TNF members and their cars

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#101 anjakub

anjakub

• 606 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 09:39

Originally posted by Wolf
Mattijs- FIAT might be respectable marque- but the model?!?

Twelve years ago I had this car (Fiat 126p).

Advertisement

#102 Lifeline

Lifeline

• 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 16:20

1999 LDV Cub Van used for work and towing the race car
1966 Triumph TR4A Live axle fantastic for touring europe
1986 Ralt RT30 VW F3 car used for sprints and hill climbs
1986 Ralt RT30 VW in need of restoration and assembly (Waiting for it to become historic so I can use it in the classic french F3 series)
1/2 share in 3 x A35s (trying to build one good one for Top Hat series and hopefully Goodwood 2005)
Have been trying to find a car built by Dallara in the early 70s called a Gypsy Dino. Beautiful open top group 6 sports car. Was sold by Coys twice about 5 years ago have tried to track it down but with no success. Anyone know anything about it :confused:

#103 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 17:27

David. My car was the handling and tyre test car,It was also on the Geneva show stand.It has all sorts of suspension and brake tweeks not found on the productions cars (even the latest version) Its got its own little day book with listing all its trips and mods etc.

#104 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 18:04

Originally posted by Ted Walker
David. My car was the handling and tyre test car,It was also on the Geneva show stand.It has all sorts of suspension and brake tweeks not found on the productions cars (even the latest version) Its got its own little day book with listing all its trips and mods etc.

There aren't too many ordinary ones so yours is very rare, eh? You have a collectors item :)

#105 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 19:22

Seems to be a disproportionate number of VAG products here, Audi in particular. I'll add to it: Audi A4 for me, VW Passat Estate for SWMBO.

Favourite toy, however, is ex-works Sunbeam Alpine, raced at Le Mans in 1962 by Paddy Hopkirk and Peter Jopp. In fairly original (though substantially rebuilt) condition, now used on roads and (very occasional) track days only. Even among the sub-set of competition vehicles listed on this thread, very inferior to a lot of the others, but it gives me a lot of fun.

#106 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 20:10

Originally posted by soubriquet

Currently looking for a Fulvia HF

Very wise, very wise indeed!

PdeRL

#107 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 20:18

Originally posted by jph
Seems to be a disproportionate number of VAG products here, Audi in particular. I'll add to it: Audi A4 for me, VW Passat Estate for SWMBO.

So, why? It's hard to find any RWD (i.e. sporty) car in the whole of VAG's line-up...

#108 Kaha

Kaha

• 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 22:50

Originally posted by VAR1016

Currently looking for a Fulvia HF

PdeRL

So am I! :clap:

I have my eyes on a very sad but restorable 1,3 HF.

There is only the small obstacles of: Time, money and space :
I have more or less sorted the two last out so we'll se what happens.

Currently my cars are:
Lancia Flaminia Touring convertible 3C 2,8 -64
Lancia Thema V6 -91

BTW1:
PdeRL, are your Fulvia Berlinas in usable condition?
I have found the Berlinas to be nearly as fun to drive as the Coupés, but oh soooo much more fun when chasing modern hot hatches down twisty roads :rotfl:

BTW2:
Congratulations on your new job PdeRL!
I'll guess you have more time and facilities to poke around with that mad Coupé of yours.

#109 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,162 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 01:12

1.0 litre VW Polo. Blindingly fast downhill just outside Abbeville in Normandy a couple of years ago , due to having a couple of 13 stone FAT mates in the back( 105mph on the clock & severe valve bounce ). Not too good going up the following hill it has to be said (Took about 30 minutes to go 20 yards until I told the fat lads to get out & push !! )

#110 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 709 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 03:43

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
:eek:

Errrhhhh Andrew, are you the fellow(es) with the Historic Datto? Does the Disco tow the Datto :rolleyes:

No, but it does tow a Group Q historic car, -I wish it would turn into an F250 but at A$75,000.........its going to need an accomplished Fairy Godmother to pull that one off.

Andrew :

#111 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,886 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:03

Originally posted by Andrew Fellowes
No, but it does tow a Group Q historic car, -I wish it would turn into an F250 but at A$75,000.........its going to need an accomplished Fairy Godmother to pull that one off.

Andrew :

Hmmmm, might see you at a track down this way some time. A disco with a V8 should be a reasonable towmaster I would have thought...... :up:

Andrew.....apologies, I would have been waving various coloured flags at you in the 36 at EC last September (didn't you see me ??? well did you at least see the flags!!! :D )

#112 ray b

ray b

• 2,563 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 06:43

currently 3 88 fieros, swaping in a northstar 4.6 dohc v8 [300hp] in to one of them
a volvo 245 turbo stick
wife has a 240 auto

some of my passed rides
1/2 doz corvairs 65-66
vw van
68 gto 455[swap]
1800ti
914-4
73 olds vista [ last real vista]
70 buick sportwagon [vista with a GS motor 340hp stock]

#113 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:36

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaha

PdeRL
[/QUOTE]

So am I! :clap:

I have my eyes on a very sad but restorable 1,3 HF.

There is only the small obstacles of: Time, money and space :
I have more or less sorted the two last out so we'll se what happens.

Currently my cars are:
Lancia Flaminia Touring convertible 3C 2,8 -64
Lancia Thema V6 -91

BTW1:
PdeRL, are your Fulvia Berlinas in usable condition?
I have found the Berlinas to be nearly as fun to drive as the Coupés, but oh soooo much more fun when chasing modern hot hatches down twisty roads :rotfl:

BTW2:
Congratulations on your new job PdeRL!
I'll guess you have more time and facilities to poke around with that mad Coupé of yours.
[/QUOTE]

Well only 880 1.3HFs were made - they are lovely: all the Series 1 delicacy with more than average poke - a splendid combination.

Yes both the Berlinas are goers; one I bought, the other was a gift. It's annoying but each has good features - I jut wish that they were in the one car! Perhaps one day they will be. You are right about their handling - in particular the turn-in is very good - always surprises others!

As for more time.... Actually the coupe is in pieces at present. The engine has been rebuilt with new camshafts and very big valves and I am expecting more horsepower. There is a 1600 Zagato gearbox, a new dash and I am respraying the car Amaranto Montebello a la 1300HF.

All has to be ready by the end of March in time for Goodwood Eeek!

PdeRL

#114 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 10:38

Thank'ee kind sor. Fulvias are a touch on the rare side in Japan, but I'll find a nice one.

It should stand out amongst the Mitsubishi Canter Guts and the Toyota Farrago Enema Grande Fromage .

OK, I made one of those up, but I have a list. And one day, I'm going to publish it. Be warned.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Publish NOW - I insist!!

PdeRL

#115 byrkus

byrkus

• 797 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 15:50

Posted Image

1989 Citroën BX 16 TRS

Not exactly a classic... But who knows, some day maybe... :stoned:

#116 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 17:52

Current cars: 2001 Audi A-6, 2.7 turbo, 6- speed (Family car) ; 1957 Austin- Healey 100/6 (slow, but feels fast) ; 2002 VW gti (Getto cruiser )

#117 schuy

schuy

• 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 18:06

Originally posted by ensign14
I find it odd Pascal has not posted.

It's called denial :lol:

#118 schuy

schuy

• 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 18:09

Originally posted by 2F-001
Caterham 7.

(And a base-model Polo.)

Tell us about your Seven!

#119 schuy

schuy

• 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 18:09

Originally posted by Racer.Demon
But you must be Japanese-sized to fit into it...

:lol: :lol: So true!

Advertisement

#120 MCH

MCH

• 339 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 19:40

Originally posted by byrkus
Posted Image

1989 Citroën BX 16 TRS

Not exactly a classic... But who knows, some day maybe... :stoned:

Well, it was designed by a guy named Marcello Gandini... :)

#121 Vincenzo Lancia

Vincenzo Lancia

• 131 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 00:33

Ahh - the man who did not design the Miura... :)

#122 byrkus

byrkus

• 797 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 13:10

Originally posted by MCH

Well, it was designed by a guy named Marcello Gandini... :)

REALLY????! :eek: :eek: :eek: It's the first time I hear that!

He he... Now THAT should keep those bl**dy mouths shut... :smoking: :smoking: :lol:

#123 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 18:06

Originally posted by jph

Favourite toy, however, is ex-works Sunbeam Alpine,

Knowing what the "H" in JPH stands for, do you have a particular interest in the Harrington Alpine?

#124 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,275 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:34

Originally posted by Vincenzo Lancia
Ahh - the man who did not design the Miura... :)

I thought Gandini (or someone under his tutelage) style the curvy bits on the outside, while Dallara actually designed the car... No? :confused:

#125 Viss1

Viss1

• 9,414 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 14:09

Originally posted by ray b
currently 3 88 fieros, swaping in a northstar 4.6 dohc v8 [300hp] in to one of them

Now that I'd like to see - do you have any pics?

My driver is a '98 Ford Contour SVT, AKA the American version of the Mondeo ST24/ST200. Currently has 90,000 miles and is dead reliable (thanks probably to my fanatical maintenance). My goal is to get up to 100,000 miles before we do our next track day in May.

I've kept an eye out for new cars that are more fun to drive, but so far nothing below $35,000 has really got me going. So I've so far been able to keep my new car desires in check by putting a kick-arse stereo into the Contour, making some custom interior pieces, etc.

Fiancee recently bought an '03 VW GTI 1.8T. She bought the car just before she quit her job as a VW salesperson, so she got a ridiculously good deal on it. My name's on the title, plus I get to maintain it, so I guess it's "mine." :lol: Not a bad car for the money. It currently has 3000 miles, and surprisingly no electrical issues yet :lol:

I also own an '82 Honda CX500 motorcycle. This was one of Honda's weirder designs - a water-cooled, transverse-mounted, pushrod, 4-valve-per-cylinder V-Twin.* Despite this questionable architecture, it spins to 10,000RPM and has a nice, wide powerband. I bought the bike from a friend for next to nothing, and spent a summer repainting the tank and side panels, replacing the handlebar with a cafe version, and adding a cafe fairing. It now looks failry sporty and is relatively fun to ride. Plus I kept the original huge seat on it, so we can comfortably ride tandem when we want. But it doesn't quite have the comfort or wind protection necessary for long trips; plus my riding ability is catching up to the bike's limitations, so a new mount might be in order soon.

So at the very least I can say none of my vehicles owe me anything :up:

* How can you have 4 valves per cylinder and pushrods at the same time? By using forked rocker arms, each one operating two valves. :drunk:

#126 Vincenzo Lancia

Vincenzo Lancia

• 131 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 14:38

Originally posted by 2F-001

I thought Gandini (or someone under his tutelage) style the curvy bits on the outside, while Dallara actually designed the car... No? :confused:

According to Giugiario who left Bertone in november 65, five month before the appearence of the Miura, the design is based on drawings he left behind when moving on to Ghia. These drawings including impressionistic threequarter front and rear sketches as well as detailed drafting drawings of front and rear profile actually dates back to late 64.

"When I left Bertone I did'nt have a chance to follow the building of the car, but the originals of these drawings stayed behind"
"Gandini took my sketches and finished the car - 70 per cent of the design is mine. Not even Nuccio Bertone knows all of this. When I replaced Scaglione I worked on my own, often at home and at weekends. One day I should have shown them, but it would hurt Bertone."

As to why Giugiario has'nt been more open about this - he states:

"What is really important about this, is not who did the design, but that the car was build."

Admirable attitude I think...

(These quotes and info is from Classic and Sportscar" december 1996. )

:wave:

#127 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 15:00

Originally posted by David Beard:

Knowing what the "H" in JPH stands for, do you have a particular interest in the Harrington Alpine?

Yes, David, there is a connection. Thomas Harrington Limited was a coachbuilding company, founded by my great-grandfather in 1897. The main activity was building coaches and other commercial vehicles but, in 1961, they developed the Harrington Alpine. This was a fastback version of the Sunbeam Alpine which evolved through various different body styles until 1964 when it (and the rest of Harrington’s coachbuilding activities) ceased production. A Rootes-entered Harrington Alpine won the Index of Thermal Efficiency at Le Mans in 1961, much to Rootes’ surprise and French annoyance.

Rootes returned in 1962 with three Alpines with less radical bodywork modifications – basically, aluminium Kamm-style tails, which were built by Harringtons. My own car is one of these which, after the Le Mans race (from which it retired) was sold to Alan Fraser who ran it in the Goodwood Tourist Trophy and then in various club races over the next couple of years. What happened to it thereafter, until it reappeard in the mid-1980s I know not.

#128 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 15:17

Originally posted by jph
Seems to be a disproportionate number of VAG products here, Audi in particular. I'll add to it: Audi A4 for me, (...)

Perhaps all TNF Members, who own an Audi are proud enough to post their Audis here. I counted 14 Audis, but only seven BMWs, and two MBs (one of them is a van).

#129 mach3

mach3

• 485 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 15:21

I must also add to the VAG list. I drive a Jetta VR6 during the week and on weekends I tow my Radical SR3 Supersport with a Dodge Ram 2500.

#130 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 15:22

Originally posted by Holger Merten

... and two MBs (one of them is a van).

Ha! there are more Fulvias!! :p

PdeRL

#131 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 15:26

Wonderful, more Fulvias than MB vans. The real nostalgie forum. We must add a special oldie ranking here. (but I think we couldn't count so much "older" Audis than, let's say more than 15 years old.

I counted three: My Audi 100 Coupé (1974), Bruns Audi GT (1987) and another 1986 Audi GT.

#132 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 21:16

Originally posted by jph

My own car is one of these which, after the Le Mans race (from which it retired) was sold to Alan Fraser who ran it in the Goodwood Tourist Trophy and then in various club races over the next couple of years. What happened to it thereafter, until it reappeard in the mid-1980s I know not.

Interesting stuff! Perhaps the power of TNF can fill in the history....?

#133 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,636 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 21:22

Well I've semi-recently said goodbye to the second of two 260Zs I've owned and damaged.

The most recent one was a candy apple red 1972 Datsun 260Z Sports that got centre punched on the drivers side by a Toyota Crown hard enough the crack the A Pillar and bend the floor. That hurt a bit, but thankfully uninjured. I was building it up as an entry level competition car with suspension and exhaust rebuilt, but........

Previously a yellow with black detailing 1976 Datsun 260Z 2+2 with nice mags, good paint, restored seats, 5 speed 280ZX box and incredibly dodgy electrics. I got propped on, or braked to late with no avoidance options, choose the explanation you prefer.

About to shell out on a 1994 Ford Falcon ED, should nbe quite a transition.

There was a KE70 Corolla at some point but thats hardly worth mentioning.

Do Corollas even count?

#134 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 22:43

Originally posted by Falcadore

I got propped on, or braked to late with no avoidance options, choose the explanation you prefer.

Maybe "driving too close to the car in front"...? ;)

Tch, tch, damaging classic Datsuns.

My only car since 1987 has been a 1971 Datsun 1600 rally car. But I let the registration lapse last April, when the man who checked it each year finally baulked at the "illegal" roll cage and the increasing rust areas (though still not really serious). I will have to take it by trailer to motorkhana/khanacross events in future - except I don't have a trailer or a tow car.

I have been a hitch-hiker since then, paying half the running costs of Loretta's 1992 Toyota Camry in return for lifts - and being able to borrow it when I REALLY need a car.

My next car will probably be a new Honda Jazz (Fit) 1.3 litre manual, which I believe will carry more books per litre of petrol on 600 km round trips from their present home to their new home (when it finally is built) than anything else I can think of.

#135 Mike Argetsinger

Mike Argetsinger

• 948 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 23:53

Originally posted by WDH74
Unless I missed it, I'm the only one who owns a Miata. So either I have incredibly refined taste, or I'm the only one willing to admit it......

-William

I'm willing to admit the same. "The MG without tears." Mine is a '92 that never turned a wheel on the street until '96. I bought it as a race car and did thirty plus SCCA Nationals in it including the last Run-offs at Road Atlanta ('93) and the first year it was at Mid-Ohio ('94). At that Mid-Ohio race I wrecked it pretty comprehensively but it was (to my amazement) rebuilt, only to get upside down the following May at Blackhawk Farms. After that one my crew-chief, Ted Seil, said that, while it would never be a race car again he could, if I had patience, turn it in to a nice little street car for me. At the time he was head of the Research facility at Mazda Great Lakes in Grand Rapids. Whenever he found a useable bit off one of the cars they were crash testing, he would put it on my car. Afther eight months or so he called me and asked what color I wanted. It had been blue as a race car but I requested British Racing Green (if you're going retro you may as well. . . ) and the paint shop did a beautiful job. It is a perfect city car and I just can't part with it.

My wife's every day car is a Mazda Tribute which is great in the Chicago ice and snow. With apologies to Sammy Sosa et. al. I must say that "...Mazda has been 'berry, 'berry good to me!" I've had several RX-7's and other cars from them - but this Miata has a special place in my heart.

Back east I have a 1946 Willys Jeep and a 1953 Packard 7-passenger. My grandfather bought the Jeep new in 1946 and it is pretty much perfect. I bought the Packard just after I got out of the Army in 1964 and drove it while I was in college. It has been stored now for quite some time but is very restorable - and I aim to do it! rdrcr has been very encouraging in this regard.

Just to show you how devoted I am to that Miata - my wife has for some time wanted to treat me to an Audi TT Roadster. But it would mean giving up the Miata, as we only have a 2-car garage and in downtown Chicago keeping a car on the street is just not an option. While I like the Audi I just can't bring myself to part with the Miata.

#136 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,128 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 00:11

Heh....Miatas do seem to inspire that sort of devotion. I bought mine used (a '96 that had been traded in on a then new 10AE) five years ago and have recently considered replacing it with something newer, but if I'm gonna make payments on a newer car it'd have to be something I like. In my price range the only things that I'd really want to drive around in every day would be used Miatas.....
-William

#137 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 00:35

I didn't think I would ever mention at TNF that I used to own a Citroen BX , but I since I took some photos of it against a very appropriate backdrop.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

#138 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 08:26

In that case, here's my former trusty Subaru Legacy with some more appropriate backdrops... :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

And here you can see my former Honda Civic in the pitlane exit at La Source, in a picture taken on the eve of the millennium:

Posted Image

The Skoda's not been photographed in a motorsport-related environment yet, but that will hopefully change soon, with visits to the Grenzlandring and Chimay.

#139 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:22

Posted Image

Oh, what a sad piece of contemporary history. :cry:

And I don't mean the Honda.

Advertisement

#140 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:29

Better stick to Audis, Holger. That's a Subaru... :lol:

#141 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 09:56

Better stick to Audis, Holger. That's a Subaru... :lol:

Although I visted Asia for many times, I never had a closer look at their cars. Subaru, Honda, Nissan? It's all the same to me. :o

But the Honda looks a little bit like a copy from the Audi Design department. A design from 1994, the former A4! Do you agree?

#142 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:03

Too fiddly for an Audi, although the car's design indeed dates from the mid-nineties.

It looks more like a Rover 400 to me... Maybe because it really is! ;)

(And yes, all Asian cars have that same naff look about them. Never bought one because of their pretty looks!)

#143 green-blood

green-blood

• 706 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:13

1966 Morris Mini 850 superdelux

Posted Image

I love this little car, its bog standard bar the wheels and tyres (4 inch crossplies on Irish tarmac is not a good idea) Its has hydrolastic suspension so rides like a magic carpet, it loves speed humps/sleeping policemen, but because of the tiny wheel in each corner wheelbase it handles the twisties fantastically - thank God once you get some speed up you need to maintain that pace.

Daily driver is a 3 year old Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia, all the comfy extras. The crazy Irish insurance market limits what I can do engine wise because I'm still under 30.

#144 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:21

Still carrying some vivid memories to that Subaru... the car park at the Festival of Speed 2002 for example, with a layer of mud so thick that every second car got stuck and had to be towed out by tractors. All that while Mattijs kept cruising along the endless line of stuck cars, making angry gestures at people to get 4WD and stop blocking the road :rotfl:

And there's a certain street light near Amsterdam that still hasn't recovered from the sight of a Subaru four-wheel-drifting through a corner :rolleyes: :smoking:

#145 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:48

:rotfl:

I wish I could say that was a controlled four-wheel drift... Still, the lamp post got off worse!

#146 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:59

Anything against quattro? :confused:

I was skiing last sunday. And who do you think got the nice parking place near the lift? The place could only reached with a fine four wheel drive.

BTW: One of two Audis in switzerland are quattros. And every fourth Audi is a S-Model.

#147 Lipp

Lipp

• 393 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 11:51

I just recently sold my '77 Honda Accord Sedan 1.6 5-speed, which I bought from my great-aunt (who is now 88 years old) for a fingerplant... I just bought a '92 Honda Civic sedan to replace it.
I also have a very nice dark green '76 Saab 96 (which is for sale)
But I drive a company car a VW Passat Tiptronic TDi... which is a boring car to look at but drives really nice and fuel efficient (to work I do 5.4 litres to 100 km) and the automatic 5 speed gear is really great (would not have anything else)

#148 Brun

Brun

• 510 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 13:06

I was skiing last sunday. And who do you think got the nice parking place near the lift? The place could only reached with a fine four wheel drive.

BTW: One of two Audis in switzerland are quattros. And every fourth Audi is a S-Model.

The problem with quattros is that you'll get stuck in places where even a tractor can't reach you :lol:

I've always been a quattro-nut, but I've also become quite impressed with the Subaru AWD system. Mattijs once drove out of a ditch with one wheel hanging free in the air. Not even a hint of wheelspin!

#149 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,705 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 13:14

No, I'm not going to tell you how I ended up in that ditch in the first place... :lol:

Holger: quattro is better but also a lot more expensive. Bang for bucks, as they say.

#150 benrapp

benrapp

• 1,559 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 13:15

The trouble with Audis is that you always seem to end up buying the fastest one. So, despite winter wheels and tyres, I managed to get the RS6 pretty comprehensively stuck trying to park conveniently close to the ski-lift last month. Quattro is no help when none of the wheels are touching the ground! The car's so low it beached itself in six inches of snow -- we had to use skis to dig out the compacted snow from underneath. Took half an hour, and was more exhausting than a day's skiing. Shoulda bought an allroad...