Photo

TNF members and their cars

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 14:54

With apologies to Don, my curiosity got the better of me.

I have:
49 MG TC - the car that "started it all" in America, perfect for driving down those 2 lane country roads in summer. It would be hard to find a better proportioned car, top down or up there are no bad lines.

50 Jaguar XK 120 ots - another one that "started it all" but with different lines, mine has skirts which really help. Just how did Sir William do it at the price?

55 MGA "Fastback" - found this one parked in an old BMC dealership, pushed in there in 1964 and not moved since I picked it up in 2001, a real time warp car. Got the trophies and equipment too. A complete untouched racing team from the 50s.

56 Bentley Continental dhc - the perfect car for driving to St. Tropez with Catherine Deneuve.

57 Porsche 356A sunroof coupe - the perfect vehicle for those quick jaunts through the Alps. Most Ferrari's would be hard pressed to keep up. Mine has some special factory competition equipment along with a hot rod of an engine. Previous owner (1959-1997) was Bill Weistoff who raced for Porsche in the 60s and who sold it new from his dealership.

58 MGA Twin Cam - I have owned this car since 1976. A perfect example of why the British car industry is a shadow of its former self.

62 MGA Deluxe - HRG head, Kent Cam, Carrillo rods, Weber's, etc., etc., an exercise in what to do if one has too much money and an inverse proportion of common sense. A cafe racer of a car with a factory cut down windscreen.

70 Maserati Ghibli - I was at the Monaco Historic races in 2002 and after about a half of a magnum of Dow 63 I was unable to move my arm, unfortunately it was in the raised position at the Coys auction when this car crossed the podium. 25,500 miles, a lovely car with more torque than can be imagined. I keep this one in Paris and last summer I drove it to the South, it was a great feeling pulling up to the HdP in this car. If I were better looking and had lots of money I could have been a wealthy playboy.

87 Audi Coupe GT - an item that makes the typical city beater look like a Pebble Beach winner. Kept outside in Chicago, winters and all; tired, cold, and stranded people have refused to accept a ride in this mobile death trap, Mike Argetsinger did not, which says more about his bravery than his state of mind.
I keep a hundred dollar bill taped to the windscreen in hopes that someone will steal it. Since I still have it I can only assume that the local car thieves have more self respect than I do.

Now if anyone has a BN2 Healey or a Bentley S2 Continental Mulliner Spur....

Cheers,

Ron

Advertisement

#2 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 14:57

:( Just a '92 Nissan Micra Phoenix 1.0L (K7 model).......

#3 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,603 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 14:57

I have a BMW and a pension :cry: :cry:

#4 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:02

1987 Renault 4 door. The US/AMC version. Not sure what the European designation was. For some reason quite a sensation when I go to club races in the Mid-West. Might be in the "wow, you drove from Northern Wisconsin to Indianapolis in that?" "yep, didnt even have to stop for gas"

1.4 litre, AUTOMATIC :rolleyes:

Even with junk tires and the snowfall we've had lately, I cant get it to do anything. In the summer it barely has enough power to not bog and die pulling away from the stop. Its the perfect training ground for today's overgripped and underpowered racing cars. If I ever get stopped for speeding I will fall to my knees in thanks.

#5 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:37

Just one 1998 Opel Tigra...

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:41

Mercedes Smart car and a 1969 Nike Formula Ford. Oh, plus a 1968 MGB GT that has been up for restoration these last ten years..............

#7 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:43

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Holger Merten
[B]The first post in this thread has the title: "My showdown at TNF!" Subtitel: "Who is the most sophisticated car collector at TNF." ;)

Nice one, Holger. Must admit my first reaction when I read the first post here was jealousy with a hint of a certain other emotion.

My own daily drive is a 1998 Rover 200 vi. I make no excuses. I happen to like it and even though I should have replaced it by now I still can't find anything to equal it. I get to drive a fair number of other cars and I never feel a twinge of regret when I have to get back in my own car. In fact, sometimes it's a relief.

#8 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

• 843 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:52

1996 Audi 80 Avant :smoking:

+ 1993 Honda Civic Hatchback

#9 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 15:55

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld
1987 Renault 4 door. The US/AMC version. Not sure what the European designation was.

One of these, Ross? http://members.fortu...Images/r9-1.jpg If so, it's a Renault 9 -or there was a hatchback version the 11 (but that would be 5 doors, so ignore that!)

I just have a 2000 Vauxhall (Opel) Corsa 1.4 - but it is the Sport model (wow!!!!) - which sadly mean no better handling or fun-to-drive-ness. I intend to change it shortly, but probably not for anything any less practical or mundane.

But if I win the Lottery on Saturday, I'll be down the Porsche showroom on Sunday. Then I will start collecting some classics! If I win the Lottery....

#10 BRNDLL

BRNDLL

• 265 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:04

Ron-

I have an 86 Audi Coupe GT... I bet my beater is worse than your beater. ;]

bb

#11 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:04

Holger and Ian - with all respect - you have read this one wrong. The gentleman concerned is, in real life, totally unpretentious and a thoughtful and always entertaining individual. I would suspect that the origin of the post was purely a case of enthusiasm and genuine curiosity for the interests of fellow members. After all, we often share lists of books and projects, etc. Really, you must believe that this was offered in the same spirit.

#12 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:06

Yep, thats her. Its a shade pretty close to British Racing Green, with a nice butterscotch-esque interior and a set of Michelins. If I drop acid and squint on a cloudy day, it looks like a Bentley XP8

#13 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:14

Two Audi Coupé GTs on TNF and both in scrapyard condition. You should be ashamed of yourself. :mad: THIS is what a good Coupé looks like:

Posted Image

Approaching 400.000 km on the odometer now, still on its first engine and still capable of 125 mph. And yes, it's mine.

BTW: still looking for a good, original leather interior and digital dashboard. Do your cars have one? If yes, we might be able to make a deal :-)

#14 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:16

Originally posted by Mike Argetsinger
Holger and Ian - with all respect - you have read this one wrong. The gentleman concerned is, in real life, totally unpretentious and a thoughtful and always entertaining individual. I would suspect that the origin of the post was purely a case of enthusiasm and genuine curiosity for the interests of fellow members. After all, we often share lists of books and projects, etc. Really, you must believe that this was offered in the same spirit.

In that case, I apologise, although no serious harm was intended. But I am still jealous, because ther were some lovely cars there, and I wish some of them were mine.

#15 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,512 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:17

I have a Renault 19......bit of a step down from my BMW but at least i can afford to feed the kids now!

#16 Lagonda

Lagonda

• 253 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:28

:blush: E Reg Austin Metro. :blush: (Called Madge!)

She's my first car and even though she's a bit ropey and has a gear box like a walking stick in a bucket of marbles, Missing wheel trim and ,well, knackered everything really. She's my girl!

When I come to replace her I'd love a Mini derivative of some kind.. Hillman Imp, Riley Elf etc. But back in the real world I'd probably have to get a nice "sensible" car.. Probably a Polo or something :

#17 ianm1808

ianm1808

• 100 posts

A 1987 Lotus Excel SE

It has caused me more heartbreak , empty wallets , arguments and hassle than the ex-girlfriend with which it replaced ever did. But like the ex-girlfriend the good times far outweigh the bad and I wouldn't swap the experience for anything.

#18 IanDalziel

IanDalziel

• 58 posts

1986 Citroën 2CV6 Bamboo
1983 Citroën GSA Pallas
1982 Citroën GSA Pallas SE
1982 Citroën Visa II Super E
1973 Citroën SM EFI
1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia

At least there's a half Maserati in there...

Ian

#19 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:32

Yes the SM is a nice car, but does it run?

Advertisement

#20 IanDalziel

IanDalziel

• 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:40

Originally posted by Holger Merten
Yes the SM is a nice car, but does it run?

Certainly does. None of them is going to win any concours ribbons, but they're all driveable.

#21 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:49

BTW: They have also a nice history background, as well as the wankel-adventures of Citroen in the late 60s/early 70s.

#22 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:53

Oh, love the SM... saw a couple at the Essen Classic Show last year. Wonderful car, especially the convertibles.

#23 peebo

peebo

• 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:07

2003 Audi S4 V8

2002 Audi A2 1.4

they both make me smile, though for different reasons. :wave:

#24 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:09

SM and convertible? :confused: Ahh you mean the DS. Who opened the SM? Heuliez?. There was a version with long wheelbase, if I remember correct, for national representive affairs. Buit by Heuliez as a open version. Do you mean them?

#25 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:09

RON

Tell us a bit more about the MGA fastback

..........and the 1949 MG TC - I had one when I was 17 in 1967 and sold it reluctantly to a USAF chap who was based in Scotland and was going to take it to the US in 1969

#26 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:12

Originally posted by peebo
2003 Audi S4 V8

2002 Audi A2 1.4

they both make me smile, though for different reasons. :wave:

124 more HP than I have with my A4 and my A2, if you have a look in post 5 of this thread. But I have my Audi 100 Coupé S with 112 hp. :wave: So things come closer. The Landi doesn't count. It's from outer space. :smoking:

#27 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

1967 MGB GT Grampian Grey O/D - Hasn't been on the street since 1992; spent 200,000 of its quarter-million miles in the hands of other family members, one of whom used it to haul all but the lumber components of an original construction garage project. Another user followed the SCCA amateur circuit for a year, to every race west of the Rockies. I ran it in a time trial on Riverside International Raceway when it had fewer than 400 miles on the clock, and raced it in the rain at Playas de Tijuana a few months later.

1985 Honda Civic LX automatic - When it flipped its drive belt and bent the valves, a Honda-racer friend of my daughter's put a big-valve flowed head on it. That reduced MPG by 10% (to 30) and meant a little jiggling before each bi-annual smog check, but it really scoots when you punch it.

1989 Toyota Xtra Cab Pickup automatic with steel Gem Top shell - Very appropriately, paint color is "Appliance White" or as near as matters. Ordinary maintenance, ordinary performance. Once drove 270 miles from Tombstone, Arizona in just under three hours and just over 19MPG.
Posted Image

Something about other cars I have owned.

In recent years I have a new attitude about automatic transmissions: I do not understand how one can choose to live with manual shift in a city like Los Angeles, where commuters actually know beforehand they will spend an hour or more at 0 to 10 to 0 to 20 to 0 to 10 to 0 to 30 to 10 to 0 to 10MPH etc, etc, twice a day, five days a week. Really.

Frank S

#28 IanDalziel

IanDalziel

• 58 posts

SM and convertible? :confused: Ahh you mean the DS. Who opened the SM? Heuliez?. There was a version with long wheelbase, if I remember correct, for national representive affairs. Buit by Heuliez as a open version. Do you mean them?

Chapron, surely?

#29 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,951 posts

More to the point, Ron, do you have any single daughters that are on the will list? :love:

I have a Merc E280, nearly paid for, 1995 vintage. I call it MVP cos that's on its number plate. Seems to have significance in the States. ;)

#30 peebo

peebo

• 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:21

The Landi doesn't count. It's from outer space.

Holger, wouldnt dare take on a man with a Land Rover. Far too cool for me. :smoking: :up:

#31 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:24

As Citroën and Renault have been mentioned, it's time for a Peugeot - a 206RC... the cause of my first speeding ticket in 30 years...

#32 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:38

Where's var1016? He's got three Lancia Flavias - he was telling me about them in the TNF meet in Laleham last week.

#33 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:41

humbly submitted for your consideration;

bugatti t-35b [4948]

'58 porsche coupe [1600 normal]

beck 550 spyder [1800cc t-1 pushrod]

'28 austin 7 special ***

'00 honda s2000 [mid-life crisis car]

'69 abarth 1300 scorpione

59 lotus elite sII ***

23 T ford dirt car [single seat-open wheel]

'02 audi a6 avant quattro [wifes car]

'94 honda accord ex [dress-down town car]

'91 honda accord wagon [300k miles... greasy parts hauler]

*** designates not running at present]

in the crosshairs; '65 275 GTS[ just waiting...original owner promises to sell it to me at some point]....year unknown kougar jag [i really don't know why i want this but it's so neat...] :blush:

#34 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 18:01

Audi A6 2.5 TDI
VW Polo for my wife's use
Citroen BX Sport 220000 km a still the same engine
and I think still the owner of a 1973 280 CE Mercedes

#35 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 18:11

She Who Must Be Obeyed drives a white 2002 Honda CRV EX.

Boy-san has a green 1998 Honda Civic EX with an automatic. Bought used after Boy-san wanted to see if the airbags really worked when you slam into a Volvo with a silver 1995 Honda Odyssey EX. Fortunately they did. However, fini Odyssey -- perhaps the absolute Best vehicle I have had in many, many years. So, since Boy-san need relaible transportation at university, Dad get as a Hand-me-back....

....a white 1993 Honda Accord EX with a manual transmission with the VA license plate "NIVOLA." Just the trick for DC traffic.... :( ....although I really do like the car which was mine before it went to SWMBO to spare to Boy-san and now back to me.... It is a dead reliable car and has scarcely given us a moment of bother, ditto for Boy-san's Civic. We maintain them with the usual military mindset -- even Boy-san! -- and they just go and go and go.

Baby Daughter menaces society with a white 2000 Dodge Neon. If you live in the Charlotte, NC area, you are hereby warned. Only BD could get a 1980 Toyota Tercel with about 280,000 miles on it up to the 95+ mph mark -- "I was late for class...." -- and manage to get ticketed for only 10-over the limit (which was 55 back then).

#36 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 18:32

Nononono, there are a few true SM cabrios in the world. There's at least one of them in the Netherlands, I've seen it once. And they had one on display in Essen, but I haven't got a picture :-( Try googling on 'citroen sm cabrio'.

#37 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 18:50

Got it Brun. But I don't like them. You can't make a fine cabriolet of every nice Coupé. Try to open your Audi!?

#38 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 18:53

dbw

Tell me about the Bugatti the Austin and the Elite ?

#39 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:04

A humble BMW 320D touring automatic, but at least an interesting color: "Lightgelb metallic" which is german for err... bronze. It isn't even mine but a company car.

Advertisement

#40 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:09

Originally posted by Ron Scoma
87 Audi Coupe GT - an item that makes the typical city beater look like a Pebble Beach winner. Kept outside in Chicago, winters and all; tired, cold, and stranded people have refused to accept a ride in this mobile death trap, Mike Argetsinger did not, which says more about his bravery than his state of mind.
I keep a hundred dollar bill taped to the windscreen in hopes that someone will steal it. Since I still have it I can only assume that the local car thieves have more self respect than I do.

When those lines crossed my eyes I suspected that a certain TNF member would spare no time before GRAVELY objecting to them. He was quicker than I thought... :lol:

Meanwhile, there is nothing special or even vaguely future-classic in my mildly tuned and tickled '03 Skoda Octavia 4x4 turbo. It has (almost) all I want and expect from a road car though, and at an excellent performance/cost ratio. Bang for bucks, as they say - I'll save my emotions for racing cars.

#41 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:10

Originally posted by IanDalziel
1986 Citroën 2CV6 Bamboo
1983 Citroën GSA Pallas
1982 Citroën GSA Pallas SE
1982 Citroën Visa II Super E
1973 Citroën SM EFI
1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia

At least there's a half Maserati in there...

Ian

Mike Hailwood had an SM. I remember seeing it in the paddock at Silverstone paddock in the 70s. A headlight fairing was smashed, and a dead bird rested within.

My new Skoda arrives tomorrow... :

Ian...see you at the next Northern TNF gathering?

#42 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:15

'91 BMW 750 V12.
Difficult to drive now with all the speed traps in France.

#43 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:17

1970 Porsche 914/6.......Original except for repaint and 2.7.
1969 Lotus Elan S4 dhc...Weber head.
1972 Porsche 911S...just sold
Many other Porsches owned in the past including two 2.7RSs (one converted to RSR by Ruf)

Thinking of buying....Alpine Renault A110 (All comments and advice appreciated!!)

Daily....2003 Range Rover series 3; 2002 Audi A6 for my wife; 1989 Range Rover member of the family that I can't bear to part with.

Jack

#44 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:22

Originally posted by BRG
Where's var1016? He's got three Lancia Flavias - he was telling me about them in the TNF meet in Laleham last week.

Here I am!

Yes three Lancia Fulvias: two standard sedans (both 1971) and a very modified coupe, in miniature in the avatar. This has Lucas mechanical fuel-injection and quite a few other ahem, modifications.

PdeRL

#45 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:23

Originally posted by David Beard
My new Skoda arrives tomorrow... :

Two Skodas in the space of two posts! :eek:

Any special reason for yours, David?

#46 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:25

Originally posted by Jack-the-Lad
1970 Porsche 914/6.......Original except for repaint and 2.7.
1969 Lotus Elan S4 dhc...Weber head.
1972 Porsche 911S...just sold
Many other Porsches owned in the past including two 2.7RSs (one converted to RSR by Ruf)

Thinking of buying....Alpine Renault A110 (All comments and advice appreciated!!)

Daily....2003 Range Rover series 3; 2002 Audi A6 for my wife; 1989 Range Rover member of the family that I can't bear to part with.

You lucky man, what an exciting garage of cars! The Ruf Porsche... makes me think of those classic banzai laps of the 'Ring shot with an in-car camera. :eek: :cool:

#47 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:36

Originally posted by Racer.Demon

Two Skodas in the space of two posts! :eek:

Any special reason for yours, David?

Oh yes :)

I have just found myself in the position to claim a company car, within a set budget. Most of my colleagues have VW Passats. I can get a Skoda Superb Comfort with many more bells and whistles within the budget, and get to joke about the daft name and enjoy some inverted snobbery.

#48 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,722 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 19:46

I know exactly what you mean, David. Set budgets are definitely Skoda territory...

Enjoy the rear legroom! ;)

I found that there is something inexplicably funny and soothing about driving a Skoda - the inverted snobbery is absolutely priceless to enjoy. :lol:

More gloating Skoda-philes here...

#49 Brun

Brun

• 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 20:14

Got it Brun. But I don't like them. You can't make a fine cabriolet of every nice Coupé. Try to open your Audi!?

You're right, they're... special. And rare. But not that beautiful.

#50 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 20:33

Originally posted by RTH
dbw

Tell me about the Bugatti the Austin and the Elite ?

May I help with the Bugatti?

Posted Image

Several more views accessible H E R E

Frank S