Case history: Lotus 19 Monte Carlo

• Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

#651 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:23

Originally posted by bradbury west

The man tells me 963 in an e mail, saying a well known car with full history.

Roger Lund.

Did he tell you the 'full history'?

Advertisement

#652 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,567 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:47

[i]Originally posted by Allen Brown
Did he tell you the 'full history'? [/B]

Allen pls see e mail.

Perhaps I overstated with the "full" bit. He indicates that it was delivered new in the USA to Henry Olds, ran an alloy block 3.5ltr Olds V8 , is well known to the 19 Registrar and has a well documented history. He seemed happy to give more details and is readiliy contactable via the picture link..

Roger Lund

#653 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:09

Originally posted by bradbury west

Allen pls see e mail.

Perhaps I overstated with the "full" bit. He indicates that it was delivered new in the USA to Henry Olds, ran an alloy block 3.5ltr Olds V8 , is well known to the 19 Registrar and has a well documented history. He seemed happy to give more details and is readiliy contactable via the picture link..

Roger Lund

That's a heck of a lot more truth than I received from a previous owner. When this particular car showed up at Road America a few years ago, it was claimed that this was the Dan Gurney car. Of course I knew that it was not, and when I told them so, they got downright testy. History proves that I was right.

#654 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:09

I think checking the list of cars/owners listed earlier in this thread will clear things up. The Henry Olds/Bob Columbosian car is #963--extensively rebuilt in the 1980s-which I was witness to-and was untill recently owned by John DeLane in California but now by Tom Claridge also in California. At my instigation John DeLane picked up the original chassis for this car and passed it on to Tom Claridge. I don't know if the car pictured is the car owned by DeLane/Claridge but the history of 963 is complete as far as I am aware. No connection to Gurney!

#655 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,218 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:14

Originally posted by David Birchall
The Henry Olds/Bob Columbosian car is #957

David

Do you mean 963?

Vince H.

#656 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 15:48

Hi Vince, Yes, and I have now edited my previous post :blush:

#657 Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell

• 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 16:46

Originally posted by David Birchall
I think checking the list of cars/owners listed earlier in this thread will clear things up. The Henry Olds/Bob Columbosian car is #963--extensively rebuilt in the 1980s-which I was witness to-and was untill recently owned by John DeLane in California but now by Tom Claridge also in California. At my instigation John DeLane picked up the original chassis for this car and passed it on to Tom Claridge. I don't know if the car pictured is the car owned by DeLane/Claridge but the history of 963 is complete as far as I am aware. No connection to Gurney!

Here is a picture of the same car (© atspeedimages) chassis 963 when it was owned and raced by the late Frank Jelenik of Portsmouth, Newhampshire.

Posted Image

Not sure if the new paint is a step up or not . . . but that's all a matter of personal taste I suppose. And this is how we have the lineage of this 19 to date,

1962 Henry Olds and Bob Colombosian USA. Delivered without engine, Buick 3.8L BOP V8 installed.
1963-64 Norm Namerow (CDN) fitted a Ford 289, Colotti gearbox and McKee transaxle for 1963 CDN GP (post456)
1964 Peter Lerch (sold to Lerch in late 64 post 586) rebuilt by McKee, Colotti box removed, major crash St. Jovite Sep 65 (post 594)
1980s John Maycock rebuilt with new chassis, transmission, suspension, fitted Rover V8
1996 Brad Krause entered Laguna Seca
2004-2005 Frank Jellenik, Portsmouth NH
2006-John Delane, California
2007-present Tom Claridge, California (post 586)

:wave:

#658 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 17:04

Hi Mark, We did have a post that identified the person that Lerch sold the car to and which may be the person John Maycock bought the car off-don't have time to look right now.

Ps. John Maycock aquired the original suspension from McKee and fitted that to the car during his rebuild in the eighties.

#659 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,593 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 22:14

Posted Image
This is a little OT but fellow Lotus 19 Pilot Rod Carveth also enjoyed showing Doberman's

For those of you who would have thought that racing a Buick-powered Lotus 19 around the tracks was Rod Carveth's only hobby. He also bred and showed Dobermans, such as this prize-winning specimen.
all research Willem Oosthoek.

Advertisement

#660 olav glasius

olav glasius

• 61 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 19:41

I dont know nothing about Doberman s but as you know I own
Rod Garveth s 19. The car at the moment has a FPF
Climax with Colotti gearbox. As far as I know it had in his
days a Buick-Olds Jetfire engine. Does anybody more
about those engines and also how to get them and what
gearbox was used

Olav Glasius

#661 Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum

• 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 23:32

I've beed told that misinformation about my two formerly owned Lotus 19s has been posted. I have no idea of the motivation of the poster, but here are a few more bits of information.

The car I called 950 was purchased from Allen Taylor circa 1974. The identification was made by the alloy body, which is unique to that first car. Robert Brooks is having that body restored, so it will reappear soon. Wed thought the body was to far gone to use, but saved it for identification purposes. Very little else was usable - gear box was Cooper C5S, engine a blown up Olds. I had a new frame made by Archie Hodge, reused some suspension parts, fuel tanks, seats etc. Body now on the car came from a mold owned by Don Orosco at the time; I now have the mold if anyone else needs a body. Engine now in the car is C & G as I could not find an original 2.5 Climax that did not have too many repairs.

The car I called 957 came out of Los Angeles circa 1983. Identification was from stories, fabricated rear uprights, Chevy engine mounts, Jag brakes. Again, few bits were reused. Twenty plus year old race cars are pretty well used up! Archie Hodge frame, body from the ex-Orosco mold, Hewland gear box, "215" Olds engine are now in it. Car now with David Smith, who had previously owned another 19 with 300 cu. in Buick.

Terry

#662 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,749 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 00:24

Welcome to the forum, Terry... though the circumstances are not ideal...

My memory connects you with sedan car racing, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I don't expect there'll be any conspiracies deliberately working on the history of your cars here. Much of what is posted is, of course, hearsay, so if you can correct things, virtually everyone here will be happy to hear your story.

#663 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:16

Welcome Terry. Thanks for joining the thread and giving the research a useful nudge forwards.

Allen

#664 Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell

• 30 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:06

Originally posted by Terry Buffum
[BThe car I called 950 was purchased from Allen Taylor circa 1974. The identification was made by the alloy body . . . Terry [/B]

I would definitely second the welcome Terry, particularly in light of the opportunity to learn more about chassis 950 or the prototypical Lotus 19. History or hearsay, the lineage of chassis no. 950 has remained a bit of a loose end. One account, discussed at some length by this group, has chassis 950 going to Frank Matich late in 1961 (post117). Arguments to the contrary (post120) center around the Matich car being a possible 'bitza' given the poor condition witnessed by Moss when he visited Matich shortly after the car arrived in Australia in January 1962 (post126). Having seen the car, Moss may remember if the Matich 19 was the prototype . . . if anyone has the opportunity to discuss it with him.

After it's debut in Sweden in August 1960, we do know that 950 came to America for Moss to race Gurney (chassis 951) at Riverside and Laguna in October of 1960. It would also seem to be clear that the car that came back to North America in 1961 for Moss at the Player's 200 in June was not 950 but chassis 952 (based on an interview in the Toronto Global & Mail with Mechanic, John Harris having described the car as being newly built in the spring). Chassis 953, the third UDT 19 came over later in 1961 for Gendebien at Riverside in October alongside Moss, again in 952.

To date, there does not seem to be any reference to show that all three UDT cars (950/952/953) were ever in North America at one time or that 950 came back to NA after the 1960 season. And the last event in the UK that saw all all three UDT cars entered was the Crystal Palace on May 22, 1961 (post001 where it all began). So to make a bit of a long story as short as possible . . . this is where the trail starts to dry up. What became of chassis 950 after the Crystal Palace in May of 1961 if it did not go to Matich later in the same year? Did you receive any history of the car you purchased from Allen Taylor prior to 1974? This would be a great help. All the best.

Mark

#665 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,314 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 22:32

The car I called 950 was purchased from Allen Taylor circa 1974. The identification was made by the alloy body, which is unique to that first car. Robert Brooks is having that body restored, so it will reappear soon. Wed thought the body was to far gone to use, but saved it for identification purposes. Very little else was usable - gear box was Cooper C5S, engine a blown up Olds. I had a new frame made by Archie Hodge, reused some suspension parts, fuel tanks, seats etc. Terry

Great input Terry. I'd be very interested to understand what 'the car I called 950' consisted of when you finalised your purchase of it from Allen Taylor. Did the kit include a chassis frame, and if so what became of it? Any photographs of the entity as purchased would be fascinating to see. Thanks for posting here.

DCN

#666 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 00:31

I've beed told that misinformation about my two formerly owned Lotus 19s has been posted. I have no idea of the motivation of the poster, but here are a few more bits of information.

The car I called 950 was purchased from Allen Taylor circa 1974. The identification was made by the alloy body, which is unique to that first car. Robert Brooks is having that body restored, so it will reappear soon. Wed thought the body was to far gone to use, but saved it for identification purposes. Very little else was usable - gear box was Cooper C5S, engine a blown up Olds. I had a new frame made by Archie Hodge, reused some suspension parts, fuel tanks, seats etc. Body now on the car came from a mold owned by Don Orosco at the time; I now have the mold if anyone else needs a body. Engine now in the car is C & G as I could not find an original 2.5 Climax that did not have too many repairs.

The car I called 957 came out of Los Angeles circa 1983. Identification was from stories, fabricated rear uprights, Chevy engine mounts, Jag brakes. Again, few bits were reused. Twenty plus year old race cars are pretty well used up! Archie Hodge frame, body from the ex-Orosco mold, Hewland gear box, "215" Olds engine are now in it. Car now with David Smith, who had previously owned another 19 with 300 cu. in Buick.

Terry

Hi Terry

Good to see you on this forum and thanks for the info - I've been wondering for ages where the Taylor car went. I've spent a lot of time trying to track him down (is it Allan or Allen?) without any luck so far - any ideas? Also, do you know anything about its history prior to Taylor?

I am intrigued by your comments about the alloy body. What convinced you that it stayed on the prototype car, is there any evidence to support this theory? Which parts of the body that you acquired were alloy, both the front and rear or just the front or vice versa? Do you have any photos of the car as you acquired it? If so, it would be really interesting to see them.

Thanks also for your comments re 957. Can you remember the name of the person in LA you acquired the car from in 1983? Would be useful in tracking the history back...

Once again, many thanks for coming on board. I don't think as a rule many of the people on this forum (and particularly on this thread) are in the habit of posting misinformation, I think we are just interested in facts and verifying them!

Cheers

Michael

#667 Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum

• 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:32

Re 950(?), please look at the photo posted at 180, the Allen or Alan Taylor car (I don't know his real first name, I was dealing with my neighbor, his brother, Ty Taylor). Ty said that as Allen moved from the San Francisco area to the Atlanta, Georgia area, he ran both Riverside and Las Vegas races. I believe those would have been USRRC events,so possibly one of you have entry forms or programs. He called the car a Lotus 19C, which I think implies the Gurney 19B already existed. In the posted photo, you can see that the large "vent" in the nose has the aluminum panel cut on three sides and bent down (folded under is perhaps a better description). Also note the dented front fender and the large hole cut in the engine cover for the "boat headers" and carb tops. Both those panels, as well as the doors and fuel tank covers are aluminum.

Ty mentioned that Sam Weiss was the owner before Allen. Sam was in the Sacramento area, I think. I know he raced a Cooper with a V8 engine. Perhaps that conversion is the source of the Cooper C5S that Allen was using.

When I got the car, it was almost complete, but had a semi-wedge shaped body which utilized many of the Lotus inner panels. The Lotus body was not mounted. I think the old frame is still at John's shop, now some 550 miles from my home. To me, it looked like Lotus 19 to the firewall bulkhead, different from there back to accomodate the Olds engine and Cooper box. Wheels as delivered were American racing, but the Lotus woobly webs (badly corroded) accompanied it. Rear uprights were probably Lotus 20, as they were for 15" wheels and had an upper suspension link.

Allen made no claim that it was 950; that is my doing based upon the body.

Terry

#668 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,218 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:34

Welcome aboard, Terry!

Just concerning Sam Weiss, he was killed at Laguna Seca in June of 1960, so I don't think he would have had the Lotus 19. And his Cooper didn't have a V8. I wonder if it might have been Bart Martin. He ran a Cooper and a Brabham sports car, each with V8's. Sadly, he too was killed at Candlestick Park in 1965.

Vince H.

#669 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,749 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:42

Regarding the Matich car...

John Ellacott has fortunately got a lot of photos taken just after its arrival. They must be at least a little helpful in identifying the car. Or parts thereof.

#670 Mike Riedner

Mike Riedner

• 36 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:09

Does anyone know the colour scheme of the Arciero Bros. car that Jim Clark drove in Laguna Seca in 1963 with #5?

#671 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 18:38

Originally posted by Mike Riedner
Does anyone know the colour scheme of the Arciero Bros. car that Jim Clark drove in Laguna Seca in 1963 with #5?

My recollection is that the Arciero Lotus 19 always was red. Color photos of Dan'l driving it in 1960-61 always show it as red, and when I saw Bobby Unser drive it at Meadowdale in August, 1964, it was red.
Tom

#672 Mike Riedner

Mike Riedner

• 36 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 08:35

Thank you Tom..

Was is bright red (like Ferrari) or more darkish (burgundy)?

Any stripes?

#673 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,417 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 15:21

I'll need help on this from chaps who saw it race far more than I did, but I would say a medium red. Without looking, I am fairly sure that Tam McPartland would have photos of it on his fine web site of west coast US racing.

#674 S&M Minis

S&M Minis

• 102 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 17:36

I don't know if the color carried over from the 19 to the 23, but here's the Arciero Brothers' 23 at Pikes Peak back in the day and last August, as restored. (The current owner says he has documentation that it is the Aerciero 23, and I'm taking him at his word.) In 1964 I built a slot car of the Arciero 19 and painted it orange based on some information in a publication of the time. Maybe it was a badly done color picture, but I thought the car was orange for the longest time. If anyone can come up with a color picture I'm willing to repaint the slot car!

The Pikes Peak picture is from ArtemisImages.com. If you haven't been there I'd suggest you check it out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#675 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 21:47

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
Welcome aboard, Terry!

Just concerning Sam Weiss, he was killed at Laguna Seca in June of 1960, so I don't think he would have had the Lotus 19. And his Cooper didn't have a V8. I wonder if it might have been Bart Martin. He ran a Cooper and a Brabham sports car, each with V8's. Sadly, he too was killed at Candlestick Park in 1965.

Vince H.

Vince, I am not aware of Bart Martin having a Lotus 19...not saying he didn't just there isn't any report I've come across of this. Would be good to talk to Ty Taylor again to see if he has any other thoughts about where the car might have come from, as it doesn't look like it was Sam Weiss...

#676 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,218 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 00:46

Originally posted by Mark Campbell
1962 Henry Olds and Bob Colombosian USA. Delivered without engine, Buick 3.8L BOP V8 installed.
1963-64 Norm Namerow (CDN) fitted a Ford 289, Colotti gearbox and McKee transaxle for 1963 CDN GP (post456)
1964 Peter Lerch (sold to Lerch in late 64 post 586) rebuilt by McKee, Colotti box removed, major crash St. Jovite Sep 65 (post 594)
1980s John Maycock rebuilt with new chassis, transmission, suspension, fitted Rover V8
1996 Brad Krause entered Laguna Seca
2004-2005 Frank Jellenik, Portsmouth NH
2006-John Delane, California
2007-present Tom Claridge, California (post 586)

:wave: [/B]

Some photos of Peter Lerch at the June 19, 1965 BEMC Spring Trophy races at Mosport...the car was referred to in Canada Track & Traffic and the local paper as a "...brand new McKee Ford Special..." The photos show him being pursued by Bob McLean's Canadian Championship winning Lotus 23B and maybe Wayne Kelly in his Kelly Porsche? (Any other thoughts on that one?) CT & T said "...by the fourth lap Lerch was in the pits with overheating problems..." You can see his hand up in the third photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

First photo, I believe, from Canada Track & Traffic; the other two by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks.

Vince H.

#677 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 22:49

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003

Some photos of Peter Lerch at the June 19, 1965 BEMC Spring Trophy races at Mosport...the car was referred to in Canada Track & Traffic and the local paper as a "...brand new McKee Ford Special..." The photos show him being pursued by Bob McLean's Canadian Championship winning Lotus 23B and maybe Wayne Kelly in his Kelly Porsche? (Any other thoughts on that one?) CT & T said "...by the fourth lap Lerch was in the pits with overheating problems..." You can see his hand up in the third photo.

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

First photo, I believe, from Canada Track & Traffic; the other two by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks.

Vince H.

Vince,

This is indeed the Lotus 19, clothed in new bodywork and with a substantially revised McKee rear end and transaxle. Hadn't seen the second and third photos though, thanks.

Michael

#678 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 17:30

Just so the point doesn't get lost--when John Maycock rebuilt 963 he contacted McKee who still had the parts he removed from 963 when he rebuilt the back of the chassis following the major shunt. John rebuilt 963 using these original suspension parts in the eighties. The McKee transaxle (#14) that was in 963 when John Maycock acquired it is still in the Vancouver area and is now in a Genie Mk 10(?) that is being rebuilt by a friend.

#679 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,218 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 00:30

Originally posted by Michael Oliver

Vince,

This is indeed the Lotus 19, clothed in new bodywork and with a substantially revised McKee rear end and transaxle. Hadn't seen the second and third photos though, thanks.

Michael

Another shot, same race.

Posted Image

Photos by Ted Langton-Adams, copyright Eric Faulks.

Vince H.

Advertisement

#680 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:12

Thanks so much for posting the Mosport images, Vince. Sure takes me back. :)

In the snap above, Bob McLean is lying third but I still can't tell if the car directly behind Peter Lerch is Wayne Kelly or no. Any chance that it's Eitel Maier? Don't quote me on the spelling of that. Also, would that be Don Kindree in the big Healey in P4?

#681 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,593 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:20

Posted Image
Stirling Moss - Monterey 1960.
photo Ike Smith

#682 The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

• 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 16:02

I don't know much about this subject, but I can add some information to Mark Campbell's chassis list, concerning cars 956 (Vögele) and 961 (Zweifel).

956 1961 Charles Vögele, Coventry-Climax 2.5
1962 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.0 and 2.5
1963 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.0 and 2.5
1964 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.5

961 1961 Harry Zweifel, Coventry Climax 2.0
1962 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.0 and 2.9
1963 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.0 and 2.9
1964 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.9
1965 Albert Eggs (Switzerland), Maserati 2.0

Zweifels 2.9 Maserati engine went into the Gachnang brothers' home-built Cegga single seater, where it still is today. Eggs crashed that car in a non-championship event in 1965, sold the wreck to Franco Sbarro and from there, it went to England. That car never ran with a Ferrari engine, Zweifel achieved his Lotus-Ferrari results in a 23 chassis.

#683 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 17:34

Originally posted by The Mountaineer
I don't know much about this subject, but I can add some information to Mark Campbell's chassis list, concerning cars 956 (Vögele) and 961 (Zweifel).

956 1961 Charles Vögele, Coventry-Climax 2.5
1962 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.0 and 2.5
1963 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.0 and 2.5
1964 Charles Vögele, Coventry Climax 2.5

961 1961 Harry Zweifel, Coventry Climax 2.0
1962 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.0 and 2.9
1963 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.0 and 2.9
1964 Harry Zweifel, Maserati 2.9
1965 Albert Eggs (Switzerland), Maserati 2.0

Zweifels 2.9 Maserati engine went into the Gachnang brothers' home-built Cegga single seater, where it still is today. Eggs crashed that car in a non-championship event in 1965, sold the wreck to Franco Sbarro and from there, it went to England. That car never ran with a Ferrari engine, Zweifel achieved his Lotus-Ferrari results in a 23 chassis.

Hi there

Many thanks for this info.

Just to be quite clear on this, are you saying that Albert Eggs crashed the Lotus 19 chassis he bought from Harry Zweifel at a non-championship event in 1965, sold the wreck to Franco Sbarro and from there it went to England? What is your source for this information, is there a report of the crash, the sale to Sbarro and the sale to the UK that can be looked up?

No-one seems to know what happened to the Vogele car after 1964 - anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Michael

#684 The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

• 55 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 14:57

Hello Michael

I didn't make myself very clear, but you are absolutely right. Eggs crashed the ex-Zweifel car at the Verbois Hillclimb (near Geneva) in 1965, then fitted with the 2.0 Maserati engine.

I have no written proof, but the accident/Sbarro/England part comes from a 100% reliable source. I also happen to know Albert Eggs and I'll contact and ask him about the subject. Please allow me a little bit of time.

#685 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:57

Hello Michael

I didn't make myself very clear, but you are absolutely right. Eggs crashed the ex-Zweifel car at the Verbois Hillclimb (near Geneva) in 1965, then fitted with the 2.0 Maserati engine.

I have no written proof, but the accident/Sbarro/England part comes from a 100% reliable source. I also happen to know Albert Eggs and I'll contact and ask him about the subject. Please allow me a little bit of time.

Thanks for clarifying that, and it would be interesting to hear more from Albert Eggs. Do you know what the date was for the Verbois hillclimb?

Many thanks

Michael

#686 The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

• 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:50

I talked to Albert Eggs yesterday, and there are some news: It wasn't Eggs who crashed 961 at Verbois. He sold the car in one piece to one Edmond Luyet, also from Switzerland, and it was Luyet who had the accident. But Eggs confirmed that Franco Sbarro collected the wreck, and he also believes that it went to England.

#687 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:23

I talked to Albert Eggs yesterday, and there are some news: It wasn't Eggs who crashed 961 at Verbois. He sold the car in one piece to one Edmond Luyet, also from Switzerland, and it was Luyet who had the accident. But Eggs confirmed that Franco Sbarro collected the wreck, and he also believes that it went to England.

OK, many thanks - does anyone have any idea of the date of the event at Verbois?

Michael

#688 RJE

RJE

• 109 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 21:38

I'm sorry to come to this subject late but I may be able to add a couple of snippets regarding two of the cars causing so much discussion. I refer to chassis numbers 959 and 963.

I had the pleasure or otherwise of working on both these cars on and off during the period of 1963/5.

Norm Namerow took delivery of his car, 963, directly from the previous owner (I believe less engine) and it was shipped straight to Montreal where the Shelby built Ford engine was installed and I think at this point the Colotti gearbox was fitted. The car was then trailered to Jack Jacynski who owned a small garage business in North Toronto. Jacynski was considered a 19 expert, having successfully steered both Francis Bradley and Denny Coad to Canadian Championships both in 959 in previous years. He was to prepare the car. At this stage the car was painted a rather insignificant dark maroon. The car was always fast but a little fragile and Namerow never quite got it to fullfill the promise it showed before he tragically died.

With regard to 959. After a very successful early career the 19 passed to Vic Yachuck whose previous experience had mainly been in Lotus Sevens. Vic was fast but by this time the 19 was suffering from overwork and things seemed to break rather too often. I well remember a broken rear upright causing Vic to have a very hairy spin in Turn Ten at Mosport. The car was maintained by Portland Garage who were based in Port Credit just west of Toronto. In posts 184 and 495 you show a couple of photographs of the Portland set up running another 19 during 1965. The 'mechanic' seen to the right of the car in the first picture and to the car's rear in the second is one Jim Spence who owned Portland Garage. The P&G preparation refered to were Peter Cook and Gord Green, who built a number of cars for their own use, mainly Formula Junior, and who were closley allied to Spence and regularly entered in his garage's name.

Here I believe there may be a slight gap in the history of 959 for I seem to recall that after Yachuck got rid of the car it went to Don Kindree before Denny Coad had it again. The car was certainly looked after by Kindree's brother Doug from a small workshop in Oakville where he used to delight in tearing up and down the local industrial estate in the dead of night much to the chagrin of both the local residents and police. Don Kindree is the guy driving the big Healey in the photograph on post 679.

While on the subject of the cars in posts 679 and 676 I am not too sure as is suggested that one of the cars is Wayne Kelly's Porsche Special. Kelly's car was a sort of mid turquois colour and was destiguished by two large black humps on the rear deck where the flat four's carburators stuck up. Despite it's appearance this car is not of coarse a Lotus 23. Wayne having 'borrowed' Al Peases 23 to make a copy with suitable mods to fit a flat fan Porsche Carrera engine. He also had Al order a number of components from Lotus under the pretex of Al needing them for his car. I believe he even got a complete body this way. Perhaps today it would be called a continuation series.

One last thought before your screens melt. In post 218 you show a photograph of a Sunbeam Alpine at Mosport. Could the driver be Diane Carter? She bought Eppie Wietzes Alpine in 63 or 64 and it was definitly the tall tail fin model like shown. I know the Wietzes car was light grey but a repaint would not be out of the question.

Thanks for your time

Bob Egginton.

#689 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 23:19

What a wonderfully informative post! Thanks Bob.

DCN

#690 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 867 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:00

Originally posted by RJE
I'm sorry to come to this subject late but I may be able to add a couple of snippets regarding two of the cars causing so much discussion. I refer to chassis numbers 959 and 963.

I had the pleasure or otherwise of working on both these cars on and off during the period of 1963/5.

Norm Namerow took delivery of his car, 963, directly from the previous owner (I believe less engine) and it was shipped straight to Montreal where the Shelby built Ford engine was installed and I think at this point the Colotti gearbox was fitted. The car was then trailered to Jack Jacynski who owned a small garage business in North Toronto. Jacynski was considered a 19 expert, having successfully steered both Francis Bradley and Denny Coad to Canadian Championships both in 959 in previous years. He was to prepare the car. At this stage the car was painted a rather insignificant dark maroon. The car was always fast but a little fragile and Namerow never quite got it to fullfill the promise it showed before he tragically died.

With regard to 959. After a very successful early career the 19 passed to Vic Yachuck whose previous experience had mainly been in Lotus Sevens. Vic was fast but by this time the 19 was suffering from overwork and things seemed to break rather too often. I well remember a broken rear upright causing Vic to have a very hairy spin in Turn Ten at Mosport. The car was maintained by Portland Garage who were based in Port Credit just west of Toronto. In posts 184 and 495 you show a couple of photographs of the Portland set up running another 19 during 1965. The 'mechanic' seen to the right of the car in the first picture and to the car's rear in the second is one Jim Spence who owned Portland Garage. The P&G preparation refered to were Peter Cook and Gord Green, who built a number of cars for their own use, mainly Formula Junior, and who were closley allied to Spence and regularly entered in his garage's name.

Here I believe there may be a slight gap in the history of 959 for I seem to recall that after Yachuck got rid of the car it went to Don Kindree before Denny Coad had it again. The car was certainly looked after by Kindree's brother Doug from a small workshop in Oakville where he used to delight in tearing up and down the local industrial estate in the dead of night much to the chagrin of both the local residents and police. Don Kindree is the guy driving the big Healey in the photograph on post 679.

While on the subject of the cars in posts 679 and 676 I am not too sure as is suggested that one of the cars is Wayne Kelly's Porsche Special. Kelly's car was a sort of mid turquois colour and was destiguished by two large black humps on the rear deck where the flat four's carburators stuck up. Despite it's appearance this car is not of coarse a Lotus 23. Wayne having 'borrowed' Al Peases 23 to make a copy with suitable mods to fit a flat fan Porsche Carrera engine. He also had Al order a number of components from Lotus under the pretex of Al needing them for his car. I believe he even got a complete body this way. Perhaps today it would be called a continuation series.

One last thought before your screens melt. In post 218 you show a photograph of a Sunbeam Alpine at Mosport. Could the driver be Diane Carter? She bought Eppie Wietzes Alpine in 63 or 64 and it was definitly the tall tail fin model like shown. I know the Wietzes car was light grey but a repaint would not be out of the question.

Thanks for your time

Bob Egginton.

Bob

I'll second Doug's sentiments expressed above - many thanks for such an interesting and detailed post.

Are any of these protagonists - Jim Spence, Peter Cook, Gord Green, Don Kindree - still with us do you know? I would be particularly interested to talk to them about the other car they worked on in 1965 that you refer to as I have so far been unsuccessful in tracing the driver mentioned, Larry Reilly or Riley.

Michael

#691 RJE

RJE

• 109 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 20:21

Doug, Michael.

Thanks for the comments, I honestly didn't think anybody would be interested.

With regard to the people mentioned in Michael's post. I visited my old stomping ground some years ago in an attempt to fill in some of the missing years, but in truth came up with very little and what I did find was obviously rather second hand. However here goes.

I believe Jim Spence returned to his native Scotland in the late 60s or early 70s. If he is still with us he must be a very old man as I would estimate that he was in his late fourties or early fifties in 1964.

Peter Cook I understand was killed in a road accident a number of years ago.

Gord Green was still with us and living in the Toronto area, he would I estimate be in his early seventies by now.

Don Kindree was alive but not very well as he had had a racing accident in the early 70s in which he had received serious head injuries from which he had never fully recovered.

The Larry Reilly or Riley name I have to admit was new to me when I read it in the earlier correspondence. I cannot place the name and I have to consider that maybe it was a form of 'nom de plume'. It seems odd that having such a potent car he did not appear in more high profile events. Unless he got fed up with it all and just went home.

As I have raised this subject I should perhaps fill in any gaps I can regarding Canadian east coast racing in that period. So if anybody is interested and I can make this damned computer work let me know and I will try to post a few of my photograghs of the time and try to answer any questions.

Thanks again

Bob Egginton

#692 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 796 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 22:45

As noted in a previous post, I attached myself to Larry Reilly's operation for his first outing in the Lotus 19/Chevy at Mosport. Sadly, the input shaft let go and he was a DNS. I may have this wrong but it may have been a Lotus transaxle...nowhere near tough enough to handle all that V-8 punch. When the unit failed, it took some time to determine what went wrong but, iirc, Paul Cooke from the Comstock outfit ultimately came over to assess the trouble and made the determination.

The previous season, I was spectating from the infield of T1 when a red, two-seater sports car...possibly a special homebuilt...crashed right in front of me. The bodywork was slightly mangled with the bonnet displaced. It was Larry I later learned. I recall seeing a photo of the car sitting at roadside after just having come to a stop. Where that photo was shown, I cannot clearly recall. A following year's official Mosport programme? Perhaps. If it was in that publication, it most certainly would have been a release for a major event such as the Player's 200 in June or the Canadian GP in September. I may have seen it in our local Bowmanville weekly, the Canadian Statesman. Bowmanville was only about 15 miles from the track. From whatever publication I did see the shot, the caption did state that Larry received a minor facial injury from the shunt.

Larry's ops were very much shoe-string. His crew consisted of Mom & Dad with the Lotus transported on an open trailer towed by, iirc, a Ford Fairlane. With the car a non-starter, it was loaded back onto the trailer and at day's end, they headed for home...presumably, the Toronto area. They welcomed me to come along for the ride back to my home in Bowmanville as I had...as always...hitch-hiked out to the track. On arriving in B'ville, I was quite happy to jump out at one of the main intersections and walk the couple of blocks home but Larry and his parents insisted on taking me directly home. Dropped me right off directly in front of my house on Beech Avenue. You can't imagine the thrill! :)

Larry would have been a licence holder with the CASC and as a consequence by default, a club member. Somewhere, perhaps in the CASC archives, there must be a record of his membership.

Edit: I'd like to stress that I'm referring to Larry's last name as 'Reilly'. That is my recollection but it could be slightly different...ie, Reily. Afterall, it was more than 40 years ago. :)

#693 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 20:59

Great post Bob - and we look forward to your memories and photos of east coast Canadian racing. I'm especially interested in 1968-71 Formula B. Were you involved?

#694 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,749 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:42

Originally posted by Manfred Cubenoggin
.....They welcomed me to come along for the ride back to my home in Bowmanville as I had...as always...hitch-hiked out to the track.....

Was there any other way?

I don't know how many race meetings I hitch-hiked to, but it was always a part of the game when I was young. So many extra memories because of that.

#695 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:39

Being far too old to troll through a 600-odd post thread, I am taking a chance that this subject has not arisen before.

I have just bought a smashing little model of the Lotus 19 that SCM drove to victory at Laguna Seca in 1961.

The odd thing is that the headlight cover on one side is clear, as expected, but the other side is grey. Is this a modelling error or did it really run like that? And if it did, why.....

Posted Image

#696 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,593 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:11

Posted Image
I think it had headlight covers on both sides at Monterey
This is from 1960 though not 1961.
photo Ike Smith.

#697 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,218 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:10

Originally posted by Barry Boor
The odd thing is that the headlight cover on one side is clear, as expected, but the other side is grey. Is this a modelling error or did it really run like that? And if it did, why.....

Posted Image

From what I tell from photos in contemporary reports (CP, Motoracing), it looks like it really ran like that. Don't know why, though. In a photo of Moss at Riverside, the car has the pattern across the front that the other UDT cars had, but not at Laguna Seca. What was that pattern, anyways?

Vince H.

#698 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:00

That would be the tartan band that all the UDT cars carried in Europe, Vince.

#699 CLR

CLR

• 42 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:08

Re the model.
I am interested to know what the square black area is above the drivers legs.
Its too far back to be anything to do with engine or gearbox cooling.
Fuel and oil are carried in the two side pontoons, so its not that.
Anyone know ?
Kevin Whittle

Advertisement

#700 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:30

It looks like a driver cooling vent.