Case history: Lotus 19 Monte Carlo

• Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

#551 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:15

Originally posted by CLR
I was in a race shop yesterday that had two original and one replica 19, must be first time three cars together since UDT days !
Kevin Whittle

Kevin, what cars were they? Any serial #s you can tell us? More details please!
Tom

Advertisement

#552 CLR

CLR

• 42 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 18:16

The race shop was Kelvin Jones Motorsport and the three cars were Kelvins own Lotus 19, Olave Glasius ex Rosso Museum 19, both FPF and Colotti gearboxes and my Lotus 19 Replica. Buick 3.5 with Hewland HD5.
Kelvins car is on wires the other two on W Webs.

Kevin

#553 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:48

The owner, since 1977, of Lotus 19 #955 has just sent me information on his car and photos that he took of Ireland's car after the crash at Seattle (Kent Speedway) in 1963-these photos have never been published before. The damage to the car and the amount that had to be cut away to release Ireland is apparent. This person took another photo that is remarkable, it shows Gurney surveying the wreck and the expression on Gurney's face says it all!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#554 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,979 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 21:54

The Owner of #955 sent me the attached history of his car and his recollections of ireland's crash:

Posted Image

#555 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:51

Originally posted by David Birchall
The owner, since 1977, of Lotus 19 #955 has just sent me information on his car and photos that he took of Ireland's car after the crash at Seattle (Kent Speedway) in 1963-these photos have never been published before. The damage to the car and the amount that had to be cut away to release Ireland is apparent. This person took another photo that is remarkable, it shows Gurney surveying the wreck and the expression on Gurney's face says it all!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you David for posting this, very interesting!

I note that the caption to photo 2 suggests that the front dash panel has been sawn through. I could be mistaken but if you look in photo 3, it appears there is some kind of aluminium or fibreglass panel in front of the dash, which is casting a shadow over the panel, making it look as if it has been cut through, whereas it is actually still intact.

However, there is no doubt that the car is fairly comprehensively damaged!

Regarding your second post, that is also very useful, thank you, it fills in the final name in the ownership chain for 955 too...and clears up the issue with the Grant car.

The current owner of 955's account contradicts quite significantly the account given to me by the person who claims to have been an eye-witness to the accident, I suspect that my eye-witness may be mixing up one or more other accidents with this one, although I do not doubt that he was there at the time, because his friend, who was the Course Marshal for the event (Jim Matuska) was the owner of the Mercedes 300SL Roadster that Ireland crashed into. My eye-witness was with him at the time, standing approximately 5 metres away from the 300 at the time of the crash...

FWIW, here is his account:

"Regarding the Innes Ireland crash at Pacific Raceways, there is some confusion that needs to be cleared up. The "big Mercedes car" was a 300SL Roadster owned by Jim Matuska, who was Course Marshal for that event. Jim was an experienced turn worker and had worked Turn 6 at Kent many times, and for that practice session had parked his car well out harm's way (based on his experience there).

Just before Innes came into view, from where we were standing (within 5 meters of the 300), his revs shot up and the car came into view dead sideways to the track! He came across the infield, still sideways, and struck the 300 a glancing blow with the front of his car, damaging the body work on the 300 starting at the back of the drivers door and on to the front of the car. The front of Irelands car was a mess, and Jim's 300 was towed away needing considerable body work.

It seems to me that Ireland had missed a shift, not sure if it was his error, or a linkage problem on an untested new car/engine combination.

Regarding Ireland's "injuries", my memory is that he didn't say a word to any of us on the turn when we asked him how he was. He sprinted across the track (with cars still running on the track), moved himself quickly up the hill toward the pits, and out of our sight. He may have been injured but there was no evidence of it to any of us on the turn."

Quite a contrast to being trapped in the car. Seeing as the 955 owner says he was there while they were cutting Ireland out, I would tend to agree with his account but it is odd that the two accounts are so different when it comes to Ireland and his injuries!

#556 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,226 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:53

Michael - with respect I believe you have misread these fascinating and revealing photographs of Innes' Kent wreckage.

The perforated stress hoop which supported both the dash panel and the steering column in the 19 HAD been cut away.

In photo 3 it appears to be the seat back which is visible through the area where the hoop has been cut away. It had been removed, presumably, to enable the steering column to be cranked up into the air so that rescuers could lift Innes clear.

It is abundantly obvious that his injuries were such than he was utterly incapable of getting himself out of the wreckage unaided, and certainly of having then "sprinted across the track". He certainly recalled the incident as having been pretty traumatic, and he was certainly in tremendous pain.

From the photographs it seems apparent that the rear half of the car survived in relatively good shape - eminently salvageable in fact. What I do find susprising is the apparently good condition of the nose panel lying in the foreground in picture 3! How on earth it hadn't been reduced to mere confetti I find quite interesting. From the dash panel arch it certainly appears to have been a GRP moulding.

DCN

#557 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 14:35

Originally posted by Doug Nye
Michael - with respect I believe you have misread these fascinating and revealing photographs of Innes' Kent wreckage.

The perforated stress hoop which supported both the dash panel and the steering column in the 19 HAD been cut away.

In photo 3 it appears to be the seat back which is visible through the area where the hoop has been cut away. It had been removed, presumably, to enable the steering column to be cranked up into the air so that rescuers could lift Innes clear.

It is abundantly obvious that his injuries were such than he was utterly incapable of getting himself out of the wreckage unaided, and certainly of having then "sprinted across the track". He certainly recalled the incident as having been pretty traumatic, and he was certainly in tremendous pain.

From the photographs it seems apparent that the rear half of the car survived in relatively good shape - eminently salvageable in fact. What I do find susprising is the apparently good condition of the nose panel lying in the foreground in picture 3! How on earth it hadn't been reduced to mere confetti I find quite interesting. From the dash panel arch it certainly appears to have been a GRP moulding.

DCN

Doug

From bitter experience, I have learnt to add the immortal words 'I could be mistaken' when I open my mouth or write things these days, as it has been known to be the case :rolleyes:

Looking at it again I can see now that the perforated stress hoop does indeed appear to have been cut through... :blush:

However, I make no apologies for posting an alternative recollection of events from an eye-witness to the accident. As I am sure you have as well, I have found that very often, people tend to over-exaggerate, embellish, or just get plain wrong events that happened many years ago. There have been many occasions when I have sat before someone who will swear on their mother's life that such and such happened, yet I have photographic or documentary proof that contradicts that version of events.

For this reason, I am wary of taking information that has been related to me second- or third-hand as fact. Before David's post this morning, I had heard many and various stories about the accident (all from people who were not there, incidentally) but I had not come across anyone else who claimed to have witnessed the accident in person, therefore the account I had received seemed to me to be at least worthy of some attention and interrogation.

Now there is an alternative eye-witness account (albeit from someone who did not witness the accident but arrived shortly afterwards) which states that Innes was trapped in the car (and the photos posted would indeed seem to support this version of events) I suppose the obvious conclusion is that my eye-witness's account is erroneous...but why I don't know :confused:

I guess this is another example of not taking what people tell you as fact!

Re the car, I agree the rear looks relatively undamaged - do you think they would have grafted on a new front section, rather than bought a completely new chassis? It would be good to talk to Jock Ross (if he is still with us?) to find out more about the work involved.

Re the front body section, it does seem to be damaged on the right side but has survived remarkably intact. It would definitely have been GRP, as I have been told by Tony Robinson that all three cars raced by UDT/BRP in 1961 had glassfibre bodies (although of course, he could be mistaken...). So far as I have been able to ascertain (caveat: but I could be mistaken!) the only appearance of the car with an aluminium body was at Karlskoga in August 1960. There is also a reference in Pete Biro's photo-story in Competition Press 26/11/1960 p3 which says 'The fiberglass body has inner panels of aluminium sheeting'. The reference to 'inner panels of aluminium' I have been told, again by Tony, would have been vertical panels to prevent the ingest of water in wet conditions.

Cheers

Michael

#558 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 15:14

I guess the copyright for this photo belongs to one of the British mags but I'll post it anyway to clear up the point of Innes sprinting across the track after the accident. A little difficult with a dislocated hip and a right-leg bone which "had disappeared eight inches up my backside". Ireland gives a pretty full account of this incident in All Arms and Elbows . By the way Innes was allergic to morphia and had to be cut from the car without pain killers.

Posted Image

#559 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 15:56

Originally posted by KJJ
I guess the copyright for this photo belongs to one of the British mags but I'll post it anyway to clear up the point of Innes sprinting across the track after the accident. A little difficult with a dislocated hip and a right-leg bone which "had disappeared eight inches up my backside". Ireland gives a pretty full account of this incident in All Arms and Elbows . By the way Innes was allergic to morphia and had to be cut from the car without pain killers.

Posted Image

Thanks KJJ - I guess that just about settles it :lol:

Advertisement

#560 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 21:59

The issue of the relatively undamaged nose...

Could it be that the car clouted something in such a way that it first dislodged the nose and sent it flying to relative safety while the car went on to bigger and harder things?

#561 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 22:44

Originally posted by Ray Bell
The issue of the relatively undamaged nose...

Could it be that the car clouted something in such a way that it first dislodged the nose and sent it flying to relative safety while the car went on to bigger and harder things?

All Arms and Elbows reports that "the Lotus hit the earth banking first, then bounced off and clouted the Mercedes right in the middle....My car flew off down the road and stopped."

It sounds reasonable that the nose panel came off before the impact with the Merc - which was seemingly parked at trackside - and then got collected and placed by the wreck of Ireland's car.

Regarding the eye-witness who saw things differently I suppose he must be confusing two different incidents - I'm reading the new Cahier book at the moment where the 1960 and 1961 Solitude races get really muddled up.

#562 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:40

Originally posted by KJJ

All Arms and Elbows reports that "the Lotus hit the earth banking first, then bounced off and clouted the Mercedes right in the middle....My car flew off down the road and stopped."

It sounds reasonable that the nose panel came off before the impact with the Merc - which was seemingly parked at trackside - and then got collected and placed by the wreck of Ireland's car.

Regarding the eye-witness who saw things differently I suppose he must be confusing two different incidents - I'm reading the new Cahier book at the moment where the 1960 and 1961 Solitude races get really muddled up.

I guess I have just perfectly illustrated the point I made in my earlier email that people swear blind that something happened and that they were there and I wasn't so "who am I to question their version of events!"

I agree, it looks as if he is confusing two separate events. I don't doubt he was there at the time but the post-impact description of events is just wrong.

On a separate note, I have been told that Mike Pendleton took his ex-UDT/BRP 19 to Nassau in 1963, something I was not previously aware of. Does anybody have the recent Nassau book to hand, which might throw some light on this?

#563 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:56

Can anyone direct me to the post where this story originated? I have a vague recollection that it came from one of my sources but I can't find the post.

I wish TNF had the facility to search within a thread (like the other place has).

Allen

#564 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 13:44

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Can anyone direct me to the post where this story originated? I have a vague recollection that it came from one of my sources but I can't find the post.

I wish TNF had the facility to search within a thread (like the other place has).

Allen

Which story do you mean Allen?

#565 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 14:34

The story about Ireland having jumped out of the car and sprinted across the track.

Allen

#566 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 20:51

It's there in post 555, Allen...

Don't know if it appears earlier.

#567 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,904 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 21:33

There is a way.

Click on the 'Printable version' button at the top of the thread. This turns the thread into one long strip of text. Then use 'Control+F' as you normally would. Click on the 'X' at top right and it turns back into a normal thread.

#568 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 21:45

Excellent. Thanks for the lesson. Only been here seven or eight years and didn't know that!

Allen

#569 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:44

Allen

You are not alone - I've never noticed the 'printable version' button :lol:

Michael

PS - I think the story sounded familiar to you because I mentioned it to you and Doug when we met up...am going to send photos to my eye witness for his enlightenment!

#570 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 13:23

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
PS - I think the story sounded familiar to you because I mentioned it to you and Doug when we met up...am going to send photos to my eye witness for his enlightenment!

You're right - that's what was ringing a bell. I knew I'd heard it rather than read it.

#571 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:14

I was just sitting here wondering how many of the original 13 (19's) are left, bet its about 19 or 20 :rolleyes: any thoughts
Steve O'Brien

#572 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 08:27

Twelve, according to my best estimate

#573 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 09:01

Does that include the chassis that's reinforcing the concrete under a house in Peakhurst, David?

#574 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 10:23

I was a bit clever with my list, Ray
Steve O'Brien mentioned 13 cars and the Matich 19B was the 14th - so I ignored it

#575 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:22

Does it also include chassis 953 that my father owned that was destroyed in a garage fire in 1966, if it does I did mean the original car not a copy.

#576 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 13:50

If your father is/was Harry O'Brien, the exisiting car with the same number is one of the 12

#577 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:26

If it does include 953 then Im sorry to say its NOT the original car as there was nothing left of it after the fire and yes my father was Harry O'Brien.

#578 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:42

All I said was that 12 cars exist today :)

#579 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 15:46

point taken.

Advertisement

#580 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 00:47

No, David, not the 19B...

The original Frank Matich 19 chassis was the one buried under a house.

#581 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:40

Wondered if I might have got that wrong
In that case the reply is the same as I gave Steve for his father's car - a car with the same number is one of the 12

#582 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,226 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 05:42

Steve - could you tell us how the fire happened, what premises did it affect and were the 19's spares involved (if your father had many, of course), or not? Great to hear from you here.

DCN

#583 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 13:35

Im sorry but it was unknown how the fire started but it did destroy 953 so much so that parts of the engine had melted the chassis was distorted brake callipers had also melted, there was just enough to put in a skip included in the fire were a number of other car's one being a racing Lotus cortina that my my father had also raced, as regards to spare's there was not a lot as my father had used them when he had to rebuild the car after the Silverstone crash in which he had to buy a new chassis from Lotus for the rebuild which I seem to remember being the last 19 chassis as the rest were 19B's
Steve.

#584 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,226 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 20:29

Ooh nasty. Thank you Steve. And was this a domestic garage building, or a commercial workshop, or a car sales garage????? You describe the debris as being put in a skip. So it all went for landfill or scrap? That sounds terribly terminal. Was the fate of the discarded and replaced original chassis frame - which had been damaged previously - equally terminal?

Just for the sake of clarity.

DCN

#585 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 20:52

And "what other parts were discarded with it?", I guess you could ask...

I'm having an equally interesting time at the moment with David Jacobs' BT4.

#586 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,190 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 20:58

Just to keep up-to-date...thanks to Gary Horstkorta for putting me in touch with Tom Claridge in California who now has 963. Tom apparently ran it at the CSRG race at Thunderhill last weekend and is entered at the Wine Country event at Infineon (Sears Point!)...just got this email now...

"Vince,  No problem.  Briefly the car is 19B #963 sold in 1962 to a Henry Olds WITHOUT engine and gel coat in dark blue(which is the color the car is now).  Olds on delivery installed a BOP V8(the small alum 3.5L eng) with maybe(?) Lotus gearbox.  Olds partner in the car was a Bob Columbosian who was the driver and who raced it in the N.E. U.S. and Canada in around 1962-3.  Around late '63 the car was sold to a Norm Namerow a Montreal driver who fitted a Ford 289 V8 and Colotti gearbox and races it some in US and Can.  Late '64 the car was sold to a Peter Lerch who used it little if at all and sold it to Bob McKee Chicago US who removed the Colotti and fitted his McKee 'box and changed the rear(at least) body.  Sold again late '65 after a crash and fixed and used in club events.  Sold again maybe several times ending at John Maycock Montreal, Can.  The car did have some success and ran at Mosport and Canadian Grand Prix(also Mosport??) several time finishing 3rd at least once, also Harewood National 10/65 2nd behind Heimrath,  and also ran the Nassau Tourist Trophy race in late 1963.  There is a lot of detail beyond this of course but this should allow you to ID the car.  The car is as delivered to H. OLds in dark blue and with 3.8L OLds V8(about 300hp) but having a later Hewland FT200 'box and is in near show condition.  Tom Claridge"

Vince H.

#587 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 00:32

The fire was in a small car sales in Melling nr Liverpool the race car's were towards the back of the building to give you some idea of the heat there was a 6" RSJ just above the 19 and that had bowed a good 2 feet as far as I know there were no spare's left as I said most if not all had been used on the rebuild after Silverstone, the original chassis was thrown away which bring's me to my original question how many 19's still there original chassis and engine i-e as they left Lotus

Steve.

#588 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,226 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:56

The answer is plainly 'by no means all of them'.

Back in the early 1990s I found a Lotus-BRM 24 being rebuilt for historic racing. The owner made much of the fact it still had its original chassis frame - complete with build-up of weld around almost every joint where cracks had been welded, then re-welded, then re-welded to keep the thing useable.

My next question to him was whether he wanted To Race the car, or merely To Drive it in Motor Races? There's an enormous difference.

He declared he was A Racer.

Consequently my best advice to him was then to strip the car, hang its original frame safely on the workshop wall, and rebuild a useable racing car around an all-new replica frame.

Otherwise, if the original frame didn't let go on him or generate inadequate performance, it was likely to be damaged finally beyond repair should he have a serious 'off' or get tee-boned by some other hooligan, which would destroy the car's intrinsic value as anything other than as a piece of current sports equipment.

Should he finally decide to sell the running car then he could offer it with both its original chassis frame or the truly raceworthy replacement - providing a new owner with the best of both worlds, a viable historic racing car for use today, or the historic demonstratable vehicle embodying absolutely as much of its real history as has survived. And that's what he did. This avoided putting real history at risk, for what? Historic racing is, after all, merely pipsqueak racing - in many cases merely pretend racing - nobody is building a career, the results have no broad significance to anybody other than the participants, it's just a bit of irrelevant fun.

DCN

#589 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,822 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:01

Your advice to him was very sound and would take little of nothing from the authenticity of the car.

The problem begins when the next owner, or maybe the one after, sells the original frame together with a spare body and some accumulated suspension parts to one person and the complete running car on its replica frame to another.

Now who has the "real" car?

#590 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:12

Your advice to him was very sound and would take little of nothing from the authenticity of the car.

The problem begins when the next owner, or maybe the one after, sells the original frame together with a spare body and some accumulated suspension parts to one person and the complete running car on its replica frame to another.

Now who has the "real" car?

Allen, the problem you have just described is happening regularly down under.

#591 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,531 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:22

That reminds me, I must just re read the thread on Multi Union II , sorry, I mean the Alfa tipo b monoposto.....................

Roger Lund

#592 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:28

Originally posted by bradbury west
That reminds me, I must just re read the thread on Multi Union II , sorry, I mean the Alfa tipo b monoposto.....................

Roger Lund

Roger, good luck with your investigation, regards PN

#593 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,226 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 16:55

Ah yes - the ever-present bugaboo of human nature.... :rolleyes:

DCN

#594 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 845 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 22:52

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
Just to keep up-to-date...thanks to Gary Horstkorta for putting me in touch with Tom Claridge in California who now has 963. Tom apparently ran it at the CSRG race at Thunderhill last weekend and is entered at the Wine Country event at Infineon (Sears Point!)...just got this email now...

"Vince,  No problem.  Briefly the car is 19B #963 sold in 1962 to a Henry Olds WITHOUT engine and gel coat in dark blue(which is the color the car is now).  Olds on delivery installed a BOP V8(the small alum 3.5L eng) with maybe(?) Lotus gearbox.  Olds partner in the car was a Bob Columbosian who was the driver and who raced it in the N.E. U.S. and Canada in around 1962-3.  Around late '63 the car was sold to a Norm Namerow a Montreal driver who fitted a Ford 289 V8 and Colotti gearbox and races it some in US and Can.  Late '64 the car was sold to a Peter Lerch who used it little if at all and sold it to Bob McKee Chicago US who removed the Colotti and fitted his McKee 'box and changed the rear(at least) body.  Sold again late '65 after a crash and fixed and used in club events.  Sold again maybe several times ending at John Maycock Montreal, Can.  The car did have some success and ran at Mosport and Canadian Grand Prix(also Mosport??) several time finishing 3rd at least once, also Harewood National 10/65 2nd behind Heimrath,  and also ran the Nassau Tourist Trophy race in late 1963.  There is a lot of detail beyond this of course but this should allow you to ID the car.  The car is as delivered to H. OLds in dark blue and with 3.8L OLds V8(about 300hp) but having a later Hewland FT200 'box and is in near show condition.  Tom Claridge"

Vince H.

Vince

What you have posted is almost correct, except the bit about Lerch selling the car to McKee. Lerch commissioned McKee to rebuild the car with a McKee transaxle and bodywork, which involved a comprehensive rebuild and reworking of the rear of the chassis. Lerch then raced the car several times before crashing it and writing it off at St. Jovite Sept 65. Also, the first driver of the car was Bob Colombosian with an 'o' rather than a 'u'. I doubt the car ran the Harewood National in October 65 though, as it was very badly damaged the previous month?

Good to know Tom Claridge is using the car too...

Michael

#595 Ol'_Motorhead

Ol'_Motorhead

• 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 15:20

Posted Image

Here's the Harrison Lotus 19 in the paddock at the 1963 Player's 200 as queried by Gerry L. in the Bob McKee cars thread on TNF. :)
Cheers.

#596 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 126 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:15

Thanks, Rob. That's the car with the original Lotus 19 bodywork, although it appears to be gold on top like the Harrison Special. There is a photo on the car in Allan Girdler's American Road Race Specials, and the Nov 1963 Sports Car Graphic magazine. I couldn't figure out how to attach a scan....

By the way, what were the mods that make a 19 into a 19B? I looked through all the pages of this thread but didn't find an answer. I presume it had something to do with the suspension geometry?

#597 Ol'_Motorhead

Ol'_Motorhead

• 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 14:04

Right. I'm no expert on Loti.
Check the "Sticky" on the TNF home page on posting images - that should help.
Cheers.

#598 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,422 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 14:21

Originally posted by Sisyphus
.....By the way, what were the mods that make a 19 into a 19B? I looked through all the pages of this thread but didn't find an answer. I presume it had something to do with the suspension geometry?

I would have thought that the 19 had the 18-style rear suspension with the driveshafts as the top links... and that the 19B would have got rid of these...

I would also think that slightly wider wheels and bigger brakes were part of the changes. It's hard to know from here, however, as the only one we had was Matich's and it was continually developed.

#599 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 14:53

My understanding is that there was only one 19B, the Ford-powered car which Gurney ran in the US
The appellation was however used for several other 19s which had been upgraded one way or another - including Matich's replacement car in Australia

Advertisement

#600 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,399 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 16:16

Originally posted by David McKinney
My understanding is that there was only one 19B, the Ford-powered car which Gurney ran in the US
The appellation was however used for several other 19s which had been upgraded one way or another - including Matich's replacement car in Australia

That is my understanding also. Originally, all were 19s except for the last one built, which was built from the start to house a Ford V-8 instead of a Climax 4. This was the aforementioned Dan Gurney car, which he ran circa 1964-65, and was designated 19B. I believe Steve Diulio owns the car now. Please note: this is NOT the Arciero car which Dan drove in 1960-62. That is another car entirely, but all too often is confused with the later 19B.
Tom