Photo

RETROMOBILE 2004

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 16:58

Who's going ???? I shall be going the first Friday & Sat.Dont forget to wear your badges and wear your berets.

Advertisement

#2 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 19:53

Why not

But a question should I take my wine and my bread :rotfl:

Robert

#3 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:19

Ted:

I may be going, I just had surgery and it depends if my doctor, the Blond Angel of Death, releases me for travel.
Where do you suggest we meet? Rather than have 20 people make recommendations maybe you should just pick a time and place.

Cheers,

Ron Scoma

#4 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:57

Ted,

Did FERET Photos will be to RETROMOBILE ?

#5 King Nigel

King Nigel

• 101 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:50

:wave: Well, I'm going to Retromobile once again this year ! :smoking:

#6 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:23

Ferret Fotogrphics will not be there this year,as I could not find suitable help for the 12 or so days involved. Next year I will return.I shall however be taking a few boxes for customers.I willonly be there on Thurs and Friday.

#7 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 23:59

There are a number of new book titles introduced at Retromobile, and I would appreciate a list of what the people who go happen to find... Thanks in advance...

#8 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:21

Originally posted by dretceterini
There are a number of new book titles introduced at Retromobile,

Do you have a list of those?
I know of the D-W Maserati book but other than that.....
Thanks,

Ron

#9 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 03:41

I haven't been in a few year, but the last time I went, I found a few books that I didn't even know existed, by very small and totally obscure publishers. As examples, I've heard about a new book on "DB" and another on small displacement Italian sports-racers which is supposedly to be even better than Nada's "La Sport", that are supposed to be "coming"...just though something new and interesting that none of use know about might just show up, and if it does, I'm sure we would all appreciate knowing about it...

#10 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 06:58

Originally posted by dretceterini
I found a few books that I didn't even know existed, by very small and totally obscure publishers.

You couldn't be more correct. I am always amazed at the items that appear in Europe that never make it to the States. There's a few books on Healey rally cars, the Camoradi book, most of Nada's books, Wurmsers' tome, etc., that come to mind, but the list is almost endless. I bet I have the only copy in America of some new books even. I wonder how many of Doug's BRM books have made it to our shores, how many Filipinetti's copies are around?
The enthusiasts living in Europe have no idea how lucky they are in this regard. We use to have Tom Warth's Classic Motorbooks bringing in obscure titles like the Hucke's Bugatti's books and the like, but for obvious economic reasons they have gone mainstream so we are left to our own devices. Mention to a bookstore clerk that you'd like to see if she has Cimarosti and you're liable to get a visit from the security guard.
This forum has helped immensely but one really has to go to Retromobile and Essen, to name but two, to find things.
Maybe it's time for a company like the original Classic Motorbooks to be started up? Just my 356 cents worth and not even worth that at times.
Cheers,

Ron Scoma

#11 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 19:39

As one who has imported obscure car books into the US, I believe it is not worth the effort realative to the amount an item can realistically be sold for, unless "volume" can be acheived on an item.

Let me give an example: Wine Country Imports currently has the new Stanguellini book for sale on e-bay, with a buy it now price of $80. One can save $15-$20 by getting it directly from the publisher (Nada), but is it worth it?

With most foreign publishers (especially the smaller ones), you have to pay in advance by draft in their currency, the draft alone would cost the the $15 you would save.

#12 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 20:04

Does anyone have a set of Retromobile sale catalogues for the last few years? I 'm actually not sure whether I mean a Retromobile catalogue covering the whole event or an auction house's separate auction catalogue.

#13 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:33

David. They produce a show guide,and last year Ghristies had an auction "on site"

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:07

I think there have also been Poulain le Fur auctions at Retromobile, n'est-ce pas?

#15 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 09:30

Yes, I have heard about Willem Oosthoek's book about the Maserati's 63 64 and 64 being introduced there.

Another book which will debut there though I only head some vague details about it is a book about the 1955 Sports car championship even forgot the title: "Triumph and Tragedy"comes to my mind but I'm not sure, everything but...
The writer of the book is Yves Kaltenbach and it has a foreword by Paul Frere.

Henri Greuter

#16 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 09:29

The book on the 55 Sports car season is masterminded by Flavien Marcais "aka Harry Potter" ace historic racer, using the archive of his late grandfather helped by photos from my collections. Should be very good. I think its in both English and French.

#17 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:19

CONFIRM HARRY POTTER BOOK WILL BE LAUNCHED AT THE SHOW ON FIRST FRIDAY WE WILL HAVE A DRINK TO CELEBRATE TOP RIGHT BAR IN LATE AFTERNOON

#18 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:15

Well done John,look forward to it,you can fill me in on all the latest ALTA gossip.

#19 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 19:30

Can anyone summarise what is on display?

Advertisement

#20 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 19:46

Originally posted by Roger Clark
Can anyone summarise what is on display?

25% cars, 25% parts, 25% automobilia (books, models, posters, toys), 25% nautical.
A few good food stands, some well dressed women, LOTS of people on the weekend, and few Americans since the Euro, at $1.25, is about 25% higher than last year. :( Oh well.

www.retromobile.fr is their official web site.

Cheers,

Ron Scoma

#21 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 23:57

Thanks. I get the impression that the car displays are not particularly racing orientated. Is that fair?

#22 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 17:14

Roger . I think this year there wont be a large amount of racing cars as the theme is travelling BUT you never know what "barn finds" might appear on some of the dealers stands.Last year as I recall there was a Lotus 30,and a nice Lotus 35 that had both been dragged out of sheds.

#23 King Nigel

King Nigel

• 101 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 17:27

:up: D-1
I'll be there tomorrow. :cool: