Lazy bugger looking for advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 15:10

People,
I live in Ireland, and have never been to a grand prix before. I'll be looking to go to at least 1 European Grand Prix next year. Now this is where I'm looking for advice- which Grand Prix should I go to next year? Which is the best value? The easiest to get to, etc, etc, etc... Should I even rule out a North American Grand Prix (perhaps ticket prices + flight costs may be cheaper then all expenses for going to a European GP)? I'm (probably) not 100% clueless... it's nearer to 99% :lol:
I'd probably be looking for the cheapest option available (tickets, flights, accomodation, etc.), as a few fair weather F1 fans said they'd interested. They probably would not be if you're talking about a reasonably expensive trip.

Thank you in advance :up:

Advertisement

#2 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 23:39

The best value is probably a Silver ticket at Spa, cheap flights to Belgium via Ryan Air. Their train system is excellent so you should be able to stay overnight in Liege or even Brussel.

#3 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 15:24

I've not done Spa (yet) so can't dispute kartlh's advice, but Spain can also be done on the cheap (realatively). 3 Day granstand tickets + flights were cheaper than general admission at Silverstone in 2002.
Plus the trains are superb, the circuit is a doddle to get to from Barcelona - which is a fantastic city.
I thoroughly recommend rolling it in with a bit of a holiday which makes it even better value.

#4 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 15:37

Originally posted by Garagiste
I thoroughly recommend rolling it in with a bit of a holiday which makes it even better value.

Totally agree. If you have the means and time then try to something a bit more than just the GP. It'll make the experience that much fuller.

I've been to both GPs and although tha Spa circuit and surroundings are much more charming than those in Spain, Barcelona city itself can hardly be beat.

If you are into old time Formula 1, beer, great food and pleasant calm countryside and cities then I'd recommend the Belgian GP. If you are looking for great nightlife, a cosmopolitan city and sun than I'd pick the Spanish GP.

#5 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 21:53

Karth and Garagiste,
First of all thank you very much for replying to my post! I suppose my choice of GP would be out of Spa, Barcelona, Silverstone, or Indy (a real dark horse). Could you give me your thoughts on a package deal versus ordering all items individually (i.e. order flights, and tickets, and accomodation...)

Again, thank you very much for your help :kiss: :up:

#6 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 00:56

Can't tell you about package deals, I booked my tickets, flights and hotel all with a little help from Google. Really no problem. I also can't be bothered to dig up the thread from the time right now, but if you can find the tiny "search BB" link at the top right, or just change the prefs on this forum to "from the beginning" (or maybe you need the archive now, dunno it's late :drunk: ) you'll find all sorts of handy earlier posts.
Good luck! :up:

#7 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,258 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:58

Silverstone?
Don't bother going to that village feté

Like was suggested Spa or Barça...
or like you say Indy...
also the fact that Montreal is the week before you could do a 2 for 1.
Montreal is/was a rockin' town..I imagine the AtlasF1 party up there will spill down south to Indiana as well!!!

Jp

#8 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:33

Originally posted by Garagiste
...if you can find the tiny "search BB" link at the top right, or just change the prefs on this forum to "from the beginning" (or maybe you need the archive now, dunno it's late :drunk: ) you'll find all sorts of handy earlier posts.
Good luck! :up:

Did you not read the title of this thread? I'm a "Lazy bugger..." :lol: :blush:

#9 Irvine`s Love Child

Irvine`s Love Child

• 1,170 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:44

If travelling from Belfast is an option for you AD ( you in Donegal ? ) here`s an idea on what I`ve paid in the past. Other than the first Monaco trip which was a bit of a treat, I`ve been in the same boat as you to keep cost-conscious mates happy.

Monaco 2001 Belfast - Luton - Nice £315 ( easyjet aren`t stupid and ramp up flight costs for the GP weekend ). Citadines Nice Promenade aparthotel £22/night. Saturday K stand & Sunday O stand about £440 :eek:

Monza 2002 Belfast(harbour) - Heathrow - Milan Linate £174 ( expedia BM/BA flights cheapest I found that year ). Hotel ABC Milan £20/night. Friday General admission £28. Saturday/Sunday grandstand 6b first chicane £250.

Barcelona 2003 Belfast - Luton - Barcelona £113. Hotel Internacional £27/night ( you could probably find cheaper but this one had the Liceu metro stop right outside which was handy ). General admission ticket for whole weekend £56.

Monaco 2004 Historics (weekend before GP) Belfast - Luton - Nice £149. Monaco hotel £25/night. Saturday and Sunday grandstand ticket about £31. Reckon this year`s trip is going to give the best value even if it isn`t the GP proper.

www.easyjet.com
www.expedia.co.uk
www.monte-carlo.mc/principalitymonaco/accommodations/monaco.html
www.monzanet.it/
www.circuitcat.com/ingles/index.asp