Photo

Two unknown Estonias

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alexey Rogachev

Alexey Rogachev

• 908 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 08:59

There are two obscure items among the single-seaters produced by TARK in the 1960s, and I hope that Estonian TNF members can help me to solve the riddles that these cars have proposed. The first car is Estonia-13. I've seen some photos of it in magazines, and I can say that Estonia-13 is definitely the same car than Tartu-2 designed by Ants Seiler and M. Mark in 1963 - see photo.

Posted Image

What was the reason of this double name? Here is my assumption. I suppose that the original name of the car was Tartu-2, and it was built by Seiler when working at car-repair factory in Tartu in 1962-63. As far as I know, Seiler returned to TARK in 1964 - possibly with his car! In Tallinn, Tartu-2 was modified and called Estonia-13. Is this assumption right? And what were racing achievements of this car? I only know that it was 2nd in 1964 Kirov Staduim Trophy at Nevskoe Koltso, driven by M. Mark.

Well, I have information and assumptions on Estonia-13, but the second car is a real mystery. Here is its photo:

Posted Image

It is said to be Estonia-8 modified in 1969 by Stanislav Gess-de-Kalve of MADI. But I have to say that I had never heard of Estonia-8 before I read an article where this picture is taken from. When did TARK produce Estonia-8 cars? How many cars were produced? What engines were they equipped with? And what were the modifications that Gess-de-Kalve made? I'll be grateful for any information.