Photo

New historic festival at Zandvoort

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 13:34

Did anyone see the announcement in this month's MotorSport? Zandvoort is going to host a new historic festival in September. Any takers from TNF?

Anyway, what I was wondering was whether the British clubs that have pledged support are really going. I've seen more then enough sentences like these when it comes to Dutch plans eventually not coming to fruition:

"HGPCA, the FORCE, Group C and the VSCC are all being targeted to provide races for the event, which will be free of the draconian silencing restrictions that have dogged the track in recent times." (my bold)

So are they all going?

Advertisement

#2 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 22:04

Well, me and my old Peugeot 309 are certainly going!

#3 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:18

Acc. to the latest HARC club info, the event is still subject to final confirmation. There is an option to integrate it into the "Trophy of the Dunes" which will be held one week earlier.
The quality of the Zandvoort historic events dropped considerably over the last years, and I only can hope that the new HARC board will be able to change this. The national historic racing scene in the Netherlands is too small, so they really have to look over the borders to get foreign series being interested.
The Zandvoort noise restrictions had always been a large hurdle, not only for foreign entrants, but espeically for them, because nobody is interested to run his historic racing car with silencers reducing the sound (sound, not noise) to that of an electro motor.

#4 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 16:48

The new Zandvoort Historic festival IS on, some of us have been working for years in different ways to achieve this.
Its success will be because it is a close joint venture between a new club which has been created in conjunction with the circuit owners.
Certainly FORCE F1, Euro F2 1600cc and HGPCA are not just targeted, they will be there.
It promises to be a real highlight of the Historic season :)

#5 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 19:02

Thanks David, that's excellent news!

I'm sure I'll be parking my trusty Skoda next to Mischa's Pug now...

#6 Svend

Svend

• 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 01:53

Yes!

Great news indeed!

#7 Strange1

Strange1

• 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 17:29

It looks like the event has been cancelled.

Group C announced earlier this month that it wouldn't race at Zandvoort, but might go to Dijon.

This week Grand Prix Masters decided not to race. This appeared on the website:
Sept 25-26 Zandvoort Cancelled - Alternative venue to be confirmed

So...no Group C nor any F1 cars of the 1966-1978 era. Doubt there will be anything that day.

#8 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 18:26

Noise restrictions at Zandvoort are absolutely a scandal!
And the track was there long before the (weekend) houses around had been built...!!

#9 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 17:16

Here's bumping an old thread...

After last year's resounding success of the first reborn Historic GP at Zandvoort, this year's meeting was even better. Here's a report:

http://forix.autospo...storicgp13.html

#10 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 21:52

Looks like a good time by all, sounds like you had more spectators than Silverstone Classic :up:

#11 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 19:39

I went to both this year, and it certainly seemed so. Then again, the people at Silverstone are very spread out across that massive infield. The point about Zandvoort, though, is that the grandstands are actually crammed with people waving and cheering, so the drivers get a real feeling for the crowd. At Silverstone, all grandstands were virtually empty...

Edited by Racer.Demon, 06 September 2013 - 19:40.

#12 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:57

Mind you that among the spectators there were quite a few "winners" of a lottery (BankGiro Loterij); all seemed to have won tickets after canceling their subscription  :stoned:

I'm not really into historic racing (I'm more into racing history) but I enjoyed the day at Zandvoort and was quite impressed with the speed of some of the participants!

Edited by Frank de Jong, 07 September 2013 - 08:58.