Jump to content


Photo

Case history: Lotus 19 Monte Carlo


  • Please log in to reply
934 replies to this topic

#301 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 09 November 2006 - 15:34

Originally posted by Ray Bell


Marc Schagen has been in touch with me after I e.mailed him...

He's reluctant to be drawn into posting here, but he tells me that Matich and others confirmed that the car had a chassis number. Definitely.

Unfortunately, he says, Frank never bothered to put that number on his Warwick Farm entry forms. I doubt that he put them on any others, either. Marc would have had access to those entry forms at one stage, I would suggest.


Ray: it is hard to make much comment on Mark Schagen's input, as it has been confined to things reported by you following your email exchange.

If you mean that he has verified that the car definitely had a chassis number, yes that is significant, it is just that no-one is able to say what that number was...I would argue that even that isn't terribly significant, since it could have read #999 for all we know!

For me, that there is no definite record of chassis #950 racing after late 1961 anywhere else, the similarities between the cars, and the fact that other cars are accounted for at the time around Jan 62 when Matich took delivery suggest that it was indeed 950 that was sold to Matich. If that is so, it presumably also has implications for the history of one of the green cars currently in the UK...

Ray: can I pick you up on something you said in post #259, where you said Bruce Richardson had conducted all the negotiations (to buy the Matich 19) in England. Are we talking about the original 19 or the later 19B chassis? I only ask because Bryan Miller's post #256 seemed to suggest that Matich had agreed in the US to buy the car driven by Stirling Moss there. So either Richardson finished off the detail of the negotiations for the original 19 or we are talking about a different transaction altogether, for the replacement chassis after the smash which damaged the original chassis beyond repair?

On a slightly different theme, I went to the 1998 Lotus 50th Anniversary meeting at Brands Hatch and recall there were two 19s present in UDT colours. One was entered and driven by Otto Reedtz-Thott, which is presumably the same car he still has today. The other was driven on the day by R. Austin (Richard?) but I don't know if he was just the driver or the driver and entrant. Can anyone help? I thought I had the programme and some photos in my loft but can find neither... Is this the car which went to Robert Brooks? Does anybody have any info on its previous ownership?

Advertisement

#302 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 09 November 2006 - 17:25

I've always presumed the Richard Austin car was the one which went to Brooks. It had previously been with Terry Buffum in 1972, and I suspect the source which gave me that information also made the claim that the car had been in the US since 1961.
I have now gone through this entire thread again and am happy to believe the (first) Matich car was 950, as run by the UDT-Laystall team in 1960 and 1961

#303 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:02

Originally posted by David Birchall
My info shows #964 as the Coundley car-with wire wheels-race in the UK but going to Terry Buffum in California


It's got wobblies now - wonder what happend to the wire wheels!

#304 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,586 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:05

Some details of the Higgins bros and their 19 on Ian's Croft site.

http://www.racing70s...lotus_1923b.htm

Roger Lund.

#305 Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell
  • Member

  • 30 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 10 November 2006 - 19:54

Originally posted by David McKinney
My information is that Moss drove a different UDT-Laystall 19 in 1961 (number unknown) and that 950 was already in US ownership by then
But, as I may have said before, I'm by no means certain about any of this


Going back through the thread myself David, I have returned several times to your comment above. Michael and I agree that there is no clear record that confirms UDT950 came back to America in 1961, however the logistics are pretty defining. Anything else come to mind regarding your original thought?

#306 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 10 November 2006 - 20:27

No, nothing concrete to add
I can only think that when I first saw the so-callled 950 in historic racing I was told (or perhaps read) that it was the original 1960 UDT/Moss car that went to the US in 1961. However, we don't have any 1961 US candidates for that car but on the other hand do have good reason to believe it remained in UDT hands in Europe. Which in turn removes the earlier reason for thinking 950 could not have gone to Matich

#307 BT 35-8

BT 35-8
  • Member

  • 221 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 10 November 2006 - 21:26

Michael,

If I can make a slight correction, your post above seems to say that Matich was conducting purchase of Lotus 19 with Matich in the USA, this was not the impression Frank gave me, rather Frank was here , Stirling in the US and Frank spoke to Stirling via the 'phone.

In regard to the Elfin Traco, I believe this car started life with a ZF , and possibly when acquired by Neil Allen , and given the short nose treatment it also was then fitted with the DG300 Hewland which the car still retains.

Bryan.

#308 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 10 November 2006 - 21:45

Originally posted by BT 35-8
Michael,

If I can make a slight correction, your post above seems to say that Matich was conducting purchase of Lotus 19 with Matich in the USA, this was not the impression Frank gave me, rather Frank was here , Stirling in the US and Frank spoke to Stirling via the 'phone.

In regard to the Elfin Traco, I believe this car started life with a ZF , and possibly when acquired by Neil Allen , and given the short nose treatment it also was then fitted with the DG300 Hewland which the car still retains.

Bryan.


Bryan

Thanks for clarifying that. I have a further query regarding the deal to buy the original 19. In post #259 Ray Bell says that the negotiations were done in England by Bruce Richardson. However, it is not clear whether he is referrring to the original 19 or the replacement chassis bought after the original chassis was written off? Do you know, I am sure I've written this message once but I've just checked and I can't find it anywhere on the thread!

While we are on the subject of the Matich car, it would be good to pull together the definitive racing record of his 19 and 19B, would anybody care to make a start? I'm afraid I don't have the necessary reference material to even attempt such a task!!!

Michael

#309 BT 35-8

BT 35-8
  • Member

  • 221 posts
  • Joined: March 06

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:28

Michael,

The replacement chassis bit , I asked Frank that question , and he could not remember , I don't think we ended up with a conclusion , as there was/is the possibility that Bob Brittain [ Rennmax ] did a new chassis locally , totally clueless on a correct answer.
Marc Schagen has a full list of races entered and results , I turned all these over to Mark as I had been the Club Lotus Registrar for about 8 years , I took over from Marc's father Adrian and Adrian had meticulously recorded everything.
If my memory serves me , the first race meeting was at Catalina Park, this Frank remembered as the crank in the FPF broke after about two laps.
Adrian was the person who started and kept all the race resuts and changes of ownership and the lack of a chassis no. for the 19 in Adrian's records was something that intrigued myself , he would have recorded the number if possible , and also the reason Kevin Whittle and I set about trying to solve the riddle.

Regards Bryan.

#310 archie

archie
  • New Member

  • 8 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 11 November 2006 - 08:57

Some added history.The two 19's that terry buffum has or had were reframed be me.Archie Hodge.
One had the climax and one had the aluminum buick.I also reframed 2 others in the same time period.The armstrong shocks were also rebuilt by myself. Does anyone know is terry still has them or where they went?
Thx archie

#311 dbw

dbw
  • Member

  • 993 posts
  • Joined: October 00

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:28

the "moss" car was pretty much constructed from whole cloth ..archie's frame, c&w engine ,new wheels, locally made glas body....i have to assume this is commonly known.

dbw

#312 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 11 November 2006 - 16:20

Originally posted by archie
Some added history.The two 19's that terry buffum has or had were reframed be me.Archie Hodge.
One had the climax and one had the aluminum buick.I also reframed 2 others in the same time period.The armstrong shocks were also rebuilt by myself. Does anyone know is terry still has them or where they went?
Thx archie


Hi Archie, I didn't expect to see you here! You made a frame for my 23B (23/S/119) at about the same time that you did the two 19 frames-for John Maycock (#963) and Ed Richter (#960).

#313 Mark Campbell

Mark Campbell
  • Member

  • 30 posts
  • Joined: June 06

Posted 11 November 2006 - 18:34

Originally posted by David McKinney

My understanding is that 950 went to the USA in 1961, 952 became the Rosebud Team car, and 953 stayed in the UK with Mike Pendleton and later George Pitt. Having said that, I don't know where Michael got those Goodwood chassis numbers from - they weren't in the programme

Originally posted by David McKinney
No, nothing concrete to add
I can only think that when I first saw the so-callled 950 in historic racing I was told (or perhaps read) that it was the original 1960 UDT/Moss car that went to the US in 1961. However, we don't have any 1961 US candidates for that car but on the other hand do have good reason to believe it remained in UDT hands in Europe. Which in turn removes the earlier reason for thinking 950 could not have gone to Matich


David, I know now why your comment stuck in my mind. There is a book titled Pro Sports Car Racing by Dave Friedmann (Classic Motorbooks, ISBN 0-7603-0618-4) that has a chapter on the 19. In it he writes (pg 7) of the first 1960 season,

"A successful American debut was followed the following week by the Laguna Seca event, and Moss won both heats, hands down. Gurney was hampered by the shearing off of the wheel studs in practice, and the time left before the main event was not enough, and he failed to start. By the way, the Moss car was then purchased by the Arciero's, and so the restored car car you may see today is actually that first car, with the external piping. It is cerntainly not the Daytona winner of 1962. "

#314 archie

archie
  • New Member

  • 8 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 11 November 2006 - 18:52

hey david,
I do remember you and your 23. Did i not put the sheet metal on your chassis as well.I think it was coated white on one side?
I did not reframe ed's 19. He provided it for me to copy as it was very original,but i did not reframe it as he said we would do it when he retired. I never heard from him again and i have tried to find him because i still have his seat for his 19. I would like nothing more than to see this seat reunited with that chassis.
Do you still have your 23?
good to hear from you.Archie

#315 olav glasius

olav glasius
  • Member

  • 61 posts
  • Joined: September 05

Posted 11 November 2006 - 20:18

re. 962 I spoke the widow of Rod Carveth, she remembered the car very well,
her first question was "Is the Buick engine still in the car" .amazing after 44 years
for a lady, she will send me photo s how it was when new. It was painted black.
Stan Peterson , who I spoke too,its third owner painted it orange/red.
What I want to know is, is it 100% that 962 was first owned by Rod Carveth

#316 mach535

mach535
  • New Member

  • 2 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 12 November 2006 - 19:18

Hello all,
I have been following this thread with great interest as I recently rescued a 19 body from a shop at Sears point.
It can be seen at: http://synthesize.us/Lotus_19
It is green and wears #27. The body has many details that make me think it may have been manufactured by Lotus as an original or as a replacement. I scratched down to check for rivets which are present but painted over.

Any info about this body, where it came from and why it was abondoned, would be greatly appreciated. I am also trying to locate a chassis or drawings to build a replica from

Also please help me improve the wikipedia data on the Lotus 19 (I started the article yesterday). I would love to see
more of the "lesser-known" knowledge there. There are articles in need relating to all Lotus and the World Sportscar races of the sixties.

Thank you for all the great info.
Andrew Sofie

PS. Also I am working on a page about the Jps Europa I am restoring. http://synthesize.us/Lotus_Europa

#317 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 12 November 2006 - 19:28

Well, Archie Hodge who posted here for the first time yesterday has built several 19 chassis, But, what do you plan to do with it? I used to own an original Chevron B16 body but decided against building a B16 because apart from other concerns, the body, as you of course realise, is the most 'disposable' part of the car.

That apart, do they have any more? :blush:

#318 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 12 November 2006 - 23:26

Originally posted by Mark Campbell



David, I know now why your comment stuck in my mind. There is a book titled Pro Sports Car Racing by Dave Friedmann (Classic Motorbooks, ISBN 0-7603-0618-4) that has a chapter on the 19. In it he writes (pg 7) of the first 1960 season,

"A successful American debut was followed the following week by the Laguna Seca event, and Moss won both heats, hands down. Gurney was hampered by the shearing off of the wheel studs in practice, and the time left before the main event was not enough, and he failed to start. By the way, the Moss car was then purchased by the Arciero's, and so the restored car car you may see today is actually that first car, with the external piping. It is cerntainly not the Daytona winner of 1962. "


Interesting, interesting. But it begs an awful lot of questions:

- Given that UDT Laystall raced three cars several times in 1961 in the UK, which chassis would have been left for them to field if they had sold 950 at the end of 1960? And what was sold to Matich at the end of 1961?
- Did Arciero have two 19s, if so, why did they not race two cars some times?
- If they sold one on, where did it go and why does it not appear in any results or is not mentioned as ex-Arciero in reports?

I guess there are several ways of verifying this statement: speak to Gurney, speak to Arciero, they should know...

My initial instinct is that this is incorrect, and that Arciero simply adapted and modified their car continuously, hence it changed considerably throughout its racing life, including the modification of running the oil and water pipes inside the chassis rather than outside. However, it would be fascinating if it proved to be correct, and would really throw the cat amongst the pigeons!

#319 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 53,946 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:06

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
.....Ray: can I pick you up on something you said in post #259, where you said Bruce Richardson had conducted all the negotiations (to buy the Matich 19) in England. Are we talking about the original 19 or the later 19B chassis? I only ask because Bryan Miller's post #256 seemed to suggest that Matich had agreed in the US to buy the car driven by Stirling Moss there. So either Richardson finished off the detail of the negotiations for the original 19 or we are talking about a different transaction altogether, for the replacement chassis after the smash which damaged the original chassis beyond repair?


Sorry I haven't got to this sooner, Michael, but I am on the road at the moment...

Bruce Richardson went to England to buy the original car. The '19B' chassis, Bruce told me, was simply bought from Lotus (undoubtedly by phone order or through the Geoghegans) when the crash took place. He did say it was a Lotus chassis, and he didn't go to England to buy it.

Bryan... sorry, but when John Ellacott posted that the 'Traco' had a Hewland in the Peterbilt yard, he was talking about day one and he took the photo that proves it.

Advertisement

#320 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:34

Originally posted by Ray Bell


Sorry I haven't got to this sooner, Michael, but I am on the road at the moment...

Bruce Richardson went to England to buy the original car. The '19B' chassis, Bruce told me, was simply bought from Lotus (undoubtedly by phone order or through the Geoghegans) when the crash took place. He did say it was a Lotus chassis, and he didn't go to England to buy it.

Bryan... sorry, but when John Ellacott posted that the 'Traco' had a Hewland in the Peterbilt yard, he was talking about day one and he took the photo that proves it.


OK, Ray, thanks for clarifying that.

#321 Allen Brown

Allen Brown
  • Member

  • 4,883 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 13 November 2006 - 13:40

Has the Peter Bloore car been mentioned yet?

Allen

#322 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 13 November 2006 - 13:46

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Has the Peter Bloore car been mentioned yet?

Allen


Don't tease us Allen, you know it hasn't...! Do tell.

#323 Allen Brown

Allen Brown
  • Member

  • 4,883 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 13 November 2006 - 13:53

I was told to post that by someone too timid to post it himself.

Apparantly Peter's had it for the best part of 20 years.

Allen

#324 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 13 November 2006 - 15:32

Originally posted by Allen Brown
I was told to post that by someone too timid to post it himself.

Apparantly Peter's had it for the best part of 20 years.

Allen


Is this one of the cars which went to a Swiss hillclimber, originally with a Maser engine?

#325 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,586 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 13 November 2006 - 15:46

Originally posted by Allen Brown


Apparantly Peter's had it for the best part of 20 years.

Allen


Will this fall into the category of "Cat among the pigeons" or do you know all about it Michael?

Roger Lund

#326 Allen Brown

Allen Brown
  • Member

  • 4,883 posts
  • Joined: December 00

Posted 13 November 2006 - 16:07

Sorry Michael, I have no idea. I'll try to get my source to spill more.

Or do you want to give Peter a call?

#327 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 13 November 2006 - 16:28

Roger: Cat among the pigeons? I hope not, unless it is NOT one of the three cars which I don't have a home for currently...

Allen: I would be happy to give Peter a call, that is, if your source doesn't feel up to spilling the beans!

OK, now some more questions. I would like to track down the following Lotus 19-related people, can anyone help?:

Tom Terrell (was a native of Chicago in the early 1960s when he raced his 19)
Charlie Kolb (who I believe still lives in Florida)

#328 Ted Walker

Ted Walker
  • Member

  • 1,432 posts
  • Joined: November 01

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:31

I understand that John Delane in the USA has a 19 Buick. Which one is that ???

#329 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,422 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 14 November 2006 - 13:15

Originally posted by Ted Walker
I understand that John Delane in the USA has a 19 Buick. Which one is that ???


From earlier mentions on this thread, 963.

#330 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 53,946 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:54

Just because John Ellacott took such a good photo and it needs to be brought back to the surface...

Posted Image

Chassis 950? We resolved that, didn't we? As close as we could get, anyway.

#331 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:21

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Just because John Ellacott took such a good photo and it needs to be brought back to the surface...

Posted Image

Chassis 950? We resolved that, didn't we? As close as we could get, anyway.


Ray

A great photo indeed!

I don't think we know *for sure* but there are still a couple of avenues left to pursue. I have recently noticed some detail on the car which I don't think seems to be on others, so I will follow up and try and get some close-up shots of 950 while it was in the UK to compare...

#332 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 16 November 2006 - 23:26

Does anyone recall a bright red 19 with yellow wobbly web wheels that was raced (possibly at Lime Rock, I am told) around 1992-93 by a Walter Bladstrom of Connecticut? I would be interested to find out what engine the car had and whether someone can fill me in on its previous known history. There is a pic here:

http://www.race-cars...us/l19x01pa.jpg

By pure coincidence (I think, no, make that hope!) there is a Lotus 19 fuel tank for sale on eBay at present, the vendor being from Connecticut...

#333 RA Historian

RA Historian
  • Member

  • 3,422 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 16 November 2006 - 23:51

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
Does anyone recall a bright red 19 with yellow wobbly web wheels that was raced (possibly at Lime Rock, I am told) around 1992-93 by a Walter Bladstrom of Connecticut?


I believe that is the same car that showed up, but did not run, at Road America sometime in the late 1980s, early 1990s. Did not get an ID on it then and have wondered about it ever since. This certainly looks like it. Anybody know which 19 this is?

#334 Ray Bell

Ray Bell
  • Member

  • 53,946 posts
  • Joined: December 99

Posted 17 November 2006 - 00:02

Originally posted by Michael Oliver
A great photo indeed!

I don't think we know *for sure* but there are still a couple of avenues left to pursue. I have recently noticed some detail on the car which I don't think seems to be on others, so I will follow up and try and get some close-up shots of 950 while it was in the UK to compare...


John has lots of great photos...

As for detail changes, a lot really depends on when the pics were taken. I realise that many of Matich's changes to the cars took place during the time of the '19B', but I doubt that he held back too much on changing things he felt needed changing on the 19.

The very reason for its demise, in fact, was the fitting of new rear uprights. Did I post this before? I was wrong about Bruce being in it to warm it up... Matich had come in from testing saying it felt funny, and he asked Bruce to go out and drive it while he followed him in the Elfin openwheeler. The upright broke and Bruce went into the fence.

I wonder if the '19B' chassis was sent out as some kind of 'compensation' for the damaged caused by the flawed (cast too thin) upright?

#335 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 17 November 2006 - 15:12

Originally posted by Ray Bell


John has lots of great photos...

As for detail changes, a lot really depends on when the pics were taken. I realise that many of Matich's changes to the cars took place during the time of the '19B', but I doubt that he held back too much on changing things he felt needed changing on the 19.

The very reason for its demise, in fact, was the fitting of new rear uprights. Did I post this before? I was wrong about Bruce being in it to warm it up... Matich had come in from testing saying it felt funny, and he asked Bruce to go out and drive it while he followed him in the Elfin openwheeler. The upright broke and Bruce went into the fence.

I wonder if the '19B' chassis was sent out as some kind of 'compensation' for the damaged caused by the flawed (cast too thin) upright?


Ray: you could be right about the upright/chassis compensation combination! No, you didn't post the bit about Frank following when the accident took place, a ringside seat!

You say that John E has lots of great photos - do you think he has any more of when the car first arrived, any close-ups or detail shots, apart from those you have already posted? I am particularly interested in the unpainted side of the chassis, where the twin oil pipes run on the left-hand side and the twin water pipes run on the right-hand side.

RA Historian: I have been told it ran Monterey Historics in 1995 - anyone have some photos? The engine in it was 2.5 litres, so a Climax FPF I guess. It is a mystery to me, unless it is one of the European hillclimb cars.

#336 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin
  • Member

  • 804 posts
  • Joined: October 02

Posted 17 November 2006 - 15:16

Hi, Michael! A good lead for you, amigo.

http://forums.autosp...790#post2559790

#337 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 17 November 2006 - 18:08

Originally posted by Manfred Cubenoggin
Hi, Michael! A good lead for you, amigo.

http://forums.autosp...790#post2559790


Nice one Manfred, you did say you'd seen something like that! Thankyou. If I'm honest I checked it out as soon as I saw that the McKee thread was back on the first page and before I looked at the Lotus 19 thread!

Also, I have found a 'body-off' paddock shot of the Lerch car on http://www.autocours...1965/index.html which appears to clearly show a Lotus 19 cockpit bulkhead. The car appears to have been rebuilt after its Mt Tremblant flip and was entered for 1966 Mt Tremblant Can-Am by Marius Amiot. Not sure how it got from him to Montreal side-street in 1980s and then John Maycock but the time gap is narrowing...

#338 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 17 November 2006 - 23:48

Michael, linky no workee!

#339 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:02

Originally posted by David Birchall
Michael, linky no workee!


David, I think there was a rogue comma in there! I've edited the post and put a direct link to the page concerned. Scroll down to row 6 and there you are!

Advertisement

#340 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 18 November 2006 - 16:32

That's the chassis that is sitting at a friends place! I will try to get a photo and post it.

#341 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003
  • Member

  • 2,228 posts
  • Joined: March 05

Posted 18 November 2006 - 22:21

Here are the photos of the Roth and Bladstrom 19's in the '95 Monterey program:

Posted Image

Gil Nickel's chassis 950 was listed as car number 7 in the program...no photo...just noticed the entrant of the Gil Nickel car was Terry Buffum

Also just noticed this one too from the '95 Monterey program:

3 1960 Lotus 19 2500cc 956 Joel Finn (no photo)

Vince H.

#342 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 18 November 2006 - 23:41

Originally posted by David Birchall
That's the chassis that is sitting at a friends place! I will try to get a photo and post it.


David, I am confused! The chassis in the photo I posted the link to is the one sitting at your friend's house. Is this the one that John Maycock had a replacement made for when he rebuilt 963?

#343 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 18 November 2006 - 23:43

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
Here are the photos of the Roth and Bladstrom 19's in the '95 Monterey program:

Posted Image

Gil Nickel's chassis 950 was listed as car number 7 in the program...no photo...just noticed the entrant of the Gil Nickel car was Terry Buffum

Also just noticed this one too from the '95 Monterey program:

3 1960 Lotus 19 2500cc 956 Joel Finn (no photo)

Vince H.


Vince, many thanks for the photos and info about owners.

The Joel Finn car 956 is one of the two cars that went to Swiss hillclimbers, I believe this one went to Harry Zweifel.

Does anyone know if he still owns this car?

#344 David McKinney

David McKinney
  • Member

  • 14,156 posts
  • Joined: November 00

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:58

Fishing, Michael?
An earlier post in this thread says the present whereabouts of 956 is known. Maybe a PM would get an answer?

#345 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 19 November 2006 - 16:26

Originally posted by Michael Oliver


David, I am confused! The chassis in the photo I posted the link to is the one sitting at your friend's house. Is this the one that John Maycock had a replacement made for when he rebuilt 963?


Michael, yes. I don't understand your confusion :confused:

#346 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:40

Originally posted by David McKinney
Fishing, Michael?
An earlier post in this thread says the present whereabouts of 956 is known. Maybe a PM would get an answer?


Not fishing at all David - merely trying to clarifying conflicting info on the thread! The earlier post that you mention (#155, from Ted Walker) didn't identify the present owner, or whether they were in the UK or US, so I was just trying to find out if the car is still with Joel Finn or has changed hands since then...

I am also uncertain as to which car Harry Zweifel had. It appears to be generally agreed that the two Swiss cars were 956 and 961. In WINO's post #68 he ascribes 956 to Zweifel but David Birchall in amending RAP's original owner listing puts his name down alongside 961 in post #78. You, David, also had Zweifel down in 956 in post #146, so the majority view tends towards 956 (not very statistically significant though!) but I haven't seen a definitive answer yet...

#347 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:43

Originally posted by David Birchall


Michael, yes. I don't understand your confusion :confused:


David, I should have phrased it better, I just wanted to clarify that the car/chassis shown in the 1965 photo of the McKee Special is the one which went to John Maycock and was then replaced by a newly-built chassis constructed by Archie Hodges in Seattle. And presumably this is also the one that you were talking about trying to reunite with the present owner of 963, which seems a very worthy objective!

#348 David Birchall

David Birchall
  • Member

  • 3,004 posts
  • Joined: March 03

Posted 20 November 2006 - 16:42

Correct! :wave:

But the new owner of 963 doesn't seem very interested :(

Perhaps I should modify that, he hasn't acted on the information yet.

#349 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver
  • Member

  • 882 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:27

Originally posted by David Birchall
Correct! :wave:

But the new owner of 963 doesn't seem very interested :(

Perhaps I should modify that, he hasn't acted on the information yet.


That's a shame, for I think the idea of reuniting the original frame with the current owner is very laudable, if only to prevent at some point in the future, the emergence of another 19 built around the old chassis...

Perhaps your friend should consider rebuilding it as the McKee Special, as driven by Peter Lerch, using a Ford 289 and all the bits John Maycock took off it when he converted it back to a 19!!!

#350 bradbury west

bradbury west
  • Member

  • 4,586 posts
  • Joined: June 02

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:40

Originally posted by Michael Oliver


Perhaps your friend should consider rebuilding it as the McKee Special, as driven by Peter Lerch, using a Ford 289 and all the bits John Maycock took off it when he converted it back to a 19!!!


Off thread a bit,(but on the hobby horse again) but in spirit ok, I hope.

If only someone would do the same with all the original Alfa and Staniland commissioned bits which were left over after the Multi Union was restored back to a Tipo B Monoposto.

Roger Lund.