Photo

Case history: Lotus 19 Monte Carlo

• Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

#801 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 17:49

Yes, Alan and Ted, a book is in the offing, it's just working out how best to present it....in a format people will want to buy!

Advertisement

#802 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 17:53

Yes, Alan and Ted, a book is in the offing, it's just working out how best to present it....in a format people will want to buy!

Pages, photos, text, chassis history! :clap:
Tom

P.S. I'll buy one! :wave:

Edited by RA Historian, 01 February 2010 - 17:54.

#803 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:22

David, didn't we have a photograph of that car on here many moons ago?
Roger Lund

This was at the Portland Historics in about 1979--the blue Lotus Eleven is #541 I think-Moss drove it at Sebring, red Eleven is Fred McNabb-don't know the chassis #

Posted Image

Edited by David Birchall, 02 February 2010 - 01:33.

#804 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,880 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:48

Another customer here.

#805 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:44

I'll take one, Michael!

Anyone know where I can get plexi headlight covers for a 19? Thanks.

#806 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:49

I was just on the phone this morning with Margaret Coad in Midland, Ontario, Canada. She is the widow of Dennis Coad. Apparently he passed away on December 4, 2001. Dennis was Canadian champion in 1963 in Lotus 19 s/n 959. They moved to Alberta from 1975 to 1987, and then back to Midland. They have three girls, grandkids, and great grandkids. One daughter, Keri Fontaine in Barrie, Ontario, has the scrapbooks. Apparently Dennis had boxes of stuff which she has put in books.

On Wednesday, a tornado came through Midland, Ontario. I emailed Keri Coad. Here is her response:

"Hello Vince,

Thank you for your concern. We were very lucky. King St. was the worst hit
and mom lives one street over. I went up and got her after the tornado went
through town and it was very sad to see the distruction and such relief that
she was okay.
Thank you very much for your concern and I will pass it along to mom.
All the best to you and your family.

Keri Coad..."

#807 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,469 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:10

I'll take one, Michael!

These people probably made the originals, being a British company, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they still have the patterns.... Visit My Website

#808 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 15:28

When the Causey car was advertised in 1967 the ad said that it had a Huffaker transaxle but that could have been a later development maybe? I don't possess any photos of that car that give me a good view of the box as the bodywork flipped backwards and obscured the box...

Michael, I have sent you a direct e mail which might possibly help you with this.
Tom

#809 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 17:12

These people probably made the originals, being a British company, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they still have the patterns.... Visit My Website

The links on this website do not connect...

Speaking of gearboxes, I have a (NOS) Colotti T37 for sale. :blush:

#810 Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum

• 6 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:52

The links on this website do not connect...

Speaking of gearboxes, I have a (NOS) Colotti T37 for sale. :blush:

This seems to be attached to the wrong item, but perhaps it is all chronological. If not, sorry for the confusion!

The plexi wind screen, side windows and headlight covers are available in the U.S. from Aircraft Windshield Company, Los Alamitos, CA Phone (562) 430-8108, or gallo1313@aol.com

#811 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 13:08

Lotus 19, No. 963, was at Road America this past weekend, owned by Vincent Dean of Leawood, Kansas. It is powered by an aluminum Buick V-8. It has been restored nicely, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, is quite the "gearshift knob" car; that is, a new car built around the gearshift lever of the original. Unlike previous owners, who made preposterous claims about it having been the 'Dan Gurney car', Dean was very upfront about the car's history. He had a signboard next to the car that stated that it was originally the Harry Olds/Bob Columbosian car and that it had been wrecked in the mid sixties and extensively rebuilt.
Tom

#812 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 15:02

Does it still have a Hewland?
If so, I wonder if he would like a Colotti?

Actually Tom, it has a bit more than the 'gearshift knob' of the original car. John Maycock acquired most of the original suspension from Bob McKee when John restored the car in the eighties.

Edited by David Birchall, 20 July 2010 - 15:04.

#813 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 19:14

Actually Tom, it has a bit more than the 'gearshift knob' of the original car. John Maycock acquired most of the original suspension from Bob McKee when John restored the car in the eighties.

I was using that as a broad brush, but you get the idea. Far more in the car that is 'new' than when it was original.

But, as I said earlier, Dean and his crew were up front and honest about their car's pedigree. Unlike a certain McLaren M8F that was present this weekend, whose owner claims that it is the Peter Revson car when it has clearly been proven that it is not.
Tom

#814 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:53

I was using that as a broad brush, but you get the idea. Far more in the car that is 'new' than when it was original.

But, as I said earlier, Dean and his crew were up front and honest about their car's pedigree. Unlike a certain McLaren M8F that was present this weekend, whose owner claims that it is the Peter Revson car when it has clearly been proven that it is not.
Tom

Tom, did you get contact info for this guy? Also, did he mention that he had the original chassis? I ensured that John Delane picked it up here in the Vancouver area a couple of years ago.

#815 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:52

Tom, did you get contact info for this guy? Also, did he mention that he had the original chassis? I ensured that John Delane picked it up here in the Vancouver area a couple of years ago.

No I did not, David, but if you want it I can likely get it for you.
Tom

#816 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:52

No I did not, David, but if you want it I can likely get it for you.
Tom

I have it, Tom, and have passed it on to David.

Vince H.

#817 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:07

I have it, Tom, and have passed it on to David.

Vince H.

Thanks, Vince, I appreciate it!
Tom

#818 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:09

Hello everyone! Just wanted to re-introduce myself. I used to go by the username "lotus19", but have forgotten my password and don't have access to my old email address... Long story short, my new username is "MossRules". I am still working on my 19 replica, although not much has happened during the past year--having a 2 year-old daughter steals a lot of your spare time! Still figuring out what engine I will be using. Have just been buying little odds and ends... Are any of you going to Laguna Seca next weekend? Chassis 951, The Arciero Bros. car, will be on display and Carl Moore will be racing chassis 959 on Saturday. I was lucky enough to be introduced to Carl through Dan Davis, the publisher of "Victory Lane" magazine. I plan on taking lots of photos of both of the 19's, but if there is any particular shot/feature of either car anyone wants, just pm me.

BTW, here are some shots of my 19 project: http://www.pbase.com.../lotus_19_build

Joe Martin

Edited by MossRules, 09 August 2010 - 05:17.

#819 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:16

The plexi wind screen, side windows and headlight covers are available in the U.S. from Aircraft Windshield Company, Los Alamitos, CA Phone (562) 430-8108, or gallo1313@aol.com

Hi Terry. I'm the guy that bought all of the plexi from you at John's old shop. Thanks again! Unfortunately, the extra set of headlight covers are too big and shaped wrong--must be for another car. I'll give these guys a call.

Joe Martin

Advertisement

#820 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:36

Are any of you going to Laguna Seca next weekend? Chassis 951, The Arciero Bros. car, will be on display

Yes Joe, apparently a number of us will be at Laguna Seca next weekend as discussed in the following thread:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=131150

Hopefully we can all get together at 10 am on the Saturday as mentioned in the thread.

Ryan Arciero is on the entry list to race the #96 Lotus 19 on the Sunday.

Vince H.

#821 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 13:53

Yes Joe, apparently a number of us will be at Laguna Seca next weekend as discussed in the following thread:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=131150

Hopefully we can all get together at 10 am on the Saturday as mentioned in the thread.

Ryan Arciero is on the entry list to race the #96 Lotus 19 on the Sunday.

Vince H.

Sounds good, Vince. I'll look for you and the others at the #15 Vette...

BTW, I asked Carl Moore about the other 19 racing on Sunday. He thinks it's a typo--he's pretty sure it's the Arciero 23.

Joe

#822 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:17

Sounds good, Vince. I'll look for you and the others at the #15 Vette...

BTW, I asked Carl Moore about the other 19 racing on Sunday. He thinks it's a typo--he's pretty sure it's the Arciero 23.

Joe

Jim Roth is also on the entry list to race the #196 23, which is apparently one of the Arciero cars, in the same group as the #96 Arciero Lotus 19. We'll see!

Looking forward to meeting you and the other TNFers at the #15 Vette on Saturday.

Vince H.

#823 MossRules

MossRules

• 13 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:59

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you guys on Saturday--I was up at the corkscrew when I realized what time it was... Anyway, I didn't get too many pics this time. I planned on taking a lot more on Sunday, but something came up at home and I wasn't able to make it both days...

I tried to get lots of detail shots of both 19's that were there: http://www.pbase.com...a_2010&page=all

Joe

#824 bill p

bill p

• 365 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:41

John Coundley's "19" at 1964 Brands Hatch GP meeting

Posted Image

#825 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 16:48

#

John Coundley's "19" at 1964 Brands Hatch GP meeting

Posted Image

Not 100% that is John Coundleys 19, Coundleys car had the rear wheels covered it did in 1965 when it raced at Aintree pretty sure his was red, it was only the UDT cars that had the rear wheel arch cut away could it be George Pitts car #953 which soon after my father bought.

Edited by Steve O'Brien, 19 August 2010 - 17:34.

#826 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 18:06

On the Wednesday before the races I sat down for lunch at one of the stands and the person sitting next to me said "Hi" and started a conversation--it was Carl Moore! I had not realised that he had the ex Peter Ryan car there so I took a couple of pics:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Also the Gurney car:
Posted Image

#827 bill p

bill p

• 365 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:40

#
Not 100% that is John Coundleys 19, Coundleys car had the rear wheels covered it did in 1965 when it raced at Aintree pretty sure his was red, it was only the UDT cars that had the rear wheel arch cut away could it be George Pitts car #953 which soon after my father bought.

Yes, could be Pitt's car

Pitt numbered No 7 and Coundley No 8 at the meeting - the photo shows the car arriving before practice, so No 24 must have been from its previous race. Are wire wheels front and rear a clue?

If I remember correctly the car in the photo was a pale metallic green with a white noseband & stripe

Edited by bill p, 20 August 2010 - 08:41.

#828 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:36

Yes, could be Pitt's car

Pitt numbered No 7 and Coundley No 8 at the meeting - the photo shows the car arriving before practice, so No 24 must have been from its previous race. Are wire wheels front and rear a clue?

If I remember correctly the car in the photo was a pale metallic green with a white noseband & stripe

Im sure Coundleys car had wobbleis on im pretty sure thats my fathers old car chassis 953 Steve.

Edited by Steve O'Brien, 20 August 2010 - 13:22.

#829 sblick

sblick

• 479 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:00

Hopefully this didn't post twice but Vince Dean's Lotus 19 will be at Lime Rock and then the Watkins Glen Vintage Races

#830 CLR

CLR

• 42 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 16:08

I'll take one, Michael!

I bought mine from Peter Denty

Kevin

#831 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:02

Those of you with a deep or even passing interest in Lotus 19s (a few of us, judging by the length of this topic!) might like to know that Tony Robinson will be on the guest speaker panel at the Racing Lotus film festival, taking place on November 13/14 at Eynsham Hall.

He will be recounting some anecdotes for us but also attending the Gala Dinner, so if there's anything you ever wanted to know about 19s, there probably won't be a better opportunity to ask! Of course, even if you can't think of anything to ask him about 19s, I am sure he would be happy to talk to you about his times with Alf Francis, Stirling Moss, Bruce Halford, Chris Bristow, Harry Schell, Masten Gregory, Henry Taylor, Cliff Allison, Trevor Taylor and Innes Ireland...oh and he worked with Jochen Rindt at Coopers too.

More info here.

Edited by Michael Oliver, 27 October 2010 - 09:04.

#832 Mike Summers

Mike Summers

• 129 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:55

Just posted in our club newsletter, Carl Moore is selling the ex Peter Ryan Lotus 19. 1961 Grand Prix of Canada at Mosport winner. Currently with a 2.5 L Climax. It is an amazing car. Pictures posted just above.

Mike Summers

#833 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:12

I am still looking for "964", pace Michael I know you don't know where it is, but does anybody have a clue? It was seeing the Pitt car described as Coundley's that prompted the question.

#834 olav glasius

olav glasius

• 61 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:56

I still urgently need a Colotti gearbox to finish my
very original (Original chassis and body) 19.
Does anybody on this planet knows a gearbox?
Happy new year

Olav Glasius

#835 Peter Horsman

Peter Horsman

• 64 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:04

Olav - I have PM'd you. Regards

Peter

#836 archie

archie

• 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 19:34

I am doing this wrong for sure and have posted on a new form but will give this a try also. I am working on lotus 19 number 952 and need a look at proper motor mounts for a 2.0. photos would great and prints would be even better.
thanks for the assist.
archie hodge

#837 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 20:09

Seeing that the rhread has risen to the top again rack your brains 964 Where is it?

#838 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,420 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 21:17

I am doing this wrong for sure and have posted on a new form but will give this a try also. I am working on lotus 19 number 952 and need a look at proper motor mounts for a 2.0. photos would great and prints would be even better.
thanks for the assist.
archie hodge

Which one?

Paste here from earlier in thread:

1961 UDT Laystall 2.0 Climax
1961 Team Rosebud as of Dec at Nassau (Moss)
1962 Team Rosebud 2.5 Climax fitted for win by Innes Ireland at Nassau (Source: Jerry Entin per Willem Oosthoek. Post 437)
1962-63 Team Rosebud, fitted with Ferrari engine prior to the Pacific NW Grand Prix (29Sep63), Kent Washington

’952’
1963 Rosebud replacement for 952 (Ferrari engine), raced by Ireland USA 1964
196_ Rosebud donated to the Victoria High School (Texas) auto shop
1977-1985 Charles Smith-Maxwell, purchased from the Victoria HS and brought to UK (post540)
1985 Sold to Higgins brothers, Lincolnshire (post616); raced by Bill Higgins 1994: replica built still with Ian Higgins (?)
1996 to present, Baron Otto Reedtz-Thott, Denmark now fitted w 2.0L engine. Ferrari engine still with Ian Higgins (?).

#839 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 882 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:54

thanks for the assist.
archie hodge

Archie, are you working on the car owned by Baron Otto Reedtz-Thott then?

Advertisement

#840 archie

archie

• 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:27

I can asure you that it is 952 and has been in this country for 2 years or so. The owner at this time wishes me to keep his name off this message board ( a private sort of person )at this time but he lives in the seattle area.
Now that i have offered some information about the number, i hope that i can get some help in the restoration with info and photos when i ask. I have found some very helpful people but one can never have too many.
archie
[/quote]

#841 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,880 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:21

Please don't take this the wrong way Archie, but we get a lot of people coming onto the forums using some variety of wording such as "I can assure you that it is ..." and we can all think of examples when those assurances weren't on solid foundations.

You don't have to give the owner's name but we are bound to ask more - for example how long as the owner had the car and who did he buy it from?

#842 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 16:59

I can asure you that it is 952 and has been in this country for 2 years or so. The owner at this time wishes me to keep his name off this message board ( a private sort of person )at this time but he lives in the seattle area.
Now that i have offered some information about the number, i hope that i can get some help in the restoration with info and photos when i ask. I have found some very helpful people but one can never have too many.
archie

Hi Archie, please don't be put off by the questions-we see some stuff on this forum that is just plain crooked and some that is just wishful thinking... I can vouch for you and I probably know the new owner--the secrecy thing is a give away!
I would think Mike Oliver may have access to engine mount photos...

ps Archie built new frames for two nineteens-one that I was involved with-back in the mid eighties and he also built a new frame for my 23B. Archie is the 'main man' for repairing space frame chassis on the West Coast.

#843 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:16

I'm still banging on about 964, the only info I have is that it went from the Coundley quartet to Phil Scragg in 1964. Michael says somewhere that he had heard it was still in the UK. So where did it go after Phil? I have the time and the interest to try to trace it but need a start, any leads anybody?

#844 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:57

I think the 19 was one of the cars entered by Phil Scragg that failed to turn up at an event .

#845 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 13:27

I think the 19 was one of the cars entered by Phil Scragg that failed to turn up at an event .

So where is it, the member of the quartet which owned the car whom I know doesn't remember who bought it. I have tried to contact John Coundley without success. Phil died at Silverstone, Anne, his one time girlfriend I can't find and John Carden who was one of his best mates died last year, so I can't ask him. As I asked earlier any leads for me to pursue?

#846 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,880 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 14:10

Might be worth asking Chris Mason if he recalls where it went.

#847 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 20:38

So where is it, the member of the quartet which owned the car whom I know doesn't remember who bought it. I have tried to contact John Coundley without success. Phil died at Silverstone, Anne, his one time girlfriend I can't find and John Carden who was one of his best mates died last year, so I can't ask him. As I asked earlier any leads for me to pursue?

Im sure John Scott Davis owned 964 in 1965 I remember him racing it against my father at Aintree who had 953 at the time.

#848 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:14

Im sure John Scott Davis owned 964 in 1965 I remember him racing it against my father at Aintree who had 953 at the time.

Thanks for that Steve, I'll start down the Scotty Road and see where that takes me--apart from Bootle
John

#849 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:30

Thanks for that Steve, I'll start down the Scotty Road and see where that takes me--apart from Bootle
John

Pretty certain it was fitted with a 2.7 climax

#850 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,560 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:15

Pretty certain it was fitted with a 2.7 climax

It was fitted with a 2.7 when it was owned by the Coundley syndicate so that is a little way to confirmation