 14:56.

#2783 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 17:08

Hi Lola 5000 , the Brabham transporter went to Theodore racing for F1.

#2784 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:46

And HB Ensign F1 team.............!

#2785 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,148 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:05

And HB Ensign F1 team.............!

Thankyou Bjorn,is it still around,great looking rig. :up:

#2786 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:18

Roger Lund

Not having heard from Max Croot for a couple of weeks, I have just e-mailed him for an update, stressing that the Forum does not wish to appear to be intrusive. I have suggested to him that if I do not hear from him within 48 hrs, I will assume that it is in order to publish his contact details for the use of forum members.

It does seem from what he claims that the Commer is eminently restorable.

#2787 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:31

Not having heard from Max Croot for a couple of weeks, I have just e-mailed him for an update, stressing that the Forum does not wish to appear to be intrusive. I have suggested to him that if I do not hear from him within 48 hrs, I will assume that it is in order to publish his contact details for the use of forum members.

It does seem from what he claims that the Commer is eminently restorable.

Whilst I applaud your enthusiasm, might I suggest publishing anyone's contact details on a forum is never a good idea :cool:

Posted Image

Meanwhile here is an old favorite left hooker on the streets of it's home town on Sunday.

#2788 rhegra

rhegra

• 88 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:06

A newspaper maybe ,but what newspaper? and there are too many differences beetween the sizes of the transporters and the cars foreground,it seems like if two parts have been joined .
this picture was shot in 2007 not1970 . Probably a photoshop ,if you want I can add a forth transporter in that picture .

Dear Tarpon, I just got number 122, the May 1973 issue of the Porsche magazine Christophorus. On page 5 you can find an arial view of the new Porsche Weissach test center - nearly the same picture with a slightly other section with all the three transporters and both the LP 608. Take a look if you can. I doubt that Porsche used fotoshop in 1973. Hopefully the end of all your far fetched conspiracy theories.

#2789 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 13:41

I have just received an e-mail from Max Croot concerning the mystery transporter stored on his father's farm. It was constructed by Lee Brothers of Bournemouth on the Commer chassis for use in the retail delivery trade, and was subsequently sold back to them, possibly in part-exchange for a new vehicle.

Brian Croot, who is indeed the father of my correspondent, bought the Commer from Lee Bros. in 1960, and converted it himself for use in transporting his car/s. His last race was at Crystal Palace in 1972, and it is believed the truck has not moved for about 35 years. What I didn't know, but I'm sure some TNF members will, is that the "Allard" referred to was Tommy Sopwith's Sphinx sports-racer, re-engined by Brian Croot with a Jaguar motor. Interesting. Is it still about?

#2790 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 15:57

I assume by Allard you mean the Sopwith Sphinx. This originally had an Armstrong Siddeley 3.4 litre six cylinder engine with triple Webber carbs, pre-select gearbox, body work by Abbey Panels and Allard chassis. In its day it was quick but suffered from lack of development, Tommy Sopwith sold it without its engine and it was rebuilt with a Jaguar motor. About ten years ago it was thought to be in France.

#2791 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 20:29

Act now going fast, usual disclaimers apply.

#2792 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 22:25

Seeing this thread back on the front page reminded me. Bjorn hasn't posted for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if there's a reason?

#2793 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:44

[quote name='Leigh Trevail' date='Oct 27 2012, 15:57' post='5991017']
I assume by Allard you mean the Sopwith Sphinx. This originally had an Armstrong Siddeley 3.4 litre six cylinder engine with triple Webber carbs, pre-select gearbox, body work by Abbey Panels and Allard chassis. In its day it was quick but suffered from lack of development, Tommy Sopwith sold it without its engine and it was rebuilt with a Jaguar motor. About ten years ago it was thought to be in France.

Yep. Max Croot had originally said that his dad had raced an Allard, but when I heard it was the Tommy Sopwith car I use inverted commas for the Allard title. Still, an interesting piece of history, and I'd love to see it at the Revival in the 50s sports-car race. Maybe it's in one of those obscure French museums that seem to crop up in places we don't expect.

#2794 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,205 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:51

Seeing this thread back on the front page reminded me. Bjorn hasn't posted for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if there's a reason?

He's still around, Duncan. According to his profile he last checked into the BB this morning.

#2795 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:46

What a world , if first you enter the internet , it is not only the Secret Service or CIA or FBI or...........its all who can spy on you. I'll take my coat and go for a walk with my daughters dog ! Don't put Google on me ! Ha-ha!

Edited by Bjorn Kjer, 28 October 2012 - 13:34.

#2796 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:51

Bjorn, I was worried as I hadn't seen a posting from you for about 3 weeks, which is unusual. Sorry if my concern upset you.

Tim, I didn't know about the"last seen" function and was working from the "last posting"

Edited by D-Type, 28 October 2012 - 12:54.

#2797 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:35

No upset here , just wondering. Anything up for arguing or discussions?

#2798 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 13:38

It is pleasing to see some Austin K8s in the Snetterton archive shots which Andrew has posted.
Roger Lund

#2799 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 236 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:51

I'm not sure if The Stilltime Collection's site has been mentioned here yet? A quick search on TNF didn't bring it up, but apologies if these have already been mentioned.

Anyway, these two shots of a post-war Commer are of interest:
Commer transporter
Commer 2

Two of a fully-liveried K8
Austin K8
Austin K8 2

Plus support vehicles

RJ

Advertisement

#2800 nicanary

nicanary

• 444 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:16

I think the Austin K8 may be instantly recognisable to most TNF regulars.