Photo

Bernd Rosemeyer 10/14/09 - 1/28/1938

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 16:55

"In the woods just beyond the Langen-Morfelden crossing, stands a pillar as a monument of the fateful event that took place here a long time ago." 8W

http://8w.forix.com/rosemeyer.html

Advertisement

#2 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:00

Yes, every time I'm travelling around Frankfurt, I cut a few minutes to buy flowers in Langen and place them at that granite pillar. It's usually in Summertime.
I do hope that someone else did it, today.

#3 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:09

Know this quite well, visited it various times. It somebody travels by car on the A5 from Frankfurt southwards, it's the first parking area after passing Rhein-Main-Airport, at km 508. It's at the far end of that area, where acceleration lane starts again. Walk over the grass strip, and then about 10-15 meters into the wood.

Posted Image

#4 brooksesser

brooksesser

• 30 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:36

I, too have visited. I've heard that the monument stands where they found Rosemeyer.

If you do visit, imagine driving ANY type of car on that road at 225+ mph - it is not the straightest section of tarmac in the world, to be sure!

BTW - last I heard, Elly Beinhorn Rosemeyer was still alive, living in a nursing home near Munich. I believe that she is in her mid-90's.

- Brooks

#5 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 17:45

Yes, Elly is still alive I believe...here's an incredibly rare interview by Aldo Zana:

http://www.kolumbus....ellman/elly.htm

#6 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 20:14

To me, Bernd Rosemeyer had the most talent of anyone who's ever raced an automobile. If I'm not mistaken, the time he set in taking pole for the '37 AVUSRENNEN - at 171.75 mph - is the fastest average speed ever around a race course. Hermann Lang set the fastest lap, if I'm correct, in that race at a slightly slower 171.63 mph while Jackie Ickx averaged 163.674 mph to take pole for the '73 Spa 1000K. I believe that they are the top three individuals in that regard.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 20:32

Essentially, Bernd Rosemeyer is the only non-Mercedes-Benz driver brought to life and shown in a good light in Neubauer's book...

And while the book might be able to be maligned and inaccurate, it does give an insight to the personalities and activities of the time.

How one could not have liked this young man, I don't know. Obviously very talented, daring and carrying a good sense of humour, he is of a type that is sorely missed.

And while it's nice that his widow still survives, what manner of survival is it to be living with the knowledge of what might have been with this man had he not made that fatal decision?

#8 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 20:53

Yes a tragedy in and for motorsport. And a another story, which starts with: "What, if....."

#9 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 10:57

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And while it's nice that his widow still survives, what manner of survival is it to be living with the knowledge of what might have been with this man had he not made that fatal decision?

You may find a beautiful answer in the closing pages of her book Allein Flug, in my opinion the best she ever wrote.

#10 hans stuck

hans stuck

• 91 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 15:25

Aldo...loved your interview with Elly...has Allein Flug been translated into english? I would love to read it.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 10:27

Originally posted by aldo
You may find a beautiful answer in the closing pages of her book Allein Flug, in my opinion the best she ever wrote.

Now you have me very interested...

As hans stuck asks, is it in English?

#12 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 17:19

I don't think that Allein Flug is available in English. I also doubt that it could have been a best-seller in the German edition. Yet it's such a good book.
I had those final pages translated into Italian. If someone wants them, I'll be happy to email them.